Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 404065 times)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #850 on: September 22, 2020, 09:50:39 PM »
Not sure if I can call it overly old, but the other week I picked up a 2002 Holden Barina with 111,000km for $3000.

It's got plenty of space for the driver for a small hatchback, and the 1.4L engine has plenty of go.

Let's see how long it lasts :)

I've got a photo of the odo at 111111 as well :)

Still running well at 146000km (91000 miles). The first service was expensive (timing belt), and I had to replace the pedal box a couple of years ago as something bent when I pressed the clutch, but aside from that it’s been fine.

Should be good for a while yet, but I wonder if I should sell it in a year or two while it’s still got some value left in it and buy something a few years newer. Waiting for the third gen Prius to get cheap enough, but I may not drive enough to justify it :)

Currently at 159000km. I spent about $1500 back in May to replace the clutch.

There's a bit of an issue where the heater doesn't work all that well and I think it's losing a bit of coolant. I'm hoping it's not a leaky head gasket, but the temp gauge is fine so probably not. My guess is that the radiator has sprung a leak.

The plan is to replace it in 6-12 months (after I move), probably with a second gen Prius (the city fuel economy is appealing). I'm getting over driving a manual transmission in traffic. It'll be due for a timing belt at 180000km, and I plan on being rid of it well before then.

Now at 171000km, hasn't been driven all that far lately thanks to COVID, maybe 500-600km in total since early July?

Replacing the radiator didn't fix the coolant leak, and I think the other leak is from the waterpump. I'm ready to move it on, but used cars are really expensive at the moment, so I'll keep it running a little while longer.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #851 on: September 23, 2020, 06:43:38 AM »
The DH's 2004 Acura wouldn't start last week.  First time ever.  Turns out it still had the original spark plugs.  Our DD is learning to drive on it so it is getting a lot more turning on and not going very long while she learns how to start a manual and get moving. 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: September 23, 2020, 07:06:40 PM »
I've had my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid for ten years now (bought new, yeah, I know). It has 88,000 miles on it now and it's still going strong. I put 18,000 miles on it in the first year when I had a clown commute, but I've averaged about 7500 miles a year with it since then. It's impossible for me to bike to work, because it's 16 miles all highway each way and I got the job after I bought my house. Recently, I had to do the first real repairs on the car. Had a problem with a valve in the evaporative system that was stuck open and needed to be replaced. Also needed to replace the rear shocks and a blind spot system module on the right side of the car. Other than that, it's been a trouble-free car. Hoping to keep it at least another ten years if not more.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #853 on: September 23, 2020, 08:18:46 PM »
DW heads up a homeschooling co-op in our area.  I'm currently teaching the teenagers some basic car maintenance stuff.  Last week, our two vehicles, which between them have over 425,000 miles, got oil changes, performed by teenagers who had never done anything like that before! :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #854 on: October 19, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »
DW heads up a homeschooling co-op in our area.  I'm currently teaching the teenagers some basic car maintenance stuff.  Last week, our two vehicles, which between them have over 425,000 miles, got oil changes, performed by teenagers who had never done anything like that before! :)

That is great. Hands on is the best way to learn!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #855 on: October 19, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »
I'm replacing suspension bushings on my MR2 with....maybe 265k miles? The speedometer was broken for a while, so I don't really know how many miles are on it. The front ball joints are looser than I'd like so I'm going to replace those too.

Nash3222

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #856 on: November 02, 2020, 10:35:25 AM »
Most of my co-workers love to talk about buying new or very fancy cars.  Have had many poke fun at me as the poorest guy they know.  As moustachians I thought we could maybe use this thread to brag on our high-mileage cars (since no one else will ever envy them!). 

Me:
I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna with 215k miles as our family car.  Still running strong and we did a cross-country trip 2 years ago from coast to coast and back (my job paid for the trip which was a vacation for my family!!).  Only major repair has been the AC compressor.

