Author Topic: Biked to work for 2nd time!  (Read 2425 times)

keyser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Biked to work for 2nd time!
« on: August 23, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
I just biked into the office! (Yes, it's a weekend. I am a lawyer) 6.6 miles and a couple of hills in 50 minutes. The itch to get an ebike is getting stronger...

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
Re: Biked to work for 2nd time!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 09:35:31 AM »
Way to go.
It gets addictive, you will find.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 09:50:17 AM »
It's always the hills. We live in a dip on the way up the hill. Even if I want to go down into the valley, I have to go uphill first!

Hope you arrived at work drier than I was when I got back from my ride this morning.

keyser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 11:53:27 AM »
Thanks ixtap & HenryDavid! The amount of focus at my desk right now is awesome -- like I gained 10 IQ points. Am going to have to give it a shot on a weekday next.

It's impossible to arrive dry - I'm in the South :).

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
I just biked into the office! (Yes, it's a weekend. I am a lawyer) 6.6 miles and a couple of hills in 50 minutes. The itch to get an ebike is getting stronger...

I'm jealous that you have a route you can ride to work.  The roads around my job are either narrow two lane curvy roads or busy two lane roads with narrow shoulders and lots of traffic.  Theoretically I could ride but it would be dangerous.  In your shoes, I'd very likely have an ebike so I could ride to work more.  That also allows you to use the motor more on the way in so you don't sweat as much and then work harder on the way home. 

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 10:00:29 AM »
in the south with hills?  where is this mythical place?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 10:06:45 AM »

Anywhere between the beaches and the mountains.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 11:10:06 PM »

I'm jealous that you have a route you can ride to work.  The roads around my job are either narrow two lane curvy roads or busy two lane roads with narrow shoulders and lots of traffic.  Theoretically I could ride but it would be dangerous.  In your shoes, I'd very likely have an ebike so I could ride to work more.  That also allows you to use the motor more on the way in so you don't sweat as much and then work harder on the way home.

I agree with an e-bike if you have a lot of hills and have to look halfway decent at work. My commute is flatter than a pancake, so I decided to keep my normal bike. But if there were hills, forget it. No one wants a sweaty surgeon operating on them.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 05:59:58 PM »
E-bikes help some with the “drenched in sweat” factor! I biked to work this past week (9.8 miles, on an ebike, plenty f hills), and arrived warm but not soaked (I’m in a pretty humid part of the US)

keyser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
Make that the 3rd time today -- didn't even have to walk the big hill this time.

I'm just biking in when working weekends now so it's ok to arrive sweaty and cool off. My route may be a little dicey with full weekday traffic. Those ebikes sure are tempting though...

FrugalPole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 04:35:13 AM »
I currently don't have to bike to work as I work remotely and that will probably continue for a good part of 2021 but I got my bike for what would be about $30 on a site similar to Craigslist. I got it fixed, tires replaced etc (a guy at some shop did it for about $40- shame on me) and now I use it to commute around the town. It's a blessing that I've finally gotten a bike as the transmission in my ridiculous car broke and I have no other option than taking my bike. This week I biked to the city to take care of some stuff and it was 55 km in total (it's like 1334 pounds or 852 elbows). I am happy I've done that as now everything seems possible ;)

I am now procrastinating about getting my car fixed and looking at Craigslist to buy a decent, used bike trailer ;)

keyvaluepair

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 02:34:39 PM »
Call me dense, but I missed the part about elbows and pounds.

I've been bike commuting for about 20+ years at this point and my car is 26 years old with 102K miles on it (supposedly worth $300 in blue book value at this point!!). But I can save boatload of $ on gas and maintenance

FrugalPole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 12:22:24 AM »
Call me dense, but I missed the part about elbows and pounds.

I've been bike commuting for about 20+ years at this point and my car is 26 years old with 102K miles on it (supposedly worth $300 in blue book value at this point!!). But I can save boatload of $ on gas and maintenance

Kudos on your bike-commuting tenure! Apart from saving, have you noticed any negative effects on your health (e.g. knees issues)?

About knees and elbows ;) It's just a bad joke about imperial vs metric system, nothing to be worried about ;)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 05:04:25 AM »
Thanks ixtap & HenryDavid! The amount of focus at my desk right now is awesome -- like I gained 10 IQ points. Am going to have to give it a shot on a weekday next.

It's impossible to arrive dry - I'm in the South :).

It's "deep south" level humid where I'm at this year. I get to choose between biking in the rain and arriving drenched to the bone, or wearing a full rain suit and arriving covered in sweat. 

cincystache

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 05:46:52 PM »
Congrats! I bought an e-bike last year on black friday. No regrets! Bike commuting is even more fun with a little boost.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »
Working at home now. I miss my 7 mile one way bike commute. Essentially flat, so easy to not sweat much on the way in just by taking it easy. They used to sell a product called “rocket shower” I think, that was to spritz on you to help you cool off, it was just witch hazel and rubbing alcohol. I typically wear bike shorts and golf shirt, changing into pants in the bathroom at work.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 06:52:41 PM »
Make that the 3rd time today -- didn't even have to walk the big hill this time.

I'm just biking in when working weekends now so it's ok to arrive sweaty and cool off. My route may be a little dicey with full weekday traffic. Those ebikes sure are tempting though...

Nice job! After about 2-3 weeks the ride definitely gets easier. You don’t need an e-bike to commute, but if that is what it takes to keep you out of your car then it is a good decision to get one.

Oh, I also agree feel so much better and am able to be more focused after biking in.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:55:05 PM by Wintergreen78 »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 10:11:28 AM »
An ebike is nice if there are hills. It is the only way I can make the trip these days and be presentable. Living in the humid south.

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »

East TN, North GA, West NC all have a good amount of elevation changes.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 02:30:54 PM »
Hills, humidity and heat. The perfect trifecta for arriving anywhere ready for a shower. No shower at my work place.

My route is a bunch of very hilly rough slow country roads b/c the modern graded and roads are no shoulder 45 mph (55 mph) death traps.

The country roads are perfectly fine for ~10-15 mph.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2020, 10:38:58 AM »

I hear ya. Been wanting to get an Ebike for a while now.
Looking for something ~$500 and foldable. Trying to fit 2(for the wife) in the SUV.
This one was very tempting for $400 but its gone now. I hesitate on getting one because 2 won't fit in a SUV.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14495678-hyper-e-ride-electric-mountain-bike-26-inch-wheels-36-volt-battery-398-with-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1.
Something like this would be perfect for us. https://www.ancheer.shop/collections/electric-bike/products/ancheer-18-7-inch-wheel-aluminum-alloy-frame-folding-mountain-bike-cycling-bicycle-white?variant=31549096886360