Author Topic: DIY Food items...  (Read 140776 times)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
Re: DIY Food items...
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2015, 01:31:29 PM »
I just buy it in little blisters at a health store, never had it not working. Well, except that one time I didn't check the temperature and I killed it, but hey, happens to the best of us...

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »
Ahoy there, yoghurt makers! I'd like to try it but am wondering how to buy some for a starter - how do you know if yoghurt is 'live' or not? Are there any particular brands (UK)? Or would you recommend buying a powdered starter?

P.S. If it makes a difference, I am intending to strain it as I don't like runny yoghurt.
I'm in the US - we have a brand called Fage (plain "Greek" yogurt) that I used as my starter.  It says "live active yogurt cultures" in the ingredient list.  I used about 2oz for 1/2 gal of milk, and froze the rest for future batches. Then I freeze some of my current batch for a future batch as well...

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
So is there a difference between "made with live cultures" and "contains live cultures"?

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »
So is there a difference between "made with live cultures" and "contains live cultures"?

Not 100% sure, but if something is "made with live cultures" sounds to me as if they were alive before making the product, and now could be dead.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »
Ahoy there, yoghurt makers! I'd like to try it but am wondering how to buy some for a starter - how do you know if yoghurt is 'live' or not? Are there any particular brands (UK)? Or would you recommend buying a powdered starter?

P.S. If it makes a difference, I am intending to strain it as I don't like runny yoghurt.

I just check on the side and it should say something about live cultures. I try to get natural yogurt without extra additives or sugar as my starter and no ultra pasteurized milk, just normal milk.

To thicken mine (because I am too lazy to strain it), I put some milk powder in at the point where I add my starter. Not loads though, just kind of dump a bit in.

If you read the ingredients on greek yogurt, it often says something about milk solids. I think many manufacturers are doing the same thing as I am. The yogurt will come out nice and thick.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2015, 09:13:06 PM »
You want "contains live cultures." Just find some plain yogurt (no added flavors or sugar) at the store that says something like: "contains live cultures of Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus." Actual strains can vary- that's ok. Just pick a brand you like. That's all the starter you need.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
I use the plain yogurt from Aldi for a starter. Freeze 2-3 oz in Glad 1/2 cup containers and thaw before adding to the milk. Also add in a couple tablespoons of dry milk powder. Leave it incubate overnight and it comes out plenty thick.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2015, 10:21:04 PM »
I use the plain yogurt from Aldi for a starter. Freeze 2-3 oz in Glad 1/2 cup containers and thaw before adding to the milk. Also add in a couple tablespoons of dry milk powder. Leave it incubate overnight and it comes out plenty thick.
So freezing doesn't kill the starter?  Good to know!

My last batch, I added chia seeds instead of straining to thicken it.  It's really good that way, and nice and thick without pouring off any whey.  But I forgot to same some back as a starter for the next batch, oops.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2015, 06:50:38 AM »
I actually delay the start of our fall travels until I finish canning every last freaking tomato in my garden!  I made green tomato salsa last year from the tomatoes that were too late to ripen, and it tasted just like regular salsa, except it was a gross color! 

I freeze or can everything in my garden and I also buy some produce like corn in season and blanch and freeze it.  Same with fruits like strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.  Go to the U-pick and freeze for winter use in smoothies and yogurt. 

We also are raising 25 meat chickens for the freezer.  Should get us to Spring when we can to some more.

I love all the money we save and the great food we eat.

Miss Prim

fiobot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »
I also am a big fan of english muffin bread mentioned above.  I use the recipe from Bernard Clayton's New Big Book of Breads, which I highly reccommend.  English Muffins themselves are a pain in the ass to make and we don't buy any premade items.  My only suggestion if you want to be able to use them for egg sandwiches is to use a bigger loaf pan(or casserole dish that fits the bill) and put the recipe(which makes two loaves) into the one pan.  Then the loaf is more square and is larger than the circular egg.  I suppose aesthetically this isn't as pleasing, but I have done it and it works.

Cassie Hill 2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2015, 05:12:35 PM »
Someone above posted that they get a lot of surprised looks when they bake from scratch. Once you start you just can't go back to mixes or store bought. Even kids with non discriminating palates have commmented that my cakes are the best they've ever had. And all I've done is follow the recipe from my gift copy of The Cake Bible. Not difficult at all. Now that I know how to make a variety of buttercream and whipped cream creations from that book I can't stand icing made from shortening and powdered sugar. Ugh! 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2015, 11:45:52 PM »
question for all your Fantastic foodies...any ideas on how to cut/break a little more ripe then I would like green walnuts? I Had no luck with a cleaver, very little lucky sawing them with a serrated knife (and almost took off my finger)

My excitement at discovering my hubby's grandma has a English walnut tree is slightly tempered by realizing I should have harvested them in June, I really want to try and make some nocino!

