Author Topic: Communications & Tech Discussion Thread #2  (Read 260932 times)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
Re: Communications & Tech Discussion Thread #2
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2018, 05:42:34 AM »
Thank you very much for your help and insights over the years Daley, it's been much appreciated. :)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2018, 07:52:38 AM »
I've said it before - you rule. Thanks for the countless hours over the years guiding the community on this one bit of our financial lives.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2018, 07:58:53 AM »
I appreciate the kind words everyone. It is my sincerest hope that where and when possible, a greater wisdom than "how to save money" may have still shone through... even despite myself and my hypocrisy.

What is your next adventure, if you’re willing to share?

I really don't know, exactly. But that's part of the faith - just trust that He will continue to keep His promises and that He has you if you're willing to shema (hear, listen and do) and come to Him through Yeshua.

It would do my heart great joy to see a return of the Acts 2 church in my lifetime. I'd like to be a part of that if it did.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:01:02 AM by Daley »

dorster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
Hi, I've got a cell phone question (I realize IP Daley is resigning but maybe others can help?).

I've had Republic for a few years (paying about $13-$15/month) and been happy with the service.  I have a couple year old Moto E 2nd gen that Ive been happy with until recently.

I mainly use my phone--in order of importance--for podcasts, navigating with offline maps (both driving and hiking), and texting/calling.

My phone's had a broken screen for a few months, the gps has become much more sluggish to locate where I am (it sometimes fails completely, in both google maps and OSMandroid, I assume this is the phone but I'm not sure, the OSM app I bought is no longer supported and they've moved to subscriptions service I haven't signed up for yet), and the phone in general seems to be slowing down.  None of these are huge problems.

However, a problem that just started and has been quite frustrating, is that the headphone jack seems to be wearing out. Podcasts frequently stop playing (because it thinks I've unplugged the headphones...this will happen when I put the phone in my pocket, or take a step, or move--anything that jiggles the jack).

The headphone jack seems clear that it wore out from use.  The other issues I'm unsure if it's just from the phone "deteriorating" or because the phone is an older model.  I was hoping to get some suggestions to replace it.

It seems I can get a moto e 2nd gen for about $50 (XT1529 from B&H).  But I'm unsure if I shouldn't buy a newer phone so that it won't become quickly obsolete or unsupported.  Moto E4's seem to be about 3x as much which seems like more than I'd want to pay.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

PS:  My girlfriend doesn't have a smartphone, and wouldn't pay for one--for frugality and ethical reasons, but would probably appreciated having my old Moto to use for the offline maps and navigating.
PPS: sorry for the long first post.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
Get Bluetooth accessories. Every phone I’ve ever had has had the headphone jack break on it.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2018, 05:34:23 PM »
I'd suggest that there might be compacted lint and fluff in the headphone port that's preventing the headphones from being fully plugged in. Maybe try and pick out some lint (using something preferably not metal) and see if that helps :)

Worst case, maybe you can DIY a headphone port replacement.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2018, 05:40:06 AM »
Thank you @Daley for all your help, I have learned so much from you. And thank you for being willing to share your knowledge and your timely responses to almost every question asked of you, that couldn't have been easy with everything else going on in real life :-). You will be missed, good luck with your future endeavors!!

Matt

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
Motorola, why you no sell unlocked Moto E5s???

If the price of E4s drops enough I might get one of those instead too...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2018, 12:00:14 AM »
Glad I procrastinated, this guy came along since I last looked:

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-3-1-16-GB-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B07DDBQ67F/

Pre-ordered one, now I just need a case for the clumsy future owner...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:55 PM »

No bloat and fast, great buy for this price point, would order again. $600 flagships are for the birds, y'all.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2018, 02:36:58 AM »

No bloat and fast, great buy for this price point, would order again. $600 flagships are for the birds, y'all.

Congrats! Glad you like it.

Flagship pricing is crazy nowadays (especially here in Australia). Is a Galaxy S9 (or iPhone) really four times as good as a Nokia 3.1 or Moto G5S?

benstagram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »
Does anyone have experience/opinions on Red Pocket Mobile? I'm currently on a Walmart Family Mobile plan that costs $25/month for 1 GB of data. I'm considering their $15/month plan with 1GB of data and 1000 texts/1000 minutes. Coverage map looks like it will be alright. Thanks!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2018, 06:11:35 AM »
I use Red Pocket (their Verizon CDMA version, rather than their ATT GSM offering). It took a few calls to set up, probably because the CDMA plan was new to them and I had a bonus month. Since then things have gone well.

