Author Topic: FIRE'd at 31  (Read 5253 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
FIRE'd at 31
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »
Since the boards seem to be craving some good old fashioned cheapassity: I FIRE'd last year at 31. I lived on around $1,000 a month in NYC during the last year that I worked. That number includes rent, although not charitable and political donations.

I have been pseudo-homeless since December. I'm wandering around the southern US, staying with forum friends, campaign supporters, and... uh, some internet dates. I'm on track to spend only a couple hundred dollars this month, for food, a couple comedy shows, bus tickets, and my $20 cell plan.

I'm actually working on job applications for a field I'm passionate about and have volunteered extensively in for the last year and a half. It's not for the money. This will end up being a short FIRE-battical, but I look forward to a second career as a SWAMI. The only thing I foresee spending more money on is charity.

I do not own and do not want to buy a car.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
Re: FIRE'd at 31
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
What's a SWAMi?

Do you have a bicycle or just use public transit + uber?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
What's a SWAMi?

Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/30/weekend-edition-retire-in-your-mind-even-if-you-love-your-job/

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 03:27:22 AM »
Sounds like you happy so "Cheers". 

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »
I am incredibly impressed that you lived in NYC for less than $1000. My rent there was $1650, and it was a screaming deal.

The travels around the SE sound amazing. I have a vision of vanlife post-FIRE, but I also want to have kids in the near future so we'll see what affect that has.

fmzip

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »
What's a SWAMi?

I had to google it, I hate acronyms :)

And here I though he went to Hinduism

https://www.google.com/search?q=SWAMI&oq=SWAMI&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&dlnr=1&sei=dphnWqvwMqTejwTr05XoDQ

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »
What's a SWAMi?

I tried biking to work, did it for a couple months, but it got too stressful. 99% public transit, 1% cabs. Maybe less than 1%. I really hated paying for cabs. Thankfully I like walking and have a high tolerance for subway delays.

Sounds like you happy so "Cheers". 

Thanks! I am indeed happy.

I am incredibly impressed that you lived in NYC for less than $1000. My rent there was $1650, and it was a screaming deal.

The travels around the SE sound amazing. I have a vision of vanlife post-FIRE, but I also want to have kids in the near future so we'll see what affect that has.

Thanks! I only got my super cheap rent (~$500 for everything) because I had friends with an empty living room. Most people would not be willing to do that, even if they had the opportunity. I would have paid between $700-900 if I rented a room from a Craigslist stranger.

Where were you in NY? I've lived in luxury high rises and never paid more than $1,350, but I was always in Queens, except for a brief stint on the UWS.

Being a wanderer has been fun! Some stressful moments, but things have all worked out well. Good luck balancing the van and kids desires! I know there are people who do the van thing with kids, so it's definitely possible. Maybe shorter term, but who knows.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:54 PM »

Thanks! I only got my super cheap rent (~$500 for everything) because I had friends with an empty living room. Most people would not be willing to do that, even if they had the opportunity. I would have paid between $700-900 if I rented a room from a Craigslist stranger.

Where were you in NY? I've lived in luxury high rises and never paid more than $1,350, but I was always in Queens, except for a brief stint on the UWS.

Being a wanderer has been fun! Some stressful moments, but things have all worked out well. Good luck balancing the van and kids desires! I know there are people who do the van thing with kids, so it's definitely possible. Maybe shorter term, but who knows.

UES, Yorkville specifically (the cheap part!) I will admit I wasn't particularly mustachian at the time, though always relatively 'smart' with money. I wanted to be within easy access to work (midtown), to be in Manhattan (first time living in the Big City) and to live on my own (recently emerging from heartbreak and needing to re-establish). It was a pretty cute (and rent controlled) studio that was $1000+ less than anyone else I knew living on their own was paying, so I thought it was a good deal at the time!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 08:25:31 PM »
Woo hoo on the FIRE! The Barkinator (AKA "Monkey Jenga Quit Humping That") gives you 4 paws up. Also BIG kudos from me on the political work you've pursued in FIRE instead of being a lazy slacker beach bum FIREee like some people I know.

MJ does a good job impersonating a busy person working on a resume while really falling asleep while sitting up on a chair.

I admire how she's pulled this con off. She should just admit she is lazy! Or call it decompression!

...From a fellow lazy FIRE-ee.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »
Woo hoo on the FIRE! The Barkinator (AKA "Monkey Jenga Quit Humping That") gives you 4 paws up. Also BIG kudos from me on the political work you've pursued in FIRE instead of being a lazy slacker beach bum FIREee like some people I know.

Thanks sparty! Give MJQHT a 4-paw high-5 from me.

I admit, I will miss my original dream of being a lazy slacker beach bum. Hopefully it's only delayed, and not gone forever.

MJ does a good job impersonating a busy person working on a resume while really falling asleep while sitting up on a chair.

I admire how she's pulled this con off. She should just admit she is lazy! Or call it decompression!

...From a fellow lazy FIRE-ee.

I tell everyone that I'm lazy. People argue with me. These people have not seen my napping skills. Only you and pbk know the truth.

UES, Yorkville specifically (the cheap part!) I will admit I wasn't particularly mustachian at the time, though always relatively 'smart' with money. I wanted to be within easy access to work (midtown), to be in Manhattan (first time living in the Big City) and to live on my own (recently emerging from heartbreak and needing to re-establish). It was a pretty cute (and rent controlled) studio that was $1000+ less than anyone else I knew living on their own was paying, so I thought it was a good deal at the time!

Oh yeah, UES studio... You did get a good deal!

It's interesting, I prefer living with roommates. Even immediately after my LTR ended. I'm clearly a weirdo in many areas, though.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
If napping skills are on your resume, you can put me down as a reference.

Make sure they call between 11am and 2pm. Then between 4pm and 6pm. Otherwise I may be sleeping myself, or out doing fun stuff.

Siestas are part of my cultural heritage. I tried using this argument while working, but was unsuccessful in convincing anyone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:51:35 PM by Daisy »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
FIRE'd at 31
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:17 PM »
Oh, I don’t know, MJ. Staggering out of the guest room at 11:00am and yawning extravagantly for the next hour definitely gives you beach-bum status in The Villages, which is a RETIREMENT COMMUNITY. So, GOAL ACHIEVED!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
Thanks for the offer Daisy! You should've worked at my last office, we had "wellness" rooms with reclining chairs that you could book for a quick afternoon nap. Or so I hear. From other people.

Oh, I don’t know, MJ. Staggering out of the guest room at 11:00am and yawning extravagantly for the next hour definitely gives you beach-bum status in The Villages, which is a RETIREMENT COMMUNITY. So, GOAL ACHIEVED!

I object! The Villages are nowhere near a beach. Although I will be a mile from the beach in St Pete's this weekend, so I will get my dream after all, even if only briefly.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 12:01:17 AM »
I'm five years in and I still think naps are one of the best things about being FIRE! Had one today, in fact. Sweet!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 06:10:21 AM »
Congrats. Would love to wonder around the SE part of the country for a bit. Sounds like... well freedom!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!