Author Topic: Finally eating after 7 day water fast  (Read 11212 times)

wingfold2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Finally eating after 7 day water fast
« on: June 03, 2018, 06:10:43 PM »
I ate keto food for a couple of days then decided, on the spot, to jump start ketosis by fasting. Only water for 7 days. The first 2 days of fasting were the hardest. It felt like having the flu, low energy and difficulty concentrating. After the third day, I snapped out of it and felt fine with very clear thinking. Admittedly on the sixth and seventh day I was beginning to get short tempered.

The hardest part was falling asleep. Not sure if it's related but the timing suggests so.

I broke the fast today with a glass of water with rice vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and cinnamon. Apparently it's a good way to wake the gut and kill bacteria. Later in the morning I had a nice bone broth. Lunch will be sardines with salad. Slow cooker crispy pork belly for dinner. Yey food!

I'm not a regular about fasting so 7 days was pretty extreme. Fasting is good for the mind and body. Seneca says something about that, to familiarize yourself with meager rations to ward off the fear of them. I'm proud of my accomplishment, but I have a long road ahead to ward off that fear.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:12:42 AM by wingfold2001 »

Stachless

• Stubble
Re: Finally eating after 7 day water fast
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »
Kudos on your self-discipline to make it 7 days...that sounds like a long week!   If I may ask, what prompted this fast?  If it was for weight loss, how much did you lose? 

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »
Congrats! Longest l’ve done was 3 days. Did you have headaches during the fast?

wingfold2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:15:08 PM »
No headaches. I would feel light headed if I stood up too fast, like more than normal. I didn't weigh myself but there's definitely a noticeable difference in gut and face. 6 days in, I had to keep pulling up my shorts because they would slip down.

I did it mostly to jump start ketosis, but there was also just the challenge aspect. It was literally on the spot. After dinner last Sunday, it popped into my head and I just did it. I also read about many health benefits of fasting from studying keto so that was a major factor.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 01:22:43 PM »
Nice job!!  I too once did a 7 day fast, experience was similar to what you report.  I remember on day 4 or 5 I was watching the Food Network and thinking that I was not really hungry but just agitated.  The other thing I remember is that my hands were cold.

Do you think you will do it again in the future?

How do you make crispy pork belly in a slow cooker?  Sounds delicious :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 02:10:59 PM »
Why do you want to kill your gut bacteria?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »
Just as a heads up, it only takes 24-36 hours to get into ketosis. :-) That said, congrats on successfully fasting! Were you getting electrolytes in during that time as well?

wingfold2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 08:05:12 PM »
No plans to do another 7 day in the future, but this one wasn't planned so who knows. Some bad bacteria can accumulate during a fast while your digestive track is resting.

No electrolytes, just water. I suppose a tiny amount of toothpaste went down.
I bike to work but didn't suffer any cramps. There was definitely fatigue, especially near the beginning.

The slow cooker crispy pork belly didn't work the way I expected. I had to finish it in a frying pan with olive oil to get the char. Oh yeah!

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 10:45:35 AM »
Congratulations both on the achievement and just acting on something many people talk about but few do.

I only heard about fasting for multiple days myself, which I would have considered impossible until a friend told me about it a few weeks ago. I drank only water for one day a few days later, then for three days a couple weeks later and wrote about it on Inc., I Haven't Eaten for 3 Days and It's Amazing, as an empowering life experience.

I'll do three-days again, expecting that it will be easier knowing the patterns.

I'll probably get to 7-day water-only fasts at some point. Thank you for sharing, which will make it more likely and sooner.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
Isn't it amazing to discover what your mind and body are capable?

I was introduced to fasting via juicing.  I did it for three days and started having only juice for lunch.  Then I tried a water fast for 3 days and eventually did a 7 day fast.  The motivation for the fast was to reevaluate my relationship with food and the emotional associations I had with food.  This helped me to stop or significantly lower eating sugar and carbs which has helped improve my physical and mental health significantly.

Now, if I can just figure out how not to need sleep or breathing.  ;)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 11:08:58 AM »
Badass! I've done 2.5days. 7days: nice!

wingfold2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 10:06:13 PM »
I'd focus on mindful meditation if I try it again.

From the start, I had an intense preoccupation with food. I found myself planning the meals that I could eventually have. I never really attained inner calmness where the passion of food is reduced. It felt more like I was waiting it out or distracting myself until the end.

