Author Topic: Cycled 30 km (500 ft climbing) with my four year old . . .  (Read 1832 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Cycled 30 km (500 ft climbing) with my four year old . . .
« on: April 23, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
So it's mostly a record of his badassity, not mine . . . but anyhoo.  :P

I bought one of these for 100$ last week:

It came in the mail and I was wildly disappointed.  It weighted about 27 lbs, the rear wheel wouldn't spin when pushing it with my hand without a lot of force, the cranks were extremely hard to turn, the attachment that secures it to the seatpost wouldn't move freely, the pedals were a bit too far for my son's feet to reach, the handlebars required that he hold his hands up way too high.  Ugh.  So, I brought it into our basement and stripped the whole thing down.

Eventually I had it in working order:
- took off the flag, fenders, chain guard, stem, handlebars, seatpost, saddle
- took the rear wheel out, and completely disassembled the hub (it had been adjusted way too tight and there was no grease in it
- took the bottom bracket apart and greased/reassembled it (again, came way too tight and with no grease)
- took apart the bit that secures the trailer to the bike, applied threadlock to it, and then adjusted it looser so that it swivels properly
- rifled through my spare parts bin and replaced saddle with a more comfortable one that sits a bit lower, replaced the seatpost with a lighter one that's easier to adjust, replaced handlebars with a light pair of aluminum drop bars, replaced the stem with a lighter aluminum quill stem.
- wrapped the drop bars in some used bar tape lying around the garage

In all, we dropped about five lbs off the weight of the attachment, got everything working perfectly from a mechanical standpoint, and adjusted it all so that my son could pedal properly and reach the bars comfortably.

My four year old had a blast pedaling along behind me, and I could actually feel him helping on some of the hills and flat stretches.  It's actually much faster than cycling with the bike trailer (I think because the trailer catches more wind and is less aerodynamic).  When he moves it kinda throws me off balance a bit, so I can't stand while climbing and have to hold the bars a bit more firmly than I normally would . . . but all in all it's a lot of fun.  Our son was pretty wiped out by the end of it too, and he had a great sleep last night.  Hopefully we can work our way up to some 50+ km bike rides this summer.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Cycled 30 km (500 ft climbing) with my four year old . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 06:07:10 PM »
hats off to you, Canadian-alien-on-a-bike. 
I'm particularly impressed that you didn't just say f-this when it came so horribly tuned, but took the time to make it run right.
the manufacturer ought to give you a discount or something.... they won't, but they ought to.

dashuk

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 03:06:05 AM »
Good work both of you.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:30:42 AM »
hats off to you, Canadian-alien-on-a-bike. 
I'm particularly impressed that you didn't just say f-this when it came so horribly tuned, but took the time to make it run right.
the manufacturer ought to give you a discount or something.... they won't, but they ought to.

Initially I was kinda annoyed that it was so poorly put together, but it was fun to take it apart and see how stuff works.  I've never seen a cup and cone bottom bracket, or taken apart one piece cranks so I got to learn some new bike repair skills.  I used some pretty heavy duty waterproof grease for everything, so it should last quite a while now too before needing another service.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 08:21:52 AM »
We have 2 of these in our garage. Picked them up used and in disrepair for about $25 each.  Our biggest challenge has been finding the right attachments to connect to the seatpost on Momma's bike. Last fall we cobbled together one working trailer out of the two and found that our wobbly 6 yr old (he refuses to learn how to ride a bike) really didn't understand how to sit still.

We'll need to work on balance with him a bunch. A big bunch. For now we have him on training wheels cabbaged off another old bike, but he has some serious lean going on while he rides.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
I'm about 200 lbs, and our son is about 35.  He does lean around a lot as we're riding (not safe to stand while climbing hills because of this) but generally it's not too bad to handle.  If your wife is lighter and your son is heavier, I think that it would be much more difficult to control.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »
...our wobbly 6 yr old (he refuses to learn how to ride a bike) really didn't understand how to sit still.

We'll need to work on balance with him a bunch. A big bunch. For now we have him on training wheels cabbaged off another old bike, but he has some serious lean going on while he rides.

Get a bike that is the right size for your son or a little too small. Take off the pedals so it becomes a push bike. My kids learned to balance in no time at all this way. Added back the pedals and they were riding really quickly. Compare that to me at that age - it took weeks of little bike crashes to learn.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
...our wobbly 6 yr old (he refuses to learn how to ride a bike) really didn't understand how to sit still.

Get a bike that is the right size for your son or a little too small. Take off the pedals so it becomes a push bike. My kids learned to balance in no time at all this way. Added back the pedals and they were riding really quickly. Compare that to me at that age - it took weeks of little bike crashes to learn.

THansk for the tip Joe.

With this being our third kid, and the other two already riding proficiently (see signature), I can assure you that each kid learns their own way.

So far this one's way has not been tricycle, balance bike, normal bike with pedals off, or bike trailer. Our current attempt is a normal bike with one badly undersized training wheel. So far, so good...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »
Update - We did 35 km over some steeper terrain in some pretty high winds this past Sunday.  I've been trying to explain to my son that he can stop pedalling when we're going down hill . . . right now he pedals harder when we start picking up speed because he finds it more fun.  It made for more exciting cornering the first time he did it when I wasn't prepared.  :P

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 02:25:23 PM »
I picked up a trail-a-bike on Kijiji last year to get my then 4-year old son to summer camp and the balance issue was always a little off-putting. I even had a driver pull over to share his concerns that we were going to tip over (never did though).

I’m about 160 lbs and he’s about 50 lbs.

He has since mastered riding a two wheeler on his own so we haven’t tried it now that he has a better understanding of the importance of balance on a bike. We may still end up using it on longer rides.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
Yeah, the balance thing is certainly something to be aware of.  I weigh about 200 lbs and my son is 35, so the discrepancy is not so bad.  I'm also a pretty experienced cyclist.  My wife is 110 lbs, and there's no way it would be safe for her to cycle with our son.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 03:53:01 PM »
Yeah, the balance thing is certainly something to be aware of.  I weigh about 200 lbs and my son is 35, so the discrepancy is not so bad.  I'm also a pretty experienced cyclist.  My wife is 110 lbs, and there's no way it would be safe for her to cycle with our son.
Maybe you could suggest to your wife that she gain 90 lbs?  For safety?