Author Topic: Close to checking off 2015 Financial Goals  (Read 1805 times)

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
Close to checking off 2015 Financial Goals
« on: August 18, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
At the beginning of the year I set 3 financial goals to complete by the end of December 2015:

1.  Max out 401k

2.  Save/Invest x number of dollars this year.  About 50% of my pre-tax income, for the next 10 years.  Which would allow me to conservatively FIRE in 10 years.  I could FIRE sooner if I was aggressive about it.

3.  Pay off my father's car.  I owe $10k at 1.9%.

What I didn't know when I made these goals was buying a house, renovating it, becoming pregnant, taking FMLA, and not getting a full paycheck towards the end of the year. So I modified my goals to:

1.  Max out 401k by September 2015

2.  Save/Invest x number of dollars this year, by September 2015.  About 50% of my pre-tax income (including 401k contributions).

3.  I've moved the pay off date for the car to December 2016 but really want to have it paid off before July 2016 (3 years before loan maturity date).

--------- So Far ---------
#1 is done. I maxed out my 401k on the last paycheck.

#2 is almost done.  I am $3200 from hitting this number (next paycheck).

#3 is on track.

--------- What to do next? ---------

I feel pretty badass for all the prep work to this point.

I already have a fully funded emergency fund. 

Also the bills during FMLA are taken care of, I've already saved up "my half" but my SO says he is planning to pay them 100% until I go back to work. 

I have no credit card debt. 

I'm sure there will be some medical expenses although I have good insurance and provided everything is normal, those costs shouldn't exceed $2k, but if they do we have (non emergency fund) savings for that.

I am planning to work until I go into labor (due date is Sep 17). Let's suppose I make it to my due date and I get my Sep 15 full paycheck what should I do with it?  Also I will get 60% of my pay for 6 weeks for short term disability, what should I do with that?

In order for me to stay on my conservative FIRE schedule I need to put the same number of $$ into  the save/invest category next year.  Should I go ahead and start next year's financial goals?  Or should I take that money and put it into the car?  Or just let it sit in checking?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:19:33 AM by RunHappy »

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
Re: Close to checking off 2015 Financial Goals
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:09:22 AM »
Wow, look at you go! And congratulations on the baby :D

If you feel like you're in good shape with savings for the costs of labor/delivery/newborn care, then I see no reason not to get started on next year's financial goals - save/invest it or keep paying down the car, but don't let it sit in checking!

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
Additional thoughts.  I was thinking about adding it to my ER fund until I go back to work, then transfer it to my save/invest category.

@aetherie  I think I have taken all the costs into account, but you never really can tell until everything is done.  Some medical emergency could pop up at the last minute.  As far as newborn care, Im 99% sure I have everything on hand.  They don't need a lot and we are stocked with diapers, bottles, clothes, blankets, etc. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
[quote Additional thoughts.  I was thinking about adding it to my ER fund until I go back to work, then transfer it to my save/invest category.
][/quote]

This ^^^

Keep it in your emergency fund until you are ready to go back to back - no telling what may happen. If you end up not needing any of it - great. I'd still bolster the emergency fund by an extra $1000 just for the baby:) and then transfer the remainder into your save/invest categories.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!