For my farm truck (and what I use to haul building materials when building my house) I have a 2001 Ford F-350 with 260k miles.  Bought used in 2008 for $7k and kbb is more than that even now...  Bad mpg but I only use it for hauling and towing (very good money-maker).  Wouldn't recommend it from a MMM perspective due to somewhat poor reliability but a steady diet of parts keeps it running!

2012 Honda Accord.  on track for 110K miles and is just as tight as the day I bought it. Regular maintenance: Oil brakes, etc I do my self.
Car has ANOTHER 150K in it, does not burn oil, does not leak oil.     
I used to buy american cars, always took good care of them. Every american care I owned, would get 80-90k miles on them and something major would always go wrong: Head gasket, trans, etc and the all leaked oil .    NO more,  Honda's only for me. 

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #857 on: November 02, 2020, 03:00:40 PM »
So, our beloved 2005 Honda Pilot that I’ve commented about above hit 200K miles this past Friday. Best car ever, don’t think I’m ever going to let her go.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #858 on: November 09, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
Though my new ski-town roommates are heckling me for it, I just bought a new set of winter tires for my 2011 Civic with 97K miles, instead of replacing it with an SUV or a crossover. Used Subarus with 100K+ miles still go for over $10K here! And from everything I've read, tires are much more important than anything else for winter driving. If there are ever 6 inches of unplowed snow on the roads, I don't think I'd want to be driving on it in anything.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #859 on: November 09, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »
Though my new ski-town roommates are heckling me for it, I just bought a new set of winter tires for my 2011 Civic with 97K miles, instead of replacing it with an SUV or a crossover. Used Subarus with 100K+ miles still go for over $10K here! And from everything I've read, tires are much more important than anything else for winter driving. If there are ever 6 inches of unplowed snow on the roads, I don't think I'd want to be driving on it in anything.

Good snow tires will make nearly any FWD or AWD car practically unstoppable in any typical snow situation.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #860 on: November 09, 2020, 12:15:42 PM »

Good snow tires will make nearly any FWD or AWD car practically unstoppable in any typical snow situation.

Yeah, the only reason I briefly entertained replacing my (perfect condition) old car is the extra couple inches of clearance you get with a bigger car. But.... again, I'm not trying to offroad in the snow if I can avoid it, LOL.

highflyingstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #861 on: November 09, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »
I dunno guys, I think I win; not for my planning, but thanks to fate.

Bought a Honda Fit, base model (no air, no power locks, unfortunately and not terribly a lot of fun!) but it's stable, it's simple, and it'll never die! $9500, when it was assessed approximately $13,500. That was November 2018.

Fast forward to July 2020, we saw a typical hail storm for the area; alas finally after 6 years of living here, my car finally got hit. Great news though, unlike other vehicles or other storms this produced the most consistent small hail in years. Since the car is a uni-body design including roof, there was no point in repairing things, so it was a full write off to the tune of $7000. After some negotiation, that became $8300.

My $1200 car now has 53K Miles on it, and has a few golf ball dimples in the hood and roof. Barely noticeable, hasn't harmed the paint and (so to the work of Spalding's golf ball design) supposedly is a faster car for it. It's going to drive for many many years to come...

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #862 on: November 09, 2020, 02:15:04 PM »
I have a Fit too. I find mine ridiculously fun to drive, unbelievably capacious, comfortable, and frugal as hell. Mine's a '12 base model (we previously had an '07 sport but the powertrain is the same so all it gets you is bigger tires and a spoiler).

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #863 on: November 09, 2020, 04:01:30 PM »

I used to drive my Honda S2000 with a set of Dunlop WinterSport tires. Never a problem in your average snowstorm, and it was fun to cruise down the highway with the roof down, the heat cranked, and snow flying over the windshield.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #864 on: November 11, 2020, 09:01:28 AM »
2012 Honda Accord 108,562 miles.  100% problem free.  Bought it new exactly 9 years ago today, Veterans Day 2011.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #865 on: November 21, 2020, 10:17:36 AM »
Been driving a 1997 Subaru Outback Sport with ~170k on the odometer since we returned to the USA in October. Neat little car. It needs some work, but it cost us almost nothing.......#stealthwealth.

valsecito

• Stubble
« Reply #866 on: November 24, 2020, 02:40:13 PM »
(Not strictly a super old or high mileage car, but I do think the story fits here....)

