Author Topic: Communications & Tech Discussion Thread #1  (Read 159314 times)

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Communications & Tech Discussion Thread #1
« Reply #600 on: October 09, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »
So our Samsung S5 lost an argument with gravity yesterday. The glass has a nice impact across half of it.  I called four repair shops in my area about it and one won't touch it because it's too expensive/too much trouble for them, two will charge between $150 and $200 because they want to replace the entire LCD, and the last will charge $80 to replace the glass.  I looked it up and there's quite a process to separate the glass from the LCD unit involving heat treatments and precision techniques.  With the effort portrayed on Youtube for this repair, $80 sounds reasonable; however, I paid $85 for the phone on Ebay.  Is it even worth going through the repair?
My Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/will-i-or-won't-i-a-home-run-or-a-base-hit/

Unlike some other tech companies or skilled-labor industries, we're always hiring.

www.goarmy.com

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #601 on: October 13, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
Can anyone recommend the most cost effective way to unlock a cell phone? I have a Lumia 435 I bought off ebay that was supposed to be unlocked, but it appears not to be after all once I put my Airvoice SIM in it. I'd rather not pay $20 for an unlock code. Are there other solutions?
Proverbs 13:4
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is made fat.

Proverbs 13:11
Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, but the one who gathers by labor increases it.

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGp3WGH/savings.png

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #602 on: October 15, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
Can anyone recommend the most cost effective way to unlock a cell phone? I have a Lumia 435 I bought off ebay that was supposed to be unlocked, but it appears not to be after all once I put my Airvoice SIM in it. I'd rather not pay $20 for an unlock code. Are there other solutions?

Which carrier is it locked to? Is it just a carrier locking or does it not support the network Airvoice uses?

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #603 on: October 16, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »

Which carrier is it locked to? Is it just a carrier locking or does it not support the network Airvoice uses?

The outside of the phone says Microsoft and the previous owner said they bought it unlocked and used it with Straight Talk wireless. When I put the Airvoice SIM in, it just says something about it being manufacturer locked and asks for a code.
Proverbs 13:4
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is made fat.

Proverbs 13:11
Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, but the one who gathers by labor increases it.

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGp3WGH/savings.png