Author Topic: 364 days with no cable!  (Read 9967 times)

Milkman666

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
364 days with no cable!
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »
I didn't think I'd miss it much, and I haven't, but I wasn't sure about wifey. She don't miss it much either, and she's jazzed about the dough we saved!

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
Re: 364 days with no cable!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »
thats great.

We gave it up in sept/oct and husband is still sad.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
We gave ours up about 5 and a half years ago. No regrets at all.

little stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »
A great big bow! Good for you.

We are still not there yet but we reduced the entertainment packages and game subscriptions tonight and will save @660 bucks over the course of the year (and the misses gets her BBC America with the reduced package -- go figure). No I really did not need ESPN or the baseball channels. :) The kids will live without animal planet just fine. Will scope out the streaming solutions and hopefully cut even more of the fiber cable soon. Baby steps! :)

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »
This post got me to thinking, so I had to go check.  Looks like the last time I paid Dish was 5/2/12, so I guess we have been cable/satellite-free for a year or so too!  Haven't missed it one bit.  We don't have Netflix or Hulu or anything else, and all is well.

girly mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
I gave up cable about 4-5 years ago... The first year and I half - although I didn't miss it too much, I felt sure that at some point I would add it back. After the first couple of years I began to prefer not having it -- and have no desire to ever have it again... So for those who still miss it a bit after a year -- it may get easier for you as time goes on....

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:27:18 AM »
Coming up on 17 years cable free over here.  Netflix and the internet for the win!

kikichewie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 05:45:37 AM »
We just went to local basic only after testing some antennae that didn't work.  It's basically the same price as if we dropped it altogether and just had Internet.  Saving over $100 a month for where we started!

makincaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 05:53:45 AM »
The only time I've ever had cable was in college. It was included with my dorm.

Mozactly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 06:38:32 AM »
I've been cable-free since 2006. I never looked back.

Although we got Netflix last year finally, and I'm starting to think it is even worse than cable in terms of a time drain. My DH and I watched six episodes of Walking Dead in a row one night. Great show, but what a waste of time.

Anyone else cancel Netflix and go completely without television?

frugalcoconut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »
My TV only gets over-the-air network channels and once in a while a random DVD (or CD to play music) borrowed from a friend or the library.  I don't use it very much at all though.  I mainly watch shows through hulu on my netbook.  Last time I had cable was when I got it for free because it was included with an apartment I lived in.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »
Way to go.    Cable is the biggest colossal waste of money and time.  20 years for us.  Haven't had it since college. 

Fawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 09:08:53 AM »
I have been TV/cable/Netfix/Hulu free for 13 years. And raised/am raising 4 kids without it,

The oldest offspring, now adult, loves his ESPN, but the rest of them brag to their friends that they do not have TV.

I do not miss it, do not want to ever have it in my house. There is enough TV in public spaces that I can't avoid, that continually reminds me that the thoughts I have are way more interesting than what the average producer can dream up.

Mozactly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »
Ironically two AT&T salesmen came to my door yesterday to try to get me to buy Uverse.

When I told them I didn't have cable (or a phone for that matter) they laughed because they honestly thought I was kidding.

Why is that so hard to believe?

Most people I know are canceling cable because it is such a waste of money.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
We need to get rid of ours. We waste too much time!

Ratracespectator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »
Inspired by everyone on these boards, I lowered our cable/Internet bill from $130 per month to $66 per month. I got push back from my family, but explained that the Cartoon Channel and Fox Business News is not worth $700 per year....

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »

We are still not there yet but we reduced the entertainment packages and game subscriptions tonight and will save @660 bucks over the course of the year (and the misses gets her BBC America with the reduced package -- go figure). No I really did not need ESPN or the baseball channels. :) The kids will live without animal planet just fine. Will scope out the streaming solutions and hopefully cut even more of the fiber cable soon. Baby steps! :)

BBC America is what I miss too with my reduced package. It's the ONLY channel I miss (okay, I kind of liked Cooking and DIY). It's not all that feasible, but I would love a cable or satellite company that would allow you to pick and choose exactly what channels you want. I don't need three CSPAN channels.

I want to get rid of my satellite TV, I'm just not there yet. I LOVE TV. Love it. More than movies. The idea that I can't just turn on the TV to find something just makes me sad. I know there's Netflix or Amazon Prime or Hulu, but it is simply not the same.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »

BBC America is what I miss too with my reduced package. It's the ONLY channel I miss (okay, I kind of liked Cooking and DIY). It's not all that feasible, but I would love a cable or satellite company that would allow you to pick and choose exactly what channels you want. I don't need three CSPAN channels.

