Author Topic: Bread Proofer  (Read 2914 times)

Chadbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bread Proofer
« on: May 07, 2018, 09:19:45 PM »
My wife is trying to make a sourdough starter and our temps in the house only get up to 70 during the day (set to 67, but afternoon sun gets us a little warmer). She tried multiple methods to regulate the temp, but none was working. What she wanted costs $200+
Folding Bread Proofer and Yogurt Maker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FCZMU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vwr8Ab97X4TX7
So we looked at YouTube and I made this:

For less than $30.  I only had to purchase a cheap trouble light and a thermostat, everything else was scrounged from around the house, I put a blanket over it to insulate it. So far so good

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
Re: Bread Proofer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:25:50 PM »
Badass.  I love seeing solutions like this.

Let us know how it works out!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 06:03:37 PM »
How warm does it get?  What wattage bulb are you using?

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
That is amazing!  I'm sending the video to my husband, our resident break makers.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
Should have powered that light bulb with a lemon battery from grocery discounts in the other thread

Chadbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 12:38:33 PM »
Should have powered that light bulb with a lemon battery from grocery discounts in the other thread

I wish, produce is expensive in alaska, so lemons get eaten in our household.

Chadbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »

Yummy!

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
Nice job! That looks great.
You're motivating me to try making bread again... it's been a while.

Chadbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
My wife is the baker, she also made a pizza dough and sourdough waffles. She can’t have regular yeast, so we are hoping the wild yeast in sourdough will be ok for her. She had a little issue with the bread affecting her today, but not the joint pain that she gets from regular yeast

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 05:22:36 AM »
Hmm looks interesting.

Over the (southern) summer I was using a massive bowl with hot water and an upside down plastic container in the bottom, bread tin on top of the container, then reused baking paper and towels on top covering everything to proof my dough. But now the weather is cooling down and the house sits at 55f in the morning it isn't warm enough to get things going. Might have to consider a set up like this. Or warm the house more...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
The problem that we have in winter is that it's very dry and very cold in our house.  I've had great results heating a large glass of water to almost boiling in the microwave, then putting the dough in there with the glass to proof.

crimwell

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 10:12:29 PM »
The problem that we have in winter is that it's very dry and very cold in our house.  I've had great results heating a large glass of water to almost boiling in the microwave, then putting the dough in there with the glass to proof.

We usually do this anyway, regardless of the fact that we are in a hot desert and the house is rarely cold

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!