I’m on the $10/month plan (500 minutes, 500 texts, 500mb), which works quite well for my low needs.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
Read an article today, it's worth paying attention to: Ajit Pai loses in court—FCC can’t kill broadband subsidy in Tribal areas - Ars Technica

I bring this to your attention because the outcome of this is very important. I am glad the US Court of Appeals has blocked the FCC decision to drastically alter Lifeline services, but am unsure how long that may last and how far up the flag pole this gets run. If you like affordable phone service at all, you need to understand why this stay is a good thing, and know about the FCC's Lifeline services plans and what's coming along with the collateral damage if they push this through anyway.

This will impact far more than just Lifeline customers. Many of the MVNOs in this country have to scrap it out for survival with a not insignificant Lifeline user base on their own rolls, and Ajit Pai is ramrodding these plans through because, "limiting the use of subsidies to buy service from resellers will encourage carriers to build their own networks." Similar has increasingly happened with independent and smaller ISPs providing expanded Lifeline. The reality is this will damage the wholesale reseller telecoms industry in this country across the board, and one has to wonder how these miracle networks Pai boasts about will be built when the phone pole owners refuse competition access (see Google Fiber in Nashville against AT&T and Comcast, for example), many municipalities support wired communications monopolies and duopolies, and most of the useful wireless spectrum in this country is already owned by five, sorry, soon to be four mega corporations (only if you count USCC as sufficiently large enough to even qualify as a national mobile network).

It's also hanging the poor out to dry. AT&T dropped all their Lifeline customers off on wholesalers and MVNOs last year, now the FCC is trying to push out wholesale providers for Lifeline customers, despite the fact that it's the resellers who are now the only ones providing reasonably priced monthly service packages in the first place. And let's not even get started with the fact that this is for the most part over a less than $10 monthly subsidy that barely covers much service in the first place when it may be your only source of communications available... and this is a service that currently supports over 12 million subscribers.

This disgusts me. We've made it illegal in this country for people to live in ramshackle huts without electricity, doubly so with children involved if you want to send them to public school or lose them to CPS. We've made it impossible for minimum wage workers to work without having phone access. Then we treat them like they're spoiled because they (by necessity) have refrigerators, stoves and cellphones and juggling between bills just trying to stay afloat...

You want to know one of the biggest reasons that contributed to why I couldn't keep doing the guide and shut down the website? This. This right here. The heartlessness, the cruelty, and the corruption in the modern US telecom industry. Don't think you're immune because you're not living hand to mouth. Your impoverished neighbors are the canaries in your societal coal mine, and it's policies just like these that are getting pushed through all layers of government right now.

It breaks my heart, no matter how much I saw it coming. Any society that so devalues human life for the sake of such personal greed cannot practice true justice. Greed ruins lives. I mourn with poor, the broken hearted, the sick, the orphans, the immigrants, and the marginalized of this land. My hope is neither here or now, but frankly it's hard living through it all the same.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:04:19 PM by Daley »

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
Thanks Daley.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »
Has anyone tried to take an Android phone and removing anything Google from it?

I'm kinda tempted to try something like that on my old Moto G as an experiment. I'm guessing installing LineageOS but not the Google apps is the way to go (Replicant seems to have very limited device support)? F-Droid or some other app store would be the go.

It'd be possibly a bridge too far for my daily phone though. :)

EDIT: Tried it tonight, my old Moto that was limited to Lollipop by Motorola is now running Nougat. No Google apps/services to be seen. Kinda neat.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:57:17 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2018, 06:57:24 AM »
Has anyone tried to take an Android phone and removing anything Google from it?

I had actually experimented extensively with such a beast using Resurrection Remix on an old Moto E a few months back, trying to see if I could actually stomach leaving Windows Mobile with or without enough Microsoft apps in the Play store.

The setup used F-Droid, Yalp Store (Yalp was the only third party source of Play Apps I found where dev signatures consistently matched with Google's store apps), UnifiedNLP (no GAPPS) with RadioCells backend, and FakeGapps to satisfy any Microsoft (or other, say, FreedomPop) apps that overly relied on the Google infrastructure.