My retired parents were in the market for a new car. They knew the make, model and specs they wanted and got a quote from a dealership. Luckily, they had also grown a habit of always asking me to check before committing to big ticket purchases. A few emails later, I had saved them 5000€ and gotten them five years of 0% financing.

I could most probably have gotten them an even better deal, but they were happy with that, very much so. I usually go without a car, but they gave me their old one. 13 years old, 300000km and low fuel consumption. Super useful for work on our summer cottage, and now again for avoiding public transport during the covid19 pandemic.

It looks like it still has a few years of useful life in it. Once this pandemic is over, we'll park it at friends near the airport. That'll save us time and money getting to our cottage for shorter getaways.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #867 on: December 16, 2020, 06:09:36 AM »
Not sure if I can call it overly old, but the other week I picked up a 2002 Holden Barina with 111,000km for $3000.

It's got plenty of space for the driver for a small hatchback, and the 1.4L engine has plenty of go.

Let's see how long it lasts :)

I've got a photo of the odo at 111111 as well :)

Now at 171000km, hasn't been driven all that far lately thanks to COVID, maybe 500-600km in total since early July?

Replacing the radiator didn't fix the coolant leak, and I think the other leak is from the waterpump. I'm ready to move it on, but used cars are really expensive at the moment, so I'll keep it running a little while longer.

As of tomorrow I'll have owned it six years. Currently at 174,000km. Considering I spent $3K on the car and have had a couple of $1000-1500 trips to the mechanic in that time, it's been a pretty good deal.

It's actually about to be sold in the new year as there's a few things that need to be done, and I've been offered a 2004 Ford Falcon (with just 118,000km) through family. It's got the automatic transmission and cruise control that I was after, but it's quite a bit larger (harder to park) and uses about 50% more fuel.

My thinking is that another $10-15 a week on fuel is much cheaper than a car payment. Since the last service was March 2018, it's about to get an oil change and transmission fluid change (along with a bunch of filters and spark plugs), and a couple of things I need to do for roadworthy. Just put new tyres on it today, and gave it a good clean over the weekend.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 06:22:37 AM by alsoknownasDean »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #868 on: December 16, 2020, 06:33:47 AM »
But those aren't the only two options right? You could get a cheap car with fuel efficiency, auto trans, and cruise control...

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #869 on: December 16, 2020, 07:11:11 AM »
But those aren't the only two options right? You could get a cheap car with fuel efficiency, auto trans, and cruise control...

Not in the current used market. Prices are way up due to COVID, especially for small automatics. I was actually seriously considering biting the bullet and buying new/near new.

Besides, I don't drive a huge amount per year, and this car is a known quantity as it's been in the family since new.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 07:14:19 AM by alsoknownasDean »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #870 on: December 16, 2020, 08:29:25 AM »
but $10-15/week is a lot of money - $500-800/year of gas, $2500-4000 over five years

koziknight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #871 on: December 16, 2020, 12:48:57 PM »
My Ford Fusion, which is so stinking fun to drive, is 9.5 years and just over 224,000 miles.

Decibel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #872 on: January 11, 2021, 05:32:32 PM »
1996 Suzuki Sierra 470000 km.....

FIreSurfer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #873 on: January 11, 2021, 11:58:57 PM »
1994 BMW Station Wagon with 210k miles - bought off a neighbor for $2500 a few years back - I live in LA and I can help but smirk at all the people I know who have expensive leased Audis and Jeeps that just sit in front of their houses now through Covid Lockdown, sucking hundreds of dollars from their bank account every month....

