Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 404112 times)

birdman2003

• Bristles
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #650 on: August 21, 2018, 07:14:32 AM »
My 2006 Prius died this month at 320,000 miles!

Sorry to hear that Slow&Steady.  What will you get for your teen driver now?

In other news my 2004 Acura TL just crossed the 299,000 mark yesterday. 

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #651 on: August 21, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
My 2006 Prius died this month at 320,000 miles!

Sorry to hear that Slow&Steady.  What will you get for your teen driver now?

We got a 98 Ford Ranger ($500), no clue how many miles.  Told him that it is his job to learn how to drive a stick (hopefully requiring him to pay more attention) and to fix the multitude of little things that were wrong with it.  He has done a somewhat decent job of figuring how to drive the manual transmission but is really struggling with getting the taillights re-wired so that they work properly. I am hoping that making him invest some time into the truck and requiring him to pay more attention while driving (manual), plus the drivers ed that I made him re-take will help him "have some skin in the game" and drive more carefully.   

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #652 on: August 21, 2018, 08:08:01 AM »
The 2006 Sonata we have just hit 80k miles! The other car is a 2018 Civic... but we intend to have that for 30 years.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #653 on: August 21, 2018, 11:36:52 AM »
I live in an 83 motorhome if that counts, and my DD is an 86 Toyota 4runner with 200K!  Unfortunately it currently has the engine out and I'm rebuilding the bottom end and putting a new head on it.  In the meantime Im driving the 2000 jeep Wrangler with 150k until the truck is fixed, then I'll sell it.  Unfortunately, the jeep currently needs a starter...

Due to that laundry list of issues, my wife is daily driving a 2018 Honda fit we just bought new.  She's putting 500miles/week on it, and we will drive it until it won't drive any more.  It was some calculated mustachian grey area.

Unfortunately, the truck is unmustachian in that it can't be driven on the salt, so i might have to supplement with a beater i can find for a couple grand this winter

sixkids

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #654 on: August 21, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »
My daily driver is a 2007 Lincoln Town Car.  Former airport shuttle car that I traded a used lawn mower for.  In the six months I've owned it, I have had to replace the starter and a squealing serpentine belt and tensioner.  Starter failed, belt just squealed and annoyed me.  $150 total cost for all of it, and I did the repairs myself in my driveway.  It's sitting at 368,000 miles now and runs like a brand new car, while giving me the ride of a Lincoln.  This coming from a guy that had a brand new car before I became more mustachian to the tune of $482.76 per month (but who's keeping track?). 

Schmidty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #655 on: August 22, 2018, 05:47:37 AM »
The hubby drives a '95 Chevy 1/2 ton with over 300k miles, it's his daily driver and work horse for stuff needing to haul and work around the new land, he can fix everything on it.  I have an '06 Grand Caravan about to turn over 200k that is used mainly for occasional trips to town and the rare trip out of town, plus can haul and amazing amount of stuff in inclement weather.  Neither of these vehicles cost over $1600 cash.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #656 on: August 25, 2018, 07:31:34 PM »
My GX470 turned 198k today!

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #657 on: August 25, 2018, 07:50:10 PM »
My Vanagon has over 305K on the odo.  Original engine as far as I know, but I've only had it about 4 or 5 years.  I use it for work and for family trips etc.  There's nothing else on the market like it, seats 7 or 2 + 1 ton of materials and tools (I'm a contractor and designer).  It's old enough that you don't need special computers to fix it, and new enough that the body is relatively safe, despite no airbags.  I do my own work on it which is good and bad.  There are a few places that specialize in parts.

What year is your Vanagon, I assume it's the original air cooled engine.  I love those vans, I'd like to find one with a blown engine and put in a Subaru replacement to help with performance, reliability and mileage.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #658 on: September 03, 2018, 07:59:14 PM »
My husband uses a 1988 Cutlass Cierra as his "farm car". It has over 250,000 miles on it. It runs like a champ! Though we also have farm truck, it doesn't get the gas mileage as the car. We live on a rock road and it's pointless to run for parts with a gas hog truck.

He was stopped by law enforcement on the way to the John Deere store a few years back because it looked "like a drug car". He politely told the officer he was running for tractor parts. The officer was rather sheepish.

