Author Topic: After an 80 pound weight loss 1.5 years ago........  (Read 2640 times)

Harrington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
After an 80 pound weight loss 1.5 years ago........
« on: October 31, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »
I have managed to stay within a few pounds of my goal weight (175). I weigh myself every morning and that has really helped. I've failed miserably in the past to keep the weight off but I have finally figured it out. So don't ever give up if at first you fail.

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: After an 80 pound weight loss 1.5 years ago........
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »
That is quite an accomplishment, you should be proud of yourself!  Great job

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
yasss

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
Excellent. Congratulations!

Yes, it's totally doable. I've been maintaining a 70-lb loss for three months now (four?)

I was thinking about my previous failures in losing weight, the other day, and realizing that they were mostly necessary parts of the process. The last one was the one that "took," but it only worked because I of things I figured out or habits I modified in the previous attempts. Somewhere along the way, in the course of my "failures,"  I 1) learned to keep a kitchen in running order, 2) stopped drinking sugar-water in any form, and 3) stopped binge-eating altogether. All those things had to be in place before this last run was going to work.

Plus of course I just had to clear away wrong notions about how I might be able to do it, by trying them out. There's no way I could have known ahead of time that "just eating healthy and exercising" wasn't going to work for me, or that keto would suddenly blow up after four months of seeming to work beautifully. I had to run the experiments.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 05:11:17 PM »
Great!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
Congrats! After I pulled the FIRE-pin I embarked upon my own journey to wellness. Lost a quarter of my body weight. That was 4 years ago. Today, on the very day I am typing this, I'm probably the healthiest I've ever been....or very close to.

It's a hard road, but I truly believe it's the best gift one can give themselves.

However....I truly believe that some may equate numbers on a scale as a barometer of overall health. I've seen some recent examples of scale-fixation pop up on the forum. I offer forth this opinion as one who used to weigh himself daily, but I recognized it eventually as perhaps not the healthiest mindset. But it is easy to get caught up in the rapidly diminishing numbers. I have now gotten to the point where I rarely go near a scale - I judge my health by how easily my body moves performing the movements that encompass my varies hobbies and interests.

Don't mean to take away from your accomplishments with that note of caution, OP.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »
Excellent. Congratulations!

Yes, it's totally doable. I've been maintaining a 70-lb loss for three months now (four?)

I was thinking about my previous failures in losing weight, the other day, and realizing that they were mostly necessary parts of the process. The last one was the one that "took," but it only worked because I of things I figured out or habits I modified in the previous attempts. Somewhere along the way, in the course of my "failures,"  I 1) learned to keep a kitchen in running order, 2) stopped drinking sugar-water in any form, and 3) stopped binge-eating altogether. All those things had to be in place before this last run was going to work.

Plus of course I just had to clear away wrong notions about how I might be able to do it, by trying them out. There's no way I could have known ahead of time that "just eating healthy and exercising" wasn't going to work for me, or that keto would suddenly blow up after four months of seeming to work beautifully. I had to run the experiments.

Good info here.

I found a show on Netflix last night called "Ask the Doctor".  It's Australian.  I watched a couple of episodes.  The first was on weight loss - new discoveries, that sort of thing.

One interesting thing to me is that they profiled someone from The Biggest Loser Australia who has kept the weight off.  And asked her what she changed because most people don't keep the weight off.  (Also: she's not thin, she's still probably a bit overweight, but I think has lost a bunch of weight.  40 kilos?)

She obviously had to drastically change her eating habits and lifestyle.  She also exercises 2-3 hours a day.  As part of the show, the doctors pointed at that for most people who have been overweight - they have to have a much higher activity level OR a much lower calorie intake - on the order of 300 calories or more per day - to maintain their end weight - when compared to someone who has never been overweight.

I know I've made similar points on other weight threads, but it bears repeating.  Someone who has lost a significant amount of weight, even if their ending weight is still "overweight" has worked very hard AND HAS TO CONTINUE working very hard to maintain that weight.  Far harder than someone who has never been overweight.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 02:34:35 AM »
Congratulations, I have maintained as well a 60lb weight loss going on about 4 years after yo-yoing around for about 20 years trying all sorts of fad diets and shit. Now its easy. I stay within a 5lb buffer and enjoy myself eat what I want couple times a week. No diet per say other than I do only eat in about an 8 hour window. Usually 11am-7pm. But as time went on I dont think about any of it really anymore.