Author Topic: Five days of painting  (Read 3541 times)

BJacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Five days of painting
« on: July 25, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »
My husband and i spent the last five days painting and building a fence at our rental property. I still need another coat of white on the trim and some touch up but good grief I'm glad to be done.

Painting the house was free due to leftover paint from doing our house three years ago. I used about 7.5 gallons of the blue and around a gallon of white. It took 5 days to caulk and paint due to childcare restrictions.

Husband is not a painter so he did all the work on the lovely fence in the background. That cost us about $1200 but we figured it would be worth it if we ever want to sell.

My mother's dog gets a fully fenced yard for the first time in his nine years of life.

All in all it was very satisfying. We have a few more projects to get through still but it's awesome to see progress!

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Five days of painting
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:12:41 PM »
Go you! Projects like that are 1) so rewarding and 2) so great to be finished with.

Looks like a sweet little rental house too.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »
I like that house! And what a great color on it. Great job all around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
That is a great hue of blue, especially offset by the white trim. You should be proud.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »
Looks good :)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »
It really looks nice! I would live there!

Dictator_Mars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »
I'm going to be painting my daughter's house in two weeks as well, great job. feels great when you can do it yourself.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »
Congrats. Just painted the whole interior of a house and I know how hard it is.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 03:13:43 PM »
Me too! I feel like I have a billion touch-up to do. Tape didn't really give me clean lines so I'm going over everything with a tiny brush. Do you have any painting tips?

TrMama

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
Cute house! I especially like how efficient it was of you to paint your primary and rental houses the same color scheme.

Me too! I feel like I have a billion touch-up to do. Tape didn't really give me clean lines so I'm going over everything with a tiny brush. Do you have any painting tips?

I've done tons of interior painting over the years. I hardly ever use tape. For long straight runs I like these gizmos http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shur-Line-4-75-in-x-3-75-in-Paint-Edger-Pro-Design-1000c/202080280

Otherwise I just use a decent angled brush. Get a good one so the bristles stay nice and straight.

The other tip when you're using the roller go from left to right around the room (if you're right handed). If you're left handed, go the other way. This makes it go faster since you're not working against you're own build. Oh, and put on some upbeat music!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »
Cute house! I especially like how efficient it was of you to paint your primary and rental houses the same color scheme.

I've done tons of interior painting over the years. I hardly ever use tape. For long straight runs I like these gizmos http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shur-Line-4-75-in-x-3-75-in-Paint-Edger-Pro-Design-1000c/202080280

Otherwise I just use a decent angled brush. Get a good one so the bristles stay nice and straight.

The other tip when you're using the roller go from left to right around the room (if you're right handed). If you're left handed, go the other way. This makes it go faster since you're not working against you're own build. Oh, and put on some upbeat music!
Oh man, do those things really work? I spent probably $50 on tape alone for the whole house and I would have LOVED that thing for going up to the ceilings. I may get one now anyway to redo those lines and save myself hours of tiny brush time.

TrMama

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »

Oh man, do those things really work? I spent probably $50 on tape alone for the whole house and I would have LOVED that thing for going up to the ceilings. I may get one now anyway to redo those lines and save myself hours of tiny brush time.

There's a learning curve, but yes they're much faster than taping + brush. I know pro painter's scoff at them and just use a brush, but I'm not a pro ;-)

For the areas where you must use tape, get the good blue stuff. I only use the cheaper tape for temporarily hanging kid art on my walls/fridge. It's nice that it doesn't leave any residue, but it's not sticky enough to hold an edge; as you've already figured out.

Also, no need to use a really tiny brush for cutting in (unless it's really, really finicky work around fancy moldings). I use a 2 1/2 brush for just about everything.

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 08:43:52 AM »
After painting the inside of our ~2600sqft multi-family property, and also 2 1200sqft apartments in the past year:

Buy quality paint - for our property, I ended up spending more for Benjamin Moore Regal Select vs. Behr at Home Depot like we did for the apartments.  It was ~$15/gallon more expensive, but the paint seemed much thicker and we were able to get everything coated with 1 coat, optional 2nd in a few areas.  With the Behr, it was basically 2 coats required, optional 3rd.  This saved us a ton of time, and there were also less drips/splatter.

Buy quality roller covers - I've been using the Purdy and Wooster covers and they seem to hold the paint well.  They are ~$12 for 4 in my area.

Buy quality brushes and wash/reuse them - I also recommend Purdy or Wooster for this.  Lowes has frequently had a 3 pack of a 1", 1.5", and 2" for ~$18, which was basically like buying 2 getting 1 free.

If you're doing a lot of trim, pick up one of the small Wooster/Purdy rollers.  I roll the faces of the trim, then brush it in to get the right texture, but it saves a lot of time.  This is especially helpful if you're just freshening up the paint vs. changing the color.  After you roll the faces, you may not even need to cut in along the edges.

Lastly - make sure you clean the area decently well.  In one of the apartments we painted, we realized we didn't even need to paint the trim after a good scrub!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!