Author Topic: Baby steps  (Read 3171 times)

MashedBanana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Baby steps
« on: November 07, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
Have been lurking for awhile, but first post.

I've gotten my savings rate up to about 50% over the past year! The bank account is starting to look pretty good.

Last night instead of eating out and dropping a small fortune for two main meals and a few drinks we biked to the local fish and chip shop and had burgers and chips at home (not super healthy!). Baby steps.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
Re: Baby steps
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
Baby steps are awesome!  So is your savings rate.  :)  Keep it up!

NWOutlier

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »
Nice!

Once I understood the power of spending less over making more, it took about 1 year to slowly change things, track savings rate, push it higher and higher, put it on auto-pilot, then poof! it's working! it's like a little money machine!  keep it going!

Grats to you!

Steve (NWOutlier)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
Awesome.

I think your 'I like it local and simple' approach, with biking and all, is worth more than eliminating all eating out, at least to start, It is what sustains new habits.  Assuming your hair is not aflame, of course!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:28:15 AM »
Sounds like you took a fun activity, eating out at an expensive place, and made it into an even more fun activity.  That is a good example of why mustachians don't feel like we are suffering to save money. 

MashedBanana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »
My hair is not aflame! Yay! No credit card debt or any other debt apart from student loan debt. Where I'm from there is no interest on student loans, so I'm making the minimum repayments and diverting everything else into savings.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:06:27 PM »
Fantastic!

I say that because good habits make for good outcomes. In my case I am FI but just this week I was changing my $10 a month cell phone plan into a $5 a month plan.. yes a tiny change and won't make any difference to my financial life at all.. But do that 10 times over with finding better deals on car insurance, ripping out the landline and shaving (in my case) $16 a month off the internet cost and it all adds up.

Besides a $5 a month saving pays for next years salmon fishing license..:)

Good for you.. keep doing it..:)

Frank

MashedBanana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:34:35 PM »
Yea I've just changed my car insurance from full insurance to 3rd party which will save a little but each fortnight.

I've already got my 2015 budget written up, and I'm saving all the extra money I will earn next year from a modest pay rise. Yay for not succumbing to life style inflation