Author Topic: Cucumber Salad  (Read 2384 times)

primozaj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cucumber Salad
« on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:03 AM »
So last week I was traveling for work and I have been working on losing some weight so I found a salad to try... Cucumber Salad.  I was drawn to it because it didn't come with a high calorie dressing.  I think I paid like $10 or $11... ridiculous, I know.  Well anyway, I attempted to make it myself last night and it was a success.  I was not even trying to get the best deal (I bought some organics) and I spent $12.98 at Kroger on what looks to be like 4-5 servings of what I got at the hotel.

Ingredients:
Pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (could experiment with different types)
Two English cucumbers, sliced into rounds that were then cut in half (other types might be better)
Pack of cilantro, used about 3-4 tbsp of leaves (I used my scale and I never got to a gram)
Half onion, sliced into quarter circles (other half I'm saving for a chicken salad that I'll make tonight)
Juice of 4 limes (I cut them in half and used my hand juicer rather than just trying to squeeze them - probably could have gotten away with 3 limes)

I put the veggies in a bowl, then poured about 1/3 of the juice into the bowl and stirred.  Tore up the cilantro leaves and threw that in with some kosher salt and then stirred again.  Poured the rest of the lime juice in and stirred and then put a lid on and refrigerated overnight so it could "cook" in the citrus juice.

It was delicious!!  One of my vegan coworkers wanted to steal it from me.  Anyway, quite the badassity for me since I travel so much and haven't really made anything in the last several years that wasn't a Kroger prep+pared box (and I only have done this a couple times).

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Cucumber Salad
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 01:24:12 PM »
Good recipe.

A similar version that we make often is to substitute the limes for vinegar (either rice-wine or red-wine works well) and the cilantro for one garlic clove.

it's a different flavor profile but also cuts the cost down considerably (15¢ for vinegar & 10¢ for garlic vs $1.50 for cilantro and $1 for limes - at least at my grocer-prices).

Other variations include tossing in some feta as you serve, or switching cilantro for dill.
Tasty!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 03:18:13 AM »
Good recipe.

A similar version that we make often is to substitute the limes for vinegar (either rice-wine or red-wine works well) and the cilantro for one garlic clove.

it's a different flavor profile but also cuts the cost down considerably (15¢ for vinegar & 10¢ for garlic vs $1.50 for cilantro and $1 for limes - at least at my grocer-prices).

Other variations include tossing in some feta as you serve, or switching cilantro for dill.
Tasty!

^ this with Dill

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:36:20 AM »
sounds yummy!

we do something similar except we add chopped red peppers and sometimes tofu or beans of some kind and we use Balsamic vinegar as a dressing.  it's so easy and tasty and perfect for a hot summer day. 

You might also like a chopped asian salad I make.  Chopped peppers, green onion, red and green cabbage, cilantro, sesame seeds, edamame or white beans if you like, shredded carrots.  Topped with a soy/ginger/orange dressing.  So good!!!  google chopped asian salad and you should find the recipe or something similar. 

KLK75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
We make the same except Italian  parsley instead of cilantro and lemon instead of lime.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
I love cucumber salad -- it's a mainstay for me in the summers. Cucumbers + miscellaneous veggies (tomato? avocado? carrot? onion? who knows what will end up in there?) + something acid makes a great cooling meal.

Congrats on finding a veggie-ful, delicious meal that you can make cheaply and easily for yourself. Those are always wins. :)

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 09:24:25 PM »
Yum!! that sounds super good!  I love cucumber+tomato+olives+feta+purple onions in the Summer when I've got bunches of ripe tomatoes from the garden! In the winter I can't make it because tomatoes here in the off season are $$$, and so are cucumbers!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 08:18:41 AM »
I made a cucumber salad every day for lunch pretty much all of last year. I make a big bowl and then eat over 3 days, so I found at the end the cucumbers got soggy. Now I make a spinach based or arugala based salad that seems to last longer. But I agree, cucumber salad is fantastic.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 08:36:25 AM »
I love cucumber salads. One of my favorites is an asian sesame one with softened seaweed added. https://reciperunner.com/asian-cucumber-sesame-salad/