Author Topic: Bank account churning: how to make $1600 in a year by being organized  (Read 381759 times)

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bank account churning: how to make $1600 in a year by being organized
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2017, 06:25:21 PM »
Looks like your child has to be 14 to open an account and then you have to be a co owner.  Nevermind.

billybob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »
I have a chase $300 coupon if you need one.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »
My question, is it legal to open this account for my child?  I have 2 kids and I could just repeat the same procedure to earn them 200$ each moving the same funds around.  Has anyone tried this or know more about the legality of opening a savings account for a 4 and 6 year old?

You can try. The one time I tried was Santander. The online application stopped me when it saw the age was under 18. I imagine you might run into that with anything that is going to give you a nice bonus?

sleepyjen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »
I'm on track at this point for $450 from Santander checking accounts, $150 from Chase Freedom, and $200 from a Wells Fargo Cash Wise visa. Woohoo! $800, essentially free.

I'm thinking about travel cards next, but I have no experience or knowledge about how miles work. I'm betting there's a thread around here somewhere :)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »
I'm on track at this point for $450 from Santander checking accounts, $150 from Chase Freedom, and $200 from a Wells Fargo Cash Wise visa. Woohoo! $800, essentially free.

I'm thinking about travel cards next, but I have no experience or knowledge about how miles work. I'm betting there's a thread around here somewhere :)

There is a wealth of information and many sites dedicated to CC churning (travel cards). You'll find some here and there on MMM, but the more in depth ones can be found elsewhere.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
I just broke $3,000 for the year so far with a $150 bonus from Bank of America, and I have another $900 currently pending.  I think I might get paid $600 more before the end of the month, which means I will be paid $1550 in June alone.  My goal was to make the same amount as my property tax ($3800) for the year, but looks like I will blow that out of the water.

Anyone else care to share their almost-midyear numbers?

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
I am at $2,550 for bank accounts.  I have PNC and 5/3 later this year left so I'll be over 3K in 2017.   

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »
Wow.  Quite impressed.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2017, 05:54:56 AM »
I may have stalled out at $1525. PNC denied me when I tried to open with them, I'm guessing too many accounts. Will try 5/3 Bank next.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2017, 06:25:31 AM »
I may have stalled out at $1525. PNC denied me when I tried to open with them, I'm guessing too many accounts. Will try 5/3 Bank next.

How many accounts have you opened in the last year?  I have opened 12 personal accounts and two business accounts since last July, and haven't gotten any rejections for too many accounts.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2017, 02:55:13 PM »

How many accounts have you opened in the last year?  I have opened 12 personal accounts and two business accounts since last July, and haven't gotten any rejections for too many accounts.

Wow, that's a lot! I've opened 5, started doing this in Jan 2017. After applying online, PNC site said the only account I was eligible to open with them was a credit card.

Do you try to space out your opening dates? Maybe my 5 in 5 months is too many, at least for PNC, or some banks are getting wise to this bonus stuff.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2017, 02:59:07 PM »
I don't space them out, I've opened four in June alone.  All checking accounts seem to report to Chexsystems, but it is good to know that PNC might actually be looking at your Chexsystems report.

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2017, 07:25:32 PM »
I just started earlier this year, I've pulled in $600 so far.

Discover x 2 x $100
Capital1 x 2 x $200

Pending: $900

M&T x 2 x $150
TD bank x 2 x $300

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:19 AM »
Started less than 2 months ago. I've earned $500 so far paid out with $900 pending. Still doing a bit of CC churning as well since we have several trips coming up in the next year or so. 

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
I've opened up quite a few accounts now and have earned $1675 YTD. I'm now to the point where I want to close these accounts - is there anything in particular I should know when closing them? Can I do it online, over the phone, or do I have to go to a physical branch?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2017, 05:01:40 PM »
I've opened up quite a few accounts now and have earned $1675 YTD. I'm now to the point where I want to close these accounts - is there anything in particular I should know when closing them? Can I do it online, over the phone, or do I have to go to a physical branch?

It is different for every bank.  I would try in the following order:

1.  Online chat if possible 
2. Secure Message
3. Call

I don't think I've seen any banks that require going in branch to cancel.

JohnGalt79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2017, 11:34:25 PM »

As mentioned, each is different.  This might be helpful... datapoints of methods per bank: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/complete-list-of-ways-to-close-bank-accounts-at-each-bank/

JL9berg13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »

And you can sometimes fund bank accounts with cc's and not have it count as a cash advance, meaning you can use these bank account bonuses to help you MS for cc churning as well.

Sorry for being a noob, but what's MS?

Thanks!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »

And you can sometimes fund bank accounts with cc's and not have it count as a cash advance, meaning you can use these bank account bonuses to help you MS for cc churning as well.

Sorry for being a noob, but what's MS?

Thanks!

No need to apologize - we're all here to learn.