ETA: so I walked away and it hit me, yeah walnut...nut cracker would probably work...and it did :) 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:12:29 AM by swick »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2015, 01:06:12 AM »
We had our first go at yoghurt! Turns out we do have Fage in the UK - I've just always known it as 'Total' because that's the biggest writing on the packet. It went... OK. We scalded the milk on the stovetop, cooled to 43 degrees, stirred in the starter and popped it in a briefly-on oven all day. I didn't want to open the door in case I let the heat out, so I didn't check for eight hours when I found it was stone cold, but definitely very thin yoghurt! Back in the oven it went for another few hours and we did end up with a fairly sharp, stiff yoghurt (and some whey which I used to bake DELICIOUS bread). It's now in a Tupperware in the fridge, awaiting honey. We make 1l of milk worth.

We're going to have another go, probably next week, and try it in the slow cooker. We clearly had difficulty keeping it at the right temperature so hopefully that will help, but I do worry about different specs on different slow cookers.

However, I can confirm that the effort level was not significant. The hardest bit was checking the temperature as it cooled (we bought a child thermometer, not a very good idea because if it's above 45 degrees it beeps to tell you your child is going to die. Am planning to buy a scientific 'mercury' thermometer that we can just leave in and watch the mercury go down, because constantly testing with a digital one is a PITA.)

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2015, 05:59:48 AM »
We had our first go at yoghurt! Turns out we do have Fage in the UK - I've just always known it as 'Total' because that's the biggest writing on the packet. It went... OK. We scalded the milk on the stovetop, cooled to 43 degrees, stirred in the starter and popped it in a briefly-on oven all day. I didn't want to open the door in case I let the heat out, so I didn't check for eight hours when I found it was stone cold, but definitely very thin yoghurt! Back in the oven it went for another few hours and we did end up with a fairly sharp, stiff yoghurt (and some whey which I used to bake DELICIOUS bread). It's now in a Tupperware in the fridge, awaiting honey. We make 1l of milk worth.

We're going to have another go, probably next week, and try it in the slow cooker. We clearly had difficulty keeping it at the right temperature so hopefully that will help, but I do worry about different specs on different slow cookers.

However, I can confirm that the effort level was not significant. The hardest bit was checking the temperature as it cooled (we bought a child thermometer, not a very good idea because if it's above 45 degrees it beeps to tell you your child is going to die. Am planning to buy a scientific 'mercury' thermometer that we can just leave in and watch the mercury go down, because constantly testing with a digital one is a PITA.)

Wife makes ours with a small picnic cooler.  Takes it off the stove, warms a couple damp towels in the microwave, wraps the jar and puts it in the  cooler overnight.  Keeps it a nice warm temp overnight.  Thick yogurt in the morning.  Thickness is now more a matter of the milk fat content.  Very nice consistent results.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »

I wrap my pot in a towel before sticking it in the oven to help insulate, and leave the interior light on. In the winter I'd warm it up a little first just to take the chill out (not necessary here in the summer).  You could also stick it in at 46 degrees or so if it's cooling off too fast.

I haven't tried the slow cooker, I think it would be harder to keep a constant temp.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »
My crock pot I the kind with a thick removable crockery bowl.  I just use the bowl as a way to keep the heat.  So I add the starter to my milk, put on it's lid, place the bowl in the oven with the light on.  It stays warm.  I usually do it for 16 to so hours, then strain, over a couple of hours.  I want to get a nut milk bag to strain it in, right now I am just using cheesecloth.

I just started to make flavored syrup for coffee.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
I did the Cooks Illustrated mustard with the dry powder am waiting for reviews from my cousin now....If she says it is edible then I make another one for a friend.

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »
I bake my own whole wheat bread (and recently tried my hand at an Italian loaf, even confident enough in my baking abilities these days to modify the recipe!), chocolate chip cookies, and granola. Started making my own yogurt (I got a yogurt maker off my local Buy Nothing group, and almost scored a mini cooler - I'd prefer the mini cooler method and mason jars since the yogurt maker uses multiple small glass jars, so I'm still on the lookout...) and my own spreadable butter (butter/olive oil). We also can our own tuna and have traded tuna for canned salmon with our Alaska cousins, and occasionally catch our own salmon for smoking.

