Author Topic: Bike + camping = awesome  (Read 8379 times)

markstache

• Stubble
Bike + camping = awesome
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
Biking is mustachian. Camping is mustachian. Put them together and you get a heck of a fun weekend.

On Friday after work, I loaded up the trailer is some bare necessities and my 2.5 year old son, and we rode 2 hours to a county park to go camping. Upon arrival, we set up the tent and had our special snacks (juice and peanut butter cracks for him, an apple and an IPA for me). The next morning, we broke camp early, rode over to a near by railroad museum to see the trains (they weren't open yet so we couldn't go in the cars), and were back home in time for a mid-morning birthday party.

Some thoughts:
- This was a last minute idea. In the future, to speed up departure, I'll pack up the night before.
- Eating a quick dinner at home before we left meant we didn't have to bring food or cooking equipment for dinner. We packed sandwiches for a cold breakfast.
- My cat food can alcohol stove worked great for heating up coffee in the morning. I made this stove last year, but this was the first time I got around to using it.
- My two hours of cycling got me to a park right next to an interstate. Great. Next time, I'll go a little further to get away from the all night traffic.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bike + camping = awesome
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
Way to go! What a lucky boy your son is to have such a fun adventure.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:23:05 AM »
There is something very rewarding about getting to the campsite under your own power. I'm doing an adventure of my own shortly: "Petit train du Nord" trail (200 km in three days, camping every night). http://www.gobiking.ca/p-tit-train/

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
Way to go! What a lucky boy your son is to have such a fun adventure.

I think of myself as a lucky dad for having a son who enjoys the things I enjoy.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »
There is something very rewarding about getting to the campsite under your own power. I'm doing an adventure of my own shortly: "Petit train du Nord" trail (200 km in three days, camping every night). http://www.gobiking.ca/p-tit-train/

Sounds like a fun trip. I have fond memories of riding this trail as a kid (including the never ending (as I remember them) tunnels):

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/elroysparta/

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
S24O Discovered!  Great for you and your son.  They are so easy to do and you get so much out of them.  I think the excitement of the plan is half the fun.  Not worrying about too much is great (not much gear needed, no need to get time off work, etc.). Here are a few good links on that subject:

http://www.cyclelicio.us/2010/ghetto-bike-camping/

I like this one ^^ as it is so very simple.  I was going to link to Rivbike, but it discusses what gear you need or may want.  I find that you can do it with whatever you want - lots of gear and gadgets, or simply something to cover your body to keep the mosquitos from feeding on you.  I have done all and prefer the minimalist way.

http://www.bikecommuters.com/2008/06/24/what-is-a-s24o-only-the-greatest-thing-ever/

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
When you run out of obvious places to camp within a day's journey, there is always stealth camping!  http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=1385

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
When you run out of obvious places to camp within a day's journey, there is always stealth camping!  http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=1385

I've looked for dispersed camping areas in my area, but haven't found any. I agree that they would be ideal.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »

I do that from my motorcycle using my tent, but really want a hammock. I was thinking it would also work in my boat. Now I sleep on the deck and can get wet if it really pours. Worse part is the bugs. I sleep with a mosquito net on my head all night when in the Everglades but I still get bit, and the noseeums eat me alive all night.  Thought I could hang it from bow to stearn.

Taking off son for two weeks on the motorcycle and could use the hammock for better stealth camping (once I place the motorcycle in a safe place).

Just can't justify the cost though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:59:52 PM by Rollin »

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »
I did a 60 mile section of the Katy Trail in February (or was it March) with some friends.  I have some of the stronger legs in the group so I was voluntold to carry the 6 person tent and a few other things.  Anyway, we camped for two nights.  On Friday night we started out in 70 degree weather.  We woke up on Sunday morning to snow on our tent and high 20s.  Luckily we had all brought wool socks and technical warm clothes, just in case. 

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »

I do that from my motorcycle using my tent, but really want a hammock. I was thinking it would also work in my boat. Now I sleep on the deck and can get wet if it really poors. Worse part is the bugs. I sleep with a mosquito net on my head all night when in the Everglades but I still get bit, and the noseeums eat me alive all night.  Thought I could hang it from bow to stearn.

Taking off son for two weeks on the motorcycle and could use the hammock for better stealth camping (once I place the motorcycle in a safe place).

Oh man I really want a hammock.  Sometimes I have back issues though (even though they say that's not a problem), and I sleep cold (even though they say there are ways around that...feels like the lower weight of the hammock would equal the amount of extra insulation I'd need to bring), and even though I'm perfectly happy with my tent...except for the fact that it's bright yellow.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »
voluntold

Neologism at it's finest!!  Thank you for my new "word" for the day.  I love it.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »

I do that from my motorcycle using my tent, but really want a hammock. I was thinking it would also work in my boat. Now I sleep on the deck and can get wet if it really poors. Worse part is the bugs. I sleep with a mosquito net on my head all night when in the Everglades but I still get bit, and the noseeums eat me alive all night.  Thought I could hang it from bow to stearn.

