Author Topic: A gripping tale of three office chairs  (Read 2723 times)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
A gripping tale of three office chairs
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
This is my wife's badassity, but too badass not to share!

Our main chair-actors:

Chair A: My dad's old chair. An overly expensive fancy-pants chair that was broken on stem from years of having a mobility challenged man drop his full weight into it. Mom couldn't toss it when Dad died because "it cost so much when new." It ended up in our basement storage with vague thoughts of trying to fix it someday.

Chair B: This was brought into the marriage by wife. It's at least 17 years old. The base and stem are built like a tank, but the back and arms had fallen off over the years, resulting in an odd-looking swivel stool.

Chair C: My beloved chair. Black leather and armless, purchased for $5 at Goodwill some years ago. Unfortunately, the plastic cracked and a wheel would randomly fall off when sitting upon the chair. Exciting but not great for work. The padding in the seat was also quite flattened, which could be tough on the derriere.

Were our three heroes destined for dumps-ville, or could a menage et trois save them?

Chair A and Chair B hit it off first. With a deft turn of a few tools, the seat of chair A replaced the worn out seat of Chair B. It was a match made in heaven! Wife's chair has the overly expensive comfy seat of one chair, and the tank-like base of the other.

The wheel part of the base of Chair A was also in good condition, so a few more twists of the wrench and Chair A had a second lover -- Chair C. Now my chair can wheel all over the house if need be.

But! Chair B was jealous of Chair A and Chair C, so decided it needed in on the action. (Did I mention Chair C is a leather wrapped hottie?) Wife stripped the foam padding out of the remaining seat from Chair B, and added it to the broken down padding in Chair C, thus blending all three chairs together into two like-new chairs ready to ride off into the sunset together!

All we are left with now are a few broken parts -- old wheel base, old base stem, and the remains of a seat. We saved the casters and gave the metal bits to a scout scrap metal fundraiser. The rest went out with the normal garbage.

Thus endeth our tale

dmmms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: A gripping tale of three office chairs
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
Bravo, sir! Bravo!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »
That is indeed very, very cool :)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 12:04:47 AM »
Now that's intolerance of waste! Awesome. And you got to avoid any potential disappointment that can away accompany something new.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 02:51:06 AM »
I bet the all enjoyed the lap dance afterwards :P

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 02:53:19 AM »
Well done.

Office chairs need to work and our way too expensive to buy new. And cheap ones are not very sturdy and very comfortable.
Our cheap one broke recently. It wouldn't stay up while sitting on it and it would sink down every 5 minutes.

We bought a second hand chair from a private person. It is a very good quality chair to start with, in a very good condition and it cost probably 7-8% of what a brand new such chair would cost. This is a so much better chair than our previous cheap Ikea chair.

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:24:02 AM »
Pictures or it didn't happen...

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »
A fine tale well told

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
What a little ingenuity will do! well done!!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
Very nice.  Reminds me of my dad's franken-lawnmower we had growing up.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »
This a great first half......

Next, I'd like to hear that the remaining metal was properly discarded into metal recycling along with any identifiable plastics.  If there's wood (probably particle board), that can be used to start a fire in the wood stove to heat the house!  (I actually had a story like this somewhere in MMM land)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
This a great first half......

Next, I'd like to hear that the remaining metal was properly discarded into metal recycling along with any identifiable plastics.  If there's wood (probably particle board), that can be used to start a fire in the wood stove to heat the house!  (I actually had a story like this somewhere in MMM land)

Ahem.

"We saved the casters and gave the metal bits to a scout scrap metal fundraiser."