Author Topic: Dropping Dollar Shave Club!  (Read 12895 times)

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Dropping Dollar Shave Club!
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
     Shaving: it's something many of us do and for those of us who do, we hate paying for "premium" razors.  This leads us to look for (or maybe we already found) cheaper alternatives so we can put even more into our savings!  DSC was my answer but as time ticked by I found myself saying "I'm tired of paying $9/ mo for razors" so I soon switched to their $6/mo plan.   After a few months or two years rather I decided to cancel that in place of a safety razor.   Two weeks in and my here are my thoughts

-Takes a bit longer, at first
-closer, more comfortable less irritating shave
-Cheap! Cheap!
-did I mention it's cheap?

So all in all I'm happy to say goodbye DSC   

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Dropping Dollar Shave Club!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
I started using an old fashioned safety razor about five years ago.  It's awesome.  I spent about $60 on the razor handle, soap bowl, and badger brush, then maybe another $5 on a pack of razor samples.  That lasted me the better part of 4 years, I just recently spent $10 on a new pack of razors.  Overall, $75 over the course of five years, and my razors will probably go for another five or ten years.  You're right, dirt cheap. Much closer shave too, and there's something gratifying about the old-fashioned manliness of it. 

I do knick my chin just about every shave though, this long and haven't quite figured that out.

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
I started using an old fashioned safety razor about five years ago.  It's awesome.  I spent about $60 on the razor handle, soap bowl, and badger brush, then maybe another $5 on a pack of razor samples.  That lasted me the better part of 4 years, I just recently spent $10 on a new pack of razors.  Overall, $75 over the course of five years, and my razors will probably go for another five or ten years.  You're right, dirt cheap. Much closer shave too, and there's something gratifying about the old-fashioned manliness of it. 

I do knick my chin just about every shave though, this long and haven't quite figured that out.

agreed that it's much more satisfying.  You mentioned a soap bowl and badger brush?   I've thought about picking up some of that fancy stuff but haven't brought myself to yet.   Is it a big upgrade from good ol' barbasol?

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:09:36 AM »
I wouldn't call it an "upgrade" just a difference.  I always used Nivea instead of Barbasol too, a touch pricier but for me it was only a few dollars per year.  With the bowl & brush, It feels more like you're pampering yourself, but it takes more time to prep.  You can get cheap "starter packs" from Target or Amazon...not sure about the used market on these things, but some higher quality brushes can go upwards of $80-100.  If you wan't to go that route, I'd suggest start cheap, my starter pack hasn't given me any problems, but make sure you get a nice, well-reviewed soap, and maybe a good pre-shave lotion too.  The soap lasts longer than any can of shaving cream and a nice lotion really feels like a barber shop shave at home, and makes the cut smoother. 

I got this one:
https://www.target.com/p/van-der-hagen-premium-4-piece-shave-set/-/A-14950422

No complaints other than some occasional rogue badger hairs that come out of the brush, not sure if this happens on more expensive versions but only a minor inconvenience on this one.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:12:45 AM by Dr.Optimus »

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »

You definitely have to change your technique when you switch to
"safety" razors.  I take multiple 1cm strokes and hardly ever nick
myself -- maybe minor nicks 2-3 times per year.  It also helps if
you're not rushed. If you're in a hurry, you may be more likely to
draw blood.

There are some useful tutorials on youtube.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 10:28:06 AM »
I've been slowly working my way through a multi-pack of disposables I got for Christmas, but I'd prefer a long-lasting solution.  Do you sharpen a safety razor blade or is that replaced? If replaced, how often?

I use Cremo for lather.  The bottle says "90 days," but I can make it last 6 months.

px4shooter

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »
Isn't DSC just remarketed Dorco blades?

I heard that before and never bought into their plans.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:24:30 AM »
I also have been using a safety razor for a while. I also had a problem of nicking my Adam's apple (I don't shave my chin) no matter how small my strokes were.
What I did to avoid it was to stretch my skin just off my apple  in order to have a flatter surface. The chin might be a bit harder, but it's something to try.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »
We ditched Dollar Shave Club sometime last year, though it was mainly because we had built up such a glut of razors. The razors can last much longer than a week before there is significant deterioration in quality, so we'll be working through our stash for awhile before we either need to resubscribe or find an alternate solution (maybe bulk Dorco?).

