Author Topic: Dropping to 4 day weeks  (Read 10892 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Dropping to 4 day weeks
« on: August 27, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »
I've started dialing back my hours officially.  I'm on FMLA til Oct. 8th in which i've been taking every Friday off working 4-8s to 4-9s on any given week.  Today i started the process to officially go to 90% - 4-9's I was planning to go to 4-8s but i'm really working 36 hours most weeks so I figured why not just get paid for the exta hours vs donating them.  Pretty awesome feeling to hopefully not work a friday again for the rest of my career. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Dropping to 4 day weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 02:13:39 PM »
yeah thats what we're doing this for right - time.  and a 10% pay cut to get 52 more days off per year that doesnt really delay my FIRE timeline noticeably b/c we're in compounding mode is just fantastic.  I wake up every Saturday like oh shit its not sunday i get a second saturday.

Full Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »
That's awesome!  I can't wait to get to that point.  I did take every Friday off in June and July this summer and it was amazing!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »
I worked four days a week for about a year before I FIREd. It's every bit as great as you would think.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »
How do you find these jobs, you all must be engineers

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 04:52:26 PM »
How do you find these jobs, you all must be engineers

Yeah. I'm actually a project manager now but engineering degree and still at the firm I started with

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 05:01:04 PM »
yeah thats what we're doing this for right - time.  and a 10% pay cut to get 52 more days off per year that doesnt really delay my FIRE timeline noticeably b/c we're in compounding mode is just fantastic.  I wake up every Saturday like oh shit its not sunday i get a second saturday.

How did you approach your management to get this done?  Curious..  Small, medium or large co?

Thanks for any info you are willing to share!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »

How did you approach your management to get this done?  Curious..  Small, medium or large co?

Thanks for any info you are willing to share!

Large company. And I just asked. It was coupled with the birth of a child  It's common for them to let women do this so it would be sexist to not allow me. We are also seeing increases in turnover of millennials at a company with extremely low turnover so they are doing everything they can to keep us happy. I have a very approachable management team and my projects are very profitable
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:17:28 PM by boarder42 »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »
Thanks @boarder42 !

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
Hard to say no to a good employee asking to spend more time with their family.

swinginbeef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 06:23:52 AM »
how far are you from being completely finished working? I'd like to request something like this but I'm still quite a ways from full FI and don't really want to clue in the overlords that their dollars are holding less and less power over me. I'm comfortable with my time to FI, based on my current salary and saving rate, but would be interested in all future "raises" coming in the form of reduced hours instead of increased dollars.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 06:30:19 AM »
how far are you from being completely finished working? I'd like to request something like this but I'm still quite a ways from full FI and don't really want to clue in the overlords that their dollars are holding less and less power over me. I'm comfortable with my time to FI, based on my current salary and saving rate, but would be interested in all future "raises" coming in the form of reduced hours instead of increased dollars.

we are ~5-6 years from full FI.  we will hit the 1MM networth mark in September. with around 800k invested.  our FIRE number to live completely off of investments is 1.7-2MM dollars invested.  I have some side hustles that i dont plan on lasting like selling tradelines that brings in 20k and could decrease this number.  We're also not factoring in inheritance which could further reduce this number.  I dont want to rely on either of these but if we did that could reduce our annual need by 35k making us only need 40-45k to cover our spending.  which means we're probably a year away from being do whatever the hell we want kinda money. 

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
In my case, I worked for a small company with a government contract. The company had just won the contract, and all my co-workers and I were hired by the new company. One of the new company's metrics they were judged on for performance was retention of the people from the old contract to the new one. I took advantage of their situation to hint that I'd be less likely to stay on if they didn't let me go to four days a week. They readily agreed. That was actually a really good company. They've continued to grow and I think most of their employees are happy.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »
Talked with my boss today and he basically said anyone could do this for any reason he didn't really care what the reason was.  We have pretty good management here.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
I will probably consider asking for a similar deal when we hit 500K. We're currently closing in on 250K, so almost halfway there. Good for you. I can see myself working happily for a much longer time if I had a three-day weekend every week.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 02:41:36 PM »
Congrats! In the past I've done Fridays off for a period of time, and Wednesdays off for a period of time.  I loved the long weekends with Fridays off, but with Wednesdays off there was something really awesome about only working 2 consecutive days in a week.  Every Wednesday felt like a standalone holiday, and the anticipation of that impending day off really improved my mood on Mondays and Tuesdays.  I'm tempted to say it was even better than a 3-day weekend, but I haven't decided for sure yet!