Lomonossov

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Nihil Obstat
« Reply #874 on: January 13, 2021, 03:10:47 AM »
I have a 18 year old Mazda 6 (do they sell those in US?). It has served me pretty well since I bought it in cash 6 years ago for 3.5k EUR. I do use it for three things only: weekly groceries, monthly visit to in-laws and one road trip per year. That's why despite the age its mileage is only 175k km.

I do have a question to the MMM community though. The car is starting to have some very light rust in the fenders. Here in Poland is common due to the common use of salt on the roads during the winters. The question is: is it worth it to repair it? Do you have any experience with that, or any idea if it can be solved at all? Given the use we give to the car I would like to stretch the life of our beloved machine for as long as possible, but it would be one of those situations where I would be probably putting more money in the car than its market value. Still, if it gives me another 4 - 5 years of transportation at a very reasonable price.

Thanks a lot for your input.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #875 on: January 13, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »
I have a 18 year old Mazda 6 (do they sell those in US?). It has served me pretty well since I bought it in cash 6 years ago for 3.5k EUR. I do use it for three things only: weekly groceries, monthly visit to in-laws and one road trip per year. That's why despite the age its mileage is only 175k km.

I do have a question to the MMM community though. The car is starting to have some very light rust in the fenders. Here in Poland is common due to the common use of salt on the roads during the winters. The question is: is it worth it to repair it? Do you have any experience with that, or any idea if it can be solved at all? Given the use we give to the car I would like to stretch the life of our beloved machine for as long as possible, but it would be one of those situations where I would be probably putting more money in the car than its market value. Still, if it gives me another 4 - 5 years of transportation at a very reasonable price.

Thanks a lot for your input.

You can get them in Canada, I assume the US.

For a while there was a massive problem with the Mazda 3 in Canada, they rusted like crazy I guess due to poor paint composition (and of course the literal truckloads of salt on the roads - at least where I was).

From what I've heard the only way to really deal with rust is to cut out the rusty metal and put new in. I think it will cost you more than the car is worth to do it properly (and even 'properly' isn't usually good for that long). Just keep it clean and dry, as much as you can. Drive it til it doesn't pass whatever safety inspections you have there.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #876 on: January 13, 2021, 08:58:29 AM »
For a car of that age, it's probably not worth doing body work. If the rust is just starting to show, you can spray it with rust converter, then paint over that.  For something extra durable, maybe pickup bed liner? :P

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #877 on: January 13, 2021, 02:49:25 PM »
Don’t have a truck, but spot someone giving away a free 300+lb safe on marketplace and all you have to pick it up with is a tiny 2-door Japanese sub-compact?  No problem.  In fact, easier than a pick up truck, only had to lever it up about 8” to slide in into where the passenger seat used to be

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #878 on: March 04, 2021, 03:23:18 PM »
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
185,000 miles
22 MPG
Dirt cheap and easy to fix when things break (they rarely do)
Purchased in 2014 for $8,000, worth about the same today, primarily because SoCal loves Jeeps

Also

2004 Honda Odyssey
150,000 miles
27 MPG
Leaking like a sieve from every orifice...more work than it's worth, and hoping to sell in the next couple of years.
Purchased this past summer for $4,200

When we move again in about a year and a half, I'm putting my foot down when it comes to commuting. Pulling my bike back out for trips to/from work. The Jeep will become solely a toy for family fun on weekends.

Jeep now has 205k miles on it and needs an engine rebuild. It's starting to get more difficult to find parts since it rolled off the line in 1998. I figure if I can get at least five more years after this rebuild, I'll hopefully be at $500k net worth and can justify spending a little more on a more modern vehicle. It would be really nice to not have stuff wearing out so often. In two years, my car will be old enough to rent a car.