One time I drove the car to the school that I taught at in 2005. (By then the car was 17 years old.) A student said loudly in class, "Hey Ms. K! I heard your car and then I saw it!" I laughed with him and said "Our plan is to pay for college for three kids and retire with money in the bank!" The class looked at me quizzically.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #659 on: September 05, 2018, 07:02:14 AM »
My story is not so much high mileage as low cost to drive.
In 2007 we bought a 97 Lexus for $4,000, friend was trading it in
and was offered $4,000, we said we would buy it for that price.
 We drove it many years then my son went to college and he took it
and drove several more.
In 2018 it had 217,000 mile on it, we decided to sell it.
We got $2,900 in the sale.
$1,100 difference in 11 years is $100 a year!
And, it was a nice car!

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #660 on: September 05, 2018, 07:22:24 AM »
Hit 300,000 miles on the 2004 Acura TL yesterday.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #661 on: September 06, 2018, 11:03:42 AM »
My husband uses a 1988 Cutlass Cierra as his "farm car". It has over 250,000 miles on it. It runs like a champ! Though we also have farm truck, it doesn't get the gas mileage as the car. We live on a rock road and it's pointless to run for parts with a gas hog truck.

He was stopped by law enforcement on the way to the John Deere store a few years back because it looked "like a drug car". He politely told the officer he was running for tractor parts. The officer was rather sheepish.

One time I drove the car to the school that I taught at in 2005. (By then the car was 17 years old.) A student said loudly in class, "Hey Ms. K! I heard your car and then I saw it!" I laughed with him and said "Our plan is to pay for college for three kids and retire with money in the bank!" The class looked at me quizzically.

Oh 1988 Cutlass Ciera! Mine was white with dark blue interior and 3.8L v6. It was my first car in college, then my commuter car for my first job (~25 miles one way to work). My family and I drove that car all over Eastern side of the US. I taught my wife and cousin how to drive in that car.

I drove it from ~40K until ~220K miles. I kept all of the maintenance in top shape, except that it developed intermittent electrical problem. I spent almost a year trying to figure out it out, finally donate it to a charity as junk car.

I stayed away from home on the day that the tow truck came and took it away...

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #662 on: September 06, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »

Badass! I hope to get 300K on my Toyota Prius one day. It's at 215 right now, so I'm over 70% of the way there.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #663 on: September 06, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »
Rats, I forgot to take a picture when my odometer hit 222,222 a week or two ago.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #664 on: September 06, 2018, 01:08:28 PM »

My hubs is driving this model.  Much lower mileage on his though - 240,000 Kilometers.  He bought it used in 2007.  It was red - now it is kind of pink.  My brothers make the odd comment and his retort is "at least it isn't rusty orange"  His goal is to get to 20 years on the road.  At the rate that he adds mileage - it is very likely from your evidence this is completely doable.

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #665 on: September 18, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »
Badass! I hope to get 300K on my Toyota Prius one day. It's at 215 right now, so I'm over 70% of the way there.

Thanks MM - I'm looking at either a Prius or Volt as a replacement for this one when she dies.

My hubs is driving this model.  Much lower mileage on his though - 240,000 Kilometers.  He bought it used in 2007.  It was red - now it is kind of pink.  My brothers make the odd comment and his retort is "at least it isn't rusty orange"  His goal is to get to 20 years on the road.  At the rate that he adds mileage - it is very likely from your evidence this is completely doable.

Yes, tell your husband that it's definitely doable.  I bought mine used in 2010, and it has served me well these past 8 years.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: September 18, 2018, 04:36:52 PM »
Only 10 years old (2008 Honda Fit) and unimpressive mileage compared to most here but my brag is that I gave birth in the back seat and we're still using it.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #667 on: September 18, 2018, 04:49:41 PM »
Only 10 years old (2008 Honda Fit) and unimpressive mileage compared to most here but my brag is that I gave birth in the back seat and we're still using it.

I'm hoping it got a wash inside....

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: September 18, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »

Yes we paid for an extensive car detailing. Biohazard cars apparently don't faze car-wash guys in L.A.

The older kids have done much worse than the newborn baby ever did; they are responsible for the glitter glue ground into the carpet and stickers inside the windows and so forth

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #669 on: September 18, 2018, 05:03:27 PM »

Yes we paid for an extensive car detailing. Biohazard cars apparently don't faze car-wash guys in L.A.

The older kids have done much worse than the newborn baby ever did; they are responsible for the glitter glue ground into the carpet and stickers inside the windows and so forth

That's fantastic, and hilarious at the same time.  Will you ever part with the car, or does it hold a special bond now? 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #670 on: September 18, 2018, 07:24:35 PM »

That's fantastic, and hilarious at the same time.  Will you ever part with the car, or does it hold a special bond now?