Anyway, downshifting is definitely part of our FIRE plans as well.  We'd like to gradually downshift to...maybe 2-3 days/week and then stay there as long as we still enjoy our jobs.  I could afford to do 4 days right now, but I'm too addicted to maxing out the pre-tax accounts, and we'd have to dial back our savings if I cut my hours.  And -- just for you boarder42 -- I'd like to have our mortgage paid off before downshifting.  ;)

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 06:40:31 AM »
Congrats!

I cut back to 4 days a week this spring, and hubs is cutting back to 4 days a week starting this coming week!  He is very excited- he's been feeling burned out for months now.

He doesn't hate his job and I like my job a lot, so we will hang out here for a year or maybe two, then possibly cut back to 3 days a week.  I need the health insurance.

I didn't take a pay cut from full time (I take occasional evening and weekend phone calls in exchange), and I have a feeling DH will be just as productive in 4 days as 5 (he's on an "eat what you kill" model).

Honestly, this schedule may not have occurred to me if I didn't visit this site. (duh)

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 11:02:12 AM »
Jealous!! Can't wait to downshift next year! Enjoy!

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
I'm envious as well.

My company is NOT that flexible.  I'm an Engineer.  Been here 9 years.

I am the first person in our department to be granted WFH on Fridays (or any day).  I was told repeatedly that it isn't policy, everyone will want to do it (so???), etc.

I did try to get a 4 day from the start, but it wasn't considered at all.

I've compromised in my own way...I slack off work even more on Fridays.

Kakanui

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 05:30:14 AM »
I started working a 4 day week in 2000, my week was 3 mornings teaching 9am-12pm + an hour or so prep time.  My brother-in-law started a 4 day week (4x 10 hr days) a couple of years back and loves it.

In my homeland (NZ) some companies have recently been experimenting with this "novel" idea and found it lifted productivity: https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/105580963/fourday-work-week-liberating-empowering-exciting

My only beef is public holidays. It is a tad annoying when everyone gets your day off and places that are usually quiet during the week have people about... It is also better to work Monday's rather than Friday's here as there are more public holidays on Mondays.

Still, as penance for my crimes of enjoying a 3-4 day weekends I'm working full-time (what was I thinking?) as a volunteer in a developing country this year. After a few months I am still struggling to see how people get used to a 2 day weekend. One day is taken up with housework, shopping etc  and that leaves one day to enjoy, bugger that for a regular gig. Life's too short.

My former employer back home is keen for me to return and am happy to next year if he can find a max of 2 days per week for me to do, otherwise I'm not interested.

Kakanui

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 06:14:11 AM »
Haha my choice to take Friday over Monday was due to the same reason. In the US there are more Monday holidays we only have one guaranteed Friday holiday each year and that's the day after Thanksgiving. 

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 09:43:50 AM »
Awesome!

I had done some playing with projections and found that going part time wouldn't really impact our date that much.

My wife is probably going to switch to 3 day weeks (9 hour days) next summer and I will follow her 6-12 months later. That is, of course, assuming both of our employers sign off on it, which is the biggest hurdle.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 02:11:31 AM »
I am now working 80%, starting this week! I am looking so forward to it. I have been at mo company for 4 years and got an awesome review last year. But I told my boss I had a lot of stress last both, both from work and privately, which she knows about. I also said that the long weekend we have are the best parts of my live and let us make trips and get our minds off work. I want to work 80% to have more of those long weekends. Told my boss that DH is also going to work 80%. I got it approved without discussion. Maybe they want to keep me happy and make sure I won't leave.
I have chosen to take Fridays off, but promised to be a bit flexible.

In my previous job I once asked to work an hour per day less, because the train commute was costing me so much time. That was refused immediately. I don't work there anymore.

DH is trying to get his 80% in the form of a sick leave after he has had his operation. Last year he really lost his health because of his job, so we think this is very realistic. If the doctor doesn't agree, he will reduce his ours officially.

I do now have a paying side-gig that I can do in the autumn. Currently 4 hours a week, but I will increase it a bit in the coming weeks. It is a hobby-related thing that I enjoy doing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:13:11 AM by Linda_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 02:16:53 AM »

In my homeland (NZ) some companies have recently been experimenting with this "novel" idea and found it lifted productivity: https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/105580963/fourday-work-week-liberating-empowering-exciting

The article is all about the upsides of it. But it is necessary that people can afford it. I am already told by a young colleague that he also wished he could work 80%, but could not afford it.
So I think it is a good thing for people who make more than enough income, but perhaps don't really realize it. But it should be an individual choice to do cut down your hours.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
The article is all about the upsides of it. But it is necessary that people can afford it. I am already told by a young colleague that he also wished he could work 80%, but could not afford it.
So I think it is a good thing for people who make more than enough income, but perhaps don't really realize it. But it should be an individual choice to do cut down your hours.

