Author Topic: Evil, evil coffee  (Read 37737 times)

sassy1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Evil, evil coffee
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:47:45 AM »
I have officially given up coffee!  A very expensive and unhealthy (I like a lot of cream and sugar with my coffee) habit. 

I think I was spending around $100 per month on the stuff, and that does not include the organic milk to make my lattes or the occasional starbucks trip. 

I plan to sell me expensive capsule espresso maker and milk steamer.  I might get $200. 

The 2 weeks of withdrawal were totally worth it. I am now interested in eating breakfast, not tired in the afternoons, and I am newly pregnant and caffeine is not the best decision. 

I think I will pat myself on the back.    Anyone else kick this habit? 

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
Re: Evil, evil coffee
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »
Ummmmmmm, not even close.  It's somewhere on my to do list, but there are other lower hanging fruit I am attending to first.  But good for you all the same!  Congratulations.

Rickk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »
Good for you (pat on back).

I had to give it up to get off of stomach medications (I had persistent GERD that I was permanently on prilosec for).  Giving up coffee was a requirement to get off the meds, and yes I am living just fine without the coffee now.
And yes - it is quite a savings (although I still occasionally drink rooibos tea - which tastes a lot like regular tea but doesn't mess with my stomach - and does not have caffeine). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos

Deimyts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »
I tend to go through cycles - Caffeine tolerance both builds up and fades pretty quickly, so whenever I notice myself getting a little too dependent, I try to cut back a little. I'm on a downward cycle right now, easing up on the caffeine to reduce my tolerance back to where I can get a nice buzz from a single cup again.

I've gotten myself down to 1 cup a day for now, but I supplement it with plenty of tea. In a week or so I'll likely drop that last cup, and drink just tea for a while, and after that, if I'm feeling extreme, no caffeine at all for another week. Then I'll remember why I like coffee in the first place and start all over again.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »
I've quit... several times.

Currently quitting again. Sticking to green tea.

The main reason I started drinking coffee was to compensate for lack of sleep, which isn't very healthy. Add ot that several hundred calories of sugar and creamer a day, and it's a recipe for disaster.

So yeah, I'm currently in recovery.

You never really overcome your addiction. :)

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:27:23 AM »
Awesome, congratulations!  I switched to tea and feel a lot better. Coffee gave me the shakes so I'd end up eating something crappy to feel better.  Plus not spending a couple bucks a day is even better!

Luck better Skill

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
  Not a coffee snob, never liked Starbucks, yet I do not intend to give it up.  I drink very few soda's now as I first reach for coffee.  Diet soda is not an option as I am allergic to aspartame.  And I sure don't put a dozen spoons of sugar in a cup of coffee. 
  If it works for you, great.  I am the dissenting opinion.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 01:07:41 PM »
One of the results I had not anticipated from 23andme genetic testing was whether I was a fast or slow metabolizer of caffeine.

Turns out I am a slow metabolizer (husband is a fast metabolizer). Being a slow metabolizer increases heart attack risk caused by caffeine. So I gave it up with no problems and find I am slightly less "buzzy."

(And being a fast metabolizer explained the mystery of him being able to drink coffee at 9pm and fall fast asleep a few hours later!)

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 01:24:48 PM »
One of the results I had not anticipated from 23andme genetic testing was whether I was a fast or slow metabolizer of caffeine.

Turns out I am a slow metabolizer (husband is a fast metabolizer). Being a slow metabolizer increases heart attack risk caused by caffeine. So I gave it up with no problems and find I am slightly less "buzzy."

(And being a fast metabolizer explained the mystery of him being able to drink coffee at 9pm and fall fast asleep a few hours later!)

I never knew that there were different levels of caffeine metabolism!  Now I know why any caffeine after 12 PM keeps me up until midnight (and I guess why I can easily get by on one cup a day).   Not so good news about the heart attack risk...

I'm thinking 23 and me will be our Christmas presents this year!

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »
I've recently quit, but mostly due to a personal experiment regarding inflammation. 

Coffee doesn't have to be expensive though.

Deimyts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »

True. One thing that can help, even if you care about the taste, is to brew it with spices. Cinnamon and cardamom are some of my favorites. Add it to the ground coffee before brewing, and you'll get a nice flavor that isn't as overpowering as buying flavored coffee. It still doesn't beat good coffee, but it can make bad coffee palatable, without resorting to tons of sugar and cream.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »

True. One thing that can help, even if you care about the taste, is to brew it with spices. Cinnamon and cardamom are some of my favorites. Add it to the ground coffee before brewing, and you'll get a nice flavor that isn't as overpowering as buying flavored coffee. It still doesn't beat good coffee, but it can make bad coffee palatable, without resorting to tons of sugar and cream.

