Author Topic: Carless in 2017  (Read 3329 times)

jj_k80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Carless in 2017
« on: March 20, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »
I finally bit the bullet and transitioned to bike commuting.  Got rid of my car and the sickening monthly payment that came with it.  7.8 miles Round trip to work.  Groceries and necessities within 2 miles.  Last week the temps were as low as 19f which is as cold as it gets here, so i've toughed out the worst already. 

A nice side effect is that I've lost 9 pounds already.  And I feel better overall with the consistent excercise. 

Full disclosure, we kept my wife's car which I use when I have the little one with me.

Overall couldn't be happier with the decision!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
Re: Carless in 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »
This is awesome.  Great work. Bonus on the weight loss!

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 05:49:19 AM »
Not having a car payment makes life so much easier. I participate in a living car free forum at bikeforums.Net that is full of tips and tricks for the newly indoctrinated and encouragement for those that have been at it awhile. We've been a one car household with kids for many years and I attribute my fitness and continued sanity solely to my commutes - otherwise I likely wouldn't find time for either. 😁

jj_k80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:43:30 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement nouveaRiche!  onemorebike, I will check out the site.  It is definitely making a difference in how I feel on a day to day basis.  The health aspect is huge.  The weight is dropping off and I'm not even being as careful with the diet as I was before I started riding.

merci001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »
I don't plan on getting rid of my car at this point in time. But, I did start riding my bike to work a couple of weeks ago! And today, I rode my bike to the grocery store. I usually fill my car up with gas once every payday (get paid every two weeks), but this time I had half a tank left in her at the end of the pay period!  I did splurge on a couple of new panniers to help with make it easier to bring change of clothes and my lap top to work. And I probably won't be biking in any heavy rains or super hot/humid days as my asthma is likely to flare up.  That said, I would seriously consider giving winter biking a try, may not be a daily thing but even just once a week is better than nothing. And  I don't mind the colder weather a  bit.   Granted, both my job and the grocery store are only a couple of miles from home, but all the more reason to hop on the bike, right?!   I know, for most on this site, it's probably not much to get excited about; but, as a middle aged, overweight single mom/sole provider to two teenage girls, it's my badassity and I'm claimin' it!

JohnGalt79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 04:14:28 AM »
...But, I did start riding my bike to work a couple of weeks ago! ... That said, I would seriously consider giving winter biking a try, may not be a daily thing but even just once a week is better than nothing. And  I don't mind the colder weather a  bit.   ...  I know, for most on this site, it's probably not much to get excited about; but, as a middle aged, overweight single mom/sole provider to two teenage girls, it's my badassity and I'm claimin' it!

You are awesome in my book!!

jj_k80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 07:26:29 AM »
     Merci, it's the same principle as saving money.  The 1-2 miles doesn't seem like a big deal, but at the end of the year when you've biked hundreds or thousands of miles you will feel the difference.  Anyone who says it is not a big deal while riding around in their car doesn't get a vote in my book!

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:55:45 AM »
"I know, for most on this site, it's probably not much to get excited about; but, as a middle aged, overweight single mom/sole provider to two teenage girls, it's my badassity and I'm claimin' it!"

--oh that's definitely badassity. When you're in the grocery store checking out, look around to see how many there people of any age or fitness level are packing their food up for biking home. Nearly nobody. Which makes you the exceptional badass. And sets a badass example for your kids.

All the time I've been biking instead of driving--which is most of 35 years--it's been a game to me. "Why not try to do it on a bike this one time? OK, today it's raining: if you can bike today it's like a triple letter score in Scrabble. Wanna try?" If you keep playing away in a light-hearted manner week after week, it's amazing how it adds up. And once in a while, you drive, and rediscover that it's not that great.
So now people say to me "well, you're lucky, you're fit and have savings and stuff. I can't do what you do (bike to work then retire early) 'cause I'm old and outta shape and broke. So see, I have no choice." Riiigght. 35 years of playing one day at a time. It adds up.