Manufactured Spending. As in spending on your credit card without really spending money.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »
Anyone who has gotten a PNC Bonus: how long has it taken to post? I'm past the 60 days now and still nothing. I was told by a CSR that I met the requirements so I'm not sure what the hold up is and I'm worried I'm not going to get it. (Did a DOC faux DD using PayPal so I don't want to call and tip them off if possible).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »

Discover x 2 x $100
Capital1 x 2 x $200

M&T x 2 x $150
TD bank x 2 x $300
I thought TD bank was once per lifetime! How are you managing 2x?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »

Discover x 2 x $100
Capital1 x 2 x $200

M&T x 2 x $150
TD bank x 2 x $300

Based on how every bonus is x2, I'd guess that Subl stache is counting his/her spouse's bonuses as well

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2017, 06:28:22 AM »
Anyone who has gotten a PNC Bonus: how long has it taken to post? I'm past the 60 days now and still nothing. I was told by a CSR that I met the requirements so I'm not sure what the hold up is and I'm worried I'm not going to get it. (Did a DOC faux DD using PayPal so I don't want to call and tip them off if possible).

I opened a PNC account on Feb 13, completed $5k DD on March 31, completed the 10 debit transactions, and got the bonus on April 14th.

You completed all of the debit transactions?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2017, 07:18:54 AM »

Also got denied by 5/3 bank applying online, and no branch nearby. At least others are having better luck!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »

I opened a PNC account on Feb 13, completed $5k DD on March 31, completed the 10 debit transactions, and got the bonus on April 14th.

You completed all of the debit transactions?
I did! And a branch worker even told me that I had completed all of the requirements. I'll have to go in branch next week probably to see what's up.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »
I'm a noob to churning (cc) so please excuse my ignorance. I've opened 3-4 cc's this year for the cash back. I noticed my credit score keeps dropping as I open new accounts. I knew this would happen going into it. My question is, how do you guys keep your score up when churning? It seems if it gets too low you'll get denied at some point. I do put most (90%) of my spending on the cards, I'm not sure what else I can do to keep my score relatively high?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »
I'm a noob to churning (cc) so please excuse my ignorance. I've opened 3-4 cc's this year for the cash back. I noticed my credit score keeps dropping as I open new accounts. I knew this would happen going into it. My question is, how do you guys keep your score up when churning? It seems if it gets too low you'll get denied at some point. I do put most (90%) of my spending on the cards, I'm not sure what else I can do to keep my score relatively high?

This may not still work, but there is something call “App-O-Rama”: doing all of your applications for the season/quarter all at once very very close together. The idea is that it might not ding your score as much. I'm not sure if this is still relevant.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
Bank accounts shouldn't usually hard pull (check DoC for data points). I've found that my score dips when I get a new card but after a month or so ends up even higher. What's your current score? I am not super hardcore, I open about 4 accounts per year, but have found that my score is actually increasing with additional lines of credit.

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »

Discover x 2 x $100
Capital1 x 2 x $200

M&T x 2 x $150
TD bank x 2 x $300

Based on how every bonus is x2, I'd guess that Subl stache is counting his/her spouse's bonuses as well

Correct, I sign my wife up for each one I do.

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2017, 08:48:30 PM »

Discover x 2 x $100
Capital1 x 2 x $200

M&T x 2 x $150
TD bank x 2 x $300

Update, I've been paid the M&T bonuses.  They have multiple codes out so I signed up for 2 more.

Total Earned 2017 YTD = $900

Total Pending = $900 (M&T x 2 x $150, TD Bank x 2 x $300)

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »

This may not still work, but there is something call “App-O-Rama”: doing all of your applications for the season/quarter all at once very very close together. The idea is that it might not ding your score as much. I'm not sure if this is still relevant.

Hmm thanks, I may try that route.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2017, 08:56:49 PM »
Bank accounts shouldn't usually hard pull (check DoC for data points). I've found that my score dips when I get a new card but after a month or so ends up even higher. What's your current score? I am not super hardcore, I open about 4 accounts per year, but have found that my score is actually increasing with additional lines of credit.

Currently, it's 786. Before I started churning it was 8-something. It has gone up 3 points since last month, so you're right about the month to month thing. I'll keep tabs on it. I would do some bank account churning as well, but my credit union is kind of the "hub" of my financial life, I'm not sure I want to switch my direct deposit up.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2017, 11:00:34 PM »

Currently, it's 786. Before I started churning it was 8-something. It has gone up 3 points since last month, so you're right about the month to month thing. I'll keep tabs on it. I would do some bank account churning as well, but my credit union is kind of the "hub" of my financial life, I'm not sure I want to switch my direct deposit up.

I think people fuss too much sometimes about their credit score.

Generally speaking, anything above 760, sometimes as low as 740, will get you the best interest rates on mortgages and the like. So the fact that it dropped from 8XX to 786 is inconsequential.

Secondly, unless you're planning on getting a loan anytime soon, I wouldn't care about your credit score one bit. So long as you don't care about getting loans, your credit score is an asset that can be used to get you credit cards with juicy signup bonuses. So long as you keep getting approved for credit cards and can meet the minimum spend requirements, I'd just keep applying for more cards. If/when you start getting denied for cards is when you know you should slow down.

