Author Topic: Excited to spend large sum of money...hear me out  (Read 3644 times)

aneel

• Stubble
Excited to spend large sum of money...hear me out
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:25:24 AM »
For my 6 year career, I have been nothing other than mustachian in my packed lunches, investment choices and regularity. I thrive u deer rules so this is easy for me. So when we needed to find another option for my son who is flailing in kindergarten right now (4 weeks in to a year round Calendar) I was in a bit of a tailspin. I researched and explored every option and alternative almost all of them came with costs and a VERY wide range ($300 - $1,500 per month). I settled on the most expensive solution for various well researched reasons, and I was proud of the fact that we can afford it without blinking. It's akin to FU money, and I'm sure glad we've been disciplined enough to build it up.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Excited to spend large sum of money...hear me out
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 07:58:22 AM »
Congrats for loving your child more than your stache.  Some people can't put family ahead of finances. 

It's great that you were in the position to give him what he needs.

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »
Sorry to hear your son is struggling in kindergarten. As a former first grade teacher, I really applaud your commitment to early interventions. So many parents have the attitude of "Oh well, it's just elementary school. It doesn't really matter how they do." Good for you for being financially, mentally and emotionally prepared to give your son what he needs!

nurseart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »
Money is all about choices, props to you for using your money intentionally so you have more options and the freedom to use money for what is important to you.

I hope he thrives in his new environment!

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 02:55:33 PM »
Our son is on the autism spectrum and we pay quite a lot monthly for him to get the therapies he needs. I don't regret a penny of it. By giving him the best possible start in life we are helping keep him from having to rely on assistance later.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that your son is struggling, but kudos to you for recognizing it, accepting it, and taking action. My wife is an early education teacher in a preschool classroom. She quite frequently has children who need early intervention, and the parents are either in denial or are extremely slow to react. It is so crucial to get the child help as soon as possible so that they CAN thrive in their later years. Great work being in a position to get your son the help he needs, best wishes for your family!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »
Yes, I’m with you on this one.

Our local public preschool has 30 kids per class (1 teacher), and after observing the kids on the playground swearing at each other, pushing the younger kids out of the way, and hitting other kids (these are 3-5 year olds we are talking about), I decided to go the private route.

Now DD is at a wonderful school with a 1:7 teacher-student ratio. She’s learning good character traits and she loves it there. We pay a lot and we travel an hour each way to get to school, but a child’s personal development is more important than money or convenience.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »
IMO, this qualifies as a Fuck You Money story. You can chart your own course when the standard-issue doesn't meet your needs. That's the whole point. Please keep us apprised of the results.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
Best to you and your son. I hope you update this thread in a few months and let the folks here know how your son is getting on.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!