Author Topic: DIY Food items...  (Read 140843 times)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
Re: DIY Food items...
« Reply #350 on: June 20, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »
Did the vegetable stock on a rare cool day last week, and I think it came out pretty well. I used scraps I'd been saving in the freezer, as well as some herbs and scallions from the garden, celery, carrots, and onions. Maybe next time I'll use fewer tomato skins, though - had been saving those in the freezer because apparently you can make sauce from them? Haven't tried that yet, though.

Speaking of booze, I've been DIYing a cocktail that I like at a local bar. Raspberry vodka, lemonade, and cranberry. They charge like $8 for this; DIY is much cheaper, and a bit healthier as I'm using agave in my homemade lemonade (and not much of it; I like my lemonade tart). Yum.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #351 on: June 20, 2016, 09:47:28 AM »
Try lemon juice and simple syrup. That should escalate the lemon tartness profile a bit.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: June 20, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »
I'm trying to make seedy dijon mustard from scratch. Wish me luck!

Miss Unleaded

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »
This is a fantastic thread. I got lucky and married a man who's always up for some DIY so that helps.

We live in a great part of the world for foraging and growing literally a few meters from our doorstep are wild strawberries. A bit further out is the forest full of bilberries, lingon and mushrooms (chanterelle, porcini, hedgehogs, etc) in Autumn. We cook as many mushrooms as we can eat and dry the rest. The berries get made into jam or jelly, usually mixed with other berries from the garden. In spring we make nettle soup and dandelion fritters.

I used to keep a sourdough starter but neglected it and it got mouldy. I've tried my hand at various different types of bread over the years, from easy (naan, pizza, Hönö flatbread) to more difficult (bagels, English muffins). We even made hard bread once. The bagels were fantastic but a bit too complicated to be a regular thing. The English muffins were average and not worth the effort. I'd love to try crumpets at some point.

DH keeps bees so we often make mead from the dregs that aren't good enough to sell. This has had mixed results. Sometimes wonderful and other times overly sweet and headache inducing. He also makes cider when we have a glut of apples.

My MIL gave us a crock a few months ago which we used to make some excellent sauerkraut. I'm keen trying the other fermentation recipes that have been suggested in this thread.

In the past we've made yoghurt, mozzarella and paneer, but I've stopped eating dairy, and when I tried to make soy yoghurt it was a disaster. If anyone has any tips on making plant based yoghurts I'd be incredibly grateful.

Has anyone tried paneer?
What recipe did you use?

We used this one: http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/how-to-make-paneer-homemade-paneer/
but trippled the amounts to make it worthwhile.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »
I had never eaten red currants, but I've been reading recipes for them and they became available from my CSA so I grabbed a couple pounds worth.  Nothing could be simpler!  I boiled them up today to make red currant jelly and am now going to mix the leftover pulp with a wee touch of Grand Marnier to make a rustic tart.  They are so "cute"... I can see how they'd look lovely in cakes and sweet breads.

Next on the agenda (within the next couple of weeks) is going to be this cranberry jalapeno pepper jelly.  I am going to give it as Christmas gifts.
http://monasterykitchen.org/cape-cod-cranberry-jalapeno-pepper-jelly/

It's very hot and humid today, but I may make my way outside this afternoon to snag the last of the local strawberries... even if I freeze them and save the project for a couple of weeks.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »
Made gnocchi from scratch for the first time yesterday.  They were a little gummy, but overall, a pretty good first attempt.  Not something I'll be doing on a regular basis, but maybe once or twice a year.  Not too difficult, cheap, and sounds impressive.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
I love this sort-of homemade ranch dressing:

1/2 cup milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice, let sit for 5 min.

Then mix with
1 cup sour cream
Dill, parsley, garlic, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste.