Next up to try is baking hamburger and hot dog buns, "Cheezits", "Graham Crackers" (I'm nervous about crackers turning out soggy so I've been dragging my feet on these) and canning apple sauce, marinara sauce and pickles. I also need to perfect my pie crust which has never turned out flaky.

Does anyone have a great marinara sauce recipe they love that works well with canning? I currently buy Hunt sauce which the kids love, but would like to stock up the pantry with home made. Also any tips on where to score cheap apples and tomatoes for canning? Time of year to do it?

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:56 PM »
I always found stuffing them to be the annoying part of making my own bao. Probably because I tried to put in too much stuffing, and it would ooze out and stop the dough at the top from sticking together.

Then I thought... what do I care if the filling is inside? So now I just steam the buns plain, and dip them into heated pork/sauce mixture (they're super-absorbent). I guess I could also slice them open and put stuff inside, like they do at Momofuku.

Leanthree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2015, 08:15:18 AM »
America's Test Kitchen put out a book in 2012 called DIY Cookbook that's just great. It's broad on all kinds of DIY kitchencraft - great recipes for everything from corn chips to bacon. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the tip, requested from the library

Also check out "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter" if you are looking for more. It is a couple years of one woman's goal of making everything from scratch and deciding what is better to buy at the store (some things but not a lot). Very entertaining book with some good recipes.

Nancy

« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
I made pickles for the first time. I'm inordinately excited. The cukes were free from my friend's farm share.

Edited to add: I cannot believe how easy and yet completely delicious they are. It's nuts!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:28:27 PM by Nancy »

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2015, 12:31:12 AM »

I do a slowcooker hack version. I turn the slow cooker on, to low. Heat the milk in a saucepan till there are bubbles round the edges and a bit of steam. No thermometer involved. Remove from heat. After the slowcooker has been on for 20 mins or so, I turn it off. Wander off.

Come back in a while when the milk has cooled down. Stir in the starter and the powdered milk if you want that. (Don't put the starter in until the milk has cooled down). Put it in the slowcooker and wrap in in a towel overnight.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2015, 07:43:37 PM »
I love DIY kitchen too, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before.

This past weekend, I made butter chicken sauce in the slow cooker.  I now have the equivalent of 4 grocery store jars in my freezer, and by my calculation the cost was about 60% vs. buying the ready made jars.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2015, 08:13:50 PM »
Does anyone have a great marinara sauce recipe they love that works well with canning? I currently buy Hunt sauce which the kids love, but would like to stock up the pantry with home made. Also any tips on where to score cheap apples and tomatoes for canning? Time of year to do it?

Axe's marinara sauce:

2-3 Tbsp olive oil
8-12 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped up
Add Some onion, some peppers, and maybe a carrot. Saute until softened, about 5-10m
Add one pound of meat - if it's ground beef, I drain the fat, clean the pan and add all the ingredients back in. Bison, chicken, venison or sausage works, too.
Add Two 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes, or 1 large mason jar of canned tomatoes, or frozen.
Add 1/2-1 tsp oregano or marjoram.
Reduce until it's as thick as you want it. I like to mix half canned, half diced or frozen together for the texture.

When done, remove from heat and add fresh or frozen basil, about two handfuls. If you add it at the end, it retains the oil, otherwise it cooks out in a couple of minutes. Do not use dried basil.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2015, 04:00:28 AM »

This past weekend, I made butter chicken sauce in the slow cooker.  I now have the equivalent of 4 grocery store jars in my freezer, and by my calculation the cost was about 60% vs. buying the ready made jars.

Would you mind sharing the recipe?!

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »

Axe's marinara sauce:

2-3 Tbsp olive oil
8-12 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped up
Add Some onion, some peppers, and maybe a carrot. Saute until softened, about 5-10m
Add one pound of meat - if it's ground beef, I drain the fat, clean the pan and add all the ingredients back in. Bison, chicken, venison or sausage works, too.
Add Two 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes, or 1 large mason jar of canned tomatoes, or frozen.
Add 1/2-1 tsp oregano or marjoram.
Reduce until it's as thick as you want it. I like to mix half canned, half diced or frozen together for the texture.

When done, remove from heat and add fresh or frozen basil, about two handfuls. If you add it at the end, it retains the oil, otherwise it cooks out in a couple of minutes. Do not use dried basil.

