Author Topic: Emergency Sewer Line Replacement in a Day  (Read 2122 times)

Enough

• Stubble
Emergency Sewer Line Replacement in a Day
« on: June 23, 2018, 05:36:40 AM »
This has to do with an out of town triplex that I've owned for a couple years now.  Sewer line was backed up and, from the property history, I know roots have been cleared on about a two year frequency.  I do flush copper sulfate down the upper clean out every year to try to prevent.

Called a company to rooter the line and -long story shortened- ended up with broken clay pipe exposed to the yard and sewage making it to the front yeard  (image sent from property manager):

The day that I got the above image, I called 811 (call before you dig) to have the property marked and a day later I drove into town to tackle this project.

Got to the property at 8:30AM
Picked up the excavator at 10:00AM
Went to buy the pipe and fittings at 12:30PM
Pipe installed by 3:00PM
Hole Refilled by 4:00PM

Costs:
Excavator Rental: $306
Pipe and Fittings: $135
Gravel (filled in underneath to support pipe): $35
Landscaping (15 bags of topsoil, 10lb grass seed, straw, fertilizer): $75
Total: ~$550
vs Contractor Estimate: $2,200

Few pictures:

scottish

• Magnum Stache
Re: Emergency Sewer Line Replacement in a Day
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »
Wow.  Just wow.   You got the job done in 1 day?    Have you done this before?   (Used an excavator, joined the line to the sewer, etc.?)   

How did you join the line to the sewer main, anyway?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
Holy shit. (No pun intended.) This is impressive.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 03:46:26 AM »
Wow.  Just wow.   You got the job done in 1 day?    Have you done this before?   (Used an excavator, joined the line to the sewer, etc.?)   

How did you join the line to the sewer main, anyway?

It was a 1 day job by necessity - the triplex is occupied and I couldn't keep the water off longer than 12 hours.  I've done quite a bit of plumbing work in the past, but never used an excavator.  The line (luckily) switched from the old clay to PVC about 4' from the main line, so it was easy to tie into. Used a sheathed fernco fitting 6"plastic/pvc to 6" plastic/pvc.  Couldn't use a glued PVC coupling as the old PVC was standard sch 40 while the new PVC was sch 35 (specific to underground sewer codes).

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 08:49:48 AM »
No permits or inspections required? That is quite surprising!

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »
No permits or inspections required? That is quite surprising!

Negative on both.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »
I actually came to this sub-forum to brag about saving $100 on a service call because I just diagnosed and unclogged an obstruction in the outlet of our septic tank.  That was a really crappy problem to have (groan), but it was easy to fix.  After reading your thread, my accomplishment seems pathetic by comparison.  Thanks a lot, jerk!  :D

But seriously -- hat's off to you.  I'm impressed both with the work you were able to do, and the cost savings!

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 07:12:46 PM »

I just finished a similar project for a drainage tube in my lawn.  It was plugged up somewhere and was overflowing at the tube entry point where the downspout feeds into it.  I didn't rent any equipment, although I did buy a second shovel.  I had to do some digging and replaced a section of the drain tube that was packed with mud.  I flushed out the remaining tube for a while.  Spent less than $10 on new tube, $10 on the shovel.  No fun and lots of sweat, but I got it done for about $20 total out of pocket.