Author Topic: Biked 15 miles with 200 pounds of kids behind me.  (Read 2084 times)

Thegoblinchief

Biked 15 miles with 200 pounds of kids behind me.
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »
Finally walked over to the neighborhood ACE and got bolts to replace the ones I sheared off on my trailer hitch. Figured out a way to squeeze all 3 kids in the trailer, then took them to the park and then showed them my training loop. All-told, a nice 15 mile ride.

They got mud-splattered a few times but they really enjoyed it, and it was quite the workout for me on the uphill grades :)

I think tomorrow's project is going to be rigging a rear-facing jumpseat for my youngest in the front of the trailer, since it's already a tight squeeze with all 3 facing forward.

I will call it: the FRANKENTRAILER!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
Re: Biked 15 miles with 200 pounds of kids behind me.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »
That is incredible.  Well done!  My thighs are killing me just thinking about it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:03:55 PM »
That is incredible.  Well done!  My thighs are killing me just thinking about it.

I tried this last year when still a biking novice and practically tore a ligament getting up one (small) grade. Definitely NOT something I'd recommend unless you are a seasoned biker ;)

avonlea

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »
Wow!  Thegoblinchief, that's amazing.  I didn't start biking in town until both of my kids were able to ride their own individual bikes.  And I have never hauled anything that didn't fit in a backpack. :P. Awesome job!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:01:31 PM »
Wow!  Thegoblinchief, that's amazing.  I didn't start biking in town until both of my kids were able to ride their own individual bikes.  And I have never hauled anything that didn't fit in a backpack. :P. Awesome job!

My kids can bike but keeping my head on a swivel to keep them all safe is hard. In a couple years we can do bike lanes and such. Even there I may still decide to invest in a "long john" cargo bike or build my own.

I rarely have us all ride except to the park 10 blocks away or when we drive over to use trails.