Author Topic: Black Friday done right - Found my wedding dress!  (Read 1616 times)

FindingFI

• Stubble
Black Friday done right - Found my wedding dress!
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »
So for the last few months I have been looking for a wedding dress.  I started looking at white department store dresses around $130 and under and didn't find anything that felt right.  Moved up to bridesmaid dresses that came in ivory and found a few contenders in the $200-$500 ballpark, but still wasn't wowed.  Started looking at bridal gowns with an absolute cap at $800, and I found one that I loved!  The local store wanted $1,200 for it, but a salon in NYC was selling it on their website for $675.  The huge price difference freaked me out a bit since I've seen too many horror stories about knock-off gowns.  So I had been putting off placing the order for a while, and boy am I glad I did!

Fast forward to this weekend.  A few dress shops near me were having Black Friday sample sales.  They sell the dresses that everyone has been trying on in the store at a significant discount after designers discontinue the style and it can no longer by ordered.  Well, I found a gorgeous designer gown, in my size, exactly what I was looking for, for $100 out the door!  No more wondering if that online price was legit.  Got my dress tucked away in a closet at my parents' house and my stress over finding the dress and not spending a fortune is gone!

felixbf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Black Friday done right - Found my wedding dress!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:55:53 AM »
Sweet, when is the big day ?

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 04:36:46 AM »
Next summer, plenty of time to get everything else together without dropping a ton of money!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:30:41 AM »
Congrats! Your perfect wedding dress for 100 dollars is a bargain.

The trick is often to have enough time when you plan to make a big purchase. First decide what (kind of) product you want and then have time to wait for a good sale that suddenly pops up.

I am trying to sell my 15 years old wedding dress on the local variant of Graig's list. But I haven't been lucky so far. One girl was interested, but didn't show up.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 06:12:28 AM »
Are there are any Facebook groups in your area for buying and reselling wedding related items?  I'm in a couple and quite a few people have put dresses up for sale and gotten responses.  It's less anonymous than something like Craigslist which seems to make buyers more comfortable.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »
Are there are any Facebook groups in your area for buying and reselling wedding related items?  I'm in a couple and quite a few people have put dresses up for sale and gotten responses.  It's less anonymous than something like Craigslist which seems to make buyers more comfortable.

Yes, there was a public dress-sales event for school girls in the beginning of this month. But instead of wanting to drive there I put it out on the internet. But now I still have the dress for sale and I don't see any new events. It seems that local dress events are earlier than end of November. I guess I'll have to wait until next year. I now lowered the price on the add. We'll see if that has any effect...