Yeah, I've done the cinnamon/nutmeg thing before.  I learned to drink coffee black a long time ago, during my first bout of the Paleo diet.  I actually enjoy it much more that way (unless it's made WAY too strong, where a bit of cream can cut the strength). 

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
I quit drinking Mt. Dew in the morning, so I can totally relate to your accomplishment. I was addicted to the sugar as much as the caffeine. It was hell on earth for awhile there.

I now drink a dose of Braggs apple cider vinegar, 1 part cranberry juice and 2 parts water. Best stuff ever. It has cured my indigestion and dry skin issues.

I follow up with iced tea throughout the day. I don't miss the 25 lbs I lost so far this year. Adios sugar!

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
Good for you!

I gave it up a few years ago, because it contributed to my headaches...howler monkeys in my cranium awful headaches.  I feel better, spend less and am a happier person in the morning. 

I do get a bit wistful when I bike past the local coffee shop.  It looks so warm and lovely in there.  Sure, I could stop in for a cup of something hot, but it just isn't the same. 

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 11:03:36 AM »
I'm going on day 5 without coffee... I still have some dark roast beans in my pantry, though.. and my French press mocks me...

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
I've given up caffeine twice in my life: in college for a couple of years and then again for about 4-5 years when I was preparing for conception/pregnant/nursing/pregnant/nursing. My youngest had chronic ear infections which resulted in her not sleeping through the night until she was almost two and a half YEARS old. I had to get through a 10 hour work day somehow, so once I weaned her the coffee came back. In a big bad way. Like all day long.

Now I've cut back significantly, but I still enjoy a cup or two in the morning. The rest of the day I drink water or herbal tea. And I'm fine with that. I love a good cup of joe in the morning.

Deano

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »

I'd be curious to see a definitive link between caffeine and heart disease.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »
Good for you.

I could probably quit coffee, but I don't want to. There is not one piece of me that wants to give it up. Sometimes when I go to bed at night, I am already looking forward to the first cup of coffee in the morning. I love it. I remember the very first time I smelled coffee as a child. I loved it before I ever tried it. I've got it bad.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 08:00:30 PM »

I'd be curious to see a definitive link between caffeine and heart disease.

Just quoting what I was told on 23andme.com. Could be well researched. Could not be well researched. If you are curious, research it.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 11:06:01 AM »
I think I will pat myself on the back.    Anyone else kick this habit?

Quite the contrary, actually. I was never a big fan of coffee, but a couple of years ago I began drinking it regularly after reading about some research that links coffee consumption to Alzheimer's prevention. My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when she was 50 years old, and she had been going downhill for many years by the time she was diagnosed. She is now 55 and lives in an assisted living facility and does not know who I am - but she does know that she loves me and gets excited when I go to see her, so at least there's that. There's nothing that I find more terrifying than Alzheimer's, and any little thing I can do that might help, I am going to do it. I now love coffee and I drink about 4 cups most days.

I will say that after I discovered MMM, I got on a bit of a health kick, so I cut out high-calorie beverages. That means I now drink my coffee black - no cream, no sugar, and no artificial sweeteners. Sometimes I will add a little honey or a splash of milk if I'm not in the mood for black coffee. Also, caffeine doesn't seem to affect me the way it does some folks. My wife drank a cup of coffee a few weeks ago at around 8 PM and was up cleaning the house until after midnight. I had two cups and was sound asleep by 10 PM.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »

Sounds like that's for people who don't care about the taste of the coffee.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 01:14:42 PM »
wow! i am not even close to kicking that habit.  i love my morning coffee.  a lot.  i probably won't ever have the desire to quit

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
I don't even slightly desire to quit. Then again, I mostly drink decaf.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »
I love coffee.  I cut back some years ago, but joyfully increased my consumption when I read it's good for the brain.  NY Times, June 6, 2013, "Well" column.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:10:18 PM by Dee18 »

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Coffee has such mixed research propraganda.  Kind of like eggs.  If it's making you feel better by quitting it then great!  I enjoy my morning ritual of starting the day off with freshly brewed coffee and don't think I will ever have the desire to quit.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
Good job!  It's hard to kick a habit.  I have not given up coffee but I did give up drinking it with sugar in it.  I never thought I could enjoy coffee without sugar, and it took a couple of weeks, but I really actually like it now.  I'm trying to completely eliminate sugar but that's not going quite as well.  I've reduced my consumption, at least.  Baby steps!

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 12:54:33 AM »
I drink coffee every day and I can't see myself stopping because I figure it is cheap and more than likely healthy. I get costco coffee beans and have my own machine. I drink espresso say 5-7 cups per day.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »
I don't even slightly desire to quit. Then again, I mostly drink decaf.