Who could maintain tranquility during much harsher ordeals? I don't feel any closer them. I got the automatic health benefits but honestly nothing much deeper than that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:19:39 AM by wingfold2001 »

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.LiveBreathEatKeto.com
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 05:21:32 PM »
Just as a heads up, it only takes 24-36 hours to get into ketosis. :-) That said, congrats on successfully fasting! Were you getting electrolytes in during that time as well?

Lexde - It actually takes 2 - 10 days to enter ketosis depending on the person and how many carbs they are eating, preferably under 20 carbs a day.

Wingfold2001 - Congrats on completing the fast by the way !

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »

Lexde - It actually takes 2 - 10 days to enter ketosis depending on the person and how many carbs they are eating, preferably under 20 carbs a day.

The body can only store a two-day supply of glucose in the form of glycogen, so after two days of consuming no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates, most people go into lipolysis/ketosis.

On just water, it’s going to be between 24-36 hours.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 06:56:35 AM »

The body can only store a two-day supply of glucose in the form of glycogen, so after two days of consuming no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates, most people go into lipolysis/ketosis.

This is correct.

It doesn't take that long to reach ketosis. It can even be shorter if you have a depletion workout in order to use those glucose reserves on your liver and muscles and then not consume carbs at all.

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »

Stage 1 — The glycogen depletion phase — 6 to 24 hours

During this phase, most energy is provided by glycogen. At this point, hormone levels are shifting, causing increases in gluconeogenesis and fat burning, but ketone production is not active yet.

Stage 2 — The gluconeogenic phase — 2 to 10 days

During this phase, glycogen is fully depleted, and gluconeogenesis takes over to provide the body with energy. Ketones are starting to be produced, but at lower levels. The window of time for this phase is so broad (two to ten days) because it depends on who is fasting. For example, healthy males and obese individuals tend to stay in the gluconeogenic phase for more extended periods of time than healthy women.

Stage 3 — The ketogenic phase — after 2 to 10 days

This phase is characterized by a decrease in protein breakdown for energy and an increase in fat and ketone use. At this point, you will definitely be in ketosis. Each person will enter this stage at different rates depending on genetic and lifestyle factors,  activity levels, and if they have fasted/restricted carbs before.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »
i usually take 30 hours to get to ketosis after a workout. How can I tell? My sweat starts smelling like Acetone a little bit.

I have been practicing intermetting fasting for almost 11 years now

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 07:33:59 AM »
i usually take 30 hours to get to ketosis after a workout. How can I tell? My sweat starts smelling like Acetone a little bit.

It takes a shorter amount of time for you because your body has been fat adapted and you are working out. It knows the drill so to speak. Intermittent fasting is a great thing and it's awesome that you have been practicing it for so long. It helps the body in so many ways, including autophagy.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »

It takes a shorter amount of time for you because your body has been fat adapted and you are working out. It knows the drill so to speak. Intermittent fasting is a great thing and it's awesome that you have been practicing it for so long. It helps the body in so many ways, including autophagy.

yeah... when i sarted out i think it took me 3 days to achieve ketosis.

I love intermittent fasting because of the flexibility... I have propensity to gain weight - not overweight by US standards - but around 80+ kilos is easy for me to achieve if i am not careful... Having a super sweet tooth doesn't help.

Since IF, actually I practice mostly the Warrior Diet with a 20 hour period fasting and 4 hour refeed - 16 hours of pure fasting then 4 hours of light eating protein foods and then 4 hours of full eating.

I have never ate so much... I don't care about if I eat cookies or brownies or sweet stuff in the end... My weight has been really in the 74 kg and sub 10% BF ... not to mention the amounts of energy I have. It's like I'm on constant caffeine.

A typical dinner for me:

Thats about 1.5 lbs of salad... 2+ lbs of chicken ... + pasta ...

And then to finish off:

:D

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 09:50:31 AM »
MrSal, this is why I think Keto is so great. I love it and I have started intermitted fasting as well. At first, I thought it would hard but it really does feel natural. I have energy to spare. Good for you for taking control of your body and your health. I personally have lost weight, no more stomach troubles, no more heartburn and like I said tons of energy. I'd love to talk to you about your workout regime while fasting.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:55:05 AM by Daughn »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »
MrSal, this is why I think Keto is so great. I love it and I have started intermitted fasting as well. At first, I thought it would hard but it really does feel natural. I have energy to spare. Good for you for taking control of your body and your health. I personally have lost weight, no more stomach troubles, no more heartburn and like I said tons of energy. I'd love to talk to you about your workout regime while fasting.

