Author Topic: 2017 - The year of the last car payment  (Read 1326 times)

mwulff

• Bristles
2017 - The year of the last car payment
« on: January 07, 2018, 12:19:15 AM »
Hi everyone,

On the 28th of December my wife and I finally made our last car payment on our very un-mustachian car. We bought a brand new Tesla Model S back in June 2015. Due to the way taxes were being revised it was a now or never decision. It's one thing to buy a Tesla with a 25% sales tax, quite another to buy it with 180% registration-tax and 25% sales tax.

So we went for the dream vehicle and then went all in on paying off the consumer debt. Fast forward to end 2017 and we made the last payment on December 28th.

The feeling of having no car payment again is awesome and we are never ever buying a car again.

Feel free to facepunch me, but it was the only electric car that has the range to be used in our side-gig and we really wanted an electric car.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: 2017 - The year of the last car payment
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:29:48 AM »
Well done! so with all those taxes roughly what did they cost? How do you like it?

mwulff

• Bristles
Re: 2017 - The year of the last car payment
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 03:59:46 AM »
The car all in all was $114.000 with the low taxes. These days it's more like $250.000 here.

Honestly I/we love the car. It's quiet, easy to drive and charging has never been a problem. I would admit that it sometimes takes a little more planning than a regular car but it's well worth it in my opinion.

There has been some reliability issues with the car, but all have been fixed under warranty by Tesla. The service is phenomenal to say the least.

Big issues we have had:

- The howling drive unit - replaced for free
- Windscreen scratches from door handles - replaced for free
- Rusty screws in the rear diffuser - replaced for free

and some smaller stuff that has been fixed by the service center as they had the car in.

Would I recommend a Tesla? Absolutely, especially if you buy a pre-owned from Tesla. I would hesitate about the Model X since there is too much tech in that car that can go wrong, but the Model S is a no brainer (a very expensive no brainer).

A word of warning though, once you go electric there is no turning back. The ride is incredibly smooth and the driving feel is so much better than internal combustion engine cars. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!