When my mom found out I was drinking decaf (at the time), she strongly recommended I only drink coffee decaffeinated via the "Swiss Water Process". She wasn't a fan of the normal decaffeination process, which uses a bunch of chemical solvents to dissolve out most of the caffeine.

I thought this was another slightly off, likely misinterpreted Mom Idea, but checking on the web (like here, for example), looks like she was on to something. Sounds like they at least don't use benzene anymore, but I guess it depends on how you feel about ethyl acetate or methylene chloride. Not being a chemist, I am not sure how big a deal this is.

FWIW.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:18:50 PM by JamesAt15 »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »
Interesting article. I'm not concerned, but then I'm not a chemist either and as far as I know I'm invincible, so take that how you will.

Decaf drinkers: half the reason decaf sucks is the decaffeination process, but the other half is coffeemakers using shittier beans for the decaf versions of products because consumers aren't willing to pay more for decaf (sez Alton Brown). If you're drinking shitty decaf now, you could spend a little bit more and get half as shitty decaf.

Deimyts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 02:12:54 PM »
Sounds like that's for people who don't care about the taste of the coffee.

Haha, fair enough. I meant it more as a way to bring terrible coffee up to 'palatable.' It still doesn't compare with good coffee, for sure. But it has helped me from wasting some very cheap and very awful beans that I would not otherwise have been able to drink.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
I love caffeine and will drink anything resembling coffee, but not too much because one cup after 4 pm will keep me up to 2 or 3 a.m. (cheap and wild date). I was turned off of Starbuck's (thank goodness) many years ago when they never had any non-dairy creamer (and I acquired lactose intolerance from a bad GI infection 15 years ago).  There have been many, many, many studies on caffeine, with many done by the military, all with less than super conclusive results. 

If tea didn't make my heart conduction go haywire, I'd live on green tea (search ECGC on Google Scholar).

Oddly, decaf makes me much more jittery than regular coffee; we all metabolize things differently.  So much so, that specialties are arising in the assessment of this, especially across lines of ethnicity.

burly

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 06:03:22 PM »
Reading this post makes me want coffee.... maybe I should consider quitting...

decibelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 08:56:03 PM »

I never knew that there were different levels of caffeine metabolism!  Now I know why any caffeine after 12 PM keeps me up until midnight (and I guess why I can easily get by on one cup a day).   Not so good news about the heart attack risk...

I'm thinking 23 and me will be our Christmas presents this year!

I cannot give up coffee.  Specifically, GOOD coffee.  It is enough for me to drink a latte every other Saturday morning as a treat. 

My 23andme result says I'm a fast metabolizer.  I've been recommending 23andme to everyone!

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 12:12:52 AM »
Good for you.

I could probably quit coffee, but I don't want to. There is not one piece of me that wants to give it up. Sometimes when I go to bed at night, I am already looking forward to the first cup of coffee in the morning. I love it. I remember the very first time I smelled coffee as a child. I loved it before I ever tried it. I've got it bad.
This. Coffee and dark chocolate are two pleasures I'd never give up (except for health reasons, should they come up).

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:38 PM »
I have officially given up coffee! 
... and I am newly pregnant ...
Well, now I'm afraid to stop drinking coffee...

I was pretty much fueled by caffeine from 1982-2002 (submarine watchstanding, then parenthood) and coffee has always smelled good.  I quit in 2002 for about six months in favor of green tea.  Then I started bringing coffee back (along with the green tea).  Every morning is now 24 oz of green tea followed by 12-36 oz of black coffee (depending on how busy things get). 

Coffee has also been linked with improving athletic performance, so I'll always have a cup before working out.  And if I'm going surfing (especially during the winter) then I'll have the cup or two before paddling out.

Putting cream, sugar, and spices in coffee is just a waste of good coffee.  Or a waste of good cream, sugar, & spices.

keepingmobens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »
We are not prepared to give up coffee, however we have minimized the cost. We buy folgers from Costco for .20 cents/oz, and Walmart sells a lesser known brand for .16/oz, but we haven't tried that yet. We used to use the sweetened creamer at .10/oz, but we've switched to regular half and half bought at Costco for less than half that, combined with regular sugar also bought at Costco in 25 lb sacks.

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 05:15:55 AM »
I gave up coffee at home (on rare occasions, I will have some sort of ridiculously caloriffic Starbucks concoction) but I replaced it with tea, which is more expensive. I've cut down on some of the cost by brewing my tea in the coffee maker (1 bag in the carafe, then run just hot water through it and let it steep) so I get 5 cups out of a bag at least.

Fawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »
You will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Love coffee.

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »
I actually like the flavor of coffee (black) but i don't drink it very often (don't have a need for it). 

