Author Topic: Australian mobile plan guide!  (Read 43989 times)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Australian mobile plan guide!
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2018, 11:10:05 PM »
My wife recently switched from Virgin to Vodafone through Kogan for 20% off via ebay for 365 day plans. She gets 7G a month data, unlimited local/national call for just over $13 a month. She's used it around Canberra, Sydney and in between with no issues at all. I'll be joining her in Jan when my phone contract with Virgin is completed.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »
Thanks for all your hard work, Dean.

I am currently sticking with ALDI and take the $15 a month prepaid pack. It now includes 1.5GB of data and the data will rollover each month to a cap of 30GB.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Got that mustache feeling.
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Right, I think itís probably time to bring this guide in to land.
[snip]
Peace *drops microphone*

Wise closing words have been snipped. Heed them, gentle readers.

Dean, it's been a pleasure all these years, and I appreciate your own efforts and our personal back and forth on this stuff. We had a good run.

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »
Right, I think itís probably time to bring this guide in to land.
[snip]
Peace *drops microphone*

Wise closing words have been snipped. Heed them, gentle readers.

Dean, it's been a pleasure all these years, and I appreciate your own efforts and our personal back and forth on this stuff. We had a good run.

Thanks Daley, I've also much appreciated our discussions and your advice/input.

After a bit of thought, whilst the guide with list of carriers/plans is more effort to maintain than I can be bothered sparing, I wonder if there's still some value in a discussion thread (this or a new one) here about these topics (from an Australian perspective/situation). Potentially the scope could change as a result, especially with the ongoing NBN rollout and with 5G on the horizon.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:20:05 PM by alsoknownasDean »

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2018, 10:51:33 PM »
I signed up to Kogan Mobile back in March when it was heavily discounted. The Vodafone network has generally been fine, I've seen over 200mbps from speedtests here in Melbourne, and coverage has been good (I did have a couple of small spots of missing coverage when on holiday but nothing major). I paid for the annual 16GB recharge, which I've found is far more than I tend to use, even when I went on holidays away from wifi, and this month I've barely used half of it despite doing a bunch of speedtests. I should have saved the $50 and gone for the 6GB (now 7GB).

I tried Google Play Music and Apple Music, and ended up going back to Spotify. The $11.99 for premium is a price I'm more than happy to pay.

What about home internet? How many of you have switched providers upon connecting to the NBN? The NBN hasn't yet arrived in my area, but I'll have probably moved before it arrives. For now I'll stick with my reliable iiNet ADSL.

Notch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2018, 05:06:57 AM »
What about home internet? How many of you have switched providers upon connecting to the NBN? The NBN hasn't yet arrived in my area, but I'll have probably moved before it arrives. For now I'll stick with my reliable iiNet ADSL.

I switched from paying Telstra $75pm for 100GB of 12/1 ADSL2+, to paying Belong (Telstra) $50pm for 100GB of 12/1 NBN :)

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »
Who here has been lining up to pay $2000+ for the latest iPhone (iPhone XS Max 512GB is $2369AUD)? No-one? Good.

Crazy how expensive the things are nowadays.

middo

• Bristles
  • Learning.
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »
I'm hoping for an Australian specific perspective here:

We bought my daughter a phone on a plan 2 years ago, a Samsung S7 on a $65 a month Optus plan.  The plan has just recently expired and the payments are due to go up to $85 per month.  The phone is in good condition and she has no need or desire to upgrade it any time soon.

Her plan has unlimited calls, texts and 7 GB of data, which she has only once gone over when the uni wifi was down for a couple of weeks.  (She is at uni interstate hence we pay for her phone so we can contact her and feel she is safer).

Looking at whistle-out, it appears we can get similar plans for $486 for 24 months - about $20 per month, also on the Optus network through Southern Phone.  We are happy to use Optus or Telstra, but not Vodaphone as she will do some country driving over the next couple of years.

My question is really this - should we be looking at a 24 month contract?  Will we be missing out on hugely better contracts in 12 months time?  Or should we just bite the bullet and make the change?  Ideas anyone?

ozbeach

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2018, 06:40:40 PM »
I'm hoping for an Australian specific perspective here:

We bought my daughter a phone on a plan 2 years ago, a Samsung S7 on a $65 a month Optus plan.  The plan has just recently expired and the payments are due to go up to $85 per month.  The phone is in good condition and she has no need or desire to upgrade it any time soon.

Her plan has unlimited calls, texts and 7 GB of data, which she has only once gone over when the uni wifi was down for a couple of weeks.  (She is at uni interstate hence we pay for her phone so we can contact her and feel she is safer).

Looking at whistle-out, it appears we can get similar plans for $486 for 24 months - about $20 per month, also on the Optus network through Southern Phone.  We are happy to use Optus or Telstra, but not Vodaphone as she will do some country driving over the next couple of years.

My question is really this - should we be looking at a 24 month contract?  Will we be missing out on hugely better contracts in 12 months time?  Or should we just bite the bullet and make the change?  Ideas anyone?