I thought the whole point of this forum was about figuring out how to spend money more efficiently so you have a surplus.  Presumably, that person is not talking about "It would cut into my savings rate" with "I couldn't afford it."

If you default to the "Monthly net zero" approach to spending, and are spending 40h/wk of income, of course you can't afford less income. :)

I've done an 80% schedule at various points, and it's awesome.  Depending on tax brackets, the total hit to takehome is less than expected, and the ability to get things done "in town" on Fridays when everything is open is awesome.  Plus, three day weekends.  Except for all those four day weekends.  There's also more time to do stuff around the house/property that might otherwise be hired out.  Lawn service?  Nah, I'll just do that when everyone's at work on Friday.  Same for assorted improvements.

And, honestly, I'm more productive at work on a 4 day week.  If I'm left with a thorny problem, I can think through it on the weekend while I'm doing something totally unrelated to it and have things to try when I get back to work.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
Can confirm, 4-day weeks are awesome. I started this summer and I don't plan on ever working a 5-day week again in my life. Like Malkynn said, it's a very civilized way to work.

It doesn't even affect my FIRE timeline very much, because (1) compounding is doing most of the work in my portfolio anyway; and (2) because of marginal tax rates, you can get 20% of your time back for less than 20% of your salary. That sounds like a great bargain to me.

If your job doesn't offer this as a benefit, don't be afraid to ask! The power of FU money means that we can be the trailblazers. Future generations of workers will thank us.

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »
Thats fantastic :)! Its kind of different but my brother is a nurse and works 36 hours a week in 3 days. He has so much time to mountain bike or go to random cities or whatever when the mood hits him.  Are you getting pretty close to full FIRE?

With how it works that any extra past your spending is 100% savings rate I would be tempted to just stay full time and knock it out as quickly as possible.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »
With how it works that any extra past your spending is 100% savings rate I would be tempted to just stay full time and knock it out as quickly as possible.

By that logic, why not take as much overtime as you absolutely can?

It would depend on how one likes one's job and what else is going on in life.

I work somewhat less hours than I absolutely could right now, because I like the work/life balance generated.  I'm not in some headlong rush to retire, because I enjoy what I spend my time on, but I also enjoy my time with my family and working on the property.  Extra free time generally goes to property work, which is being done with the long term goal of reducing cost of living, regardless of what happens to the economy.  I'm spending next year putting in a very large solar power system with battery backup, for instance.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 09:53:30 PM »
Thats fantastic :)! Its kind of different but my brother is a nurse and works 36 hours a week in 3 days. He has so much time to mountain bike or go to random cities or whatever when the mood hits him.  Are you getting pretty close to full FIRE?

We're 5-6 years away regardless of this time I've cut.  And I like my job I just don't need more money I want more time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 01:10:16 AM »
Can confirm, 4-day weeks are awesome. I started this summer and I don't plan on ever working a 5-day week again in my life. Like Malkynn said, it's a very civilized way to work.

It doesn't even affect my FIRE timeline very much, because (1) compounding is doing most of the work in my portfolio anyway; and (2) because of marginal tax rates, you can get 20% of your time back for less than 20% of your salary. That sounds like a great bargain to me.

If your job doesn't offer this as a benefit, don't be afraid to ask! The power of FU money means that we can be the trailblazers. Future generations of workers will thank us.

This was our idea as well. The highest scale of income has the highest tax rate. We think working 20% less will cost 15% less nett income.

At my department no one worked 80%. There is one co-worker who works a full workweek in 4 days and takes Fridays off. He lives far away and sleeps on the premises during the week. I didn't feel like working 4 long days. I got my 80% without problems, telling them I needed to reduce stress levels. I think they are anxious to keep me.

Our FIRE stash is mostly depending on what we can sell our house for. When we are selling, probably spring 2019, it is important that we are able to spend enough time on preparing it for sale and having it look as good as possible.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:55:40 AM by Linda_Norway »

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »

We're 5-6 years away regardless of this time I've cut.  And I like my job I just don't need more money I want more time.

Sounds like an easy choice then =]. Have any good plans for the extra time?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »

Sounds like an easy choice then =]. Have any good plans for the extra time?

