Author Topic: Cutting the Cable -- Not so bad  (Read 4133 times)

Farmgirl

• Stubble
Cutting the Cable -- Not so bad
« on: May 29, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
Our cable provider finally pushed me over the line.  $11 per month increase for basic cable and internet..no phone in this bundle.

DH signed on for a trial of Hulu and after spending the weekend with it, it's not so bad.  I really had my reservations.  Mainly, not being able to figure out how to work it (technologically impaired), that it would have just old shows and junk on it, and that I would hate it. 

Proven wrong.

So we will have internet only at the house, Netflix (1 DVD at a time), HULU, and Amazon Prime.  Netflix may be ditched as well.

Savings = $75 per month

Quint

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cutting the Cable -- Not so bad
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 07:14:23 AM »
I finally convinced my wife to make the switch recently as well.  We used Hulu pretty much exclusively for a few months and that convinced her she could find plenty to watch on it.  We do have access to Prime and Netflix through family members but we've watched maybe two or three shows on them and I really can't see paying for them right now.

L2

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 07:32:55 AM »
Fellow cordcutter here going on a little over 2 years strong. I only have internet and share a netflix account with my brother (we each split the cost). I also have an OTA antenna and get all of the locals in good HD. I then use a FireTV/Xbox with my dad's DISH login to watch just about anything I'd like to live. See if you can borrow/buy a friend's login and you won't miss it at all.

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »
It took me several years of coaxing to do this.  Thanks for your support!

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:32:07 AM »
It took me several years of coaxing to do this.  Thanks for your support!
I appreciate the (likely inadvertent) pun!

Tiniest Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
My husband and I sold our TV and unsubscribed from Netflix a year ago. There are amazing TV shows out there but it was sucking our time with that "just one more episode" mentality. It was just too easy to power on and veg out.

About once a month we watch a DVD from the library on the laptop. This increases a little in the winter as it's dark a lot here and I will admit I re-subscribed to Netflix on Christmas day to keep my mother and sister happy as they do not get along are not adjusted to a TV household. So worth the €8!

We use the time to do some easy hobbies like drawing or knitting or go for a walk to see ducks and geese at a lake near our house. I find that we talk more and even sleep better without it. It's calm and quiet and does not feel like deprivation.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:48:37 AM »
Badass!

we've actually never had cable tv.

Fast internet + amazon Prime is good enough for us. Lots of people use boxes/dongles such as Chromecast, Firestick etc. Never been more options.

next step of badassity: cut way back on passive screen time ;)

umterp1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
We semi-cut the cord, getting rid of Direct TV and going to Directtv NOW.  We also have Hulu, and use share a netflix acct with the inlaws.  I'd get rid of it all together.  I cant even tell you the last time I've actually watched TV shows.  The only thing I really watch is sports, which I usually find online somewhere.

I want to drop it entirely, but wife wants to keep it b/c of the kids show apps. 

PNW Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »
Congrats!

I've reduced our cable package in the past as an attempt to save $$. DH is a huge TV watcher (sports) so I haven't pushed hard on this. Low and behold, we somehow got onto the topic of how expensive our Comcast bill was and he was shocked, full on agreeing that we are spending way too much. I rambled off a few options - cutting our land line, reducing our cable channels, etc. and he was in full agreement of both. I didn't press him to cut cable entirely, but perhaps in time. Win! 

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »
Congratulations, Farmgirl! It's so easy not having cable. I have Netflix streaming + 1 DVD and also Amazon Prime. That, plus what's available for free, is more than enough for us. It would be nice to watch the end of The Americans, but I can wait until it becomes available through Prime.

IMO the only reason to have cable is if your household has a diehard sports fan and he or she has to watch at home. The only time I miss cable is during the Olympics, every two years.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 04:31:19 AM »
Nice! You will not miss it, and in some time ask yourself why you had it to begin with.

Tiniest Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 07:07:08 AM »
Nice! You will not miss it, and in some time ask yourself why you had it to begin with.

I second this. Enjoy your freedom!

AM43

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 08:39:27 AM »
Cut our cable provider loose this month and signed up with Hulu.
They have everything I need and more.
We have Netflix as well and I dont think I will be needing that.
All those cable and satellite companies are obsolete.
They just dont know it yet.
I suspect in less than 10 years there will be no cable companies.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
Good job!

DishNetwork made me mad in March, so I cut the cord.  I am honestly shocked at how many channels we get over the antenna, and also shocked at how little we actually watch tv now.  The kids (8-12) haven't even complained.  They actually <gasp> want to go for walks and play board games with me now.  It's wonderful!

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »
I suspect in less than 10 years there will be no cable companies.

Comcast is finishing it's second giant skyscraper in Center City Philadelphia and is already planning their third…

… the end is near.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »
We haven't had cable in years and have a patchwork of options that work fine. We have Hulu, Netflix and Prime, all of which we stream over our Roku box. Personally I could probably be fine with only one of these because there are so many channels you can get over the Roku box with free entertainment. Most of the major networks offer an app for Roku that have some of their programming for free plus there are apps like Crackle. PBS has an app with a lot of stuff on it, too.

