Author Topic: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car  (Read 114649 times)

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
Re: Brag on your MMM high-mileage or old car
« Reply #600 on: October 26, 2017, 03:21:03 AM »
Had to chime in again regarding my 1997 Honda Civic HX (2dr coupe). I bought it with 290k miles on it for $900. It currently has over 297k miles on it. Nothing but oil since. I'll change the timing belt/water pump at 300k miles, in my front drive way.

I just loaned the "Little Beater Honda" to my Aussie friends, to drive up to Canada and back to visit their friends. It's so fuel efficient (averaged 38.5mpg over past 800 miles), that they used only 1 tank of fuel over 400mi (common place really, 10gl at 2.59/gl), and it saved them over $100 in bus fairs and other transport.

Not only do I save shit loads by driving it, but I can help my friends save shit loads too.
I spent the first 6 years of "real" life in a self imposed semi retirement, to secure a lifetime of stories. Now it's time to secure the next lifetime through the badassity of FI.

"I achieved such a high level of badassity I just don't realize how normal people miss the whole process." --Le Barbu

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: October 26, 2017, 05:27:51 AM »
I've been putting off registering until I saw this topic. This was a deal maker.

I've got a 1996 Honda Accord with 180k miles. I've had it since high school (~2001) and I drive it less than 5k miles a year, sometimes way less. i get about 26 mpg when I drive it. Unless I sell it, I'll have to get new tires soon because the rubber is starting to crack even though the tread is still almost perfect. Oh yeah, I bike everywhere. (I didn't realize that cycling was a big sport until I moved out to CA. Bikes are for commuting - right?)

I've mentioned this before, maybe even in this thread, but it's a life safety issue, so here it is again. Tires fail because they have exceeded their service age. Old tires become brittle as they degrade due to the loss of various compounds within the rubber, over time. As a result they can, and will, blow apart while in use, which can be fatal. There is a date code stamped on all tires used in the north American market, and it's easy to figure out. Look for a four number code that is molded into the sidewall. The first two numbers are the week #, so if it's a 27 it means that the tires were built in the 27th week of the year, or roughly the first week of July. The second set is the year code.  For example 0117 means that the tire was built the first week of 2017. When it comes to exactly what is too old, there are various opinions, but most tire manufacturers, vehicle makers, and the federal government seem to agree to a range of 6-7 years.

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2014_Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel_4b_Kane.pdf

Unfortunately, cracking of tread is often a poor indication of tire condition, with some brands and regions of weather being famous for cosmetic cracking. OTOH, cracking may be a significant issue, and old tires that are ready to blow can look nearly unused and be free of cracks. This can be a hot topic with the RV owning crowd, since it's common to have travel trailer tires and motorhome tires that are nearly unused, with no visible tread wear, at the 6-7 year old point. Unfortunately, trailer tires can blow by flailing large "whips" of semi-detached tread until severe damage has been done to the camper. In motorhomes, especially the big ones, losing a tire on the front, can make the thing uncontrollable. Obviously, the members here that own cars that are very lightly used, and owned for an unusually long time, are prime candidates for tire failure due to driving on tires that are too old to be safe.  The other issue would be  MMMers who cut costs by buying used tires.  Getting a new looking set of tires for 1/2 price is hardly a bargain if they are five years old.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:30:11 AM by paddedhat »

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #602 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:07 AM »
I just loaned the "Little Beater Honda" to my Aussie friends, to drive up to Canada and back to visit their friends. It's so fuel efficient (averaged 38.5mpg over past 800 miles), that they used only 1 tank of fuel over 400mi (common place really, 10gl at 2.59/gl), and it saved them over $100 in bus fairs and other transport.
Dangit, you're making me miss the '94 Civic I drove right after college.  I loved that car--fun to drive and cost almost nothing to run.

Roots&Wings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #603 on: October 26, 2017, 06:53:23 AM »
I've been putting off registering until I saw this topic. This was a deal maker.

I've got a 1996 Honda Accord with 180k miles. I've had it since high school (~2001) and I drive it less than 5k miles a year, sometimes way less. i get about 26 mpg when I drive it. Unless I sell it, I'll have to get new tires soon because the rubber is starting to crack even though the tread is still almost perfect. Oh yeah, I bike everywhere. (I didn't realize that cycling was a big sport until I moved out to CA. Bikes are for commuting - right?)

