Author Topic: First step in CC churning a success  (Read 4612 times)

Assetup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
First step in CC churning a success
« on: November 30, 2018, 07:47:25 AM »
Finally decided to give CC churning a go and picked up the Savor card.  Met the minimum spend requirement and made $500.  Who doesn't love free money?

Now I just need to choose my next card!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:50:20 AM by Assetup »

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: First step in CC churning a success
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 09:03:28 AM »
Thanks for that.  I haven't been churning lately to bring my score back up.  But it's there now, so off to the races again.  This one's a good return for the hard hit. 

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 11:11:51 AM »
I love this time of year.  It's double and triple dip season!!!! Also South West Companion pass season. Don't forget or be scared to hit up business cards.

Assetup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »
Thanks Duke!  We don't do a lot of long distance travel but maybe we should plan a extremely low cost vacation next year

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »
I would go for Chase cards soon before you go over 5/24.  Sapphire Preferred and Ink Preferred if you have a business or a "business".

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 04:49:06 AM »
For now I am sticking with the cash back rewards cards with no annual fees. Made $160 back on my first chase freedom card. Got another $160 or so in the next couple of weeks for the next chase card.

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »
Welcome to the club.

We are several years into the hobby and loving the free money and miles.

I would definitely do research before taking the next step.

You cannot go wrong if you begin with: https://www.travelmiles101.com/

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
Chase Sapphire Preferred will give you $500, $550 if you add an authorized user.  The annual fee is waived the first year, as they are with most cards, so I wouldn't look only for no-fee cards.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 03:38:48 AM »
We just got our first CC card to start Churning and went with the CIP Business card

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 07:15:22 PM »
Got out of chase 5/24 and we signed up for 14 cards since July. Haven’t paid for flights or hotels in 6 years and still have 1.5 million points in the bank (most of them being Chase UR) even after traveling and taking many vacations.

We’re low spenders so MS’ing is the only way we’re able to meet all these minimum spend requirements.

Churning has Changed my life.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 05:08:53 AM »
One cool thing about doing this is my credit score is now 800. I started at 750 credit score in October and have earned $320 since then with chase. I'm also paying my bills every day.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 06:22:11 AM »
Just started this hobby a few months ago... thanks to whoever it was here on MMM that recommended TravelMiles 101!!

Husband & I are currently on track to have all flights/hotels on a 10-day Paris/London trip covered for next fall. (2 Chase Sapphire Preferred bonuses already received, Chase Ink bonus should post this month, and several thousand miles accrued with United MileagePlus app & shopping portal.... next on to Hyatt x 2  in January and Marriott x 2 in May).

Oh, and we also used Chase URs to book a fancy French Quarter hotel (Hyatt Centric) for a 4-day trip to New Orleans in the spring!!

I'm kind of kicking myself for not discovering this hobby sooner.... better late than never, though!!

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 06:43:22 AM »
Re: Travelmiles101

It says they don't spam you when you turn over your email, but have you all found that to be true?

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 07:05:40 AM »
Re: Travelmiles101

It says they don't spam you when you turn over your email, but have you all found that to be true?

I took the course a few months ago. I think there were daily emails during the first couple of weeks telling me which section of the course to do that day, but I haven't received anything from them since completing the course. Can't promise that maybe I didn't remove myself from their mailing list somewhere along the way, but I don't remember having to.

I'm very active in their Facebook group because I get tons of great tips there.

jb14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »
I got my CSP in August, met the spend requirement and got the bonus. Referred my wife, who's now done the same, so 10K UR bonus for me, plus she got her 50k URs. What should we do next? Do we have to wait 48 more months before getting another Chase Sapphire bonus? Is the Business Ink card restricted to the same 48 month wait as the other cards?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 07:11:25 PM »
@jb14 The Ink Preferred card is not on the 48 month timeline like the sapphire cards, so you could grab two of those next.

Depending on what business or "business" you have, you should be able to get one with SSN and one with EIN, plus referring the spouse.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 02:46:41 AM »
I don`t own a business, but am I able to get a business credit card?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 03:03:35 AM »

I opened one using my rental house as a business.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 04:53:06 AM »

I opened one using my rental house as a business.

yes- just use your ssn and put business as in your name . Check Sole proprietorship and sales can be zero employees as well. Then when you describe the business you can choose different things like you do buying and selling etc.. 

jb14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 07:48:15 AM »
@jb14 The Ink Preferred card is not on the 48 month timeline like the sapphire cards, so you could grab two of those next.

Depending on what business or "business" you have, you should be able to get one with SSN and one with EIN, plus referring the spouse.
Thanks kpd905, good to know. I think I'll have a look at those two next. I've done the "Business" route before without any trouble. Ink Business preferred looks like the best one to go for, 80k UR/$5000/3months?

JB14

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 08:34:34 AM »

Thanks kpd905, good to know. I think I'll have a look at those two next. I've done the "Business" route before without any trouble. Ink Business preferred looks like the best one to go for, 80k UR/$5000/3months?

