Author Topic: Cable company started charging for cable modem rental  (Read 4864 times)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
Cable company started charging for cable modem rental
« on: August 09, 2017, 04:53:28 PM »
I have had internet for several years with the same company.  They keep calling me to bump up the speed for $5 to $10 a month more.  I always tell them no.

The latest bill has a new $5+tax a month charge for modem rental.

Today I bought my own cable modem and replaced the one I was "renting".  It should pay for itself in 1 year 3 months.
Tomorrow I return their modem.

What will they think of next to try to bump up the bills?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Cable company started charging for cable modem rental
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »
They'll just plain raise the rate.  We've owned our modem for years, but our rate just went up $7/month "just because".

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
I have had internet for several years with the same company.  They keep calling me to bump up the speed for $5 to $10 a month more.  I always tell them no.

The latest bill has a new $5+tax a month charge for modem rental.

Today I bought my own cable modem and replaced the one I was "renting".  It should pay for itself in 1 year 3 months.
Tomorrow I return their modem.

What will they think of next to try to bump up the bills?

Some cable company exec somewhere probably has a 150ft yacht named 'rent that modem' for the idea of charging $10 a month (what a certain major cable provider charges) to rent a device that easily has a ~5 year life span and only costs about $50 (for the ISP).

After 5 months, it's pure gravy for them. Oh, and most ISPs these days try to scam you out paying them for the "honor" of providing free infrastructure for them by making your modem/router/wifi combo accessible to other ISP customers.

My previous cable modem (Moto Surfboard DOCSIS 1) lasted almost 15 years. It capped out at 30Mbit, but I never had more than 25Mbit so it was just dandy. Only now that we wanted more than 30 did we upgrade to a DOCSIS3 that caps out at something like 700Mbit and cost $70. It will probably be another 10-15 years before there is even the remotest of reasons to want more than 800Mbit for home internet.

Do not, under any circumstance, rent a modem from your ISP.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »

Do not, under any circumstance, rent a modem from your ISP.

I move every two years. Buying the modem outright has always paid for itself vs leasing after 10 months.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
I took back the modem today.  They are giving me the hard sell again to bump up my speed.  They must get a commission or something.

mudstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
We just bought a modem to stop the $10 monthly "rental" fee too.  But there was no choice to not purchase an "installation package" which was $15 for self-install, or starting at $89 for them to do it.  So I chose $15, and didn't use a single thing that came in that box.  What a rip off!  But no more rental fees, and I downgraded my internet speed at the same time.  I'm happy to add that $45/month to our Vanguard deposits. 

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »
We just bought a modem to stop the $10 monthly "rental" fee too.  But there was no choice to not purchase an "installation package" which was $15 for self-install, or starting at $89 for them to do it.  So I chose $15, and didn't use a single thing that came in that box.  What a rip off!  But no more rental fees, and I downgraded my internet speed at the same time.  I'm happy to add that $45/month to our Vanguard deposits.

Went through this a few months back with the Comcast Clown Committee. They Fedex overnighted a package of worthless junk,  and zero instructions,  as a "self-install kit". Could of been a brick,  or foam peanuts in the box, for all it mattered. I bought a modem on Amazon, plugged it in, and everything worked fine.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:39:24 PM by paddedhat »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 02:36:17 PM »
Some cable company exec somewhere probably has a 150ft yacht named 'rent that modem' for the idea of charging $10 a month (what a certain major cable provider charges) to rent a device that easily has a ~5 year life span and only costs about $50 (for the ISP).
I'd be shocked if any of the national ISPs paid anywhere close to $50 for a modem. With their volume, they must be getting them at-cost or very near.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »
I'd be shocked if any of the national ISPs paid anywhere close to $50 for a modem. With their volume, they must be getting them at-cost or very near.

Hell, consumer price for cable modems can be less than $50. Just gotta stay away from overpriced Motorola modems. I believe my current DOCSIS 3.0 modem (Zoom brand) cost $40 a few years ago at Walmart.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 06:05:12 AM »

Went through this a few months back with the Comcast Clown Committee. They Fedex overnighted a package of worthless junk,  and zero instructions,  as a "self-install kit". Could of been a brick,  or foam peanuts in the box, for all it mattered. I bought a modem on Amazon, plugged it in, and everything worked fine.

Yep, you can skip the self-install kit with Comcast too. Set up my own equipment (modem/router), called to initiate service, and done. No special start-up fee, just the $19.99/mo promo rate (after they screwed up billing 5 times). House already had cable feed though.

MsMonopolyDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 09:43:15 AM »
At 33, I'm brand new to FIRE and embarrassed by how late in the game I am. However, the forum has been a huge resource in helping me make important, tiny changes that i know will add up.

Today, I purchased a modem and router for $50 total and it will END my $10 rental fee with Xfinity.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 11:45:12 AM »

Yep, you can skip the self-install kit with Comcast too. Set up my own equipment (modem/router), called to initiate service, and done. No special start-up fee, just the $19.99/mo promo rate (after they screwed up billing 5 times). House already had cable feed though.
That's region specific though. Here in Seattle, there was a $15 connection fee for me telling them to open the internet pipes over the phone. And the promo rate is $39.

Fuck Comcast.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »
I took back the modem today.  They are giving me the hard sell again to bump up my speed.  They must get a commission or something.
Keep that reciept for return of the modem.
When you stop service you may need to prove that you returned it.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »
Keep that reciept for return of the modem.
When you stop service you may need to prove that you returned it.
I had to insist on a printed receipt.  She is like "oh it is on our system" and I am like "don't care I need a printed receipt".

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
So - I was headed down this path this weekend and it ended poorly.

I went to Costco and bought their Cable Modem option that said it was compatible with Comcast.  Who Hoo!

When I called to have them turn it on for me, they sent me to a loyalty person to discuss...odd..  Well I'm in a triple play (tv / net/ phone) - and the modem I bought didn't have a phone jack on the back.  So - if I wanted to use this modem I had to change to a double play package, which would increase my bill by $20 instead of decreasing by $10.  Epic fail. 

The modem from Costco was $90.  I looked up compatible modems with the phone option on the back, and they all cost $229 or higher.  To me, that didn't seem like a good option.  it would be almost 2 years before I break even.

Thoughts?

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »
I did this. Two months later my modem was ruined (power surge through the cable - I didn't even know that could happen. The consensus came after spending hours on the phone with the cable company and the modem manufacturer. I hate that sort of stuff, so it was painful). Consider getting a surge protector for the coax cable.

I was so annoyed I went back to renting. I'm sure I should reconsider this, though.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »

I went to Costco and bought their Cable Modem option that said it was compatible with Comcast.  Who Hoo!

When I called to have them turn it on for me, they sent me to a loyalty person to discuss...odd..  Well I'm in a triple play (tv / net/ phone) - and the modem I bought didn't have a phone jack on the back.  So - if I wanted to use this modem I had to change to a double play package, which would increase my bill by $20 instead of decreasing by $10.  Epic fail. 

The modem from Costco was $90.  I looked up compatible modems with the phone option on the back, and they all cost $229 or higher.  To me, that didn't seem like a good option.  it would be almost 2 years before I break even.

Thoughts?

Shop around more. Here's a $140 eMTA cable modem (comcast internet and voice supported)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/5839004.p?skuId=5839004

You can also see if you can find a eMTA adapter that you can just plug into your existing router. VOIP adapters exist, but I'm not sure about eMTA. Don't rent one from comcast though =)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:42:48 AM by MilesTeg »

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »
Another thing to avoid: Combination devices (modem+router). Always, always buy discrete modems and routers. Why?

1.) You'll have a larger selection of routers, for cheaper prices.
2.) It's cheaper to upgrade your router/wifi when better protocols come out if it's a discrete device
3.) Changing your home internet (i.e. from cable to dsl or other or visa versa) won't require buying/setting up a new router.
4.) Changing your modem (i.e. to get voice service) won't require buying/setting up a new router.
5.) More flexibility in where you place your router (important for wifi signal)
6.) Discrete devices typically perform better and last longer.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:44:14 AM by MilesTeg »

DaveSch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
Hi everyone,
In late 2011 I bought my own cable box to replace the one Time Warner Cable (now called Rectum) had provided me nearly 10 years ago. I took it back and the monthly rental charge went away. Nearly a year later I purchase another modem, the same model. This is my spare.

Last year I had a failure. It was the power supply. I reached in my drawer and grabbed the spare power supply and I was running again. I found this power supply being offered by a seller on eBay so I bought a spare.

My savings has been much higher than the cost of the two modems.

Over two years ago, I found out that I could get my cable tv on a Roku box connected to my internet connection. I tried it and it worked well. Soon after, I took my cable box and digital box back to them. The savings in the couple years have paid for all my Roku boxes!

I have equipment that  I like better too.

My next step is to get rid of the cable tv portion. I already have my UHF aerial installed and pointed.

That is my little story.
Dave

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »

Thoughts?

Was "keep my phone service active even if my hardware doesn't support it anymore" not an option?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!