I want to get rid of my satellite TV, I'm just not there yet. I LOVE TV. Love it. More than movies. The idea that I can't just turn on the TV to find something just makes me sad. I know there's Netflix or Amazon Prime or Hulu, but it is simply not the same.

The BBC's catalog for the most part is available for free viewing with Amazon Prime, and a little patience (18 months or so) gets you the new seasons of big ticket stuff like NuWho for free... though purchase price for that still comes out cheaper than a satellite subscription.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 05:17:22 AM »
I've never had cable, the lack of people in my home yelling at me constantly that my life SUCKS without their product really makes a big difference to me.

aclarridge

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
I've never had cable except when I was a young kid.

I typically download tv shows - I tried Netflix but I found that it's just too easy to watch shows...DW and I tend to watch for hours. At least with downloading you have to do a little bit of work to get them, so you don't have as many and it's not like you're just browsing through this huge database. The dilemma is that I do want to pay for certain tv shows but I don't want to tempt myself with free access to a giant database.

First. World. Problems.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »

I typically download tv shows - I tried Netflix but I found that it's just too easy to watch shows...DW and I tend to watch for hours. At least with downloading you have to do a little bit of work to get them, so you don't have as many and it's not like you're just browsing through this huge database. The dilemma is that I do want to pay for certain tv shows but I don't want to tempt myself with free access to a giant database.

First. World. Problems.

Uh, just order them through Amazon or iTunes or even go to the store and buy the box set or something.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »
Sports is the biggest reason I can't go to a no cable solution.  By the time you factor in the cost for the three sports we watch (football, baseball, and hockey) you already have paid close to cable.

Combine that with Comcast having wifi hotspots around the US now, having lower internet costs with bundles with TV, there's no reason to really not have it. 

And for work from home, I do need the high speed access.

Milkman666

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 06:34:56 PM »
CAN'T because of sports. That's a good one!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »
^^Meh, I'd rather play sports than watch.  But, after trying little rabbit ears without much success due to the trees, I did make an investment in a big antennae for about $70 at the local warehouse megastore; looks like a black figure 8.  It seems to work great and I get the major networks and local channels from my town and several cities away.  I even get some music channels.  That allows us to watch things like the NFL, college hoops, etc.  Good enough, and I have no monthly bill at all now.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
^^Meh, I'd rather play sports than watch.  But, after trying little rabbit ears without much success due to the trees, I did make an investment in a big antennae for about $70 at the local warehouse megastore; looks like a black figure 8.  It seems to work great and I get the major networks and local channels from my town and several cities away.  I even get some music channels.  That allows us to watch things like the NFL, college hoops, etc.  Good enough, and I have no monthly bill at all now.

Can you get the NFL Network, ESPN, and NBC Sports?

Too many sports are going on channels that aren't over the air.  Yes, there are "streaming" sites.  I know that.  But as a software engineer that has been in my field, I don't agree with piracy and that is the same thing.

raiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »
I dropped cable a few months ago.  I missed watching Basketball and opened up a VPN connection to Amsterdam with StrongVPN for about $50 for the year.

Signed up for NBA International League Pass for about 150 euro's.  Have access to every game in the league with no blackouts in high definition.

I have not looked into other sports but with the VPN software you can change your IP to a different city to get around the local blackouts.

aclarridge

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »

First. World. Problems.

Uh, just order them through Amazon or iTunes or even go to the store and buy the box set or something.

I want to stream them for like <$5/movie, or <$1/tv show. That's what I think they are worth, tops. I don't need to own them forever either, it can be a one-time thing. Buying a Bluray movie is like >$20 a lot of the time which is crazy. Buying a TV show box set is worse.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 02:05:49 PM »

First. World. Problems.

I want to stream them for like <$5/movie, or <$1/tv show. That's what I think they are worth, tops. I don't need to own them forever either, it can be a one-time thing. Buying a Bluray movie is like >$20 a lot of the time which is crazy. Buying a TV show box set is worse.

Ok so you're looking for a stopgap solution that's less accessible and more selective than Netflix, but less expensive than physical media.

There are tons of "rental" options, even within iTunes.

For TV shows, there are some really hit-or-miss options for buying used. http://www.dvdempire.com/all-used-blu-ray.html?category=1294 Or you could hit up flea markets or ebay or whatever.

I mean really, this is kind of a strange Goldilocks case of convenience vs. cost vs. morality (?). You know what you want to do, just don't say there aren't options that fit your needs.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »

Too many sports are going on channels that aren't over the air.  Yes, there are "streaming" sites.  I know that.  But as a software engineer that has been in my field, I don't agree with piracy and that is the same thing.