The time will definitely come; we are so rough on cars, this one being no exception. I assume we'll take a photo with it as a family and then sell it for parts. :D

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #671 on: September 19, 2018, 05:44:38 AM »
2008 ford escape hybrid.  190k miles picked it up in a fleet vehicle raffle at work. 5400 bucks.  I drive a lot for work and get the 56.5 cents per mile accounting for gas tires and oil my car was completely paid back to me by my company in 4 months after purchase

up to 253k miles now still running strong.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: January 15, 2019, 08:04:18 AM »
I still have my first car! Which was a hand me down. And the relative I got it from got it from a repo auction at our bank. It's got 270k miles on it and it's a 1994 or 96 Chevrolet Tahoe...don't recall right now actually. Technically an SUV, but not much bigger than some of the current "cross over" models like the Ford Escape. I think it's crazy how much bigger SUVs have gotten. Not the perfect MPG, but a good old reliable thing.

EDIT: Just went on KBB. My car is worth $2100! =P

Update on this- we ended up gifting this car to a relative in a rough spot when my husband got a job with crazy long drives to clients and needed a more reliable and fuel efficient car. Recently visited said relative- this old thing is still going strong! God knows how many miles now, I forgot to ask.

Brezhnev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #673 on: January 18, 2019, 01:56:57 PM »
I have low mileage car 2014 Mazda 2, which I bought brand new 4.5 years ago, before I started cycling everywhere for transportation. It has now 17000 miles on it, which is less than 4000 miles per year. And only because my wife drives it a couple of time a week.

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #674 on: February 13, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »
I learned to drive on an '87 Corolla.  My parents finally put it out to pasture with 250k miles, not because of any mechanical issues, but because 15 years of Wisconsin winters left it with almost more rust than bodywork.
[/quote]

OMG me too!  5-speed of course.  Best little car.  They subsequently got go-go 1980s pay raises and traded it in for a brand new Volvo.  Boo.  It was the beginning of a slippery slide into rampant keeping-up-with-the-Joneses.  Then again, there was a lot of that going around in the 80s, and it's always easy to judge things with the retrospectoscope on.   

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #675 on: February 13, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
I learned to drive on an '87 Corolla.  My parents finally put it out to pasture with 250k miles, not because of any mechanical issues, but because 15 years of Wisconsin winters left it with almost more rust than bodywork.

OMG me too!  5-speed of course.  Best little car.  They subsequently got go-go 1980s pay raises and traded it in for a brand new Volvo.  Boo.  It was the beginning of a slippery slide into rampant keeping-up-with-the-Joneses.  Then again, there was a lot of that going around in the 80s, and it's always easy to judge things with the retrospectoscope on.   
Yes, 5-speed, of course.  About 10 years later, they upgraded to a Camry with leather seats.  Oh, the luxury!

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #676 on: February 13, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »
Amazing post!!!
My wife’s VW Touareg is pushing on to 55k miles (a 2013 car) and we are considering selling it as we feel it’s already high mileage and are afraid it will start entering the phase when it requires money thrown at it to maintain it in good condition.
On the same token, I have never felt comfortable buying a used car with more than 30k miles on the clock...
This whole post is making me reconsider how I am thinking about car reliability and car ownership!!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #677 on: February 13, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »
Not a car, but my motorcycle (2011 model bought new for a big discount in 2012) is at 91K kilometres.  I will be holding onto it until it dies.  My expectation from others with the same bike is that it should go for at least 250K.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #678 on: February 13, 2019, 05:49:22 PM »
DH and I share one car, a 2005 Honda Pilot that I bought brand new in March 2005, in my pre-MMM days. She’s approaching her 14th birthday in a few weeks and has almost 188K miles. It’s been a terrific car and keeping it after paid off, and not going into debt again for a car purchase, has been one of the smartest financial decisions we’ve ever made. Only “repair” it’s needed was a new motor for the driver’s side window, all else has been routine maintenance. We plan to keep her until she dies.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #679 on: February 13, 2019, 06:14:53 PM »
Amazing post!!!
My wife’s VW Touareg is pushing on to 55k miles (a 2013 car) and we are considering selling it as we feel it’s already high mileage and are afraid it will start entering the phase when it requires money thrown at it to maintain it in good condition.
On the same token, I have never felt comfortable buying a used car with more than 30k miles on the clock...
This whole post is making me reconsider how I am thinking about car reliability and car ownership!!

Let me suggest you reconsider with your next car. If you sell the Touareg right now and buy something else with 50,000 miles on it, pretty much anything else, you'll come out ahead. I owned a Touareg for a couple of years, and I'm not sorry, because the seats seem to have helped to heal a back injury better than tons of physical therapy. As a medical treatment, it was very cheap. As a vehicle, well, expenses really start to pile up about 75,000 miles. I never in all my days imagined parts could cost so much, and I finally hit the point of things I could not repair at home despite a lifetime of experience.  I don't even want to talk about what the one shop 40 miles away that was willing to work on the thing charged.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #680 on: February 13, 2019, 11:46:21 PM »
Amazing post!!!