This looks like a wonderful recipe, thank you.  I'm assuming that anyone looking to can this recipe needs to use pressure-canning, not water-bath, due to the ingredients.  Looks like it would freeze well, too.

For tomatoes and apples, if there aren't local farms to contact, see if there are any produce distributors in your area that would sell to you by the case.  We've bought cases of serranos, tomatoes, etc., and the price was quite good for beautiful (but conventional) produce.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2015, 08:30:06 AM »

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/slow_cooker_butter_chicken.php

I used this as my launching off recipe.  I kicked up the spices to my taste.  I made a double batch and did the recipe up to the purée point, then took out what I needed for diner and lunch the next day and packaged the rest in 500ml containers.  To eat on the day, I marinate two chicken breasts in yogourt and tandoori spices, and cook on the grill, this makes for a more authentic butter chicken flavour then just stewing the chicken in the sauce. 

Next time I make it, I will pre cook the onions, garlic and spices, then blend the whole recipe in the vitamix before dumping it into the slow cooker for the day.  I don't have an immersion blender and blending the hot mixture was a pain in the ass, that I think will go much smoother if just done cold.  Cooking the onions and spices first should enhance the flavour too. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:32:23 AM by Diverging Artist »

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »
I'm assuming that anyone looking to can this recipe needs to use pressure-canning, not water-bath, due to the ingredients.
Rather than make this whole batch using fresh ingredients, I prefer to can the plum tomatoes all by themselves, adding a Tablespoon of lemon juice to the mixture, which lets you raise the acidity and prevent spoilage without using pressure canning. Then in the winter I buy fresh meat, combine the canned tomatoes, and frozen basil to make the final recipe.

This way it's super easy to do the canning at harvest time - just process the tomatoes, done! - and you get to enjoy cooking the recipe during the winter when you have plenty of time.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2015, 05:53:37 AM »

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/slow_cooker_butter_chicken.php

Thanks!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2015, 02:34:34 PM »
This week I made my own pectin! I've never done that before, I feel like some kind of magician.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
I made whole wheat bagels this weekend! I'm really happy with them, and they're definitely far cheaper than the fancy English muffins I have been using. I had one with my egg for breakfast this morning and it was great. Thanks, swick, for motivating me to try it!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »
I made whole wheat bagels this weekend! I'm really happy with them, and they're definitely far cheaper than the fancy English muffins I have been using. I had one with my egg for breakfast this morning and it was great. Thanks, swick, for motivating me to try it!

Whoot! :D nice Job! Cheddar jalapeno bagels are my fave for breakfast sandwiches. Once you have the basics you can customize them however you like!

Sandym87

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
It started off innocently enough:  Making our own salsa, guacamole, hot sauce, hummus.   They turned out to be a gateway drug to pickles, relish, mayo.  My husband looks worriedly into the kitchen when he sees me now making ketchup, beer mustard, hamburger buns, tortillas.....  I only wish I had more free time (I work full time) because this stuff tastes SO much better than the stuff you get in the store, and doesn't have the chemical/preservative load, the trans fats, etc.  Just have to make sure I keep a steady supply of jars.  :)

Would you be willing to share your hamburg bun recipe?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2015, 02:17:51 AM »
I also, from time to time, make my own spring rolls because I can't eat onions or garlic but they are SO YUMMY. Making the filling and doing the frying is a piece of cake. The wrapping took me half a dozen goes to get right, and I'd recommend watching a youtube video, but now I can do it just fine. I tend to make a big pile of filling, wrap loads and then freeze them raw. Defrost for an hour on the counter and fry away! My favourite filling is cabbage, carrot, ginger and beansprouts.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2015, 03:04:51 AM »
Re the discussion about english muffin further back: I make my own and don't find this recipe to be hard or time-consuming. I roll them out the way you would a bun and put 5 to a pan at a time.
http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/english-muffins/

I also make my own croissants and can report that even though they take a full 2-3 days to make (most of that time is spent in the fridge) they are so absolutely worth it.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »
Love kitchen science experiments! Have you tried making yogurt? You can get it ready in the evening and let it ferment overnight.

Homemade wine? That is our favorite DIY by far and also quite popular with others.

Homemade wine? This is something that I would love to try since I drink wine every night but I live in an apartment and probably don't have the space. How do you do it?