I still buy the milk and sour cream, but at least it's better than buying a bottle of ranch at the store.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #357 on: July 02, 2016, 05:24:53 AM »
I tried making tortillas and it was a total disaster. All totally fine apart from the crucial step of transferring from surface to pan, when they totally fell apart. I tried everything I could find online, from pressing in clingfilm to lifting with my rolling pin, but nothing helped. In the end I gave up and cooked them as shards to use for dipping. I'm pretty disappointed, though. Is there some great secret?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #358 on: July 02, 2016, 09:32:01 AM »
I tried making tortillas and it was a total disaster. All totally fine apart from the crucial step of transferring from surface to pan, when they totally fell apart. I tried everything I could find online, from pressing in clingfilm to lifting with my rolling pin, but nothing helped. In the end I gave up and cooked them as shards to use for dipping. I'm pretty disappointed, though. Is there some great secret?

Do you have proper masa, rather than cornmeal?  Cornmeal, which has been ground before the kernels are soaked in lime, will not form a dough.

The directions I found online said to press them in wax paper, but I've found that parchment paper does a better job of releasing them.

Maybe play with the moisture level in your dough.  I've found that I need to make it a bit wetter, then let it sit for a few minutes so the masa can absorb the moisture, then readjust the moisture level if needed so that it is quite pliable, but not yet sticky.  You could try adding some fat to the dough as well.

I'm far from expert, having just started, but those are the things that helped get me on the road to corn tortilla success.

dpfromva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #359 on: July 07, 2016, 12:27:12 PM »
I have a some general hacked recipes I used over and over -- miscellaneous fruit bread, miscellaneous dog biscuits, miscellaneous carb pudding (using leftover noodles, rice, donuts, what have you), miscellaneous meat-with-beer stew. And soup of course -- the utility player for repurposing leftover stuff and sad veggies! My immersion blender is my friend.
It turns out mostly good, sometimes fabulous (of course you can never quite replicate it, bummer), and on rare occasions not-so-hot and ends up in the dog bowls. Whenever I make big batches, I freeze squares, blobs or spoonfuls on a cookie sheet then wrap in the freezer for future work lunches.

FarmFund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #360 on: July 20, 2016, 01:02:49 PM »
I've had pretty good savings from doing some cheese making. I'm not brave enough to do hard aged cheeses, and I don't have the space to do it, but mozzarella is great. For a 4 litre bag of whole milk, the rennet tabs and Citric acid, it cost under $10 for about a pound of high quality, fancy mozzarella or made smaller into boccincini. The next day you cook the remaining whey into another 1 to 2 cups of ricotta!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #361 on: July 20, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »
I took a fermentation class with the Extension Office yesterday.  We made sauerkraut, and one lady shared some baby scobys to make kombucha.  So, I have sauerkraut fermenting on one counter, and kombucha brewing on another.  We'll see how they turn out...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #362 on: July 20, 2016, 01:55:41 PM »
I made egg rolls using this recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-egg-rolls-134053

And tweaking it. I put the cabbage, scallions, ginger, garlic and sauce (omitting the salt) in a frying pan, added 1/2 lb of chopped raw shrimp (instead of pork) and cooked it until shrimp turned pink. Then I followed the remaining directions. They are insanely good. DH begged me to make another batch, so I did. They are frozen, and now he won't starve when I'm gone next week.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #363 on: July 21, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »
I've had pretty good savings from doing some cheese making. I'm not brave enough to do hard aged cheeses, and I don't have the space to do it, but mozzarella is great. For a 4 litre bag of whole milk, the rennet tabs and Citric acid, it cost under $10 for about a pound of high quality, fancy mozzarella or made smaller into boccincini. The next day you cook the remaining whey into another 1 to 2 cups of ricotta!

Any DIY videos you can recommend?

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #364 on: July 21, 2016, 12:03:36 PM »
Last winter I made (and froze) meyer lemon curd.  I need to eat it up soon but have been struggling.  I've decided to make a "Lemon Curd Trifle" with fresh berries and angel food cake this weekend when guests visit.  It will be beautiful and refreshing.

I am serving it alongside a pan of lasagna I made and froze a couple of months ago.  All will be eaten after a 15 mile bike ride.

I hope that taking stuff out of the freezer to feed guests doesn't sound unclassy; I just don't have much time to cook on demand so it's a nice compromise.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #365 on: July 21, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »

I hope that taking stuff out of the freezer to feed guests doesn't sound unclassy; I just don't have much time to cook on demand so it's a nice compromise.

Just don't tell them! I think around here that would be considered a win and using your time to socialize, build relationships and go for a bike ride makes MUCH more sense! Have a great time!