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »
I've been slowly working my way through a multi-pack of disposables I got for Christmas, but I'd prefer a long-lasting solution.  Do you sharpen a safety razor blade or is that replaced? If replaced, how often?

I use Cremo for lather.  The bottle says "90 days," but I can make it last 6 months.

The razors are disposable.  I believe they can be sharpened, but they're very cheap.  Mine usually last about 4 shaves before they start pulling the skin, but I don't have a very thick beard so I may be able to stretch mine further than people with Viking genes. 

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Platinum-Double-Safety-Blades/dp/B001QY8QXM/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1524853769&sr=8-3&keywords=safety%2Brazors&th=1

100 blades for $10, if each blade lasts 3 shaves that only about 3 cents per shave.  Even if you change every two shaves that's still only 5 cents. 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »

Yup, they sure are. DSC is currently using the Dorco Pace 6 Plus. $10 buys you four cartridges, it's clear Dorco's upped their prices since to exploit the DSC ship jumpers. Not hard to tell, just look at the pictures - it's clearly the same handle and blades.

It's worth noting, however, that Dorco uses the same head connector for their three blade through seven blade Pace cartridges, so you can just swap over to the cheaper Pace 3 blade cartridges. It'll probably leave your face feeling less like hamburger after using, too.

Speaking of, one of the reasons why you're getting a better shave, Dougstache, is because more blades does not equal a better and closer shave. The multi-blade arms race in shaving's gotten ridiculous, and it's mostly been done to charge more per cartridge and potentially make the blade wear out quicker by making it harder to clean between the blades and dry off. The best thing you can do to extend the longevity of a razor blade is to keep it clean and dry when not in use, and have enough of a gap between the blades to easily clean it out after use.

For those not gutsy enough to go back to safety razors or a straight edge and miss (or never knew) the simplicity of the old Gillette Atra/Sensor blades but stopped using it due to the cost, Dorco's Pace Comfort Thin II blades will actually work with the Gillette Atra/Sensor handles, and they're a buck a cartridge.

And a tip for the women if you don't know this already: Your Gillette Venus handles? The handle mounts are identical to the Mach3, and the men's cartridge replacements are usually cheaper than the women's. Gotta love the pink tax. The Mach3 connector has come out of patent now as well, IIRC, and generics are available now. Walmart sells Equate branded Mach3 compatible blades now, and there's generics available elsewhere as well.

That's all I've got to add to the conversation. If you need me, look for the dude who only needs three minutes a week to use the Wahl clippers on his beard.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 02:12:10 PM »
Am I the only one who gets multiple months out of a cartridge? I never tried a monthly shave club simply because I don't need a new cartridge every month (and because, as a consequence, it's taken me years to work my way through my last Sam's Club bulk purchase). Even with fancy-pants Fusion cartridges at $2-$3 each, I'm still looking at about $1/month with my current shaving system*.

[* Plus "shave gel" which is actually just lathered shower gel. I'd have to wash my face anyway, so that's a freebie!]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:14:16 PM by dcheesi »

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 02:33:02 PM »
Wow quite the knowledge on this subject!   I was always thinking that DSC was a re-branded "name" brand razor that was made generic and marked down in price.    It never occurred to me that it would be a generic that was marked up in price.   As for the shave soap suggestion I might give that a shot.  The safety razor I have is actually the same brand as the starter set you linked (Van Der Hagen)  and all in all I'm happy with it.  To any considering making the switch I highly recommend it

Oh and at least for me as a regular shaver due to work requirements I can't imagine using the same cartridge for a whole month... a bit more than a week and it's about time to switch it out

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »

And a tip for the women if you don't know this already: Your Gillette Venus handles? The handle mounts are identical to the Mach3, and the men's cartridge replacements are usually cheaper than the women's. Gotta love the pink tax.

You are my new hero.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 04:15:25 PM »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »

Yup, they sure are. DSC is currently using the Dorco Pace 6 Plus. $10 buys you four cartridges, it's clear Dorco's upped their prices since to exploit the DSC ship jumpers. Not hard to tell, just look at the pictures - it's clearly the same handle and blades.

It's worth noting, however, that Dorco uses the same head connector for their three blade through seven blade Pace cartridges, so you can just swap over to the cheaper Pace 3 blade cartridges. It'll probably leave your face feeling less like hamburger after using, too.