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2015, 01:56:55 PM »
I was off work this week for staycation and decided to do some once a month cooking to fill my freezer.  I made lasagne with home made Italian sausage, tastier, cheaper and easier to handle than buying the premade stuff.  I had enough ground pork left over to make a batch of breakfast sausage patties as well.

This weekend I have plans to make donair meat from scratch too.  This likely would only impress eastern Canadians though!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2015, 09:34:21 AM »
A friend of mine is an absolute pasty junkie so I am learning how to make my own.  There is a wonderful pasty place near us in Northern Virginia I have gone to in the past but I know it is right to learn to make my own.  I do need to improve on my crusts but luckily the fillings can be almost anything.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2015, 12:26:32 PM »
I bake my own whole wheat bread (and recently tried my hand at an Italian loaf, even confident enough in my baking abilities these days to modify the recipe!), chocolate chip cookies, and granola. Started making my own yogurt (I got a yogurt maker off my local Buy Nothing group, and almost scored a mini cooler - I'd prefer the mini cooler method and mason jars since the yogurt maker uses multiple small glass jars, so I'm still on the lookout...) and my own spreadable butter (butter/olive oil). We also can our own tuna and have traded tuna for canned salmon with our Alaska cousins, and occasionally catch our own salmon for smoking.

Next up to try is baking hamburger and hot dog buns, "Cheezits", "Graham Crackers" (I'm nervous about crackers turning out soggy so I've been dragging my feet on these) and canning apple sauce, marinara sauce and pickles. I also need to perfect my pie crust which has never turned out flaky.

This is the recipe I use all the time

1 ¼ cup of Tomato Sauce (I always use San Marzano or Pomi)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 white onion, diced
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp Sugar
Dried Oregano, to taste
 Dried Basil, to taste

To make the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until soft but not browned, 2 minutes.  Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
It started off innocently enough:  Making our own salsa, guacamole, hot sauce, hummus.   They turned out to be a gateway drug to pickles, relish, mayo.  My husband looks worriedly into the kitchen when he sees me now making ketchup, beer mustard, hamburger buns, tortillas.....  I only wish I had more free time (I work full time) because this stuff tastes SO much better than the stuff you get in the store, and doesn't have the chemical/preservative load, the trans fats, etc.  Just have to make sure I keep a steady supply of jars.  :)

Would you be willing to share your hamburg bun recipe?

Not the OP but this is a very reliable recipe.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
Love kitchen science experiments! Have you tried making yogurt? You can get it ready in the evening and let it ferment overnight.

Homemade wine? That is our favorite DIY by far and also quite popular with others.

Homemade wine? This is something that I would love to try since I drink wine every night but I live in an apartment and probably don't have the space. How do you do it?
You have plenty of room in an apartment to make small batches of wine.

We published a blog post today on how to make wine from frozen juice concentrate. Take a look at it. Leave any comments or questions you may have. Cheers!

Joan-eh?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2015, 07:58:37 PM »
I fail always at yoghurt anyone have a foolproof recipe?

Cheese sounds interesting. What would be recommended for a beginner?

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2015, 11:56:21 PM »

Here's what I do:

Bring 4 cups of whole milk to a boil slowly while stirring with a whisk fairly often
Allow to cool to 110 degrees (ice bath to speed up the process)
Remove 1 cup of the milk and stir in plain yogurt (I use 1/2 of the single serving size of Fage Greek yogurt)
Return milk/starter to the pot and whisk to evenly incorporate
Pour in jars and place in yogurt maker for 8 hours

If I want to make vanilla yogurt I stir 4 tbsp of white sugar and 1 tbsp of vanilla into the milk before adding the milk/starter back to the pot.

Are you using a yogurt machine or the cooler method? My guess if you're failing is that it's not incubating warm enough, or that you're adding the starter in before the milk has cooled enough. Besides that yogurt really is so fool proof, you shouldn't have any trouble!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2015, 08:12:23 AM »

Mozzarella is really easy. The temperature is critical, so make sure to get a submersible thermometer (dairy thermometer or the like) and test it out in boiling water, which should read exactly 100 degrees C or 212 F (assumes altitude is near sea level - otherwise subtract 1.75 degrees F per 1000'). The other key is getting very fresh milk. I tried it with direct-from-the-farm (but still pasteurized) milk and had much more reliable results than the grocery store milk.