I tried a full Microsoft-centric experience (both their launcher and various Windows style tile launchers, Cortana, Outlook for mail and calendar, Office, OneNote, Authenticator, News, Weather, Groove, SwiftKey, etc.). I also tried a less network-services tied "dumber phone" configuration using most of Tibor Kaputa's Simple Mobile Tools.

It worked both ways. It was usable. It wasn't nice enough to pry my cheap as dirt and still updating Lumia from my hands, but if I were forced to go back to Android instead of just wholly abandoning using a mobile device? I could probably make it work, and prefer it over the full-blown Google experience. I'll miss the Windows launcher and tiles, though. Just because you can make Android's launcher look like Windows Phone doesn't mean you can actually convincingly make it behave like Windows Phone (especially the dash, and yes, even Cortana). It was easier for me to accept Android's limitations when I wasn't trying to ape the Windows Phone UI and constantly being reminded that this monstrosity ain't that. Heh.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:13:23 AM by Daley »

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2018, 06:10:38 AM »
I had actually experimented extensively with such a beast using Resurrection Remix on an old Moto E a few months back, trying to see if I could actually stomach leaving Windows Mobile with or without enough Microsoft apps in the Play store.

The setup used F-Droid, Yalp Store (Yalp was the only third party source of Play Apps I found where dev signatures consistently matched with Google's store apps), UnifiedNLP (no GAPPS) with RadioCells backend, and FakeGapps to satisfy any Microsoft (or other, say, FreedomPop) apps that overly relied on the Google infrastructure.

Ah nice, I hadn’t heard of Yalp store. I’ve tried F-Droid and Aptoide. The idea of using ‘alternatives’ to the Google Play services is interesting.

I’ve actually decided to temporarily switch to the Motorola (running LineageOS 14.1) for a week or so (I’ve been on my phone too much and I’d like to change that). Tomorrow night I’m going to install a bunch of apps I want to keep (a podcast app, a public transport app and a messaging app or two, and maybe Spotify), and remove almost everything else, including the web browser, email client and any app store, and then switch in my SIM.

Removing the siren call of the web browser in my pocket for a while should help with any bad habits I’ve developed. Anything important enough can wait until I get home.

Some of the main apps have become ridiculously bloated, so maybe some of the ‘alternative’ or FOSS ones are lighter.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:14:56 AM by alsoknownasDean »

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2018, 11:20:34 AM »
FWIW, Airvoice recently updated their Unlimited plans. The $20/mo plan went from 100MB -> 1GB (and they currently have a promotion that gives you 2GB for the same price).

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2018, 01:18:37 AM »
Did anyone else notice that Motorola is now supplying official repair parts (batteries, screens etc) to iFixit?

https://www.androidauthority.com/ifixit-motorola-partnership-fix-kits-917415/
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/23/motorola-and-ifixit-repair-kits/
https://ifixit.org/blog/11644/motorola-ifixit-partnership/

This is a rather big plus IMO. If the future Moto handsets come with Android One (IIRC some already do), then it's an appealing option for a future phone. Great to see a company actually supporting people repairing their own devices.

On another note, I'm amazed at how much mobile data one can get now for not much money. My prepaid plan has gone up to 20GB per 30 days (I prepaid for a year's service back in March for about $21 per month), and there's larger plans still for postpaid. I use a fraction of that data, but signing up for a large plan (50GB+) and cancelling my $60 per month fixed line internet has crossed my mind. Unfortunately I don't think my Chromecast would work well if I'm just tethering my phone for Internet.

Just returned from a holiday where some of it was spent in areas with very limited phone reception, and managed just fine. At one point beforehand I was considering activating a starter kit on another carrier or changing carriers just so I'd have service, but I'm glad I didn't chicken out and do that, even though I had very limited communications for a couple of days :p
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:53:49 AM by alsoknownasDean »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2018, 06:34:09 AM »
Australia apparently has far cheaper cell service than the US--I just got back from a trip down there, and Optus offers a plan that's only $10AUD/mo ($7.20USD) for 1GB plus unlimited talk/text. I pay over twice that in the US

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2018, 02:45:34 AM »
Australia apparently has far cheaper cell service than the US--I just got back from a trip down there, and Optus offers a plan that's only $10AUD/mo ($7.20USD) for 1GB plus unlimited talk/text. I pay over twice that in the US

Yeah mobile service is dirt cheap here, thanks to a price war over the last few years (although I haven't seen $10/month plans with Optus themselves, I've seen that rate with MVNOs on their network). Although our fixed-line internet is generally a bit shitty and expensive, so give and take. :)

I know this is probably against the ethos of Mustachianism, but I feel that I'm happy to pay about $30 a month for phone service, it feels like a fair price. I can get a plan that fits my usage patterns for $20 or even less if I sign up for a year or go with a small MVNO (or reduce my usage), but it's diminishing returns beyond a certain point. It's not like the bad old days when I was paying $164/mo for two devices on contract.