I disagree with that streaming sports is piracy.  You're still stuck with the commercials.  That's what pays for the whole thing!  If you're watching commercials, you're "paying" for what you're watching.  It's the same as if you're watching CBS or FOX or NBC over the air for free.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »

I disagree with that streaming sports is piracy.  You're still stuck with the commercials.  That's what pays for the whole thing!  If you're watching commercials, you're "paying" for what you're watching.  It's the same as if you're watching CBS or FOX or NBC over the air for free.

We are talking about different types of streaming sites.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »
Yes, it is annoying that so much of the sports are now on channels that are not over the air.  But to me it is not much different than when I was a kid and most of the sports weren't televised at all.  You'd get a couple of football games on the weekend, but not all of them.  Some random basketball and baseball.  The big golf tournaments, some bowling maybe, a hockey game and pro wrestling once a week.  Maybe Wide World of Sports.  Cruddy, advertised-filled partial coverage of major worldwide events like Olympics and tennis and World Cup finals.  And that was it. 

Then ESPN came along and I learned that I like watching Australian Rules Football, college volleyball, sumo, and world's strongest man.  THEN they came up with NHL center ice and the other premium sports packages, and I really got spoiled.

But guess what?  Some of the time the local game I want to watch is still over the air on a local affiliate.  Big big games are still mostly over the air.  Yay, hello couch, cheap beer, and homemade popcorn!  I can always go out to watch a game that I really, really want to see that's only on a pay station, but that only comes up a few times a year, and the Mexican restaurant by my house has $1-2 beers and much nicer TV's anyway.  What I mostly miss is the Olympic sports, and reruns of world's strongest man, of course.  To me those are not worth $1000+ per year.

crestheaven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
no comcast cable- only saved 50 cents/ month
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 08:05:36 AM »
Here's what happened:
I owned my own modem, had slower connection and subscibed to basic. I Live in NJ. Bill for all was $40.45. I purchased fantastic Leaf antenna for $40.00 See youtube video for info. Anyway, called Comcast to cut TV cord and my bill would only drop about fifty cents, to 39.95. They wanted to charge more for my internet service since I was dropping tv. Hence, I dropped all sevice and will save $40/month and am badass! The exercise walking to free hot spots will do my body good.

aclarridge

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »

First. World. Problems.

Ok so you're looking for a stopgap solution that's less accessible and more selective than Netflix, but less expensive than physical media.

There are tons of "rental" options, even within iTunes.

For TV shows, there are some really hit-or-miss options for buying used. http://www.dvdempire.com/all-used-blu-ray.html?category=1294 Or you could hit up flea markets or ebay or whatever.

I mean really, this is kind of a strange Goldilocks case of convenience vs. cost vs. morality (?). You know what you want to do, just don't say there aren't options that fit your needs.

I agree I'm being picky, but I think a lot of people would actually fall into the same boat. Used bluray or dvd discs? No thanks, too much work. iTunes or Amazon - I have a PS3 hooked up to my TV, not a computer, do they work with that (I actually don't know, not being snarky)?

I guess I'm just saying I wish Netflix had a pay-per-view option for occasional viewers.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 06:06:25 AM »
I agree I'm being picky, but I think a lot of people would actually fall into the same boat. Used bluray or dvd discs? No thanks, too much work. iTunes or Amazon - I have a PS3 hooked up to my TV, not a computer, do they work with that (I actually don't know, not being snarky)?

I guess I'm just saying I wish Netflix had a pay-per-view option for occasional viewers.

I'm not sure about a PS3, but I used to do that all the time with an Xbox 360 through the Windows MediaCenter. Amazon and iTunes give you the raw files. Getting the files onto your streaming box or console should be pretty straightforward if you're at all inclined.

It was also super easy to rent movies using the Xbox itself which I used a lot for HD movies, I don't know if the PS3 store has the same option but a quick google for "rent movies using ps3" makes it seem very promising!

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 06:07:24 AM »
I can't do it.  I have to watch football, lots and lots of football.  I'm even going to have to get the SEC network or whatever tier includes that. 

Amazon, Netflix and Hulu work with the Ps3, and of course it plays blu-rays.  there are a couple of other rental type apps, including the ones Walmart and Bestbuy came out with.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:10:11 AM by CorpRaider »

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 06:09:23 AM »
I can't do it.  I have to watch football, lots and lots of football.  I'm even going to have to get the SEC network or whatever tier includes that. 

Amazon, Netflix and Hulu work with the Ps3, and of course it plays blu-rays.

Man, slavery is brutal.

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »
Maybe if they continue to wussify football, I will eventually be free, but I doubt it.