Speaking of, one of the reasons why you're getting a better shave, Dougstache, is because more blades does not equal a better and closer shave. The multi-blade arms race in shaving's gotten ridiculous, and it's mostly been done to charge more per cartridge and potentially make the blade wear out quicker by making it harder to clean between the blades and dry off. The best thing you can do to extend the longevity of a razor blade is to keep it clean and dry when not in use, and have enough of a gap between the blades to easily clean it out after use.

For those not gutsy enough to go back to safety razors or a straight edge and miss (or never knew) the simplicity of the old Gillette Atra/Sensor blades but stopped using it due to the cost, Dorco's Pace Comfort Thin II blades will actually work with the Gillette Atra/Sensor handles, and they're a buck a cartridge.

And a tip for the women if you don't know this already: Your Gillette Venus handles? The handle mounts are identical to the Mach3, and the men's cartridge replacements are usually cheaper than the women's. Gotta love the pink tax. The Mach3 connector has come out of patent now as well, IIRC, and generics are available now. Walmart sells Equate branded Mach3 compatible blades now, and there's generics available elsewhere as well.

That's all I've got to add to the conversation. If you need me, look for the dude who only needs three minutes a week to use the Wahl clippers on his beard.

As a lady, I discovered long ago that men's razors are cheaper than women's. I used Gillette Sensor for years, then DSC for a while. They thought I was a dude and kept trying to sell me beard softener. Eventually I realized that it was slightly cheaper to buy a bulk pack of Dorco cartridges. I use the four-blade ones. Six seems excessive, two was insufficiently luxurious for my hedonic tastes.

I have heard of ladies using safety razors but I prefer MORE safety, thank you very much.

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »
the 6 is so excessive.  When I switched from 6 to 4 I was expecting a decline in shave quality along with the price. What I found was only the price to have gone down and quality to go up slightly, per my skin anyway

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
Yeah, two-three blades is technically the sweet spot with multi-blade setups, and much safer if you're prone to accidents. The greater the physical distance between the eyes and the skin with more arm extension, the better the safety margin with more blades. I can appreciate that. Same with some of the Venus handle designs. However, four seems to be the beginning of overkill and the introduction of shorter longevity.

Another couple tips for blade longevity: Remember how I mentioned that moisture and gunk is the enemy with razor sharpness? Don't store the razor in the shower or next to the sink. After you clean the blades well, dip it in iso-91 rubbing alcohol and shake to dry it out, then lightly smear with baby oil and keep the blades covered while not in use. Outside of physically dulling due to use, oxidation is the quickest blade killer. It's all about sequence and care. If you sufficiently soften and moisten the hair before shaving (shave after showering for five minutes or so) and do this, you should be able to get the blades to last a fair bit longer. If that's not enough to help you stretch your shaving money and you already have access to liquid nitrogen? You could always do a 24 hour cryotemper on the blades as well.

Beyond that, the best way to save on shaving is to stop fighting the hair that G-d gave you.

It's funny. There's so much old-school "man advice" typically tied to depression-era military basics and rationing that's been lost over the years due to our disposable society, and even unfortunately kept from the fairer sex... like proper razor blade care and how to properly clean and care for leather. Real shame, that. My wife was amazed at how much longer her leather shoes last once I taught her how to use saddle soap and mink oil.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:55:45 PM by Daley »

Steve Ainslie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ainslies.org - becoming a better man
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »
I highly recommend this.

After getting fed up with the prices for Gillette cartridge refills I bought a Merkur safety razor plus a bag of assorted blade sample packs off Amazon 8 years ago. Cost me about $35.

It took me a couple of shaves to get used to a single blade.

Giving the finger to Gillette made it worthwhile.

I still have plenty of blades left although since I'm semi-retired now I only shave twice a week.

The razor itself will outlive me.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »
Am I the only one who gets multiple months out of a cartridge? I never tried a monthly shave club simply because I don't need a new cartridge every month (and because, as a consequence, it's taken me years to work my way through my last Sam's Club bulk purchase). Even with fancy-pants Fusion cartridges at $2-$3 each, I'm still looking at about $1/month with my current shaving system*.

[* Plus "shave gel" which is actually just lathered shower gel. I'd have to wash my face anyway, so that's a freebie!]

Back when I used Mach 3s I could stretch a cartridge out for months.  A 4-pack would last a good year.  The Equate brand "disposables" I'm using now (flimsy 3-blade units) I'm able to use for about 4 weeks. My wife is using them as well.  At the rate we're both using them we won't have to buy anything new until the end of the year. They came in a 20-pack. 