I've got a couple big jars of Kimchi going, which should be ready ....er soon...I've lost track of the days :) I'd like to think it will last a while, but hubby is a Kimchi fiend and with it taking 14 or so days to make, I'll have to start pondering my next batch. When we run out, he gets these horrible puppy dog eyes, sighs and says" You know what would be really good with this? Kimchi...."

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #366 on: July 22, 2016, 02:14:35 PM »
I took a fermentation class with the Extension Office yesterday.  We made sauerkraut, and one lady shared some baby scobys to make kombucha.  So, I have sauerkraut fermenting on one counter, and kombucha brewing on another.  We'll see how they turn out...

Be careful to separate your fermentations.  My wife made Kombucha, sauerkraut and water kefir. Everything went fine for quite a while until she stored the active fermentations next to each other.  We think the Kombucha corrupted the kefir.  Cleaned up both and restarted the Kombucha.  Having to work to find a new starter for the kefir...

zoltani

« Reply #367 on: July 22, 2016, 04:08:25 PM »
Has anyone made their own paneer cheese for indian food?

FarmFund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #368 on: July 22, 2016, 07:13:12 PM »
Another huge saver for me: homemade dairy free milks. When I wasn't drinking dairy, I would make my own rice or oat milks. Just boiled the grain with eight times the recommended water amount, blended it up, and filtered it. These types of specialty milks cost a fortune in a grocery store and and are typically loaded with added sugars and thickeners anyways. I buy a 25lb bag of organic oatmeal from a grain mill, and grind it myself to use, saving even more money. I would get brown rice on sale for under $1/lb to use. About a cup of grains would make me enough milk to last over a week!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #369 on: July 22, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
Last winter I made (and froze) meyer lemon curd.  I need to eat it up soon but have been struggling.  I've decided to make a "Lemon Curd Trifle" with fresh berries and angel food cake this weekend when guests visit.  It will be beautiful and refreshing.

I am serving it alongside a pan of lasagna I made and froze a couple of months ago.  All will be eaten after a 15 mile bike ride.

Lemon curd is great just spread on graham crackers.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #370 on: July 23, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »

Be careful to separate your fermentations.  My wife made Kombucha, sauerkraut and water kefir. Everything went fine for quite a while until she stored the active fermentations next to each other.  We think the Kombucha corrupted the kefir.  Cleaned up both and restarted the Kombucha.  Having to work to find a new starter for the kefir...

Fortunately the recipe warned about keeping stuff to close.  I have them well separated!  I've considered keeping one in the kitchen, one in the basement, but wanted to see how stinky it got first (basement isn't as well ventilated).

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: August 03, 2016, 11:58:51 AM »
A small jar of pickled ginger costs $7 here!  Surely it can't be that difficult to make.
Does anyone know how?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #372 on: August 03, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »
I just shred/mince it and put it in rice wine vinegar in the fridge.  Might be more complicated if you want the thin pinkish slices for sushi, but what I do works for keeping it on hand for cooking when I don't have time to grate fresh ginger.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
This pickled ginger recipe has good reviews on Allrecipes.  I have not tried it, though.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
Last week I set up a continuous brew kombucha system, and pulled the first bottles from it tonight.  It works great!  Will add some more sweet tea to it tomorrow.  It's just a 2-gallon water dispenser that sits on top of the fridge with a coffee filter where the lid should be, and a big old SCOBY forming in there.  The kombucha comes out much more carbonated than when I fermented it in a big jar.  I dispensed it into three bottles for a secondary ferment, so in about 48 hours I'll be enjoying some peach ginger, blueberry, and quince lime kombucha.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #375 on: August 06, 2016, 07:54:19 AM »
Last week I set up a continuous brew kombucha system, and pulled the first bottles from it tonight.  It works great!  Will add some more sweet tea to it tomorrow.  It's just a 2-gallon water dispenser that sits on top of the fridge with a coffee filter where the lid should be, and a big old SCOBY forming in there.  The kombucha comes out much more carbonated than when I fermented it in a big jar.  I dispensed it into three bottles for a secondary ferment, so in about 48 hours I'll be enjoying some peach ginger, blueberry, and quince lime kombucha.