On the topic of the US networks, is it easy to use a device on a different network to what it was originally used on? Is the whole CDMA thing for Sprint/Verizon still causing issues there? We all know that vendor lock-in is antimustachian, after all :)

Speaking of antimustachian, the prices of the new flagship devices...holy moly. I think the new iPhone XS Max tops out at about $1400USD+tax.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:05:50 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2018, 07:19:00 AM »
On the topic of the US networks, is it easy to use a device on a different network to what it was originally used on? Is the whole CDMA thing for Sprint/Verizon still causing issues there? We all know that vendor lock-in is antimustachian, after all :)

The old legacy CDMA networks still cause a split in device models, though most CDMA devices can now be used on the local GSM networks after unlocking. What's really throwing a frog in the punch bowl is LTE spectrum fragmentation, and future 5G network rollout and spectrum fragmentation. The more frequencies a phone tries to support, the more expensive, and larger those phones are, and less capable of actually effectively communicating wirelessly.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2018, 09:39:43 AM »
Speaking of antimustachian, the prices of the new flagship devices...holy moly. I think the new iPhone XS Max tops out at about $1400USD+tax.
No Joke. The latest flagships are literally twice the price of the flagships from a decade ago.  In fact, Apple have simply ratcheted the price up with each level of storage, i.e. their 16GB models (of whatever generation) held the same price of $650 (and add $100 for the plus models), despite the precipitous drop in flash prices over the same period.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
Question regarding printers/scanners: I have a 10 year old HP all-in-one that we barely use for printing, but we're more interested in a scanner.  Many home printers come with a simple scanning capability (mine can scan, but the software barely functions with Windows 10 unless plugged in directly).  Sam's Club is selling a year-old HP all-in-one that is roughly the same price as a replacement set of ink for the printer I have now.  I've looked at purpose-built document scanners, but they're quite expensive. Our need is to convert legal and medical documents to digital and have a paperless household (along with the occasional print job).  Dailey had an opinion on this years ago, but I can't seem to find it. Any thoughts?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2019, 09:10:29 PM »
There's smartphone camera "scanner" software available if the back camera is good enough, though it is a bit imperfect.

I'd mentioned Brother laser MFCs once or twice, but I mostly advocated separate tools to ensure you didn't lose both if one broke. Flatbeds can be cheaper if you have the space, especially older used Canon LIDEs like the LIDE 60 (<$25), but you have to use Canon's old Win7 WIA drivers and a front end like NAPS2 if you're a Windows 10 user. I can't speak to OSX.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2019, 09:58:18 PM »
Yeah I've used the smartphone camera as a scanner in a pinch, but the quality wasn't brilliant. Weirdly it was better when using my old iPad. OK in a pinch but if you're regularly digitising documents I'd suggest a dedicated scanner :)

I've cross-posted this in the 'Ask a Mustachian' section, but I've noticed of late that the CPU usage on my old MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo) is rather high when browsing (often a page will use 30-40% of the CPU). As a result, it gets rather warm with light use (even after cleaning the fans and redoing the heatsink compound), and there's a decent stream of hot air coming out the back of it.

This happens in multiple browsers (Chrome/Firefox/Safari) and in both OSX and Linux.

I'm trying to work out whether the right browser/plugins would help reduce CPU load, or whether it's time to retire the old thing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:32:08 PM by alsoknownasDean »

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2019, 07:50:59 AM »
If you have a big backlog of documents that need to be converted to digital, I recommend one of the purpose-built document scanners despite the price. They get the job done so much faster. A slow flatbed or all-in-one can be tolerable if you're just scanning the occasional thing as it comes in the mail, but would take forever to get through a file cabinet drawer. You can always box the document scanner back up and sell it on Amazon or Craigslist once you're done with it.

bilmar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2019, 09:58:36 PM »
Corporate  Loyalty is for suckers!
My advice is to become carrier agnostic by not using and relying on their email ( I use gmail). Then you can easily jump ship for a better deal with no difficulty or reservations. My two providers Spectrum & At&T both offer deals for new subscribers only so with no email accounts to change, I can just jump ship every year to get the other guy's new subscriber deal. Average saving is about $25 mo

Bill

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2019, 06:20:06 PM »
D'oh. Seems that my phone is misbehaving. If it is what I think it is, I could order new parts from eBay/Amazon/AliExpress and get it right again for about $30, but that's if I don't break the screen while opening it. Those phone repair booths are likely to charge $100+ to repair it, they charged $150 to replace a battery in my phone about a year ago.