How often are you guys fasting on the intermittent regimen?  I try to do one day/week where I basically fast @18-19 hours (dinner the night before until I get home from work the next day @4pm). Actually kinda like the buzz I get in the afternoon!  Been debating doing 2x/week.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »

How often are you guys fasting on the intermittent regimen?  I try to do one day/week where I basically fast @18-19 hours (dinner the night before until I get home from work the next day @4pm). Actually kinda like the buzz I get in the afternoon!  Been debating doing 2x/week.

I fast every day for 20 hours... my regime calls for a feeding window of 4 hours and 4 hours of so called light eating which can only be veggies, low calorie stuff... and the ocassional fruit with low calories... during these low feed hours i usually eat a bowl of cottage cheese+yoghurt with blueberries or strawberries or something similar... or a protein shake...

When I first started doing this, I got a little bit foggy/cloudy head for a day or two...  but then after it was a breeze. I always hate the inflexibility of the 6 small meals per day of normal regimens... especially when i started being a teenager ...so going out with friends and drinking would be a problem...

Doing this allowed me to still go out and enjoy time with friends and drink and still get lean.

Lots of green tea and water...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:41:41 PM by MrSal »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 07:30:03 AM »

I fast every day for 20 hours... my regime calls for a feeding window of 4 hours and 4 hours of so called light eating which can only be veggies, low calorie stuff... and the ocassional fruit with low calories... during these low feed hours i usually eat a bowl of cottage cheese+yoghurt with blueberries or strawberries or something similar... or a protein shake...

When I first started doing this, I got a little bit foggy/cloudy head for a day or two...  but then after it was a breeze. I always hate the inflexibility of the 6 small meals per day of normal regimens... especially when i started being a teenager ...so going out with friends and drinking would be a problem...

Doing this allowed me to still go out and enjoy time with friends and drink and still get lean.

Oof, that sounds rough. I don't think I could do that at my physical activity level (I train BJJ 2-3x/week, rock climb 2-2x/week, and do weights/cardio several days a week on top of that). I need to have calories -- and a lot of them -- before and after those activities.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »

Oof, that sounds rough. I don't think I could do that at my physical activity level (I train BJJ 2-3x/week, rock climb 2-2x/week, and do weights/cardio several days a week on top of that). I need to have calories -- and a lot of them -- before and after those activities.

Never had a problem... Again I started this as a teenager... I surfed 2 hours a day + soccer practices + weight training ... always had lots of energy. In order to attain the calories, I would just add to the main meal high caloric stuff. Olive oil, flax seeds and stuff on the salad ... then the main dish aside from the protein, other high caloric dense stuff.

Currently of course I dont have as much time to do all that, but I still weight train 4x week, and I train for strength so my workouts are draining... I also do HIIT on top of it. I play the ocasional soccer match every now and then...

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 09:23:52 AM »

I’ve been doing OMAD for a week now and like it a lot. So 22:2 fast/feed daily. I do have BPC in the morning which is controversial as to whether it breaks my fast, but otherwise I do 16:8 daily. So it’s doable every day if you wanted to. Do you see benefits from doing it once per week?

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »
You can see benefits from doing OMAD once a week. On average you will lose 1/2 pound for every 24hrs you fast.

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 04:36:53 AM »

Following...  I'm just getting started with fasting:  16:8.  Not ready for OMAD yet, though I see how it could be easily done when I'm not overly starving at lunchtime.

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »

Following...  I'm just getting started with fasting:  16:8.  Not ready for OMAD yet, though I see how it could be easily done when I'm not overly starving at lunchtime.

Just try an increase your time a little bit each day. It will make it easier for you. I like to start my fasting in the morning. That way I already have a head start from the night before and 8 hours through the night. So I wake up already ahead of the fasting game. Then I just keep myself busy. When my mind is occupied, I don't think about being hungry. Also, remember to keep hydrated. Water, tea, coffee. All without sugar of course.