I've mentioned this before, maybe even in this thread, but it's a life safety issue, so here it is again. Tires fail because they have exceeded their service age. Old tires become brittle as they degrade due to the loss of various compounds within the rubber, over time. As a result they can, and will, blow apart while in use, which can be fatal. There is a date code stamped on all tires used in the north American market, and it's easy to figure out. Look for a four number code that is molded into the sidewall. The first two numbers are the week #, so if it's a 27 it means that the tires were built in the 27th week of the year, or roughly the first week of July. The second set is the year code.  For example 0117 means that the tire was built the first week of 2017. When it comes to exactly what is too old, there are various opinions, but most tire manufacturers, vehicle makers, and the federal government seem to agree to a range of 6-7 years.

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2014_Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel_4b_Kane.pdf

Unfortunately, cracking of tread is often a poor indication of tire condition, with some brands and regions of weather being famous for cosmetic cracking. OTOH, cracking may be a significant issue, and old tires that are ready to blow can look nearly unused and be free of cracks. This can be a hot topic with the RV owning crowd, since it's common to have travel trailer tires and motorhome tires that are nearly unused, with no visible tread wear, at the 6-7 year old point. Unfortunately, trailer tires can blow by flailing large "whips" of semi-detached tread until severe damage has been done to the camper. In motorhomes, especially the big ones, losing a tire on the front, can make the thing uncontrollable. Obviously, the members here that own cars that are very lightly used, and owned for an unusually long time, are prime candidates for tire failure due to driving on tires that are too old to be safe.  The other issue would be  MMMers who cut costs by buying used tires.  Getting a new looking set of tires for 1/2 price is hardly a bargain if they are five years old.

This is great info paddedhat, and even buying new tires, you still need to verify the manufacture date since inventory can sit (the tires my car had previously were actually 2 years old when they were installed "new"). For replacement tires, Tirerack was great (recommended here many times), ordered new tires for my older Accord that they guaranteed to be newly manufactured for $315 last year.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #604 on: October 26, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
Tirerack is an interesting situation. Once I add shipping and installation to their prices, I find it pretty easy to match or beat their prices locally. I just needed to replace tires on my motorhome, which was a horrifyingly unmustachian adventure. I was looking at $350  a piece (X6) for locally sourced mid-grade tires. I found "simple tire" online. They had the tires shipped to a local truck repair shop, in a few days, with free shipping. They were $202 each. They guaranteed fresh tires, and all six were made in July. It worked out well and saved me about $600 in the end. Tirerack is a great resource, but don't hesitate to ask your local tire dealer to match their prices.

sequoia

• Bristles
« Reply #605 on: October 28, 2017, 12:47:50 AM »
Tirerack is an interesting situation. Once I add shipping and installation to their prices, I find it pretty easy to match or beat their prices locally. I just needed to replace tires on my motorhome, which was a horrifyingly unmustachian adventure. I was looking at $350  a piece (X6) for locally sourced mid-grade tires. I found "simple tire" online. They had the tires shipped to a local truck repair shop, in a few days, with free shipping. They were $202 each. They guaranteed fresh tires, and all six were made in July. It worked out well and saved me about $600 in the end. Tirerack is a great resource, but don't hesitate to ask your local tire dealer to match their prices.

+1. Tirerack is the best site to find information, but not necessarily the best price. 

Great post @paddedhat re tire safety.

Dave1442397

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #606 on: November 04, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
This is worth a look. It's an ad a guy made to sell his girlfriend's 1996 Honda Accord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlNeiY4Rf4

Zola.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #607 on: November 08, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »
I have a VW Bora that is coming up on 237,000 miles. Its 15 years old, and I plan to drive it until something major happens. Until then, its on the road and working hard.

My wifes car died recently and we ended up buying a BMW 1 Series, a truly beautiful car, but not exactly frugal. We paid half up front and will be paying off the second half over 3 years. Not too bad, but we intend to keep it for a long time, so hopefully it turns out to be a good purchase.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #608 on: November 08, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
I have a VW Bora that is coming up on 237,000 miles. Its 15 years old, and I plan to drive it until something major happens. Until then, its on the road and working hard.

My wifes car died recently and we ended up buying a BMW 1 Series, a truly beautiful car, but not exactly frugal. We paid half up front and will be paying off the second half over 3 years. Not too bad, but we intend to keep it for a long time, so hopefully it turns out to be a good purchase.

