Author Topic: A first for me  (Read 2455 times)

bcbaseballman

• Stubble
A first for me
« on: July 11, 2018, 07:15:17 AM »
Today was the first day that I have ever rode my bike to work. It is 10.5 miles and before I found this group I never thought that I would do that. Now that I have done it, it really was not a bad ride at all. It was about 77 degrees but there was 80% humidity. It took me right under an  hour to accomplish and I gave myself an extra 20 minutes to clean up and get ready for the day. Now we will see what the ride home is going to be like. It is suppose to be about 95 degrees here when I get off with about 45% humidity. Wish me luck. I will have saved about $3 in gas for the day doing this. and planning on doing it at least once a week for right now.

Thanks For Reading!
-David

JimmyFry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: A first for me
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 01:20:16 PM »
Congrats!  It's a wonderful thing to do - the "commute" becomes enjoyable instead of a fight with traffic and then there's no need to decompress when home.  Enjoy and keep it up!

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:00:44 PM »
Awesome!  Of course the best part is you are improving your health along the way!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:09:47 PM »
You saved more than $3 once you consider vehicle depreciation and maintenance. Depends on what you drive but I'd bet it's $5-7 for 21 miles. Not to mention indirect savings on health.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 05:53:15 AM »
Awesome, badass dude! The benefits are immeasurable. Keep it up!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 06:04:11 AM »
Awesome!  :)

As others said, it's probably more money, and more than money that you gained.  Including the feeling of awesomeness. 

Lordy

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 06:47:10 AM »
I will have saved about $3 in gas for the day doing this.

The AAA has the average price per mile (including fuel, maintenance, etc.) at 59 US Cents. (Source: https://newsroom.aaa.com/tag/driving-cost-per-mile/)
German counterpart ADAC has similar numbers.

So you definitely save $10+ on a 20 mile commute (one-way).

Kind regards,
  Lordy

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
Congrats!  That's an amazing step.

mudstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
Congratulations!!  I did my first bike commute a few weeks ago and loved it.  I work from home most of the time, but look forward to bike commuting on the days I do have to go in.  10.5 miles each way seems like a great distance!!