Let me suggest you reconsider with your next car. If you sell the Touareg right now and buy something else with 50,000 miles on it, pretty much anything else, you'll come out ahead. I owned a Touareg for a couple of years, and I'm not sorry, because the seats seem to have helped to heal a back injury better than tons of physical therapy. As a medical treatment, it was very cheap. As a vehicle, well, expenses really start to pile up about 75,000 miles. I never in all my days imagined parts could cost so much, and I finally hit the point of things I could not repair at home despite a lifetime of experience.  I don't even want to talk about what the one shop 40 miles away that was willing to work on the thing charged.

Thank you for that!!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #681 on: February 14, 2019, 05:29:52 AM »
Amazing post!!!

Thank you for that!!
yeah, you'll notice that a disproportionate percentage of old vehicles in this thread come from Japanese companies. German engineering has a well-earned reputation.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #682 on: February 14, 2019, 07:23:56 AM »
Amazing post!!!

Thank you for that!!
yeah, you'll notice that a disproportionate percentage of old vehicles in this thread come from Japanese companies. German engineering has a well-earned reputation.

The differences are significant - a few years back I was considering a used BMW 335, so I went down the avenue of forum research.  I was highly amused at all the people asking if they should buy this "high mileage" BMW...with 60k on it.  I didn't buy one.

I sold my last Toyota pickup at ~283k and am friends with the new owner, who's over 300k now.  I'm at 205k and climbing on my GX470 with no doubts it'll make it to 300 and beyond.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #683 on: February 14, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »
Just got a 14 year old Renault Laguna diesel with just over 150k miles on it.

Not sure how long this one'll go, to be honest. We'll see!

Owassogirl1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #684 on: February 15, 2019, 03:21:46 PM »
I bought a brand new 2002 Toyota Tacoma back in '02...so facepunch...but I've kept it this entire time and now have about 250,000 miles on it. Still running like a champ, Tacom's are bulletproof I'm convinced.  I recently bought my mom's 2005 Ford Escape with less than 20,000 miles on it for $2500 which I thought was a great deal! For my daily driver I used to drive a 96 Toyota Celica with 220,000 miles on it but we gave that away to a friend.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #685 on: February 15, 2019, 04:12:40 PM »
I posted about my car way back. Still have it, 2010 Maxda3 hatchback, bought sort of new (dealer demo car).  275,000+ km, runs great.  And it is amazing what I can get into the back, no need for an SUV.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #686 on: February 15, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
Amazing post!!!

Thank you for that!!

The differences are significant - a few years back I was considering a used BMW 335, so I went down the avenue of forum research.  I was highly amused at all the people asking if they should buy this "high mileage" BMW...with 60k on it.  I didn't buy one.

I sold my last Toyota pickup at ~283k and am friends with the new owner, who's over 300k now.  I'm at 205k and climbing on my GX470 with no doubts it'll make it to 300 and beyond.

Good lord.
I think I am done w BMW... my BMW M3 has spend the last 3months being fixed at the dealer for various faults... I got it back a few wow ago, and the actuators (£2k repair) are packing up... brought my car home  into limping mode today. It’s got 40k miles on the clock! Thank god every was / is covered by the BMW CPO warranty.
I might have to go Japanese at some stage

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #687 on: February 16, 2019, 05:50:52 AM »
I have an '03 Honda Element with 190k miles. I plan to drive it until at least 250k, if not 275k. It seems like these things can go forever. I just did about $2k of work (suspension, brakes, engine) which is the first maintenance I've had to do (aside from the normal oil change type stuff). I paid $6700 for it about 5 years ago, so I am happy!

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: February 16, 2019, 08:24:24 AM »
Our 2010 Prius has 130K miles (bought it a couple years ago at 101K).

We have for sale a (loaded and immaculate) 2009 Prius with 140K miles on it. Selling it for a family member. Any interest, midwest US mustachians?

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #689 on: February 16, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »
My brother is just now selling a 2001 Honda Civic that's been passed around the family since it was new. It doesn't even have that high of a mileage (100k?).

Laura Ingalls

• Stubble
« Reply #690 on: February 17, 2019, 08:30:59 PM »
My 2004 Pontiac Vibe is 13 years old and just recently crossed the 200k mileage mark.  It still runs well.  Its never used any oil. It still has the original brakes and has only had one unexpected repair (cat converter).  I have bought 16 tires for it and really have one more I should replace.