You bought a new BMW, and financed half of it. It was not a good purchase. It was a very expensive one.
I spent the first 6 years of "real" life in a self imposed semi retirement, to secure a lifetime of stories. Now it's time to secure the next lifetime through the badassity of FI.

"I achieved such a high level of badassity I just don't realize how normal people miss the whole process." --Le Barbu

BiochemicalDJ

• Stubble
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #609 on: November 09, 2017, 07:41:41 AM »
I'm sad. I'm moving to a new place that doesn't support parking for 2 vehicles, so my littlest car has to go.

I received the first offer on Kijiji this morning: "I'll give you $250 for that trashcan on wheels."

Man, people sure know how to flatter you, huh? Made me unexpectedly sadder this morning.

I'd almost rather give it to someone who would get use out of it rather than sell it to some asshole (especially considering how much time and effort I put into bringing it back up to factory spec).
Having fun isn't hard when you have a library card.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/biochemicaldj-redox/

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #610 on: November 09, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »
I'm sad. I'm moving to a new place that doesn't support parking for 2 vehicles, so my littlest car has to go.

I received the first offer on Kijiji this morning: "I'll give you $250 for that trashcan on wheels."

Man, people sure know how to flatter you, huh? Made me unexpectedly sadder this morning.

I'd almost rather give it to someone who would get use out of it rather than sell it to some asshole (especially considering how much time and effort I put into bringing it back up to factory spec).
Take your oldest trash can you have, weld some wheels onto it, and sell it to that guy for $250.  I hate that crap.  It's unavoidable with Craigslist unfortunately.  They'll send that message to 1000 sellers, and one might say yes.

BiochemicalDJ

• Stubble
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #611 on: November 09, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
Take your oldest trash can you have, weld some wheels onto it, and sell it to that guy for $250.  I hate that crap.  It's unavoidable with Craigslist unfortunately.  They'll send that message to 1000 sellers, and one might say yes.

Honestly man, I really appreciate the support. I know I'd be a terrible content creator, because I let that douche get to me worse than I ever expected- If I had to contend with a 'comments' field I'd be screwed xD

*Sigh* It wouldn't hurt so much if I hadn't put so much into the car, both moneywise and time wise. But I learned a lot. And grew to appreciate just exactly how tinker-toy like the inside of those things are from a repair perspective when you see the inside of a more luxurious engine compartment.

If I get $500 CAD for it, my cost/KM will be $0.53,
If I get $1000 CAD for it, my cost/KM will be  $0.42.

Either way, I get to keep all the tools.

Too soon, cruel world. To soon to take this sweet prince.

I am so awful at buying beaters at riding them into the ground. I have an obsession with trying not to abuse mechanical objects, and that includes maintaining things well beyond a logical limit. It has bitten me very hard today.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:42:54 AM by BiochemicalDJ »
Having fun isn't hard when you have a library card.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/biochemicaldj-redox/

ontheheel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #612 on: November 09, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
185,000 miles
22 MPG
Dirt cheap and easy to fix when things break (they rarely do)
Purchased in 2014 for $8,000, worth about the same today, primarily because SoCal loves Jeeps

Also

2004 Honda Odyssey
150,000 miles
27 MPG
Leaking like a sieve from every orifice...more work than it's worth, and hoping to sell in the next couple of years.
Purchased this past summer for $4,200

When we move again in about a year and a half, I'm putting my foot down when it comes to commuting. Pulling my bike back out for trips to/from work. The Jeep will become solely a toy for family fun on weekends.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #613 on: November 10, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »

Honestly man, I really appreciate the support. I know I'd be a terrible content creator, because I let that douche get to me worse than I ever expected- If I had to contend with a 'comments' field I'd be screwed xD

*Sigh* It wouldn't hurt so much if I hadn't put so much into the car, both moneywise and time wise. But I learned a lot. And grew to appreciate just exactly how tinker-toy like the inside of those things are from a repair perspective when you see the inside of a more luxurious engine compartment.

If I get $500 CAD for it, my cost/KM will be $0.53,
If I get $1000 CAD for it, my cost/KM will be  $0.42.

Either way, I get to keep all the tools.

Too soon, cruel world. To soon to take this sweet prince.