So I guess my options are whether to buy the parts online, wait a couple of weeks for delivery and try fixing it myself (using my spare in the meantime), or looking around for a new or refurb device.

$250 seems to get a refurbished 2017 Android flagship that isn't a Samsung (Huawei P10 or HTC U11 and maybe an LG or Sony in that price, the Samsung ones are more expensive), but of course going by my experience with the current phone a new battery is generally required soon afterwards. A decent new midrange phone starts at about $300. Obviously a fresh battery and likelihood of software updates (especially if Android One) almost makes up for the weaker midrange hardware.

I even considered seeing if there was any decent deals for contract phones, but alas, not at present (at least not with the carrier I'm after).

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2019, 06:35:57 PM »
instead of opening up the phone to replace the battery, how about getting a battery case- make sure phone you get has them available

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2019, 08:57:22 PM »
instead of opening up the phone to replace the battery, how about getting a battery case- make sure phone you get has them available

Yeah that could work too.

I've gone to a few phone repair booths at the local shopping centre, and they won't touch it. Seems that they only really bother with iPhones and the odd Samsung.

I also noticed an absolutely cooking deal on a 12 month contract with an Oppo R17. Unfortunately, the carrier that it's with doesn't have reception at my workplace.

Might order the parts and switch to my spare for a bit. Might as well have a try at repairing it myself, worst case is I still need to get another phone.

EDIT: I've ordered the parts/tools from AliExpress to fix and freshen up this phone. If I get it sorted, then I've both fixed the phone and learnt a badass new skill. If it's still busted afterwards, well it's only $60 for the bits and I'd still need a new phone.

I could pick up a decent midrange phone for $3-400 new. Not paying $1000+ for a flagship. Although I will confess that with the mobile quotas of some of the high end plans here, I've considered buying one on contract and picking up a second mobile data SIM to pool/share the 200GB of data. Of course I'd need a facepunch because that setup would be $120 a month (even if I'd save $60 a month by cancelling my ADSL).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:58:33 AM by alsoknownasDean »

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2019, 06:26:37 AM »
Hey @Daley, I wrote here a year ago about upgrading from my old 2G flip phone, and I thought I would write with an update. I was feeling apprehensive because I have mixed feelings about smartphones and am pretty minimalist about using phones in general. I ended up sticking with the same phone to use my prepaid minutes and getting a Obi200 for home to have a home phone.

A couple weeks ago, I finally bought my first smartphone - the Moto G6 for $99 from Google Fi. My husband uses Google Fi and he ordered an extra data-only SIM card from his account for me to use (no extra charge, just charged for the data use at his normal rate). So far I love it! I have yet to actually turn on data for it, but I still have access to really helpful tools like Google Maps that help me navigate (thanks to downloading maps), mobile check deposit, audiobook apps, camera, etc. Google Voice is nicely streamlined into the phone for easily making/receiving calls/texts. I still get to keep my feeling of being untethered because I keep data off and decide when to sign into wifi (I will probably turn on data at some point when I need to get in touch with someone and I'm not in a hotspot). And I don't need to keep it on me at home because I still have my Obi200 and computer at home. So it's pretty much perfect for a phone minimalist like me!

Anyway, thanks again, Daley, for all your wisdom re: phones and teaching me about 2G vs 3G/4G and introducing me to the Obi200. It was so helpful, and I'm really happy with my current setup!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2019, 02:19:29 AM »
I wonder if there's an ATA that, instead of being a VoIP adapter over Wi-Fi or ethernet, that lets you use a SIM card and plug a landline handset in to it and run calls over the mobile network.

I've seen 'classic' phones with cellular modems built in, but they're largely 2G only (no 2G networks are operational here).

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2019, 03:56:15 PM »
I wonder if there's an ATA that, instead of being a VoIP adapter over Wi-Fi or ethernet, that lets you use a SIM card and plug a landline handset in to it and run calls over the mobile network.

