Author Topic: Econo Eggs vs. Embarrassment  (Read 4030 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Econo Eggs vs. Embarrassment
« on: September 15, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »
I've never done this before but the deal was too good to pass up..

Aldi had a sale on a dozen eggs for 68 cents!  Anyways there was a limit of 6 dozen per customer!  I paid $1.38 per dozen last week and we ate like 4 dozen eggs between the two of us.  I had to figure out a way to get 12 dozen instead of six!

Anyways I got the customer in front of me in line to ring them up under them in a separate transaction, which I paid for.   So that's how I got 12 dozen eggs for 68 cents lol.

Would you do that to save $4 per week?  I didn't feel embarrassed at all, lol!  They had a lot of eggs there!

(Fortunately I have two identical efficient, yet inexpensive, fridges side by side, in a mirror image fashion with both handles facing each other  -- so lots of space it what is effectively a double wide fridge.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:13:46 PM by JenniferW »

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Econo Eggs vs. Embarrassment
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 05:39:40 AM »
Well that's just a gross amount of eggs. ;-)

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:20:37 AM »
T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:02:42 AM »
Wow!  that's a lot of eggs.  But good job thinking outside the box :)   I bet the person who helped you didn't mind at all and probably enjoyed it. 

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:24:51 AM »
I’m still confused as to what the embarrassment would be about?
Asking a stranger to help?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 07:51:32 AM »
Well done.

I having been getting around the "per customer" limits using my offspring to hand over things like coupons since they were big enough to see over the counter. Not embarassing at all, and the vast majority of cashiers could not care less.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:12:46 AM »
I'm pretty sure getting around "per customer" limits was 99% of why my dad had children ;) Poor Fred Meyers lost so much money on our family over the years.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
Giggles.

Yeah it is an obscene amount of eggs.. but I don't eat any grains due to being diabetic.   We eat a keto diet here.  I've lost a lot of weight in the past couple years ditching carbs and my cholesterol has improved dramatically despite personally eating so many eggs :). Blood sugar which over 300 most of the time is now in low 100's all the time.

We usually eat scrambled eggs and bacon every morning.  Or say an omelette, frittata, fried eggs etc other mornings.  (We also eat a lot of fat but only cold pressed fat or fat from an animal -- nothing refined or poly.)

My HDL used to be in the 30's and Triglycerides were over 300.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:08:23 PM by JenniferW »

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »
We do it all the time at our local grocery. I will buy the limit in one transaction, DH will buy the limit in a second transaction, oldest child will buy the limit in a third transaction, and the youngest child will buy the limit in the fourth transaction. Since we typically shop together and with cash, this is not a big deal.

We also live within blocks of the grocery store so have been known to go back a day or two into the sale and pick up another round.

Usually we employ this strategy with items that can be frozen (cheese, frozen veggies, butter) that don’t go on sale super often at that price. We have done this for eggs as well with a limit and just purchase enough to get by for a month as long as we have the fridge space.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »
I'm not sure why another customer had to be involved in this at all. Why not just do 2 transactions yourself. Also 68c is a great deal this year for eggs but I've seen 19c eggs at Aldi.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »
Giggles.

Yeah it is an obscene amount of eggs.. but I don't eat any grains due to being diabetic.   We eat a keto diet here.  I've lost a lot of weight in the past couple years ditching carbs and my cholesterol has improved dramatically despite personally eating so many eggs :). Blood sugar which over 300 most of the time is now in low 100's all the time.

We usually eat scrambled eggs and bacon every morning.  Or say an omelette, frittata, fried eggs etc other mornings.  (We also eat a lot of fat but only cold pressed fat or fat from an animal -- nothing refined or poly.)

My HDL used to be in the 30's and Triglycerides were over 300.

wow, impressive cholesterol levels, nice work!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
Thanks :) I just now finished an omelette.  I eat like 6 eggs minimum per day it seems.  I use an egg when I make my flax seed wrap -- since I can't eat pita bread.  I use eggs in a lot of keto recipes.   I personally eat like 3 dozen eggs per week!  Cholesterol has gotten better since I ate more eggs and quit all the grains & sugar.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 08:18:52 PM »
Thanks :) I just now finished an omelette.  I eat like 6 eggs minimum per day it seems.  I use an egg when I make my flax seed wrap -- since I can't eat pita bread.  I use eggs in a lot of keto recipes.   I personally eat like 3 dozen eggs per week!  Cholesterol has gotten better since I ate more eggs and quit all the grains & sugar.