I am so awful at buying beaters at riding them into the ground. I have an obsession with trying not to abuse mechanical objects, and that includes maintaining things well beyond a logical limit. It has bitten me very hard today.

What car is it? PM me :)

*Edit* never mind, I see your other post saying you got offer/s over asking.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:44:10 PM by daverobev »
Amex Cobalt - 10x points at grocery stores in December!! This is amazing!

Great Canadian Rebates good extra sign up bonuses on credit cards, among other things.

Tangerine Orange Key: 48322202S1. I prefer Simplii (was PC Financial) to Tangerine, but you get $50 for signing up (and so do I).

PayTM - pay bills with your credit card. Like Plastiq, but currently a lot of stuff that Plastiq charges for is free. My code is PTM9691063, pay a $50 bill and we both get $10 in PayTM cash which you can use on the next bill. Good for min spend, at least.

Captain Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #614 on: November 13, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »
280K and going strong.

It's a Honda Accord, so basically just keep driving and it fixes itself. Also just lucky. Very little maintenance needed that I couldn't do myself. :)

el_ingeniero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #615 on: November 17, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
This is the car not to buy car: in 2014 I overpaid about $1000 for a 1998 Subaru Forester S. It needed a brake job right away, then I had to get the tree sap cleaned off it. I should have sold it when the first major repair happened. Or the second. Or the third. I finally gave up end of 2016 when it needed a head gasket job.

2 reasons not to get a Subaru:
  • boxer engines are notorious for leaky head gaskets
  • without the 6-speed automatic, mileage is crap
But you guys probably knew that anyways.  At least it was 1/2 the cost to insure than the car before.

MatthewK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #616 on: November 18, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
2008 Subaru Outback, 162k. bought 2 years ago, previous owner replaced head gasket/timing belt so I didn't have to deal with that. However I have had a lot of other things replaced, wheel bearings, front/rear suspension, ball joints, sway bars, brakes and cat converter. Now looking at tires before the snow starts flying here in Michigan. One could say a lot of this stuff is wear/tear items that would have to be replaced on any auto with this mileage/age right????? Oh, and I paid cash for it so I feel better about that. Next car will be much smaller and efficient though....honda fit, toyota yaris, ford fiesta or focus and manual tranny if I can help it.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #617 on: November 18, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »
This is the car not to buy car: in 2014 I overpaid about $1000 for a 1998 Subaru Forester S. It needed a brake job right away, then I had to get the tree sap cleaned off it. I should have sold it when the first major repair happened. Or the second. Or the third. I finally gave up end of 2016 when it needed a head gasket job.

2 reasons not to get a Subaru:
  • boxer engines are notorious for leaky head gaskets
  • without the 6-speed automatic, mileage is crap
But you guys probably knew that anyways.  At least it was 1/2 the cost to insure than the car before.

I once read a fascinating series of posts (on another forum) from a guy who owned a small, independent Subaru repair shop in Vermont. As many might already know, that part of the states is well stocked with Subarus. He wrote of the curious cult attachment that Subie owners seem to be afflicted with. He had a ton of loyal customers, many who pride themselves in driving their cars until they just can't be fixed anymore. He noted that it's the only brand he has ever worked on, where owners of supposedly durable, economy cars, will unhesitatingly toss large amounts of money at, often repeatedly, to keep the car on the road. He claimed that he has many customers who will have multiple sets of head gaskets, wheel bearings, or other expensive repairs,  by the time the car is finished, and typically have a repair history of spending $4,000+ at his shop.

That's kind of amazing to me. As a loyal Honda owner, I can safely say that decades of owning, maintaining, repairing and putting countless hundreds of thousands of miles on ALL of them, they never required $4,000 in major repairs. Especially since absolutely none of them ever required a major repair at all.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #618 on: November 18, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
2008 Subaru Outback, 162k. bought 2 years ago, previous owner replaced head gasket/timing belt so I didn't have to deal with that. However I have had a lot of other things replaced, wheel bearings, front/rear suspension, ball joints, sway bars, brakes and cat converter. Now looking at tires before the snow starts flying here in Michigan. One could say a lot of this stuff is wear/tear items that would have to be replaced on any auto with this mileage/age right????? Oh, and I paid cash for it so I feel better about that. Next car will be much smaller and efficient though....honda fit, toyota yaris, ford fiesta or focus and manual tranny if I can help it.