I've seen 'classic' phones with cellular modems built in, but they're largely 2G only (no 2G networks are operational here).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_home_phone

ZTE is the most common manufacturer of such devices.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2019, 12:13:28 AM »
I've been very pleasantly surprised with Mint Mobile, as they're one of the very few MVNOs that offer international roaming.

I'm flabbergasted by the huge savings offered if customers prepay for service. I understand that MVNO customers tend to be less affluent and billing issues cost money. I understand that credit card merchant fees disincentivize small purchases.

It still seems unreal that the price of their lowest plan can drop by 40% just because I can swing the 12 month payment.

I'd love for them to offer something cheaper, but this is pretty darn good already.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
Just remember, Paul, Mint is also one of the MVNOs that has a T&C and AUP that defines grounds for terminating service at any time with their users based solely on their arbitrary definition of "profitability" of that user, and considers your using their cell phone service as your primary means of communication a violation of their terms. Their definition of "unlimited" is one of the most fluidly capped I've ever seen defined by an MVNO.

I hope your time with them goes without incident.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »
Just remember, Paul, Mint is also one of the MVNOs that has a T&C and AUP that defines grounds for terminating service at any time with their users based solely on their arbitrary definition of "profitability" of that user, and considers your using their cell phone service as your primary means of communication a violation of their terms. Their definition of "unlimited" is one of the most fluidly capped I've ever seen defined by an MVNO.

I hope your time with them goes without incident.
I agree that their T&Cs are quite broad, but as a regular user with reasonable usage I'm not too concerned.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2019, 06:31:13 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_home_phone

ZTE is the most common manufacturer of such devices.

The ZTE ones look perfect, thanks Daley.

I'm amazed that I haven't seen more of them here. The internet infrastructure here is getting updated nationwide, and in most cases the old PSTN services are being turned off. For those who don't want Internet service but want a landline phone, they're having to resort to using a VDSL (in many areas) modem with a VoIP phone service (provided by the telco and billed like a PSTN service, but more hardware). That's typically $30 per month plus calls, and the modems often don't have a battery backup.

One of those mobile-based setups would be far cheaper for calls, but I guess one of the roadblocks is that here at least it'd have a mobile number (different number range to landlines). Still, there definitely would be a market for that service.

I've done the '12 month prepaid' thing before. It's good for the carrier (they've got your money after all), but obviously if your circumstances change, and you need to change midway through for any reason, you've done your dough.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:05:05 AM by alsoknownasDean »

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »
The internet infrastructure here is getting updated nationwide, and in most cases the old PSTN services are being turned off. For those who don't want Internet service but want a landline phone, they're having to resort to using a VDSL (in many areas) modem with a VoIP phone service (provided by the telco and billed like a PSTN service, but more hardware). That's typically $30 per month plus calls, and the modems often don't have a battery backup.
The set ups I've seen here in the states (primarily AT&T) include a backup battery, but battery maintenance and replacement is pushed off onto the customer. Of course by the time the battery needs replacement, you can probably just take a deal to get another provider to set you up.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2019, 03:52:27 PM »
Anyone got a recommendation for a phone to use with Ting?  I dropped my phone in the toilet this morning RIP.  I bought it 4 years ago for $35, so I can't complain.

It looks like the GSM has the cheaper options on phones.  The cheapest smartphone I've found that appears compatible is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/BLU-S910Q-Unlocked-Dual-SIM-Smartphone/dp/B07JF6L6PF/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=t-mobile+cell+phones&qid=1562707941&s=gateway&sr=8-9

I basically only use it for emails and a few texts/phone calls.  Any help would be appreciated :)

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2019, 05:34:06 PM »
Anyone got a recommendation for a phone to use with Ting?  I dropped my phone in the toilet this morning RIP.  I bought it 4 years ago for $35, so I can't complain.

