Author Topic: Booyah! 3/10 of a mile from work!  (Read 7395 times)

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
Booyah! 3/10 of a mile from work!
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:19:49 AM »
I have to lead with one word: Booyah!

My family and I successfully negotiated the purchase of a beautiful house in the middle of everything!  It's absolutely perfect for us. 

The house has enough room that we should be set for all future space needs that I can envision without being too large and inefficient.  It's on just under 1/2 an acre which is enough but not too much.

And, most importantly, it is 3/10 of a mile from my office, 1/4 mile from the grocery store and other shopping, 1/2 a mile from the movie theater, and--even more importantly--is 3/10 of a mile from the recently renovated public library.

I'm especially enthusiastic about the distance from my office because, although we're working towards FI, I don't plan to ever retire.  (I run my own business and it has all kinds of wonderful perks with very little lifestyle impingement.)  I'm more interested in SWAMI status.

Thank you to the Community of the Mustachians.  Although we've had our ducks in a row financially for a while, it was primarily due to this blog's hatred of the commute that we shopped so hard to be close to the office.  We might not have focused on geographic proximity so much without it.  And, I'm thankful that we did.

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Booyah! 3/10 of a mile from work!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »
Wow, that's fantastic!

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:51 AM »
Once you live near a public library, it's hard to move! We also live just 2 blocks from our library and I can't imagine how we ever survived before.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
Yay -- sounds perfect!

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »
I'm more interested in SWAMI status.
OK, I guess I'm still a newbie. I've seen it a few times, but can't find what SWAMI stands for...
I'll hazard a guess, but it doesn't sound quite right: Still working and Monetarily Independent???

Here's what I found online, for giggles:
Acronym Definition
  • SWAMI Swedish Alliance for Middleware Infrastructure 
  • SWAMI Software Asset Management Interest Group
  • SWAMI Sidewall Masked Isolation
  • SWAMI State of Washington as a Musical Instrument 
  • SWAMI Short Wave Aerostat-Mounted Imager 

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
He's referring to Short Wave Aerostat-Mounted Imager ;)

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:13:56 AM »
Wow this is something to celebrate! Perfect walking distances for everything.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:30 AM »
I had to go Google what "SWAMI" was...  red-faced when I found it defined right here on MMM. ^^;

Congrats to OP! Sounds like your place is perfect for you.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
Our library used to be a mile from our house, but it closed during the recession. The closest now is four miles, but I miss the other one still!

tfordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »
Dang!  That is awesome.  Congratulations!

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
OK, I guess I'm still a newbie. I've seen it a few times, but can't find what SWAMI stands for...

I love the list of acronyms!

MMM coined the term: Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/30/weekend-edition-retire-in-your-mind-even-if-you-love-your-job/

CptPoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I play music and stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 08:57:20 AM »
This sounds very similar to my current situation. I recently signed a rental agreement on a house that is about 3/4 of a mile from where I work and go to school. It is right next door to the farmers market and grocery store from which I buy the majority of my food, and there is access to the bike trail network that runs throughout my city about 1/4 a mile from the house.

The cherry on top of all of this is that the landlord wants to sell the house so she has agreed to put a portion of each rent payment towards the principle on the house if I ever choose to buy it. It sits on about a half acre and is just the right size for a small family. It includes ample garden space, and has a privacy fence that would allow me to raise (illegal) chickens without anyone knowing.

It is perfect for my wife and I while I finish up my MS degree and would be great if we decide to stay here.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:42 AM »
Congrats! I live within a half mile of my work, the grocery store, and my son's daycare. A mall with theatre is just under a mile. I wish we had a library closer to us. That's about all that I find I am sad about, and it looks like you improved upon it!

It's totally worth having everything so close by!

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
Our library used to be a mile from our house, but it closed during the recession. The closest now is four miles, but I miss the other one still!
I'm right there with you in Charlotte. My old library was tiny but with the book request system I could always get what I wanted. Now its about 4 to 5 miles away and no longer on the way to work. :( They cut back hours at all locations but recently brought them back up to regular at many locations.