Since starting two weeks ago, we've made blackberry, cherry, blueberry, peach, and plain.  I may have to try continuous brew, but I didn't want to go out and buy a dispenser (my mom had a gallon sized glass jar so she gave that to me).

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: August 08, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »
Made a big batch of Erica's (NWEdible.com) choose-your-own-adventure granola, in part to use up some honey roasted almonds, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds that were languishing in the pantry.

It'll be good to have some "ready-made" cereal on hand to feed the hungry crowds when the baby comes in a week or two and I'm somewhat out of commission.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: August 08, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »
Made a tomato pie this weekend. Homemade Pie crust, fresh tomatoes from the garden, garlic, onions, fresh basil, topped with a mix of 2:1 mozzarella and cheddar cheese. The secret ingredient is a tablespoon of mayonnaise, which sounds awful but pulls the flavors together and helps bind it, so it's not a wet mess. Lovely fresh garden taste profile.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #378 on: August 09, 2016, 06:33:25 AM »
Made simple syrup so that I can be incredibly lazy and not need to stir in sugar when I want lemonade.

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #379 on: August 10, 2016, 07:55:25 AM »
I save my vegetable scraps for veggie burgers, no more waste.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2016, 08:09:45 AM »

Do you have proper masa, rather than cornmeal?  Cornmeal, which has been ground before the kernels are soaked in lime, will not form a dough.

The directions I found online said to press them in wax paper, but I've found that parchment paper does a better job of releasing them.

Maybe play with the moisture level in your dough.  I've found that I need to make it a bit wetter, then let it sit for a few minutes so the masa can absorb the moisture, then readjust the moisture level if needed so that it is quite pliable, but not yet sticky.  You could try adding some fat to the dough as well.

I'm far from expert, having just started, but those are the things that helped get me on the road to corn tortilla success.

Did you let the dough rest?

FernFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On my way!
« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »

Flour or corn?  I used to live in Mexico and was taught to make corn tortillas from an expert.  :)  They normally use a thicker plastic to press the tortillas out -- I use two zip lock sandwich bags usually, but you could also take a quart zip lock and cut it into two sheets.  The zipper causes a little line sometimes, but it's about the right size and the thick plastic releases easily from the dough.

So you press the dough out between two layers of plastic -- not too thin if you're a beginner so it doesn't tear.  Then peel off the top plastic by starting on one side and pulling back and away slowly.  Flip it onto your bare hand and then peel back the 2nd layer of plastic.  So now your hand is palm facing up with the tortilla dough on top.  Place  the edge of the tortilla from your pinkie finger side on the pan and carefully turn your hand while pulling it away from the dough.  You're sort of gently laying the tortilla onto the pan and avoiding getting any air bubbles on the bottom of it -- hard to describe it in words instead of showing you, but I hope this helps. :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #382 on: August 10, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »
Has anyone made their own paneer cheese for indian food?
I didn't see any answers to this, so:

Yes! Easy and perhaps worth it, depending on your local milk costs. I just bring some milk to a near-boil, toss in a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice per litre of milk, give it a stir or two, and let it partly cool in the pot. Line a sieve or colander with cheesecloth (or even paper towels, maybe), and let it drain a while. Wrap the solids in the cheesecloth, put it on a plate, put another plate on top, put a weight (like a can of beans) on top of that plate. It'll firm up into something like store paneer. Thick slices of it fry up really nice.

(I guess you could curdle it with vinegar instead of lemon juice to save money, and I've seen suggestions that you curdle it with the sour liquid that drains off when you thicken yogurt, but I've never tried that.)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #383 on: August 11, 2016, 07:29:58 AM »
Has anyone successfully dried tart cherries in an oven? I don't have a dehydrator and would rather not buy another appliance. I've got about 5 lbs. of cherries in the freezer and would like to dry some - yummy on salads with some nuts and blue cheese. But a bag of dried cherries at the grocery store is like 5 bucks! ouch!