Fresh made mozzarella is so incredibly good, and so easy to make. As a bonus, use the whey (the leftover liquid) to make bread, delicious and more nutritious.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2015, 08:14:28 AM »

Here's what I do:

Bring 4 cups of whole milk to a boil slowly while stirring with a whisk fairly often
Allow to cool to 110 degrees (ice bath to speed up the process)
Remove 1 cup of the milk and stir in plain yogurt (I use 1/2 of the single serving size of Fage Greek yogurt)
Return milk/starter to the pot and whisk to evenly incorporate
Pour in jars and place in yogurt maker for 8 hours

If I want to make vanilla yogurt I stir 4 tbsp of white sugar and 1 tbsp of vanilla into the milk before adding the milk/starter back to the pot.

Are you using a yogurt machine or the cooler method? My guess if you're failing is that it's not incubating warm enough, or that you're adding the starter in before the milk has cooled enough. Besides that yogurt really is so fool proof, you shouldn't have any trouble!
The milk can be heated in the microwave - decreases the chance of scorching and need to stir frequently. You can also use the microwave as an incubator vessel.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
Marmalade today! I just made enough mixed citrus marmalade for about two years*. The citrus today was lemons, limes, oranges and a few mandarins. Plus a few cape gooseberries I had lying about (I know, not a citrus, but is a slightly tart aromatic fruit which matches perfectly).

500g citrus : 1 lemon : 1L water : 500ml additional citrus juice : 1.5kg sugar

I prefer a mix of citrus fruit, not just straight oranges, and I tend to put the entire peel and pith in, and tie up the pips into a muslin bag and cook that in with it too, which seems to provide sufficient pectins to achieve set.

* I suspect most of it will be gone before the end of the year as sweet preserves make easy gifts

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »
I love this thread! In fact, it inspired me to finally figure out DIY BBQ sauce.... and it was 'meh'. I know BBQ sauce is really divisive by region- I tend to favor the smoky flavors, not a fan of very sweet or tomato-y tasting. The sauce I made tasted a bit like BBQ-ish marinara sauce. Anyone have a good recipe?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
I love this thread! In fact, it inspired me to finally figure out DIY BBQ sauce.... and it was 'meh'. I know BBQ sauce is really divisive by region- I tend to favor the smoky flavors, not a fan of very sweet or tomato-y tasting. The sauce I made tasted a bit like BBQ-ish marinara sauce. Anyone have a good recipe?

Hi Bracken_Joy!
I haven't settled on a favorite BBQ sauce yet - but one of the things that is on my list to experiment is using raisin paste to build the flavour profile off of. Hubby got gifted some really good artisanal BBQ sauce for his Birthday and this was the first ingredient.  It also has Tamarind paste and some anchovies in it (although I never would have guessed.)

Those ingredients would definitely keep it from the tomato-forward realm. Also if you cut some of the sugar with the fruit pastes it would be less sweet. To pump up the smoke you could add some smoked salt and/or liquid smoke to it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »

Hi Bracken_Joy!
I haven't settled on a favorite BBQ sauce yet - but one of the things that is on my list to experiment is using raisin paste to build the flavour profile off of. Hubby got gifted some really good artisanal BBQ sauce for his Birthday and this was the first ingredient.  It also has Tamarind paste and some anchovies in it (although I never would have guessed.)

Those ingredients would definitely keep it from the tomato-forward realm. Also if you cut some of the sugar with the fruit pastes it would be less sweet. To pump up the smoke you could add some smoked salt and/or liquid smoke to it.

I was considering playing with adding fish sauce since it really pumps up the depth on a lot of things, so I'm glad to see anchovies as an option... maybe I'm on to something!

I used strained tomatoes as the base of the last recipe. Is ketchup or tomato paste a better option? It's hard to balance flavor with keeping it cheap! Tamarind could be a good idea, it's usually fairly cheap at indian markets.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
I used strained tomatoes as the base of the last recipe. Is ketchup or tomato paste a better option? It's hard to balance flavor with keeping it cheap! Tamarind could be a good idea, it's usually fairly cheap at indian markets.

Personally, I have never liked using Ketchup as a base, there is so.so. much sugar in it that it limits your options for what you can add.  If you are anywhere that that a Middle Eastern market, they usually have HUGE jars of tomato paste for fairly cheap. Most of the brands I am familiar with are Turkish.

I don't have a market close by, so when the sales are good (usually their shipping) I will order my spices/pastes from Tulumba. http://www.tulumba.com/icy_qSrch.asp?ops=s&x=&tag=&s=tomato+paste that is the link to their tomato pastes, you can get a 24 oz jar for less than 5.00. So much cheaper than getting those stupid little tins from the store.