I must know more about this flaxseed wrap!  Can you share a recipe?  The ones I've googled have no egg, but still look awesome.  I can't have pita bread either, and I need something on which to spread pumpkin cream cheese for the next few months.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »

36 eggs per week for 1 person?  Are you serious?

5 eggs per day?!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 09:28:06 PM »

36 eggs per week for 1 person?  Are you serious?

5 eggs per day?!

Definitely. Easily.  I eat 3 eggs for breakfast everyday, often with 2 slices of pork bacon.  I put an egg in my grainless "bread" items like flax seed wraps for example.. or fat head pizza crust (almond flour, mozarella, egg). I literally eat no grains or cereals nor potatoes.  Eggs do wonders for raging diabetics like myself.  Keeps my blood sugar normalized.  I eat like 30g of carbs per day.  I eat tons of above ground non starchy veggies.. lots of salads.  Only fat I eat is olive oil, coconut oil (both cold pressed) as well as non-hydrogenated fat from animals.. no refined oils.  I basically eat like a hunter gatherer.. no refined grains, lots of veggies, animal meat & fat and berries -- berries are my only fruit because they are lowest in sugar.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:33:39 PM by JenniferW »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »
Wow, ok.  I am not familiar with some of those health challenges.  Glad it is working for you!!  Hope it keeps you off or minimizes the meds too.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »
Wow, ok.  I am not familiar with some of those health challenges.  Glad it is working for you!!  Hope it keeps you off or minimizes the meds too.
Thank you :)

Before, when I ate little fat, little eggs, and tons of grains:
1) Blood sugar > 300 mg/dL most of time.
2) Triglycerides > 300
3) HDL around 39
4) Blood Pressure: 155/85 or so
5) Pulse: 95
6) Weight 100 lbs more than I do now

After I quit grains and started eating more fat & eggs :
1) Blood sugar 100 to 135 mg/dL all day
2) Triglycerides: 105
3) HDL 65
4) Blood Pressure 110/70
5) Pulse: 72
6) down 100 lbs.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:11:22 AM by JenniferW »

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 04:58:41 AM »
Hi JenniferW, I am curious: How long have you been following this diet? How much meat are you eating and are you at an ideal weight?

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 02:55:41 AM »
Yes I eat plenty of meat.  And no I am not "ideal" weight yet.  But I have lost 100 lbs.  Takes a while to lose weight when you are severally insulin resistant like I am.   Continually improving my health.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 05:49:37 AM »
i'm just curious.. how long can you keep eggs in the fridge before they go bad?
at 36 eggs a week, 144 eggs would take a month to consume..

[edit] - found the answer : 3 weeks..
https://www.incredibleegg.org/cooking-school/tips-tricks/egg-storage/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:51:45 AM by Reader »

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 06:23:40 AM »

If they're fresh local eggs, as much as a year, I've been told.  I've probably done up to about 4 months myself with no ill effects.  They do start to dry out a little, which is weird.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 07:19:03 AM »
I'm not sure why another customer had to be involved in this at all. Why not just do 2 transactions yourself. Also 68c is a great deal this year for eggs but I've seen 19c eggs at Aldi.

Our Aldi won't let you. If an item has a limit it is so other customers also have the chance to get the item at a great price. You could probably come back later in the day, or the next day.

But limiting to 6 dozen eggs when they are under $1 I so that one person doesn't scoop most of them up.

I don't see what the OP did as frugal, but as cheating the system. Just buy more the next day like anyone else would.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »

It depends if they’re washed or not.
Unwashed eggs last a lot longer.

Eggs sold in stores in the US are always washed.

You can crack them and freeze them though.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
Well that's just a gross amount of eggs. ;-)

I saw what you did there!  :)