We sold the Honda last summer for $2200 (depreciation worked out to about $40/month) and bought a 2012 Toyota Sienna for $8200 with 160k miles on it. So far, it's a much more reliable and solidly built car than the Honda. Will likely keep for 5-10 years, assuming it doesn't start stranding my wife and kids places like the Honda did. I can handle doing repairs, but she needs something she can rely on completely.

PCS'd to Texas and my commute became exactly zero miles for the past two years. Looking ahead at our next move next year and trying to get into a neighborhood that will be 1.5 miles from work (biking distance).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 03:26:11 PM by ontheheel »

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #879 on: March 04, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »
Our 2010 Prius that we bought in 2016 now has 146K miles. In the very cold winter months the gas mileage dips down into the high 30 mpg range. Now that it's getting a little warmer, we're up above 40 mpg again. When it's warm enough to turn the butt warmers off, then we're up in the 46-50 mpg range. Not bad for a 10+ year old high-mileage car.

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #880 on: March 17, 2021, 05:27:59 PM »
I drive a 2013 VW Golf with 88,000 km.  When we purchased this vehicle we planned to own it for 10 years then reassess.  But then something happened last month....I accepted a position at a group of car dealerships.  I will soon be getting rid of the VW hatchback for an SUV from my new employer.

On the one hand the position comes with a $50,000 increase in base salary which will allow me to retire earlier.  On the other hand everything else about working for dealerships is anti-mustachian.  Do I deserve a face punch, or do my retirement goals trump anti car culture concerns?

Update - after a successful first year of employment I was given an employer provided vehicle. The taxable benefit I receive is minimal, which I consider Mustachian. However, I don’t get to choose the vehicle I drive, and they currently have me in a GMC Sierra with a 6.2 litre V8 (very un-mustachian).

I justify this all because I’m earning and saving more than I did before, but I feel a little guilty sometimes driving around town in one of the least mustachian vehicles ever made!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #881 on: March 22, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »
18 years ago, a couple months before DW and I got married, we bought a 1995 Corolla with 87,000 miles.  At the time, I said "I want my kids to learn how to drive in this car."

That day has come to pass: 151,000 miles later, my oldest kid is learning to drive in that silvery-brown-but-slowly-turning-to-rust beauty.  We recently replaced the (original!) shocks on all four corners, after one of them got water inside and froze over the winter :)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #882 on: March 26, 2021, 12:17:09 AM »
The old car is now gone, had 174500km on it, and this week sold it to my mechanic for $500. It needed a fair bit of work and I wasn't prepared to spend the cash on it.

The newer car is at 122,000km (it's a 2004 Ford Falcon, with the 4.0L Barra inline six and an automatic transmission, on petrol). Fuel economy hasn't been brilliant, but it's in great mechanical condition and should be reliable. I inherited the car but ended up putting $1300 into it by the time it passed it's roadworthy inspection to transfer into my name (a full set of tyres, a full service as it hadn't had one for three years, a bunch of filters/etc ordered online, and the inspection itself). I've got a set of spark plugs and a bottle of transmission fluid sitting in the garage for when the car needs those.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:24:21 AM by alsoknownasDean »

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #883 on: March 26, 2021, 11:53:29 AM »
My Jeep has had a misfire in cylinder 1 and 2 since June, with the check engine light staying on and rendering it unable to pass state inspection. The misfire was due to low compression in those two cylinders, and likely from worn cylinder walls and/or rings/seals, as verified by wet compression test (not a valve issue). I put a bottle of Engine Restore in my oil late last summer, and started to see the CEL disappear occasionally, but not long enough to pass inspection. Thankfully, because of the pandemic, the rules were relaxed and I had some time to save up for an engine rebuild.

Well, two weeks ago, my CEL turned off, I cleared the stored codes, and it hasn't turned back on. This morning, I took it to the local Firestone and it passed inspection!! I saw an immediate compression increase with Engine Restore (as verified by my compression gauge), but the full effects took about six months to materialize (I'm not driving much). A $12 bottle of goop saved me a $6,000 engine rebuild. I almost gave the inspection tech a hug in the parking lot, I was so happy.