Short answer?  Hell no.  I have driven many vehicles past ten years and 160K miles and never replaced anything you mentioned, with the exception of sway bar bushings, which were a quick, easy $40 DIY job.   When it's time to get rid of that wallet sucker, stick with a Toyota or Honda. As much as MMM, and some of the crowd here, claim that the smaller Fords are worthy, there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary. In the group you are thinking of, it's a Fit or Yaris, end or the story. Everything else will be more expensive to operate, and less reliable.

MatthewK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #619 on: November 18, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »

Short answer?  Hell no.  I have driven many vehicles past ten years and 160K miles and never replaced anything you mentioned, with the exception of sway bar bushings, which were a quick, easy $40 DIY job.   When it's time to get rid of that wallet sucker, stick with a Toyota or Honda. As much as MMM, and some of the crowd here, claim that the smaller Fords are worthy, there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary. In the group you are thinking of, it's a Fit or Yaris, end or the story. Everything else will be more expensive to operate, and less reliable.

Shit!! Thanks for the face punch, not the answer I was hoping for :-) Yah I'm guilty of the "I've sank this much money into it I can't afford to get rid of it now! I did have a 2002 Honda Accord that I love'd and regret to this day getting rid of it. I did have the water pump/timing belt replaced as recommended on all honda's, but other than that just brake pads and of course oil changes that I do myself all but once a year when I pay to have it done by a mechanic so they can check other things out as a general safety measure.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #620 on: November 18, 2017, 10:52:46 AM »
2004 Nissan Sentra, purchased for $7k with 13,000 miles in 2010. Currently sitting at 59,000 miles. I will drive this car till I get close to FIRE.

It's funny that I thought this was a Mustachian purchase, but 3 years later, we have 88k on the clock and she's going strong. 8 years and the only thing I've done is oil changes, new battery, brake pads, tires. She still has a KBB of $2k.

Caveat - SO drives her now. I replaced my car with an unmustachian 2008 g37s in 2016. 21k miles on the odometer for $16.5k =p
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

29 Months till FI - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #621 on: November 18, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
We are full time travelers. We bought a 2004 one ton Dodge RAM DRW a couple of years ago to be our dedicated hauler/daily driver. We bought it to replace our 1998 Dodge RAM 2500 that I used to haul horses for many years. The older truck got HORRIBLE gas mileage, or we would have kept it for hauling us around. So this "newer" truck is a diesel and is our only vehicle. At the campgrounds, it is definitely one of the "older" tow vehicles which doesn't bother me at all.

DH really, really wants a newer truck. I don't see the need for anything newer. Our Dodge does have a couple of issues that can be annoying but we've already put enough into it that it should be gtg for another 100k miles.

To tempt him further he recently got a small inheritance at which time he was 100% sure he would spend it on a newer tow vehicle. After looking online at pricing he came to his own conclusion that we are better off spending that money on another  rental property.

/whew  - I feel like I dodged a bullet.

FIREySkyline

• Stubble
« Reply #622 on: November 18, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
1987 Toyota Corolla Hatch

Purchased for $700 w/100k, now has 150k. Did replace the A/C, timing belt, headgasket, front brakes (calipers, rotors, pads) and struts -- but that actually wasn't terribly expensive over the course of 50k and the car just runs. Plan to drive it while it keeps going, but do not intend to do any more major maintenance items.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #623 on: November 19, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »

Purchased for $700 w/100k, now has 150k. Did replace the A/C, timing belt, headgasket, front brakes (calipers, rotors, pads) and struts -- but that actually wasn't terribly expensive over the course of 50k and the car just runs. Plan to drive it while it keeps going, but do not intend to do any more major maintenance items.
I learned to drive on an '87 Corolla.  My parents finally put it out to pasture with 250k miles, not because of any mechanical issues, but because 15 years of Wisconsin winters left it with almost more rust than bodywork.

FIREySkyline

• Stubble
« Reply #624 on: November 19, 2017, 03:03:39 PM »

I learned to drive on an '87 Corolla.  My parents finally put it out to pasture with 250k miles, not because of any mechanical issues, but because 15 years of Wisconsin winters left it with almost more rust than bodywork.
That is the biggest issue with old cars in the midwest and northeast. Somehow this one is still in one piece.