I'm on a pre-pay Aldi plan (which uses the Telstra network): $15 per month with unlimited calls and texts and 2GB data that rolls over if you don't use it.  I haven't researched in a while, but there are slightly more expensive plans with Boost and lots of others. $20 per month doesn't seem too bad, except for the lock in. We're getting to the point of diminishing returns at these prices.

Notch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »

You shouldn't have to lock yourself into a contract. 

I'm very happy with Belong, which is a cheap subsidiary of Telstra.  They have a $25pm plan with 5GB of data and unlimited calls/texts.  Best part is there is no auto data charges if you go over, it just limits the speed and then you can buy more data if you need.  And any unused data automatically rolls over and accumulates each month.

Oh and here's my referral code for a $20 credit ;)
IAFB8K15C

middo

• Bristles
  • Learning.
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2018, 07:15:16 PM »

I'm on a pre-pay Aldi plan (which uses the Telstra network): $15 per month with unlimited calls and texts and 2GB data that rolls over if you don't use it.  I haven't researched in a while, but there are slightly more expensive plans with Boost and lots of others. $20 per month doesn't seem too bad, except for the lock in. We're getting to the point of diminishing returns at these prices.

You shouldn't have to lock yourself into a contract. 

I'm very happy with Belong, which is a cheap subsidiary of Telstra.  They have a $25pm plan with 5GB of data and unlimited calls/texts.  Best part is there is no auto data charges if you go over, it just limits the speed and then you can buy more data if you need.  And any unused data automatically rolls over and accumulates each month.

Oh and here's my referral code for a $20 credit ;)
IAFB8K15C

Thanks.  My thoughts were that I should be looking at a shorter contract, so this focussed the mind to see what else is available.  I appreciate the feedback.

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »
I wouldn't bother with a contract at all, especially if the data usage isn't high and you're not purchasing a new handset.

Telstra have just updated their prepaid offerings. The new Prepaid Max is great value.

Consider the prepaid offerings of Telstra and Optus themselves. $30 per 28 days gets 10GB (Optus) or 8GB (Telstra), with the ability to continue to roll-over unused data (Telstra call it a Data Bank, and Optus offer the same), and some bonus data for the first few recharges. The flexibility of prepaid beats a contract any day :)

Otherwise you'll be able to get a similar amount of data for a little bit less (5GB for $20 and 10GB for about $25 is doable for Optus MVNOs, less if you buy in bulk from MVNOs like Catch Connect).

I bought a 12 month Kogan Mobile recharge back in March. The service has been fine, but I'd rather be able to change carriers where needed. I'm planning a short trip to Tassie this month and I doubt Vodafone reception will be great.

Is the flexibility worth another ten or so dollars a month? Up to you :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 07:54:38 PM by alsoknownasDean »

Gremlin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2018, 06:22:42 PM »

I bought a 12 month Kogan Mobile recharge back in March. The service has been fine, but I'd rather be able to change carriers where needed. I'm planning a short trip to Tassie this month and I doubt Vodafone reception will be great.

I'm on the Kogan pre-paid deal.  We just got back from a bit of time in Tassie.  Coverage was perfectly fine most of where we went.  The north-east corner (Scamander, St Helens) was a blackout zone, as was the unpopulated west coast.  But pretty much everywhere else was fine.  Having said that, we weren't doing the Overland Track.

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2018, 05:10:44 AM »

I'm on the Kogan pre-paid deal.  We just got back from a bit of time in Tassie.  Coverage was perfectly fine most of where we went.  The north-east corner (Scamander, St Helens) was a blackout zone, as was the unpopulated west coast.  But pretty much everywhere else was fine.  Having said that, we weren't doing the Overland Track.

Thanks for that, yeah I actually just got back from there (lovely place and will be back). In and around the Hobart-Launceston-Devonport-Burnie corridor Vodafone was generally fine, but outside of that things were a bit patchy, although it seems that there was still a bit of service (a relic of the old roaming agreement with Optus, voice and very limited data speeds) in a number of towns on the west coast. Wasn't a big deal. Surprisingly no coverage at all at Cradle Mountain or Port Arthur, given the number of tourists who may be more likely to use Vodafone than locals.

The new Kogan offers are brilliant value. I'm having a tough time of deciding whether to sign up for another year with them, go for month to month or quarter to quarter, or take up one of the SIM-only deals with Optus or Vodafone directly (poor Telstra reception at my workplace, and my phone is ex-Optus so I'd get VoLTE if I went with them). It may depend on if I decide to set up fixed internet after I move next year or just use mobile data.

The last six months on my ADSL I've used (going backwards from October) 58.7GB, 50.1GB, 52.6GB, 46.4GB, 54GB and 35.8GB. If mobile data speeds weren't arse here (usually about 5mbps even on 4G) I'd probably give ADSL the flick now.

Does anyone tether as their primary internet connection?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:12:49 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2018, 03:51:14 AM »
I just signed up with Kogan as my Virgin contract just expired and they're a sinking ship. $18.60 a month for 13GB data, much better value than I was getting with Virgin and they were cheaper than Optus/Vodaphone/Telstra.