Author Topic: Find out if you have missing money!  (Read 2585 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Find out if you have missing money!
« on: April 09, 2018, 12:08:55 PM »
See if your State has money with your name on it!

https://www.unclaimed.org/

mrcheese

• Stubble
Re: Find out if you have missing money!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:12:31 AM »
Thanks for this reminder, I just went and searched the Australian version and found a whole $2.44 that I never knew was mine!

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/find-unclaimed-money

px4shooter

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:57:10 PM »
Weird how this stuff wasn't there a couple of years ago. It has been a decade since I did business with either company.

$350 isn't bad for looking.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:26:02 AM »
I've lived in 5 different states and found about 4 different claims for somewhere around a total of $250.  The hoops I have to jump through to claim the $ in my current state requires photocopies of driver's license, social security card, proof of current address (a bill I guess?) AND sign the form in front of a Notary, then mail it all in.  Come on, the claim is less than $50 according to the site... so could be like, $2... or $45, I don't know.  I'll still probably do it because $ is $ haha.  Other states look like they were good with me just filling out an online form...

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »
That list is rather strange. I found unclaimed money for the same last name but a different first name (closely resembles my fathers first name). The street address is the one I grew up on as a child but the city is completely wrong. I am sure its his money but would be tough to claim with the first names not matching and the city being incorrect.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »
That list is rather strange. I found unclaimed money for the same last name but a different first name (closely resembles my fathers first name). The street address is the one I grew up on as a child but the city is completely wrong. I am sure its his money but would be tough to claim with the first names not matching and the city being incorrect.

Maybe they will ask for his SS number and you can verify it that way.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »
Thank you for this, Roadrunner53.

I found property belonging to a deceased relative (who has the same last name).  I'm not the proper beneficiary but I notified the person who is.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:36:17 PM »
Nothing for me, but found some for my in-laws!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »
See if your State has money with your name on it!

https://www.unclaimed.org/

I did this!!  They just sent me a check -- I had $200+ left over from when I was a graduate teaching assistant in graduate school way back in... um... it was a while ago!

Cha Ching!  Thanks for posting, Roadrunner!

Goinganon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »
No unclaimed money for me, but DH is getting $16 back and has to follow up on another one that says that it is “above $100.” Nice find for the day. 

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
confident that I would find nothing, but found $40 for me and $59 for the pops!  now we see how long the processing takes, haha

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »

I suspect someone made a typo. For example, someone at the cable company started typing your address and then their eyes jumped to the next line down for the city.

Found a department store refund for my daughter where the home address had two of the house digits transposed.

If a company mails a check and the check isn't cashed, it become unclaimed property.  Checks mailed to these mixed-up addresses were not deliverable (no such address exists), or returned to sender, or thrown away.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:47:24 AM by beekayworld »