I also splurged and got an antenna this year so we could watch the Olympics. It was only $15 and worked great, especially considering we have the TV in the basement. So now we have that, too.

MustacheBeginner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »
I cut my cable years ago. It’s all absolutely unwatchable anyway with all the commercial breaks. I prefer Netflix.

red_pill

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 11:03:34 PM »
We did the same years ago and will NEVER go back!  One thing that worked for us is not having a tv in our bedroom and getting rid of the tv that was in the living room in view of the kitchen. It was just so easy to leave on all day. Now if we want to watch something it’s not a “passive” thing that just happens, it’s goong to the basement rec room for a movie.  Result - we sometimes go weeks without turning on the tv.  But often it’s one movie a weekend on Netflix or iTunes

Be warned, though - in a few months you won’t be able to watch regular tv - the commercials will drive you nuts!  Every time I’m in a hotel and try to watch something it’s unbearable and I realize how stupid it was to have a tv habit to begin with.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 07:01:38 AM »
I moved to DirecTV Now. $35 a month but good for two accounts. I share with another so I pay $17.50 a month. I don't actually watch TV but the people staying at my house do. They seem to like it.

They had a special  - if you sign up for three months you got a free Apple TV. I think they have it again - now a free Apple TV 4K.

My wife watches tons of foreign TV for free. She is hogging the TV now as I type this!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »
I highly recommend switching Netflix from DVD to streaming.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 10:19:46 AM »
We cut the cord in March 2017 and neither one of us misses it at all.  I'll admit I'm more of a tv-watcher than DH, who basically watches news clips on his computer.    We have Amazon Prime which provides plenty of viewing options for us.

TV is such a time suck.  My quality of life is better without it.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
I cut cable years ago, which was about $12/mo at the time for basic cable.  The final straw for me was when they started scrambling ALL channels, so I couldn't use my HTPC to tune in network channels in HD without additional expenses.  They were only providing crappy standard def cable boxes unless I would pay extra.  I cut the cord, put up an antenna in the attic, and haven't missed cable.

I do NOT subscribe to any streaming services or Amazon Prime, nor do I rent or purchase movies.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:17:11 AM by DreamFIRE »

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:03 AM »
We unhooked all of the cable stuff that needs to be returned over the weekend.

We also had to spring for one new TV at Sam's Club $180.  Its been so long since we've bought a new TV I was amazed at how low the prices were.

I "flew solo" with working the controls last night.  It takes me awhile to get comfortable with stuff like that.  That's why it has taken me so long to cut cable.  I just like to press a button and it goes on.  But $75 in savings is a good motivator to learn!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 07:07:42 AM »
We cut cable years ago, and have used a Tablo TV and an antenna in the attic to record OTA shows.  Once you buy the device and the schedule subscription, there are no fees (and you can ff through commercials). 

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 04:23:14 PM »
OTA for regular channels, with capture device / computer for recording.
YouTubeTV for $35 (got in before it went to $40).
Internet only, $40 a month 100/100.  I switch back and forth between cable and telco every year to get the promo rate.
Public library for movies.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 06:13:29 AM »
Cut the cord back in March after purchasing a Firestick.
I have Amazon Prime but don't use the free video.
I use Terrarium TV and Mobdro 99% of the time.
  Terrarium TV has 1000s of archived episodic
TV shows and Movies.
  Mobdro has live broadcast of most of the common
networks that you know, plus most of the news networks,
also movies, sports, music, and dozens of foreign networks.
 For the other conservative on the forum, Mobdro even has get Foxnews!
Keep your eye on Amazon, The Firestick goes on sale for $24.99
ever once in a while.
  When I dropped cable TV and the phone, a price increase just came through,
I'm saving over $100 a month, or as Pete would figure, $20k over 10 years
earning 7%.
 Youtube is very informative on how to install the apps on a Firestick.
  The switch has lowered our TV time, as you do make a choice what you watch
rather than landing on the first thing that catches your interest.
  Also have a home built 4 bay antenna for OTA local channels.

DealingWithDreams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 03:23:35 PM »
I am so glad I found this thread! Please help me convince my H that we *need* to get rid of the cable bill. It is $171 per month (yes! almost 200!!!)

We have internet and cable in one, with the cheaper of the two providers in my area.

Even if internet was close to 100, it would still be cheaper!

My H spends a lot of time watching tv and the Golf Channel.

What things would I have to buy to still watch basic tv plus the darn Golf channel? We have netflix and prime accounts, and recently bought a firestick.

TY!

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
What things would I have to buy to still watch basic tv plus the darn Golf channel?

YoutubeTV has the golf channel and a bunch more for $40/month. Of course you still need internet.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
Yeah, the Golf Channel is expensive.  There are some options listed here.

For OTA stuff, you just need an antenna, but what type depends on where you live.  You can get an idea by putting your address in on Antenna Web here.  If you want a DVR, there are options for that (we use a Tablo TV)

DealingWithDreams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2018, 07:14:39 AM »
thank you both for replying! i'm going to check those options out. it looks like the service that has thgolf channel will be anywhere from 35-40/month. Still, ultimately, cheaper than 171. TY!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!