It doesn't seem to matter what blade or technique I use, my neck is raw and bleeding every morning.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 06:46:02 AM »
I don't understand this stuff at all. $60 for a brush? And outrageous prices for blades? Are they electric shaver blades?

For ****'s sake, just get an old fashioned T shaped razor blade holder and a pack of 2 sided safety razor blades.   Cheap as hell (or should be). Or buy a pack of plastic disposable razors. What are they, 50 cents ****ing each, or even less? I use them too, and they shave nice and sharp for at least 10 shaves. Problem solved.   

When I hear the Dollar Shave Club commercials I want to scream. It's like they're saying "Are you tired of paying $100 for one apple?" (Umm, no, dude, no one pays $100 for one apple. What planet are you on?)   

"Buy your apples from us at Dollar Shave Club! We only charge $80 for one apple!"  (Ummm, dude, I'll continue to get my apples for 50 cents each at my local store.) 

I really just don't get it. 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:50:56 AM by slackmax »

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 08:21:58 AM »
I spend maybe $30-35 a year on shaving equipment. 

I get a box of 52 disposable razor blades(2 blades each), and use 1 per week. Depending on the brand, probably costs $20-25 for a box. Then I get a thing of shaving soap at Walmart, costs about $4. I already have the brush. The shaving soap lasts a long time(6 months to a year) and feels much better than anything else I've used. It raises the hair perfectly so that even shaving with a disposable razor feels great. It's a huge improvement over the expensive razors and expensive shave gels.

I tried the T shaped 2 sided safety razor. It just took longer to shave with if I wanted to avoid nicks. The cheap disposable blades shave just as good, but they are more user friendly early in the morning when you aren't quite awake yet.

TheThirstyStag

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »
I picked up a tip on the MMM forums a year or two ago regarding honing your blade.  I still use mach 3 blades, but after each use I hone it by running it backwards along the soft part of my forearm.  I get a few months per blade nowadays.

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
There are some huge liquid nitrogen storage tanks at my place of work.  I'm not so sure the safety management would be thrilled if I threw some razors in it though

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 01:53:59 PM »
I just grew a beard and use an electric trimmer to keep it neat. A blade lasts a long long time when you only use it for edging.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 12:24:47 AM »
@Daley, your posts on this topic are great stuff and sincerely appreciated. Thank you!

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 05:13:02 AM »
I bought into the safety razor hype and got the whole setup. After trying it out I'd have to say that different things work for different faces.

I have to be clean shaven for work, or I'd have a beard.

Issues - I realized that the safety razor couldn't reach the hairs just under the edges of my nostrils. My Mach 3 got them fine, so this was a bit of a surprise. Shaving took much longer, it was a lot harder to rinse the cream/hair off the razor in order to make the next swipe. I thought the opposite was supposed to be true. the blade felt like it was getting duller with every swipe (and that's using a new blade each shave). Supposedly it's easier to cut yourself on a safety razor, but this wasn't an issue for me at all. I switched back to Mach 3's but started stropping them (learned that here) on a towel after every use to extend blade life. Badger brush... pain in the ass and took much longer than Edge shave gel, but I guess you I recognize it's way more environmentally friendly, as long as we don't run short of donating badgers.

I'll have to try the Dorco cartridges now though.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 11:02:59 AM »
And a tip for the women if you don't know this already: Your Gillette Venus handles? The handle mounts are identical to the Mach3, and the men's cartridge replacements are usually cheaper than the women's. Gotta love the pink tax.
*jaw drops*

I had no idea!

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »
Daley, you are a ladies hero right now

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 03:55:13 AM »
I don't understand this stuff at all. $60 for a brush? And outrageous prices for blades? Are they electric shaver blades?

For ****'s sake, just get an old fashioned T shaped razor blade holder and a pack of 2 sided safety razor blades.   Cheap as hell (or should be). Or buy a pack of plastic disposable razors. What are they, 50 cents ****ing each, or even less? I use them too, and they shave nice and sharp for at least 10 shaves. Problem solved.   

When I hear the Dollar Shave Club commercials I want to scream. It's like they're saying "Are you tired of paying $100 for one apple?" (Umm, no, dude, no one pays $100 for one apple. What planet are you on?)   

