Author Topic: 70 lbs lost, 3 months at ideal weight  (Read 3106 times)

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
70 lbs lost, 3 months at ideal weight
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
So it's been three months, and I feel solid enough to say it out loud: I think I've achieved the weight loss.

Started May 2017 at 225 lbs, and lost five pounds per month for 14 months. I've been at 155 lbs for three months now. There's nothing magic about having leveled off: I still have to be as careful and precise about what I eat as when I was losing weight. No autopilot has kicked in.

It's a lot of work, but my life is low-stress enough now that I can pull it off.

It makes me really, really happy. My blood pressure has dropped way down. Working out is a pleasure. I look at myself in the mirror with a pleased perplexity: who the hell is that? All kinds of muscle definition. Realio trulio abs.

The best part of it is how easy it is to move. No lurching up off the couch; no getting worn out just by standing around. I float from place to place, effortlessly. It's like teleporting.

MMM and this forum really helped carry me through: Mustachian optimism and bringing intelligence and attention to my daily habits. Leaning into it and doing what it takes. Doing the research, planning and tinkering, setting up systems, monitoring results. So thanks, y'all. You helped make this possible.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
70 lbs lost, 3 months at ideal weight
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
So it's been three months, and I feel solid enough to say it out loud: I think I've achieved the weight loss.

Started May 2017 at 225 lbs, and lost five pounds per month for 14 months. I've been at 155 lbs for three months now. There's nothing magic about having leveled off: I still have to be as careful and precise about what I eat as when I was losing weight. No autopilot has kicked in.

It's a lot of work, but my life is low-stress enough now that I can pull it off.

It makes me really, really happy. My blood pressure has dropped way down. Working out is a pleasure. I look at myself in the mirror with a pleased perplexity: who the hell is that? All kinds of muscle definition. Realio trulio abs.

The best part of it is how easy it is to move. No lurching up off the couch; no getting worn out just by standing around. I float from place to place, effortlessly. It's like teleporting.

MMM and this forum really helped carry me through: Mustachian optimism and bringing intelligence and attention to my daily habits. Leaning into it and doing what it takes. Doing the research, planning and tinkering, setting up systems, monitoring results. So thanks, y'all. You helped make this possible.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
Re: 70 lbs lost, 3 months at ideal weight
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:26:59 AM »
(oops, sorry about the double post. Didn't think the first one took.)

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:28:46 AM »
Congratulations, way to go!!! Your enthusiasm is contagious and inspirational.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 10:36:54 AM »

Nice work! Truly badass.

You seem to have figured out what most dieters struggle with: you don't go "on a diet", you have to change your lifestyle or it just all comes back. Badassity indeed!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »
Congratulations! It is not easy (it's simple, but NOT easy).

I did the same many years ago. Beware of getting complacent and having some weight sneak back. It sure did for me.  There is a fight to maintain the weightless, and it is a long fight.

But again - congratulations on your persistence and success. 

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 11:13:09 AM »
This is fantastic! Congratulations!!

Do you have the rundown of fat lost & muscle gained?

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
congratulations

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »
This is fantastic! Congratulations!!

Do you have the rundown of fat lost & muscle gained?

No, not really. I was working out the whole time, and tracking my numbers (reps & weights), so I'm pretty sure I never lost any muscle: I was slowly gaining strength throughout the weight loss. I was determined not to lose any muscle mass: I'm of an age (60) when that stuff is precious. Easy to lose and hard to get back.

I'm on a long-term plan to gain five pounds of muscle this year. I'm being pretty finicky about measuring my waist daily so I don't fool myself about what those pounds are made of :-)

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »
Good for you. I'm working on doing that myself. So far I've lost about 18 pounds and my blood pressure has normalized. I enjoy looking at myself in the mirror, too.

Isn't it wonderful!

SproutingStacheHK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 06:25:13 PM »
Well done!  This is the kind of inspiration I need to hear as I start the long march down in weight.  Thanks for posting about it!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »
Amazing! Congrats!

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 07:04:12 PM »
Congratulations!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »
Well done!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 08:28:12 PM »
Impressive! And don’t take offense at this but we all know it only gets more difficult as we age to lose so this even more of an accomplishment.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »
Congratulations!  that's a huge achievement that took lots of discipline!  Don't get complacent like I did after losing 30 lbs and keeping it off for more than a year....unfortunately, I stopped logging what I ate thinking I had it all figured out after a year of maintaining and the weight came back.  Keep doing what is working for you :)  I love how you said it's like teleporting!  It's so amazing how much easier it is to move when you are at an ideal weight!

Jim2001

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »

Great job!

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »
Congratulations! Well done and so much healthier.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 05:21:38 AM »
Congrats! Amazing what one can accomplish when you set your mind to it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Super badass. Congrats!

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »
Thanks so much, all!

For those who might be interested, the most helpful resources for me have been Stephan Guyenet's The Hungry Brain and Yoni Freedhoff's The Diet Fix.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 06:25:56 AM »
Adding my congrats to the page!  Great achievement!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 08:09:04 AM »
Congratulations that is awesome! I was never able to lose weight and lift so almost about 4 years ago I lost about 60lbs when I fire'd primarily walking. Then after a year I started lifting and put ten lbs on over about 6 months. So know I am where I needed/wanted to be for 3ish years. No dieting either just more awareness.  But again thats awesome andthe longer you go the easier it gets. Just dont get into the "I gotta exercise so I can eat mode " because thats a losing battle eventually.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
Congratulations!

I'm on a similar track, having dropped from 253 to 188 pounds over the last 11 months (target weight is 175-180), so I know the commitment that it took for you to achieve that.