Still trucking along at 220k.  Spent $500 on a repair in 1-2018 as a result of a small mishap (teenager driver, first real experience with winter driving :()

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #691 on: February 19, 2019, 01:06:43 PM »

Oh 1988 Cutlass Ciera! Mine was white with dark blue interior and 3.8L v6. It was my first car in college, then my commuter car for my first job (~25 miles one way to work). My family and I drove that car all over Eastern side of the US. I taught my wife and cousin how to drive in that car.

I drove it from ~40K until ~220K miles. I kept all of the maintenance in top shape, except that it developed intermittent electrical problem. I spent almost a year trying to figure out it out, finally donate it to a charity as junk car.

I stayed away from home on the day that the tow truck came and took it away...

Glad to see the love for the Cutlass Ciera on here...I'm rockin' a 1995 Buick Century (nearly identical to it's GM brother Cutlass Ciera).  Still enjoy driving it, it's shockingly reliable, good in the snow and easy to work on (replaced the alternator recently and I am not very mechanical).  I've got a whole 30,000 miles on it now, expect this to be my last car considering I drive at MMM-like mileage levels each year! 

- Chops

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #692 on: February 20, 2019, 09:24:03 PM »
I have 1997 Toyota T-100 pickup truck, the recent hurricane caused minor damage, one dent and a couple of very minor dimples; The truck has 112,000 miles on it.
 Because of the damage the insurance company totaled it. I had $1,000 deductible and the insurance co. company paid me $2,996 and then I bought the truck back for $726.00.
 So, I have my truck with a coupleof dents for $726.00.
Such a deal!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: February 21, 2019, 05:20:34 AM »
Let me see if I got the math right. You paid your deductible $1k) plus $726, and your insurance company paid you almost $3k. So you netted $1300 to keep your truck. Nice!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #694 on: March 03, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »
My car is now ten years old and I have nearly 80,000 miles on it. I know that's a lot of miles for the age of the car, but I have to commute 32 miles round-trip everyday. That's pretty much the only thing I use the car for. Otherwise, I walk or ride my bicycle everywhere I need to go. I just read an article that taxi version of my car have upwards of 600,000 miles on them, so I'm hoping I'll be able to keep this car for another 20 years at least. Maybe more if the body holds up.

Eventuality

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #695 on: March 03, 2019, 06:33:56 PM »
My 2001 Subaru Forester just crossed 150,000 miles and is still going strong—just took it on a road trip with friends this weekend (we carpooled). I've had it for 8 years and have no intentions of getting rid of it any time soon. I'm aiming for 250,000 miles.

Plus, how many cars do you know that have a functioning tape deck? It scores major retro brownie points.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #696 on: March 04, 2019, 08:50:49 AM »
My 2001 Subaru Forester just crossed 150,000 miles and is still going strong—just took it on a road trip with friends this weekend (we carpooled). I've had it for 8 years and have no intentions of getting rid of it any time soon. I'm aiming for 250,000 miles.

Plus, how many cars do you know that have a functioning tape deck? It scores major retro brownie points.

Ha, my 2005 Lexus has one too. I wonder if it's ever been used!

Eventuality

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #697 on: March 04, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »

Hahahaha! I actually use a cassette adapter so I can listen to music in the car, so I make use of the tape deck pretty regularly. I just Googled and they apparently make Bluetooth cassette adaptors too, so no cords... now we're talking!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #698 on: March 05, 2019, 03:05:03 PM »

Hahahaha! I actually use a cassette adapter so I can listen to music in the car, so I make use of the tape deck pretty regularly. I just Googled and they apparently make Bluetooth cassette adaptors too, so no cords... now we're talking!

I ended up buying a bluetooth adapter that plugs into where the factory CD changer was (the CD changer was broken anyway). It works quite well.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #699 on: March 19, 2019, 08:43:14 PM »
Well, I already bragged on my 1997 Toyota T-100 bought in 2000 for $11,000, it now has 108,000 miles on it.
  Hurricane Michael caused a little damage to it, and the insurance company totaled it, the gave me $3,000 for it.
 I bought it back for $726. So now I have $8,726 into it.
 It has one 6" x 1" dent in the rear of the cab and 3 small dimples on the hood. I didn't and don't plan on fixing anything caused by the hurricane.
 I don't know if I bragged on the 1997 Lexus, bought for $4,000 in 2006 and sold for $2,900 in 2017.
 I figured that as $100 a year. I think it was sold with 217,000 miles on it and the buyer told me a week later that he loved the car.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!