"Buy your apples from us at Dollar Shave Club! We only charge $80 for one apple!"  (Ummm, dude, I'll continue to get my apples for 50 cents each at my local store.) 

I really just don't get it. 

Agreed. I buy the cheapest razor blades and get a clean shave after months of use (granted I only need to shave once per week).

This isn't even frugality - I just can't really imagine how the experience would need to be any better than what I currently have.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:59:56 AM by Forever Wednesday »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 08:17:57 AM »

Daley, hero of a people who still buy into 100+ years of social and consumer engineering to waste money scraping their flesh for no discernible reason other than to make us feel less than human if we don't so we can feed the hungry maw of the Razor Industrial Complex. Those scrap used battleships purchased for steel don't come cheap, after all!

*dispassionately tosses confetti*

There's a better way, folks.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 09:33:50 AM »

Daley, hero of a people who still buy into 100+ years of social and consumer engineering to waste money scraping their flesh for no discernible reason other than to make us feel less than human if we don't so we can feed the hungry maw of the Razor Industrial Complex. Those scrap used battleships purchased for steel don't come cheap, after all!

*dispassionately tosses confetti*

There's a better way, folks.

Yes, this! Relatedly, I went for about 2 years without shaving back in college, and found it ironic that it was usually the hairiest guys that made negative comments about it.

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »
I just use disposable blades, I shave but once a week, and one of these disposable blades last me about or month or so.
Bought 3 packs of 10 blades each for €5,-

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »

I think it depends on how frequently you shave. I shave every 4-7 days and I get months out of one Fusion cartridge. It does such a good job I haven't wanted to hassle with switching. Lather up in the shower and two minutes later my face is baby butt smooth. No mirror required.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 08:46:10 AM »
Yeah, two-three blades is technically the sweet spot with multi-blade setups, and much safer if you're prone to accidents. The greater the physical distance between the eyes and the skin with more arm extension, the better the safety margin with more blades. I can appreciate that. Same with some of the Venus handle designs. However, four seems to be the beginning of overkill and the introduction of shorter longevity.

Another couple tips for blade longevity: Remember how I mentioned that moisture and gunk is the enemy with razor sharpness? Don't store the razor in the shower or next to the sink. After you clean the blades well, dip it in iso-91 rubbing alcohol and shake to dry it out, then lightly smear with baby oil and keep the blades covered while not in use. Outside of physically dulling due to use, oxidation is the quickest blade killer. It's all about sequence and care. If you sufficiently soften and moisten the hair before shaving (shave after showering for five minutes or so) and do this, you should be able to get the blades to last a fair bit longer. If that's not enough to help you stretch your shaving money and you already have access to liquid nitrogen? You could always do a 24 hour cryotemper on the blades as well.

Beyond that, the best way to save on shaving is to stop fighting the hair that G-d gave you.

It's funny. There's so much old-school "man advice" typically tied to depression-era military basics and rationing that's been lost over the years due to our disposable society, and even unfortunately kept from the fairer sex... like proper razor blade care and how to properly clean and care for leather. Real shame, that. My wife was amazed at how much longer her leather shoes last once I taught her how to use saddle soap and mink oil.
Good point on softening the beard. I wet (and lather) my face as soon as I step in the shower, but I do my shaving at the end. Oh, and I rinse the blades in cold water, which seems to make a difference.

I think it depends on how frequently you shave. I shave every 4-7 days and I get months out of one Fusion cartridge. It does such a good job I haven't wanted to hassle with switching. Lather up in the shower and two minutes later my face is baby butt smooth. No mirror required.
I shave every day, but I don't have to do the tricky areas around the mouth (goatee/mustache). Basically just under the chin and then a couple of swipes on the cheeks. I also shave my head twice a week, but I feel like the tighter skin there makes it easier and may produce less wear on the blades.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »
Another recent safety razor convert here.

https://sharpologist.com/ was a good resource for me (same guy is Mantic59 on YouTube, tons of instructional videos). They have some great info for low cost, high value supplies. Bonus: the site also feels delightfully early-Internet/90s era.