I found some recipes online but a) they call for setting the oven at 165 and our apartment's ancient oven's lowest temp is 200, and b) it says you have to leave them in for 8 hours, stirring every couple hours. I'm trying to figure out when, if ever, I will be home (and awake) for 8 hours straight to babysit them. Would be grateful for any tips or tricks.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #384 on: August 11, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »
I believe freezing them ruptures the cell walls, so drying previously frozen cherries doesn't have the same outcome as drying fresh cherries. Best off using them frozen, pies and maybe half of a jam with something sweet would be the go-to for these.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #385 on: August 11, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »
I believe freezing them ruptures the cell walls, so drying previously frozen cherries doesn't have the same outcome as drying fresh cherries. Best off using them frozen, pies and maybe half of a jam with something sweet would be the go-to for these.
+1. I have been using my sour cherry supply by heating them gently with honey to make a sour cherrry compot and blending that with coconut milk to a smoothie consistency (I don't do dairy) and popping them into popsicle molds for Sour cherry creamsicles. So, so good!

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #386 on: August 11, 2016, 11:40:14 AM »
Following!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #387 on: August 11, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »
I am so glad I asked before trying to dehydrate them! I've already canned some cherry pie filling, and have been eyeing some jam recipes. So I have lots of other ideas for using them. The coconut milk recipe sounds fantastic!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #388 on: August 11, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
Speaking of cherries...  Recipes are rare, but you can make sweet cherry pies and they are delicious.  I don't care for sour cherry pies, so I was glad to find I liked their counterpart.

If you want the recipes I used, just ask.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #389 on: August 11, 2016, 07:17:46 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this.  I just checked out my local one and they have a class coming up.  I have a crock but my sauerkraut's never quite right so I'm excited to take it!

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #390 on: August 11, 2016, 09:31:52 PM »
The grocery store had cheap strawberries last time I went since they're in season right now and I caved. I was trying to think of a way to use the ones I bought before they went bad. I ended up making a 100% homemade fresh strawberry pie. No Jell-O filler (a lot of strawberry pie recipes online use this) and even the crust I made by hand. I was proud of myself. First time I've ever tried to make a pie 100% homemade!

http://www.shortstopblog.com/2011/05/gotta-make-it-best-fresh-strawberry-pie.html

I used that recipe, though I didn't put lemon juice in it because I didn't have any lemon juice or lemons. I also didn't use her pie crust recipe since I have another one I use. It's very similar to hers though - I just don't use a food processor since I don't have one. I mix it up by hand.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #391 on: August 16, 2016, 07:57:07 AM »
As part of my being more responsible with food adventure, I decided to wean myself off of buying cheap, cheap Costco milk (*sniff) and buying my milk from a regional dairy that has high animal husbandry and environmental stewardship standards. They also use Jerseys instead of Holsteins. Yeah, this is double the cost plus I have to pay $2 bottle deposits to get started, which is fun because they all come in half gallon glass containers and we buy 3-4 gallons a fortnight. I also picked up some cream from this dairy.

Last night, I learned that if I put 16oz of cream in a 32oz jar, I can get an awesome and conveniently made jar of whipped cream. However, I also learned that I'm not going to get butter out of it because it took up all the space in the jar so that shaking was not effective. So I threw it in my food processor with the whipping attachment and about 45 seconds later had butter. Yay!

I'm really getting a hang of this dairy production thing. I now make my own yogurt/Greek yogurt/skyr, butter, cultured buttermilk, ricotta, paneer, whipped cream. I still have not been brave enough to try mozzarella again since my last major fail. I've decided that I will probably just buy buffalo mozzarella instead at Costco for now.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #392 on: August 16, 2016, 12:21:21 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this.  I just checked out my local one and they have a class coming up.  I have a crock but my sauerkraut's never quite right so I'm excited to take it!

Have you had your class yet?  I'm in a different area, so you'll have a different instructor, but hope yours is as good as mine is (I've taken several classes over the years with mine).

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #393 on: August 16, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »
My wife has made gallons of sauerkraut. It is all about the cleanliness. The rest of it just happens on its own. Trust nature, she knows what she's about!

Bumperpuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #394 on: August 18, 2016, 11:16:10 AM »
I make my own energy bars for when I have lots of field work.  I base mine off of this http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/dried-fig-and-nut-bars-11426 recipe, but I substitute less expensive dried fruits and nuts.