I was addicted to diet pepsi for a while before i saw the light about the evils of soda (diet soda especially), now i won't go anywhere near any of it. Smells like battery acid, what did i ever see in it???

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »
You will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Love coffee.

+1

Deimyts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »
but I replaced it with tea, which is more expensive.

Have you tried drinking looseleaf tea? Here you can get a pound of decent black looseleaf tea from an Indian supermarket for about 5-6 dollars, which is a little cheaper than a pound of decent-tasting coffee, although more expensive than terrible coffee.

But with tea, you only need about 1 tsp. of leaves per 8 oz. of water, so that pound lasts a lot longer. I bought this particular box several months ago and have barely made a dent in it, and I drink a lot of tea.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »
So, I un-quit coffee this week.

Yeah, I know. But, I only drank half of what I normally drink. Still doing green tea, too.

I guess I'm just limiting my dependence on it. But man, is freshly ground and pressed coffee awesome!

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2013, 12:47:47 PM »
Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I switched to tea when I was pregnant and it helped with the morning sickness too boot!

HOWEVER, when baby was born and needed feedings every three hours tea didn't cut it anymore and went back to coffee instead.

We use the "old-fashioned" drip machine and a ten dollar tin of grounds once a month and it tastes pretty good with skim milk and a drop or two of stevia.

KonaFred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
Some opinions from a coffee farmer and coffee drinker...

1. Not all coffee has the same effect on people. Some coffees are less acidic than others and have different chemical profiles. As an experiment I serve my coffee after dinner to guests and have found that almost all are able to sleep well with no midnight insomnia. I don't know if I've created the response by telling them it won't keep them up, but it works. My wife gets the shakes from SB and some other brands, but is fine with our Kona. Not entirely scientific, but interesting nonetheless.
2. Coffee doesn't have to blow a hole in one's budget. A really good coffee (such as an Estate grown Kona Coffee) is close to 50 cents a cup if brewed at home. I see the retail coffee drinkers paying 600% what they should at $3.00 for a flavored, dairy-ed, sugar laden cup.
3. Just like knowing your farmer, the closer you get to the source the better the quality and lower the cost. Having a high quality origin coffee fresh roasted and brewed right is not only extremely affordable, it has a flavor that is hard to match. A real wow factor when people taste it. No alterations needed to make it palatable.
4. I maybe drink a little too much coffee, but I view it as supporting the industry. I enjoy tasting other coffee and will drink a SB brewed, but always black. The way I see it, just because I'm  not riding in my Ferrari, doesn't mean I want to walk.

Aloha

Deimyts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 01:42:23 PM »
Coffee doesn't have to blow a hole in one's budget. A really good coffee (such as an Estate grown Kona Coffee) is close to 50 cents a cup if brewed at home. I see the retail coffee drinkers paying 600% what they should at $3.00 for a flavored, dairy-ed, sugar laden cup.

Where do you buy it, and how do you brew it,? (method, grounds to coffee ratio, etc.)

KonaFred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »
Aloha Deimyts,

I'll be happy to drop you a PM for the URL to my family's farm direct website. Being new to the forum, I don't want to abuse my welcome with advertising.

Unless you do your own roasting, the best option is to order whole bean, fresh roasted. If it's been roasted and sitting around for months in its bag the freshness is gone. Grind it yourself (I use a very cheap, $12 model). Best quality brew method for most is simple french press, but a normal drip works fine as well. Here's good concise link to the National Coffee Association page that captures all you'll need to know.

http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=71

A hui hou,
Fred

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 07:22:22 PM »
I've recently quit, but mostly due to a personal experiment regarding inflammation. 

+1 to not having to be that expensive.  I'm a huge coffee snob and don't spend more than $30/mo on beans for two people.  Drink it black, filters are a negligible cost.

in2themild

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Taking a year off at 29 to travel the country
    • in2themild
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:29 PM »
I have some vices that I would like to give up, but coffee is absolutely not one of them - totally cheap considering the enjoyment derived, and if you learn to drink it black (the only way it actually tastes good), it's fantastic for you by almost every metric.  Cheers!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
I'll be happy to drop you a PM for the URL to my family's farm direct website. Being new to the forum, I don't want to abuse my welcome with advertising.
Fred, could I have that URL too, please?

Your family's not the one who lost an excavator in a lava tunnel collapse while planting a crop, are they?

mrm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Mike and Lauren on YouTube
    • Mike and Lauren
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2013, 01:51:25 PM »
I'm coming up on two months without it.  I quit mainly because I didn't like the feeling of "needing" it.  After getting through the first 3 days, I felt so much better.  I have energy all day and no headaches. 

Just this weekend I talked about selling the coffee maker.  I'm over it.