Author Topic: Fewer holiday gifts!  (Read 1910 times)

UKMustache

• Stubble
Fewer holiday gifts!
« on: October 05, 2017, 06:43:02 AM »
Today I started telling friends and family that we only intend to buy Christmas gifts for kids going forward.
I also requested that they don't make us uncomfortable by buying us gifts when we aren't going to reciprocate.

I suggested that instead, we visit them or they come to us.  After all, we will have more free time because we aren't shopping.

Everyone so far has agreed and has said it's a nice idea.  We've been putting it off for years because we thought people would be disappointed!

mountainfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Fewer holiday gifts!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 10:56:40 PM »
hooray! my extended family is finally getting on board with the "christmas truce" we have been suggesting for years! Previously, we sent nice consumable gift basket type things to the entire family - nice coffee, chocolate, etc.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 08:38:15 PM »
Congratulations :D I am going with the DIY gifts again this year.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »
We've been slowly introducing this idea, with mixed results. I am going DIY with some gifts this year as well. Unfortunately one side of the family/friends keeps expanding - we'll have to talk about this, to keep spending in line.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
A part of the family has switched to drawing straws: In this group of 8, you don't have to come up with 7 gifts and receive 7, but instead are until the holidays are anonymously selecting one item from a wish list for one person, and only receive on gift. On your list are 3 options not exceeding 35$ dollars in our case. You may keep your list very open to the choices of the giver.

Now all I need to do is figure out what I should put on that list. Something nice that also helps save money somehow?