JB14

That's what I did.  $1180 net gain for me (80k points + 5k spend, 1.5x multiplier for travel credit w/Sapphire Reserve, $95 annual fee).

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »
Just checked and my wife is at 4/24 now with zero credit cards open in 2018. Will likely be 2/24 by March. I am thinking it's time to start hitting up Chase cards once again. Wondering if I should go ahead and apply for the CSP. I'll be around 3/24 by the middle of the year (opened several business cards this year) and might shoot for trying to get the Southwest Companion Pass beginning of 2020. Man I miss having Chase UR points.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »
My biggest problem with the Chase Sapphire is figuring out how to spend $4,000 frugally in three months. I think that I`ll pay some bills for close family and friends if they front the cash and I can explain why.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 05:08:45 PM »
Just checked and my wife is at 4/24 now with zero credit cards open in 2018. Will likely be 2/24 by March. I am thinking it's time to start hitting up Chase cards once again. Wondering if I should go ahead and apply for the CSP. I'll be around 3/24 by the middle of the year (opened several business cards this year) and might shoot for trying to get the Southwest Companion Pass beginning of 2020. Man I miss having Chase UR points.

The Sapphire cards now require 48 months between cards to receive the bonus, in case you weren't already aware of this recent development.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 04:18:21 AM »

The Sapphire cards now require 48 months between cards to receive the bonus, in case you weren't already aware of this recent development.

I was just reading about that last night trying to play catch-up on Chase restrictions since we last applied. We both got the CSP card back in 2015 so we'll be hitting the 48 month mark this year. Thanks for the heads up.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »
My biggest problem with the Chase Sapphire is figuring out how to spend $4,000 frugally in three months. I think that I`ll pay some bills for close family and friends if they front the cash and I can explain why.

I time such things with my 6mo car insurance renewal, when I need to buy tires, etc and line up as many large / preplanned purchases as possible.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 12:31:46 PM »

I time such things with my 6mo car insurance renewal, when I need to buy tires, etc and line up as many large / preplanned purchases as possible.

What a great idea!  Thanks for mentioning it.  I have done that in the past but mostly by accident.  This would help me plan my next card...

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 02:50:22 PM »

What a great idea!  Thanks for mentioning it.  I have done that in the past but mostly by accident.  This would help me plan my next card...

Medical bills work well too. You generally have a long time before any fees get added on and no interest payment plans are common so there's plenty of time to apply and receive a new card before you must make the payment.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »

Medical bills work well too. You generally have a long time before any fees get added on and no interest payment plans are common so there's plenty of time to apply and receive a new card before you must make the payment.

Thats exactly what I did this week. One medical bill 800$ and one Dentist bill just a tad over 700$

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 04:01:42 AM »
Hmmm...Unless something peculiar happens, it will be hard to break that 4K. I definitely won`t be buying anything that I would ordinarily plan on not buying. In three months my credit card budget is less than $3,000 tops. Maybe I`ll pay my parent`s typical bills like water, gas, cable(they are not willing to go cheaper services), etc. and it should push us over the needed threshold.

JSMustachian

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »
We signed up for the Savor card as well. We decided if we have to pay for daycare for our son we might as well charge it on these cash back cards and make some money off them.

Has anyone signed up for a cash back card in your name and then a spouse's name after receiving the first bonus? I am wondering if Chase would still give the $500 bonus with the same address.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2018, 05:39:00 PM »
We signed up for the Savor card as well. We decided if we have to pay for daycare for our son we might as well charge it on these cash back cards and make some money off them.

Has anyone signed up for a cash back card in your name and then a spouse's name after receiving the first bonus? I am wondering if Chase would still give the $500 bonus with the same address.

Yes they will pay out the same bonus to a spouse.  That's what makes credit card churning so lucrative...especially once you start counting player twos ect.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
Hmmm...Unless something peculiar happens, it will be hard to break that 4K. I definitely won`t be buying anything that I would ordinarily plan on not buying. In three months my credit card budget is less than $3,000 tops. Maybe I`ll pay my parent`s typical bills like water, gas, cable(they are not willing to go cheaper services), etc. and it should push us over the needed threshold.

Buy gift cards for your grocery store or gas station.  Otherwise try to couple it with a bank bonus that will count the funding as CC spend (PNC is a good one).

Assetup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2018, 07:37:31 AM »
You and your SO can both get rewards for these cards!  It's an awesome way to make some extra money just for using a different card for a few months.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
Thanks to all of you who mentioned the Savor. We aren't churners but have $3k in professional expenses coming up and the $500 bonus is much appreciated.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2018, 07:24:09 AM »

Getting a CSP offer in the mail in the same week as the property tax bill is what got the lightbulb to go off.

One transaction, net $460, even after the convenience fee for paying the tax bill with a CC.