And if you are getting a mortgage in the near future, you probably shouldn't be cc churning anyways since while the cc signup bonuses can be lucrative, even a small increase in your mortgage rate can easily add up to tens of thousands of dollars which would easily dwarf credit card signup bonuses.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2017, 05:29:21 AM »

I don't do multiple CCs apps. I generally open one about every 3-4 months. It's easier to keep track of spending that way. Also I have to do a bit of MS since my spending is really low. Less chance of Serve getting shit down as well. I've noticed my score will dip a bit after each CC app. But it always rebounds within a couple months. In fact CC churning has put my score higher than it's ever been. I wouldn't worry about your score, unless you have some big purchase coming up and need to use credit.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2017, 05:30:42 AM »

I'm not quite past the 60 day period yet but it's coming up. No bonus for me yet and I've long ago completed the requirements. I'll report back any changes.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2017, 05:54:33 AM »

Oh I'm the same way. I don't really like switching banks. If you look at DoC though it will tell you what codes as direct deposit so you don't necessarily have to switch your paycheck deposits. Often times, a push from a particular bank or brokerage/money market account will code as direct deposits for the bonus.

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »

Oh I'm the same way. I don't really like switching banks. If you look at DoC though it will tell you what codes as direct deposit so you don't necessarily have to switch your paycheck deposits. Often times, a push from a particular bank or brokerage/money market account will code as direct deposits for the bonus.

Yes^, I haven't changed my main bank once, that would be way too disruptive to my life for a few hundred dollars. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2017, 06:16:57 AM »
Wanted to mention the $300 BofA targeted checking. Almost missed this since it's not featured on Best Bank Account Bonus list, but if you have any old BofA credit cards, you'll likely be eligible.

Now at $1,825 for the year, net less estimated taxes of course. And requested Chexsystem report to see if there's something on there that caused PNC and 5/3 to deny new accounts.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2017, 08:06:53 AM »
Wanted to mention the $300 BofA targeted checking. Almost missed this since it's not featured on Best Bank Account Bonus list, but if you have any old BofA credit cards, you'll likely be eligible.

Now at $1,825 for the year, net less estimated taxes of course. And requested Chexsystem report to see if there's something on there that caused PNC and 5/3 to deny new accounts.

I went for the $200 business bonus. It's an easy one to get with only 1K in deposits required. Might go for the $300 offer in a bit. I've got a lot of money spread around right now. 

UPDATE: Got my PNC $200 bonus. Almost a full 2 months after account opening.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
New $200 US Bank bonus. Easy requirements. Can fund initial $500 deposit with CC

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »

As mentioned, each is different.  This might be helpful... datapoints of methods per bank: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/complete-list-of-ways-to-close-bank-accounts-at-each-bank/

Thanks for the link! I just found out yesterday that my Associated Bank account was closed by them. Guess that means it's time to open another one (since it's been 90 days), right?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2017, 08:25:51 AM »
New $200 US Bank bonus. Easy requirements. Can fund initial $500 deposit with CC
Opened it two days ago, still in review. Not sure what's taking so long... I need it for their Altitude card.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2017, 10:56:08 AM »
Opened it two days ago, still in review. Not sure what's taking so long... I need it for their Altitude card.

Saw quite a few DPs pending review and several denied. I was somewhat hesitant but was approved right away.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »

Saw quite a few DPs pending review and several denied. I was somewhat hesitant but was approved right away.
Yeah I don't mind being denied immediately, at least I get an opportunity to plead my case. It's the pending that weighs on my mind for multiple days that I don't like.

SubL stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »
Update:
I received my second M&T bonus this week.  This is one of the easiest to do and pays out quick, has a 180 day ETF though, promo was just extended to 9/30 FYI.

I was in Tampa on business so I dropped in 5th/3rd Bank and signed up for their checking promotion (must have branch within 50 miles - so online didn't work for me).  Unfortunately I couldn't double up with my wife making one too.

Discover $200
CapitalOne $400
M&T Bank $600
Total earned/received = $1,200

TD Bank $600
5th/3rd $200
Total Pending = $800

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2017, 07:28:33 PM »
M&T is stating it's out of my region. Any workaround to that?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »

I am out of the region as well, but it doesn't matter, just go to their site and select the EZ Choice Checking.  Put in either QC or QD as the promo code.  After your bonus posts, open up another account using the other promo code.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »

I am out of the region as well, but it doesn't matter, just go to their site and select the EZ Choice Checking.  Put in either QC or QD as the promo code.  After your bonus posts, open up another account using the other promo code.

Thank you!!

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2017, 04:09:05 PM »

thanks for posting about the $300 bofa bonus.  I just checked in with my old bofa card and it shows the offer for me.  Anyone know if DD my husbands paycheck will be OK if I open checking account in my name? 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2017, 05:45:01 AM »

Thank you!!

+1

Awesome tip, thank you! Did your initial account funding count as the $100 direct deposit or did you have to do a separate $100 transfer?  Were you required to mail in the signature card to get the bonus?