Yeah we just had a baby. More time with her.

Once you get to a certain level compounding takes over. This year we may make more than we put in.

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 01:28:15 PM »
When I first started working after college, we had a 10 day on, 4 day off schedule.  So you'd work your 80 hours (8 hours a day) consecutively then have four days off.
There were four of us so two go thurs and fri's off and two got mon and tues off.

I volunteered for the mon/tues so I would work wed through the following friday and then have sat, sun mon tues off.  I liked having the 4 days off although that first day off on saturday was mostly just relaxing and recovering.

I work 8 5's now and want to  eventually drop fridays altogether but sadly my company doesn't allow it. When I'm ready to FI I will approach them with it and give them the option to either let me do 4 8's or I can just go.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 07:31:19 AM »
I just had my "goals for the coming year" - talk at work. There it was mentioned that I am now working 4 days a week. My boss commented that it was very good that people take responsibility for their own health. Maybe more people should consider it.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 07:49:13 AM »
I just had my "goals for the coming year" - talk at work. There it was mentioned that I am now working 4 days a week. My boss commented that it was very good that people take responsibility for their own health. Maybe more people should consider it.

Quite a different culture here vs in Socialist European countries i expect to get pressure to go back full time after a year of this.  we'll see how i like it.  ;) is what i say.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »
I've started dialing back my hours officially.  I'm on FMLA til Oct. 8th in which i've been taking every Friday off working 4-8s to 4-9s on any given week.  Today i started the process to officially go to 90% - 4-9's I was planning to go to 4-8s but i'm really working 36 hours most weeks so I figured why not just get paid for the exta hours vs donating them.  Pretty awesome feeling to hopefully not work a friday again for the rest of my career.

it appears you have used for free time very productively.  that is, if trolling people about boats, eating out, big trucks, etc. is productive.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2018, 10:11:11 PM »

it appears you have used for free time very productively.  that is, if trolling people about boats, eating out, big trucks, etc. is productive.
Oh shit, it made me laugh so loud I woke up my husband. I was sorry to see the eating out thread go. We have some wickedly sharp members here and it's always good to laugh at yourself on at least a semi-regular basis. The more, the better, in fact. Or is that the more, the merrier?

One

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2018, 11:08:17 PM »
Sounds good but have you paid off your mortgage yet?

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2018, 11:09:44 PM »

Oh shit, it made me laugh so loud I woke up my husband. I was sorry to see the eating out thread go. We have some wickedly sharp members here and it's always good to laugh at yourself on at least a semi-regular basis. The more, the better, in fact. Or is that the more, the merrier?

Wait, the eating out thread is gone? Noooooooo......I missed it! What happened?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 03:58:55 AM »

It was very cunning!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2018, 03:59:24 AM »
Sounds good but have you paid off your mortgage yet?

No because I'm not an idiot.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2018, 06:53:57 AM »

It was very cunning!

I had read a bunch of it, but I missed how it ended up disappearing. *sigh* I guess that's what happens when I have to be a working stiff; I miss all the good forum action.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2018, 11:58:44 AM »
Today I had my first Friday off without having obligations. Took a walk in a forest in a normally crowded area. It way nice and quiet. I also shopped and felt very different from most of the other shoppers. They looked like retirees or jobless.  A need to get rid of my own predudices.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
Today I had my first Friday off without having obligations. Took a walk in a forest in a normally crowded area. It way nice and quiet. I also shopped and felt very different from most of the other shoppers. They looked like retirees or jobless.  A need to get rid of my own predudices.

Yeah I'm out on the lake surfing right now. Pretty great.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »

It was very cunning!
And linguistic

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2018, 02:41:08 PM »

It was very cunning!
And linguistic

Glad someone picked up on that.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2018, 03:24:43 PM »

It was very cunning!
And linguistic

I think @APowers did too, or I just have a dirty mind.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2018, 03:34:12 PM »

It was very cunning!
And linguistic

You're right. I didn't even see that reply.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »

It was very cunning!
And linguistic

Well, I didn't before, but I do now. SMH.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »

Speaking of gone, it finally happened. After several warnings, our dear, curmudgeonly, B42 got himself banned.

What bothers me most was that he tangled with a couple of newbs, lost his temper, and pissed off the mods one too many times. Now we've lost a Walrus, and the newbs will likely be gone in a month, having contributed next to nothing. I miss him already. He will be fine, of that I am sure, but his smart, passionate voice will be sorely missed.