Author Topic: Chevrolet Volt Purchase  (Read 484 times)

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
Chevrolet Volt Purchase
« on: April 12, 2024, 08:01:50 AM »
Our youngest son is heading to school...and taking my wife's Toyota with him. On Tuesday we bought a 1 owner 2014 Volt with less than 100K for $8900. This was at a no haggle dealer, however they did not have the charging cord, so we agreed on a $270 deduction. On top of that, the car qualifies for a 30% tax credit of $2,670. All in, we are at $5,960 (not including tax & registration).

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Chevrolet Volt Purchase
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 01:35:14 PM »
Very cool. You may have some adjustments on long drives, but the infrastructure is in place now, and, honestly, if it takes an hour to charge you up to the next stop, that's probably a good thing. After all, getting up to pump gas, get another coffee after you pee out the last one, and take a lap around the snack aisle isn't optimal for a body.

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 04:30:37 AM »
Nice, that's some cheap, efficient transportation. Congrats

SmashYourSmartPhone

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 07:23:06 PM »
Very cool. You may have some adjustments on long drives...

No.

The Volt is a plug in hybrid with about 30-35 miles on the Gen1, and a gas engine for long distance travel.  It doesn't have fast charging.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 07:11:11 AM »
Congrats! I still love my 2014 Ford plug-in hybrid 10 years later!

Out of curiosity, how's your Volt's electric range today? Looks like they originally had around 38 miles, and I'm wondering how much the range has degraded over 10 years. Mine started out with about 28 miles of electric range, but today, I might be able to get 18 out of it on a good day. Hoping it will bump back up a bit in the summer, but it will never be what it was back then. I still plan to keep it 'til the wheels fall off.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 07:49:29 AM »
Congrats! I still love my 2014 Ford plug-in hybrid 10 years later!

Out of curiosity, how's your Volt's electric range today? Looks like they originally had around 38 miles, and I'm wondering how much the range has degraded over 10 years. Mine started out with about 28 miles of electric range, but today, I might be able to get 18 out of it on a good day. Hoping it will bump back up a bit in the summer, but it will never be what it was back then. I still plan to keep it 'til the wheels fall off.

After having had the car for a couple of weeks, I feel safe saying the range has not degraded at all. Last Saturday, my wife ran her usual errands plus a run out to a specialty store way east of us. She started with a full charge and it hit at least 38 miles before the engine kicked on. This was stop and go city, plus some highway driving and the weather was cold.

One of the reasons we went with the Volt was because of the battery management system. Say what you will about Chevy's quality now, but they did it right in the Volt. It's got active cooling and the charging system doesn't allow it to drain completely.

There is a well known Volt that has done over 477,000 miles. The owner thought the battery had finally dies but it turns out it was something else and the battery is fine.

https://www.gm-volt.com/threads/sparkie-lives-on.331191/

Cautiously optimistic about the purchase!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 08:19:05 AM »
That's fantastic!