Author Topic: Figured out how to save $2,230 a year today.  (Read 6547 times)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Figured out how to save $2,230 a year today.
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:33:52 AM »
So easy a monkey could do it.

I work with a 12 mile one way commute. 

My 7 year old son attends after school daycare.   

So here is my hack --

I will start working from home 3 days per week, saving $15 per week in gas alone.  Annual gas savings $750

I will have my son take the bus home on all but one day per week thus saving $20 per week on daycare.  = $600 annual savings on after school care.

In the summer I will only have him attend daycare 2 days instead of 5 per week.   Summer savings = $880.

This will both improve our quality of life and reduce our expenses.  Double win!   I will most likely use half the savings for music lessons for the 7 year old.

ginklord

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Figured out how to save $2,230 a year today.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »
Excellent! Nice work.

I've been talking with my company about working from home, and they agreed to it full time! We're selling our second car, saving gas and maintenance, and I get an extra 60 minutes EVERY WEEKDAY to spend with my family.

I'm so glad to be rid of the commute.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:42:23 AM »
Excellent! Nice work.

I've been talking with my company about working from home, and they agreed to it full time! We're selling our second car, saving gas and maintenance, and I get an extra 60 minutes EVERY WEEKDAY to spend with my family.

That will be rocking it!

StangStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »
Excellent! Nice work.

Badass.  Congrats on the work-at-home score. 

falcondisruptor

• Stubble
    • Simple Cheap Mom
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 05:56:43 PM »
Nice hack

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:42:24 PM »

I will start working from home 3 days per week, saving $15 per week in gas alone.  Annual gas savings $750

$15 of gas at $3.163/gallon = 4.74 gallons
24 miles * 3 = 72 miles
72 miles / 4.74 gallons = 15.2 mpg

Your primary commuter vehicle averages 15.2 mpg? Or is gas much more expensive where you live than the national average?

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »
That's a great arrangement.  I'm with you on the after school care- I switched my schedule up this fall to work 7-3 so I can meet my 7 year old off the bus, saving us $85 per week.

But...during the summer, how will you work from home 3 days per week if you're watching your son those three days?  Those two activities seem to be in direct conflict.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 10:06:16 AM »

$15 of gas at $3.163/gallon = 4.74 gallons
24 miles * 3 = 72 miles
72 miles / 4.74 gallons = 15.2 mpg

Your primary commuter vehicle averages 15.2 mpg? Or is gas much more expensive where you live than the national average?

Yep just hideous isn't it!    1999 Mercury Mountaineer. (275K)  Probably averages 17 overall.   I gave my 2001 Toyota Camry to my daughter.  It had 375K and still runs great with 30 mpg.

Bought the Mountaineer for 2K 2 years ago.   If I replaced it with a 10K 30 mpg vehicle it would cost me around $700 per year in investment opportunity costs.  Although, prior to moving to the less commute idea I had considered buying a new ford focus for 13K that would average 34 mpg and save me about $1,200 per year in gas but cost me an additional $500 in insurance.    Plus I would still keep the Mountaineer for camping and hauling kayaks. 

By the way,  in Missouri we usually have the lowest gas prices in the nation and I can buy gas today for 2.70.   

Bottom line -- I may decide to buy a new Ford Focus for around 13K.  Please don't anyone slam me with the idea that I need to buy a 6K used car.   I'm not in debt and in very good shape financially.  I'm 55, so the Focus would probably last me the rest of my life with my long term anticipated average annual mileage of 7,000 per year. 

Thanks for you astute math work! 

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 04:48:52 PM »
Yay to the music lessons!  This is like a quadruple win here.  And get that car-- you won't hear any criticism from me.  I have usually always had used cars, but recently got a prius c  (last model on the floor before new ones came in=great deal); put in on my Fidelity Amex for another 2% off ( paid it off, obviously, next billing cycle).  I have no kids at home so the size is great-- 500#less than a regular prius-- and the mileage is amazing. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »
Yay to the music lessons!  This is like a quadruple win here.  And get that car-- you won't hear any criticism from me.  I have usually always had used cars, but recently got a prius c  (last model on the floor before new ones came in=great deal); put in on my Fidelity Amex for another 2% off ( paid it off, obviously, next billing cycle).  I have no kids at home so the size is great-- 500#less than a regular prius-- and the mileage is amazing.
.                 Nice