If you've got an older engine that has lost some compression over time, it's definitely worth a shot to use Engine Restore. However, if you've got a newer engine or a more complicated one, DO NOT use it. VVT, turbocharged/direct injection, etc requires extremely light oil weights to pass through tiny ports, and this will plug them up and kill your engine. My engine is a 1999 4.0, single cam, pushrod I6 that was originally based on a tractor engine from the 60's, and takes 10w-30 oil.

Today is an awesome day. It's like getting another stimulus check, except we saved for it and it's already sitting in the bank in cash just waiting to be invested.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #884 on: April 08, 2021, 02:03:45 PM »
Most of my co-workers love to talk about buying new or very fancy cars.  Have had many poke fun at me as the poorest guy they know.  As moustachians I thought we could maybe use this thread to brag on our high-mileage cars (since no one else will ever envy them!). 

Me:
I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna with 215k miles as our family car.  Still running strong and we did a cross-country trip 2 years ago from coast to coast and back (my job paid for the trip which was a vacation for my family!!).  Only major repair has been the AC compressor.

For my farm truck (and what I use to haul building materials when building my house) I have a 2001 Ford F-350 with 260k miles.  Bought used in 2008 for $7k and kbb is more than that even now...  Bad mpg but I only use it for hauling and towing (very good money-maker).  Wouldn't recommend it from a MMM perspective due to somewhat poor reliability but a steady diet of parts keeps it running!

2012 Honda Accord.  on track for 110K miles and is just as tight as the day I bought it. Regular maintenance: Oil brakes, etc I do my self.
Car has ANOTHER 150K in it, does not burn oil, does not leak oil.     
I used to buy american cars, always took good care of them. Every american care I owned, would get 80-90k miles on them and something major would always go wrong: Head gasket, trans, etc and the all leaked oil .    NO more,  Honda's only for me.
I also have a 2012 Honda Accord that I bought new.  Just hit 111k miles this past weekend.  Also 100% problem free.  It's pretty amazing.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: April 08, 2021, 03:26:05 PM »
My 2005 Honda Pilot that I bought new in March 2005 continues to run like a champ. Approaching 203K miles and we still couldn’t be happier with it.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #886 on: April 08, 2021, 04:48:54 PM »
I am going to have to bow out of the bragging on this thread....

My 2007 Honda Ridgeline is going to be sold with 250,000 miles on it

Amazing how low the depreciation per mile is going to be on this, paid $23,500 new in April of 2007 and 14 years later I'm probably going to get $5,000 for it.

Good truck, a little oil leak I can't figure out and that's about it.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #887 on: April 08, 2021, 06:47:27 PM »
2010 Toyota CX7 was the only car we ever bought new. It has 278,000km on it and our son wants to buy it off us as his first car!

crowinghen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #888 on: April 09, 2021, 08:40:58 PM »
Hubby's daily driver is a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. I drove a1998  Honda odyssey for 224k miles after it was "totalled" after being hit by a teenage driver. I sold it to a friend for the price of it's new tires, and he drove it for 20k more miles then when reverse went out he  took the tires off and put them on his newer car. Donated it to the vocational school's mechanic program.
Loved that car!!

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #889 on: April 11, 2021, 05:03:01 PM »
Should be disqualified if your vehicle is not well maintained. That means needs to not be rusted out, not have leaks, and be in safe working order in all mechanical areas including factory safety systems.

Too many people driving rusted out jalopies on bald, 12 year old tires with no brake pads left, ball joints one pothole from catastrophic failure and making the Exxon Valdez look like a Sierra Club commercial on good environmental stewardship.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:04:31 AM by MilesTeg »

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
  • Spend less. Live more. SWAMI.
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #890 on: April 20, 2021, 07:57:32 AM »
Should he disqualified if your vehicle is not well maintained. That means needs to not be rusted out, not have leaks, and be in safe working order in all mechanical areas including factory safety systems.