I ended up with a Merkur 34C, Astra SP blades, middle-of-the-road badger brush, repurposed coffee bowl (free!), Noxzema classic face wash, Pacific shave cream and Nivea aftershave for like $45 total. Also, look around for vintage handles, which can apparently be had for under $10 while being extremely good.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »

I was always pleased with my old Sensor Excel 2-bladed cartridges until I couldn't find them any more.  Are the blades on this similar to the old Sensors?  Right now I'm working through an 8-pack of Gilette Sensor3 disposables for a total cost of $9.62 from the Gillette subscription service.  They're definitely better than any of the Dollar Shave Club or Harry's razors, both of which I've tried.  I do like that you can just set it to reorder upon request, you don't actually have to get shipments every month or three months or whatever.  I ordered mine last October and am still going through them.  No complaints.  But I may try out the Dorca blades if they are comparable to the old 2 bladed Sensor Excels. 

Ref link if anyone cares to join the Gillette site.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
They're definitely better than any of the Dollar Shave Club or Harry's razors, both of which I've tried.

If you didn't like the DSC blades? You may not like the Dorco CT-II either, given that DSC uses Dorco as their supplier. All you can do is try 'em and see for yourself. I'm the wrong guy these days to ask that question. *scratches beard*

I'm mostly just pointing out cartridge compatibility between brands and models and techniques to extend blade life.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:56:17 AM by Daley »

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 11:48:36 AM »
They're definitely better than any of the Dollar Shave Club or Harry's razors, both of which I've tried.

If you didn't like the DSC blades? You may not like the Dorco CT-II either, given that DSC uses Dorco as their supplier. All you can do is try 'em and see for yourself. I'm the wrong guy these days to ask that question. *scratches beard*

Gotcha, thanks.  I may just say "good enough" with my Sensor3 blades.  They aren't expensive and seem to be lasting me quite a while. 

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »
Good job ditching DSC!

The whole subscription model of service has really taken off in the past five or so years. It produces more consistent revenues, probably makes companies more money, and probably costs consumers more than they realize. Adobe, Microsoft, Audible, etc. DSC may be a small player, but they are living off those subscriptions. I mean, a service is a service, but everyone wants your $$$.

I too jumped on board the safety razor craze. I didn't think it was a craze, but then how do I explain how I first found out about it? You have to be careful because big retail stores (aka wally world) caught on and try to hock razors for much more than you can find online. I stopped shaving my full face years ago and just trim my neck and the sides of my face, so my razors could probably last another decade at the rate I'm going. I also bought a cheap straight razor I haven't used in awhile that has disposable razors. I think a 100 pack was like $6 or so. It takes a bit more skill, hence why I haven't used it in awhile.

So yeah, I'm a big fan of the safety razor, you just have to watch out for people trying to milk that industry. It's easy to spend a ton of money going super fancy, but you definitely don't have to. Also, if you want to feel some angst, do some research on how smart the actual Gillette guy was for realizing that straight razors were too good and wouldn't make him enough money. He basically invented the disposable razor to keep the profits rolling. This was the early years of planned obsolescence. The modern counterpart is the subscription model.

(another slick marketing tactic: when each guy in my high school turned 18, Gillette sent him a free razor handle and two blades. This makes great business sense because then a guy has to go out out and drop $20 for another pack of blades. Genius, but kind of evil, IMO).

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 11:39:24 PM »
Cheapest single-blade razors, 20 for $2, do the best job for me. Multi-blades get gummed up with hairs between the blades, but single-blades I just put under a brief blast of water from the tap and they are clean. One single-blade disposable lasts for over a month of everyday shaving.
No shaving cream, foam or aftershave. Cold water does all those jobs.

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2018, 05:51:12 PM »
Cheapest single-blade razors, 20 for $2, do the best job for me. Multi-blades get gummed up with hairs between the blades, but single-blades I just put under a brief blast of water from the tap and they are clean. One single-blade disposable lasts for over a month of everyday shaving.
No shaving cream, foam or aftershave. Cold water does all those jobs.

I definitely learned to love one blade but the one blade disposables like bic always butchered my skin

DoNorth

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
I use the safety razor and Astra blades...a few cents for each one. I change them after every other shave/3 at most.   Badger brush plus some Art of Shaving cream lasts me 8-10 months.  Once you're comfortable shaving with safety razor blades, it really is a better shave.  I have coarse facial hair and the 5 blade razors were giving me horrible pfb.  literally, cutting facial hair 5 times in a row, was cutting the hair so short, it was curling underneath the skin and causing painful razor bumps.  the safety razor blades leave it a little bit longer and I get a 5 oclock shadow by about noon, but saves me so much irritation and money

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »
My horrible patchy facial hair (hence the username) is a blessing in this regard. My old man can grow a beard in a day, yet it takes me a week to get some ugly patches.

