Author Topic: First time max of 457 Roth  (Read 2402 times)

ReadyAimFired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
First time max of 457 Roth
« on: January 09, 2016, 06:37:41 AM »
So, on the 4th day of 2016 I walked into Human Resources to max out my Roth 457. I told the nice lady behind the desk that I needed a form to change my elections. The paperwork was a little confusing so I asked the lady if the total on the form was per month, per paycheck or per year as it did not designate. The lady asked me how much I was going to put in and I told her I wanted to "max" it out and she then stated, "um...my goodness...how much is that?"  I told her 18k a year. She took the form and walked into another office and came back to state that I needed to write per paycheck on the designation. I stood in the hallway behind the door waiting for her confirmation that I had filled the rest of the form out correctly and another young lady in the office, oblivious that I was still in the hallway, stated, "did they just say they were going to put 18,000 dollars in their retirement acct?"  The lady handling my paperwork then said, "yes and I am still helping them."

In my mind I could see her pointing in my direction making the unaware, aware to my presence. All I could do was grin.  My fiancé is already maxing out her 401k with her employer and has been for several years.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:50:54 AM by ReadyAimFired »

Murse

• Pencil Stache
Re: First time max of 457 Roth
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:08:30 AM »
This is very badass, congrats :)

Edit:reread the title, have you done the math on Roth vs traditional in your situation?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:15:13 AM by Murse »

ReadyAimFired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:09:41 AM »
I have.... and my wife's accounts are almost all taxable and that is why most of my accounts are not. I do have a pension that is also taxable. :) My 457 only became available as a Roth in 2014 so a majority of my money in that acct is taxable.

Tomuslahm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 04:13:21 AM »
Then the next time when you open. And a silk thread

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:27:12 AM »

congrats, by the reactions of others; you now know how rare that is.

i did that last year for the first time and will again this year.

if you and the wife can do that for 5 years years you can retire if youre a minimalist or 10 years and buy some rentals to generate income; you can retire and do most anything you wish as long as you plan for it and it's not something stupid like a new car every 3 years.

ReadyAimFired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »
Then the next time when you open. And a silk thread

HuH?

ReadyAimFired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 03:49:09 PM »
Congrats Cougar.... we have both had our cars since 2003, mine has 94k miles as I have a take home work car and my fiancé (I call her my wife we have been together 10 years), has a Honda with 240k miles. We have saved a car fund so when her cars dies we already have a fund!

We plan on working 13 more years depending on the market as we want to have over a 1million invested. We will be buying our forever home in retirement.