Author Topic: Dumpster Diving  (Read 68346 times)

MountainMan

• Stubble
Re: Dumpster Diving
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2014, 11:46:27 PM »
I have been going for the past 6 months or so. I've gotten it to where I only hit the convenient local spots or other places as I'm there, but at the local Aldi, over the last few weeks I've found:

50+lbs of apples, about 1/2 were organic
30 lbs of grapes
15 containers of raspberries
6 limes (in high demand)
4 bags of onions
5 heads of cabbage
4 heads of cauliflower
4 bags of oranges
5 containers of blackberries
2 large containers of blueberries
24 lbs. of pork chops

Wow, this is an impressive haul of the sort that can make a serious dent in food costs.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »
This thread got me all excited to go see what I could find, but I checked online first and it turns out dumpster diving is actually illegal in my city... boo.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »
So run for city council and get that law changed!!  ;-)

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2014, 05:47:59 AM »
I have had the same experience, Happy. I also live in Australia, and the dumpsters I my town are locked. I suspect that health officials see it as counterproductive if food beyond use by date is dumped, and then people retrieve it from a dumpster.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2014, 07:22:09 AM »
I suspect that health officials see it as counterproductive if food beyond use by date is dumped, and then people retrieve it from a dumpster.

My friend who dumpster dived would bring expired food to work, he didn't tell anyone. After some people got upset because they didn't realize they were eating expired food, he got told not to bring anything from his dumpster dives to work, which really bummed me out because I was getting to read a lot of magazines I liked but not enough to buy.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
My DW already thinks I'm in a cult, so not for me. But fascinating!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2014, 11:58:46 PM »
I have had the same experience, Happy. I also live in Australia, and the dumpsters I my town are locked. I suspect that health officials see it as counterproductive if food beyond use by date is dumped, and then people retrieve it from a dumpster.

In my last city, our church locked their dumpsters because people were dragging stuff out and vandalising/littering with it, and they had a spate of arsons too.  Sometimes it's not so much about big brother being evil, but more about the little guy having to deal with morons. 

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2014, 10:00:07 AM »
Great read! Very interesting. I'm sure you've seen this but if not:  http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/01/22/trader-joe-ex-president-to-open-store-selling-expired-food/