I buy a 3 pack of gillette fancy cartriges every year and it lasts me with twice weekly shaves. All i do is try to thoroughly rinse and dry the blades after each shave and leave it out in the open.

Works for me, and is great on the wallet at less than $10 a year. Plus a bottle of Barbasol a year at $1 (I use very little).

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2018, 08:59:36 AM »
is great on the wallet at less than $10 a year. Plus a bottle of Barbasol a year at $1 (I use very little).

As unmustachian luxury purchases go, this is probably a minor one.  I just feel compelled to point out that a $35 electric razor will last you 20 years with essentially zero maintenance other than the occasional rinsing. 

Metal razor blades seem kind of like gasoline cars and natural gas stoves.  Electric is just better, and yet people resist the superior technology based on advertising and nostalgia.

For the record, I have a beard.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »
is great on the wallet at less than $10 a year. Plus a bottle of Barbasol a year at $1 (I use very little).

As unmustachian luxury purchases go, this is probably a minor one.  I just feel compelled to point out that a $35 electric razor will last you 20 years with essentially zero maintenance other than the occasional rinsing. 

Metal razor blades seem kind of like gasoline cars and natural gas stoves.  Electric is just better, and yet people resist the superior technology based on advertising and nostalgia.

My wife tried giving me one of those for Christmas one year, and I could not get a smooth shave with it. It was an expensive version too. Read a bunch of stuff, watched Youtube videos...just couldn't make it happen.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »

Every electric razor i've ever tried felt like it was literally ripping my neck to shreds.  So freaking painful, AND it gives a crappy shave to boot.  Which is nice. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »
I could not get a smooth shave with it.

Your standards are too high.  Why do you need a "smooth" shave every single day?  Its' just going to have stubble again in a few hours.  Electric razors are 90% as good at 10% of the cost, easier and faster to use, and they don't leave a mess in your sink.  Besides, haven't you heard that stubble is "in" now?

If you feel you need a smooth baby face for a particular event, like a date, then you can blade shave right before that.  You don't need to baby shave every morning, just like you don't need to wax your car every morning.  You're spending too much to get too little benefit.

Of course, advertisers have spent billions of dollars convincing you that you DO need to baby shave every single day, so I don't really expect a random internet stranger to change your mind on this point.  I accept that we are all subject to the evils of advertising, and it effectively convinces us to waste money on irrational things that we think are important for unidentified reasons.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
I could not get a smooth shave with it.

Your standards are too high.  Why do you need a "smooth" shave every single day?  Its' just going to have stubble again in a few hours.  Electric razors are 90% as good at 10% of the cost, easier and faster to use, and they don't leave a mess in your sink.  Besides, haven't you heard that stubble is "in" now?

If you feel you need a smooth baby face for a particular event, like a date, then you can blade shave right before that.  You don't need to baby shave every morning, just like you don't need to wax your car every morning.  You're spending too much to get too little benefit.

Of course, advertisers have spent billions of dollars convincing you that you DO need to baby shave every single day, so I don't really expect a random internet stranger to change your mind on this point.  I accept that we are all subject to the evils of advertising, and it effectively convinces us to waste money on irrational things that we think are important for unidentified reasons.

I mentioned in my first post in this thread that I shave twice a week, so I don't feel I'm succumbing to BIG RAZOR that I need to shave every day as you've just stated. I already say "good enough" each morning that I don't shave. I just try to ignore my uneven patches on those days. When I put around 4 months on a cartridge, I'd say that's good enough.

And honestly if my facial hair was fuller and more symmetrical, I'd totally grow out a beard. But I lost that part of the genetic lottery. At least I'm over 6 foot tall................ladies (jk, married, happy).

Spoonsor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2018, 02:43:29 PM »
I also only get patchy facial hair and shave only twice a week. Sometimes less (to my wife's dismay). The only money I've ever spent on shaving is the electricity, since my Dad bought me an electric razor when I was old enough to shave, around 16. I'll be 30 in July, and the razor is still going strong! I've never noticed it to be especially uncomfortable, though I imagine it depends on the razor and the person.

As a side note, I just looked up DSC because I've heard of it but never looked into it. They have a video playing on the front page. One of the clips is a very muscular guy playing video games. He also appears to be pooping. I'm... confused. What relevance does the pooping muscly gamer have to shaving?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!