Author Topic: 100% of tax return used to pay off debt!  (Read 2235 times)

Frugalite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
100% of tax return used to pay off debt!
« on: March 15, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »
So there are 3 things I feel like a badass for lately:

1.) Paying off our student loans last month. Between my husband and I we have 4 degrees, so to never have student loans again is SWEET and yet another step to being debt free!

2.) Just got our tax return and *SHAZAM* squirreled every cent of it away to help pay off our car loan instead of buying some facepunch-inducing electronic device we don't need like most people would. The other was paid off a long time ago and at the rate we are going, this car will be paid off by July and our mortgage will be our only debt!

3.) Successfully shared mustachian principles with friends of ours. They asked for help with their situation and with help from the MMM community I was able to share without being too pushy. I think it is really going to help them. I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Love this forum!

jwood83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 100% of tax return used to pay off debt!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:23:40 PM »
Congratulations! Especially on paying off the student loans! You should be very proud of your accomplishments. :-)

Frugalite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 06:36:54 AM »
Thank you! Feels good! :D

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »
1.) Paying off our student loans last month. Between my husband and I we have 4 degrees, so to never have student loans again is SWEET and yet another step to being debt free!
Congratulations - well done!

2.) Just got our tax return and *SHAZAM* squirreled every cent of it away to help pay off our car loan instead of buying some facepunch-inducing electronic device we don't need like most people would. The other was paid off a long time ago and at the rate we are going, this car will be paid off by July and our mortgage will be our only debt!
Could you increase the number of withholding allowances on your W-4s to match your expected tax bill, thus get more money into your bank each paycheck and use the extra to pay off the car even earlier?

QuirkyNurse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:03:24 PM »
Ahhh, congrats! Way to be!

I did the same exact thing with my tax return too. I didn't pay of any of my debts completely, but it did cut one of them in half.

Keep up the good work, you Badass Mustachian, you!

Frugalite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
Congratulations - well done!

Could you increase the number of withholding allowances on your W-4s to match your expected tax bill, thus get more money into your bank each paycheck and use the extra to pay off the car even earlier?

Good thinking! Going to look into this. It wasn't an insane amount, but decently substantial. Maybe if either my husband or I changed it we might break about even.

Ahhh, congrats! Way to be!

I did the same exact thing with my tax return too. I didn't pay of any of my debts completely, but it did cut one of them in half.

Keep up the good work, you Badass Mustachian, you!

Thanks! Awesome job to you as well!