Too many people driving rusted out jalopies on bald, 12 year old tires with no brake pads left, ball joints one pothole from catastrophic failure and making the Exxon Valdez look like a Sierra Club commercial on good environmental stewardship.

Lmao, good point.

Just over 210k on my '08 Rolla, still going stronk. New set of tires last year and fresh oil often.

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #891 on: April 21, 2021, 08:13:38 PM »
So I have an old Jetta 2006 and still going strong with about 170km.  Hardly a lot for this forum I know.  I thinking about getting a newer car sometimes (in a moment of weakness), but I really don't know what I'd get.  None of the new cars actually interest me, too big, too expensive.  I keep trying to find a used Toyota Tacoma (early 2000's), Honda Element, or even a good deal on a used Prius.  Maybe I'm weird, but I'd rather buy one of those cars, spend a bit of money on any repairs/updates/paint, and drive them for the next 10 years.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #892 on: April 22, 2021, 09:09:20 AM »

Yeah, the only reason I briefly entertained replacing my (perfect condition) old car is the extra couple inches of clearance you get with a bigger car. But.... again, I'm not trying to offroad in the snow if I can avoid it, LOL.

Around here it's fine to drive a lowered car all year round.  They've gotten so tight with the safety stuff that they close the road s now (called a level 3 snow emergency) if we get as little as 4" of snow.  Back in the old days I'd be scraping bottom on even full height cars battling to get to work in the Winter.  Now they usually have perfect roads after all but the biggest storms, and in that case they close us down anyways...  The Winter tires are helpful if you hit icy patches, but deep snow just isn't a concern at all anymore.

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #893 on: May 07, 2021, 04:43:38 AM »
2009 honda odyssey bought in 2018 at 145k miles, now at 185k miles.

Hope to see 200k miles on it, working fine for now.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #894 on: June 20, 2021, 10:09:06 AM »
So I have an old Jetta 2006 and still going strong with about 170km.  Hardly a lot for this forum I know.  I thinking about getting a newer car sometimes (in a moment of weakness), but I really don't know what I'd get.  None of the new cars actually interest me, too big, too expensive.  I keep trying to find a used Toyota Tacoma (early 2000's), Honda Element, or even a good deal on a used Prius.  Maybe I'm weird, but I'd rather buy one of those cars, spend a bit of money on any repairs/updates/paint, and drive them for the next 10 years.

Do you rustproof it?

Get a Mazda MX-5/Miata :)

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #895 on: June 20, 2021, 02:10:31 PM »
Tragedy for my 2003 Toyota Matrix.  Got into an accident a few days ago (not my fault).  The insurance company has decided it’s a write off, since they put the value at just over 4K.  But I’m possibly going to argue that once I get the Gold Book value from the local automobile association tomorrow, since it’s in great shape with only 146,000 kilometres.  Regardless, I still plan to buy it back, even if it costs me a few grand more than is sensible because I love my car and know it’s history.  And I can afford to do it.  That’s what money is for, right?

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #896 on: June 23, 2021, 09:13:16 PM »
Our one car household is at 198k. 2009 Toyota Matrix.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #897 on: June 23, 2021, 09:25:10 PM »
I have a 2008 Toyota Corolla with 61k miles. I am the third old lady to own it. No repairs other than routine maintenance and brakes.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #898 on: June 24, 2021, 07:39:04 AM »
I have a 2008 Toyota Corolla with 61k miles. I am the third old lady to own it. No repairs other than routine maintenance and brakes.
FWIW, brakes *are* part of routine maintenance.

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #899 on: June 24, 2021, 09:22:03 AM »
2004 Toyota Corolla.  Just passed 250k miles!  First repair I had to make other than routine maintenance was replacing the Catalytic Converter a couple of years ago.  Last month the transmission cable broke so I had to make the call to pay for that repair (plus a few other things) or just call it a day.  Made the repairs, and hoping for another 50k miles!