I love making bread, tortillas, and various fermented beverages.

If you're looking for a way to reduce waste and save money:
I also make my own broth/stock from kitchen scraps: http://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-vegetable-broth-with-kitchen-scraps/
and when I have milk that has just started to turn, I'll use it to make paneer.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #395 on: August 18, 2016, 03:59:30 PM »
I make my own energy bars for when I have lots of field work.  I base mine off of this http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/dried-fig-and-nut-bars-11426 recipe, but I substitute less expensive dried fruits and nuts.

I love making bread, tortillas, and various fermented beverages.

If you're looking for a way to reduce waste and save money:
I also make my own broth/stock from kitchen scraps: http://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-vegetable-broth-with-kitchen-scraps/
and when I have milk that has just started to turn, I'll use it to make paneer.

We just had a thread recently were someone was asking if anyone had ever made paneer. I think you might be our expert automatically, because I don't think anyone who responded to that thread has. Will you share your recipe?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #396 on: August 19, 2016, 02:44:34 PM »
How did I miss this thread?  I have gotten seriously carried away with some DIY food lately.  I may be overdoing it. 

The worst one for us is pizza.  I have a small agricultural operation growing tomatoes, garlic, and oregano.  We make the crust from expensive flour and olive oil.  Oddly enough the cheese that seems better than even the expensive stuff is just the Polly-O brand.  I'm still worried I'm going to come home with a cow some day, though.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #397 on: September 03, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
I've had bone broth in the pressure cooker (Instant Pot) for 24 hours now.  I started with a three-cycle pressure cook and keep warm setup, but it didn't have enough flavor (and wasn't getting enough out of the bones), so I put it on slow cooker, added some more stuff, and checked it again this morning.  The marrow is starting to come out of the bones, but I think I'm going to go ahead and keep it going for another 24 hours.

The outside of the pressure cooker doesn't get as hot as the outside of my crock pot, so that's nice.

The broth contains
beef bones (from a cow my brother and niece raised)
ginger (bought on sale, stored in the freezer)
dried mushrooms (that I had dried on the dehydrator before they went bad, since I wasn't going to get them all used)
dried tomatoes (from my parent's garden, dried on the dehydrator--just a few for some added flavor)
apple cider vinegar
bay leaves
basil
garlic
onion
celery
a carrot

I'm hoping to get two quarts out of it and will give one quart to my parents.  I'm debating smashing one of the beef bones with a hammer--it's a joint so very bulky and not breaking down much, might be lots of marrow in the joint that I can't get to otherwise.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #398 on: September 03, 2016, 02:29:18 PM »
I've had bone broth in the pressure cooker (Instant Pot) for 24 hours now.  I started with a three-cycle pressure cook and keep warm setup, but it didn't have enough flavor (and wasn't getting enough out of the bones), so I put it on slow cooker, added some more stuff, and checked it again this morning.  The marrow is starting to come out of the bones, but I think I'm going to go ahead and keep it going for another 24 hours.

The outside of the pressure cooker doesn't get as hot as the outside of my crock pot, so that's nice.

The broth contains
beef bones (from a cow my brother and niece raised)
ginger (bought on sale, stored in the freezer)
dried mushrooms (that I had dried on the dehydrator before they went bad, since I wasn't going to get them all used)
dried tomatoes (from my parent's garden, dried on the dehydrator--just a few for some added flavor)
apple cider vinegar
bay leaves
basil
garlic
onion
celery
a carrot

I'm hoping to get two quarts out of it and will give one quart to my parents.  I'm debating smashing one of the beef bones with a hammer--it's a joint so very bulky and not breaking down much, might be lots of marrow in the joint that I can't get to otherwise.

I don't know what your plans for the broth are, but you might try risotto.  It's a great way to use good broth.

albijaji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #399 on: September 03, 2016, 11:45:28 PM »

i know this is an old thread
but if you are talking about flour tortillas
these are the ones i make
vegetarian (i use any oil i have on hand really)

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/01/flour-tortillas-v-2-0-low-fat/

non - vegetarian (uses lard)

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/01/flour-tortillas/

flour tortillas cost around $2.99 ( the cheapest ones) for 8 of them
and there is so much crap in them its disgusting...