It looks like the GSM has the cheaper options on phones.  The cheapest smartphone I've found that appears compatible is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/BLU-S910Q-Unlocked-Dual-SIM-Smartphone/dp/B07JF6L6PF/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=t-mobile+cell+phones&qid=1562707941&s=gateway&sr=8-9

I basically only use it for emails and a few texts/phone calls.  Any help would be appreciated :)
I just picked up a Moto E4 like new for about $60 on eBay. I chose the model because it has a removable battery and compatibility up to 4G LTE with all 4 major US carriers (this is the only phone I've found that meets both criteria). Needed the replacement because Verizon's CDMA service my old phone used is being shut down at the end of the year.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2019, 01:57:34 AM »
I just moved to Korea and after switching to a local carrier discovered that Google Voice won't work for me anymore.  Are there any international-friendly WiFi calling apps out there?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
I just moved to Korea and after switching to a local carrier discovered that Google Voice won't work for me anymore.  Are there any international-friendly WiFi calling apps out there?
I know GV won't forward to international numbers, but I thought the WiFi calling works globally. I have used GV to make calls to the US on a WiFi only device in England. Perhaps if you completely remove the GV app and reinstall, you can configure it to not associate with the device's phone number and WiFi calling would work again. You might need to have at least one US based number associated with the account (but you can turn off forwarding of calls to every actual number). If you have someone you trust with a landline in the US, you might see if they'd be OK with using their number as a "Home" phone in GV (GV doesn't allow "Mobile" numbers to be used by multiple accounts, but "Home" or "Work" numbers can be shared). You could also buy a cheap dial in number with a VOIP provider to set as your GV forwarding phone (or jump through the hoops to get a free one).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2019, 06:46:32 AM »
I know GV won't forward to international numbers, but I thought the WiFi calling works globally. I have used GV to make calls to the US on a WiFi only device in England. Perhaps if you completely remove the GV app and reinstall, you can configure it to not associate with the device's phone number and WiFi calling would work again. You might need to have at least one US based number associated with the account (but you can turn off forwarding of calls to every actual number). If you have someone you trust with a landline in the US, you might see if they'd be OK with using their number as a "Home" phone in GV (GV doesn't allow "Mobile" numbers to be used by multiple accounts, but "Home" or "Work" numbers can be shared). You could also buy a cheap dial in number with a VOIP provider to set as your GV forwarding phone (or jump through the hoops to get a free one).

So whatever I was doing earlier doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment.  I think I was trying to build a new profile from scratch and it didn't accept my Korean number.  My Google account still has my original profile and I just made a call home on that number.  As long as Google doesn't want to send anymore verification texts to my old US number I should be okay.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2019, 08:33:13 AM »
Hoping that someone can help me. I have 2 old Verizon flip / slide phones without removable SIM cards. I had them on page plus wireless plans where I could get 100 mins for $10 that didn't expire for 3 months. It gave my kids cell service for the year for about $40. As the kids are young and prone to losing phones, the minutes expired and the phone numbers were relinquished and now page plus only sells NEW service for LTE phones. They would still support the phones had the minutes not lapsed :-/

I am not interested in buying phones that allow my kids to use data or play games, these were pure burner phones. I also don't want to get locked into paying monthly for minutes that we won't use. Are there any remaining options for Verizon MVNOs?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
You MAY be able to use Red Pocket, but their lowest is $60/year (100 minutes a month).  Check the device ID here - https://www.redpocket.com/activate#

I say may because my Mom had an old phone which she could have kept using had it stayed activated, but there was something about emergency/GPS/whatever that meant it could not be reactivated after it was shut down.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2019, 01:35:09 PM »
Are there any remaining options for Verizon MVNOs?

No. Verizon had suspended re-activating CDMA only handsets nearly a year ago (even through MVNO partners) due to their shutting down the old CDMA 1X network at the end of this year to refarm that spectrum (along with their 3G EV-DO spectrum) for LTE network expansion. Even if it hadn't lapsed, the phones wouldn't have worked past December 31st. Basically, if you want to be able to make voice calls on Verizon in 2020, you have to own an LTE phone with Verizon VoLTE capability, which also means LTE-based plans.

Get a couple cheap AT&T 4G LTE flip phones like the Alcatel Flip 2 ($50), and take them to H2O Wireless. $10/90 days will get you 200 minutes, and they offer a buck off if you set up auto-recharge... so that'll be $36/line/year with twice the available minutes accruing. Just know, VoLTE capable 4G "feature" phones are still awful. There are still plenty of cheap AT&T 3G handsets kicking around under $50 used that'll work way better (such as the ZTE Z222/223), but those phones will go end of life and lose cell service on AT&T in February 2022.

Yay planned obsolescence!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2019, 05:54:23 PM »
What's your view on KaiOS Daley?

Probably not suitable for this situation (given it's got internet capabilities) but it seems to be on a few phones nowadays.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!