Oh man I really want a hammock.  Sometimes I have back issues though (even though they say that's not a problem), and I sleep cold (even though they say there are ways around that...feels like the lower weight of the hammock would equal the amount of extra insulation I'd need to bring), and even though I'm perfectly happy with my tent...except for the fact that it's bright yellow.

I was looking at the Hennessy hammocks and they are about the same weight as my Hubba by MSR (3 lbs).

I was mainly looking for more places to camp. Back to the camping by bicycle, there is a park I like to ride to that has only primative sites, but they are right next to a swamp. The mosquitos are thick. If I can go anywhere, well I can go anywhere!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 10:01:26 PM »
So does your hubba not protect you adequately from mosquitoes?  My tent is a black diamond firstlight and the only other problem I have besides the bright yellow thing is that if I take the spouse with me during the summer it gets incredibly hot and claustrophobic.  So even more tempting than a hammock is a tent with an all-mesh layer.

gmp029

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 05:40:31 PM »

- My cat food can alcohol stove worked great for heating up coffee in the morning. I made this stove last year, but this was the first time I got around to using it.

This is brilliant! I just made one and, sure enough, it worked with my moka pot! Now I can make pre bike ride moka pot espresso at group rides!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 11:19:54 PM »
Neat! I need to work up fitness to bike to a campground near me.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 08:08:57 AM »
www.warmshowers.org  if you really want to boost your bicycle badassity!   Couch surfing for bike tourists, globally. We did a month in Germany with one hostel night and one airport hotel at the end of the trip!  The rest of the month was camping or staying at welcoming strangers homes.  We have hosted a dozen people at our home since.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:13:54 AM by Heckler »

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »

I do that from my motorcycle using my tent, but really want a hammock. I was thinking it would also work in my boat. Now I sleep on the deck and can get wet if it really pours. Worse part is the bugs. I sleep with a mosquito net on my head all night when in the Everglades but I still get bit, and the noseeums eat me alive all night.  Thought I could hang it from bow to stearn.

Another moto rider here. I usually ride up to Idaho every summer to visit my sis (from CA) and stay in hotels, but this year I'll be camping. bought saddlebags and camping gear on sale. Really looking forward to it. The thing is, I can get a first class room for $40 an night (sis works for a hotel chain), so it will take me a long time to pay off the camping gear. but to be honest, I'd really prefer to stay out of most towns as it is.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 09:38:11 AM »
Biking is mustachian. Camping is mustachian. Put them together and you get a heck of a fun weekend.

Heck yeah! I did the Katy Trail - 250 mi rail trail here in MO - over 5 days a while back (50 mi/day) and camped every night. It was an amazing experience and made me want to do more bike touring!

kiwiozearlyretirement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »
This is awesome!

We have done several trips with 2 boys aged 3-4 and 6-7. We even stealth camped at a rural playground off a rail trail. No-one said a thing as we put the tent up after dark and packed up at breakfast time. We seem to need a fair bit of stuff though. tent, inflatable mats, sleeping bags and small cooker. and one of us is towing the 4 year old. I think in total our weight was 25 kg of luggage but we also tow a 15kg child on a 12 kg bike with a 4 kg tow device. I have used lots of small airline bags attached to various parts of the frame and handlebars with velcro (rather than spend dollars on expensive frame bags). but we did fork out for fancy ortlieb panniers to avoid all our stuff being wet nightmares.

We have found hills a bit of a killer especially if the trail is rough. being in first gear towing a trailer bike up a relentless hill can get monotonous. We have been looking at e bikes but as yet cannot find the perfect one. We figure we just need one e bike as a workhorse to tow the child and carry the bulk of the gear. needs to have good range as in rural areas you don't always have a power point to charge up. Also we worry about the weight in case you break down/battery flat and you have to actually ride it. having a 25kg bike = no fun. ebikes are getting lighter and lighter.

I really admire these guys ecycletourists.com as they are really seeing a lot in 18 months of cycling. there are heaps of blogs of families doing it also. some have done amazing trips.

our primary thing is we don't cycle on the road. Just too dangerous in Australia. So we are limited to trails and the footpath.

we can't access all the trails from our house (without cycling a fair distance in one day) so sometimes take the train or the car and bike racks to the nearest entry point. we even did a bike trip on a fantastic urban trail (30km) along a waterfront and river to a beachside suburb and then stayed at the camp ground seeing the local sights. we could have seen the same stuff via a car day tip but it was much more of an adventure. We try to limit the rides to 20-30 km a day to make sure there is ample time to stop explore and muck around. kids don't tolerate riding for 8 hours a day.
kids are also not very tough with cycling in the rain.  good weather makes a difference

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
Badass awesomesauce!!