Author Topic: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks  (Read 92529 times)

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks
« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2019, 12:56:31 AM »
Retin A--worth every penny.  Can be had by prescription or bought cheap online.  It is the gold standard in anti aging.  If you only do one thing use sunscreen.  If you only do two things, use sunscreen and retin A.
Agreed. You can bypass a lot of expensive moisturisers by using prescription tretinoin instead. Does more and is cheaper.

Also, exercise, sleeping well, and a good diet will help your appearance more than expensive makeup. And posture. Can make a big difference to how you look, as well as make you feel better - https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en.

I'm trying to lift my game so am also half-heartedly splodging on lippy at work these days. Not sure the world has registered this yet.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2019, 06:11:49 AM »
How do you guys feel about cheap sunscreen vs expensive sunscreen?  After my younger kid got badly burnt at the pool a few days ago with her summer camp, I splashed out on Euro 17 sunscreen.  It's the brand (La Roche Posay) that my dermatologist recommends.  The cheap stuff costs around Euro 10 and seems to work ok but this stuff is really nice and apparently (according to my dermatologist) has some secret ingredient that blocks both UVA and UVB really well.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2019, 06:55:33 AM »
How do you guys feel about cheap sunscreen vs expensive sunscreen?  After my younger kid got badly burnt at the pool a few days ago with her summer camp, I splashed out on Euro 17 sunscreen.  It's the brand (La Roche Posay) that my dermatologist recommends.  The cheap stuff costs around Euro 10 and seems to work ok but this stuff is really nice and apparently (according to my dermatologist) has some secret ingredient that blocks both UVA and UVB really well.

My experience with European skincare is that it's crazy expensive relative to American prices, and I've never been able to figure out why.

I use the Environmental Working Group's site (https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/) and go for the cheapest stuff that's a 1 or 2. Typically that's Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry-Touch SPF 30, because there's often a store coupon or "buy one get one" deal going on at some point in the early summer.

Not sure how much this will help you, but best of luck!

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: June 14, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
1.  Cheap conditioner.  I use it to shave and I also never use shampoo.  I "wash" my curly hair with lots of conditioner, gentle scrubbing, lots of rinsing.  Then I use my nice conditioner in the normal way. I haven't used shampoo in many years.
2. Jojoba oil.  I use it all over, hair and body.
3. Store knock offs of expensive brands, like cerave.
4. Sunscreen!!!!!!
5. Retin A--worth every penny.  Can be had by prescription or bought cheap online.  It is the gold standard in anti aging.  If you only do one thing use sunscreen.  If you only do two things, use sunscreen and retin A.

Got any links for cheap retin A online?

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: June 14, 2019, 11:02:39 PM »
How do you guys feel about cheap sunscreen vs expensive sunscreen?

I use inexpensive sunscreen on my body & expensive on my face.

But even on my face I use a body sunscreen that is about 1/3 the price per volume compared to the same brand’s “face” version. The ingredient lists are almost identical so you are just paying for fancy packaging for the smaller vile.

https://www.frezyderm.com/sun-care/body-sunscreens/sun-screen-velvet-body-spf-50/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:07:26 PM by K-ice »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2019, 04:09:54 AM »
Yes this LaRoche Posay stuff is really nice as a face sunscreen.  Not too oily. 

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: June 19, 2019, 11:26:59 AM »
1.  Cheap conditioner.  I use it to shave and I also never use shampoo.  I "wash" my curly hair with lots of conditioner, gentle scrubbing, lots of rinsing.  Then I use my nice conditioner in the normal way. I haven't used shampoo in many years.
4. Sunscreen!!!!!!
5. Retin A--worth every penny.  Can be had by prescription or bought cheap online.  It is the gold standard in anti aging.  If you only do one thing use sunscreen.  If you only do two things, use sunscreen and retin A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVa-wq59oaQ
FiftyPlusBeauty has some suggestions in the link above.  I recommend looking up a favorite and reputable beauty youtuber to search for retin A sources.

I also recommend HotAndFlashy on Youtube for all things anti aging, especially sunscreen.  She does really thourough sunscreen reviews and has recomendations for both pricey and drug store sunscreens.  You really don't have to spend a lot to get a nice sunscreen.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2019, 10:30:49 AM »
4. Sunscreen!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVa-wq59oaQ
FiftyPlusBeauty has some suggestions in the link above.  I recommend looking up a favorite and reputable beauty youtuber to search for retin A sources.

I also recommend HotAndFlashy on Youtube for all things anti aging, especially sunscreen.  She does really thourough sunscreen reviews and has recomendations for both pricey and drug store sunscreens.  You really don't have to spend a lot to get a nice sunscreen.

Thanks Denise!!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: July 06, 2019, 06:51:11 AM »
If you have recently lost weight or gained weight and have friends in the same boat, tell them to please think of you when they are cleaning out their closets.  I have recently lost 90 lbs through surgery and had 2 friends give me work dresses and a pair of jeans.  I’ve given an armful of fleeces and jackets away to my mom.  Let people help you, and you can help other people—it’s great! 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: July 08, 2019, 08:06:46 AM »
If you have recently lost weight or gained weight and have friends in the same boat, tell them to please think of you when they are cleaning out their closets.  I have recently lost 90 lbs through surgery and had 2 friends give me work dresses and a pair of jeans.  I’ve given an armful of fleeces and jackets away to my mom.  Let people help you, and you can help other people—it’s great!

If you think you have enough people that would participate, I've really enjoyed having closet-swap parties. Everyone brings stuff they don't need anymore plus drinks or food to share, and you sort the stuff by size/category and go shopping. One of my friends has an intricate pick-a-number order process to ensure that it's fair, but I've never felt it was necessary.

My favorite jean jacket came from one of those parties, but my favorite experience was giving away a really nice picnic basket I got as a wedding present. (It wasn't strictly within the guidelines, but it was super nice and I wasn't willing to just give it to Goodwill.) Someone got it as their first pick, and raved about how she'd been looking for one and was so excited about it. I'm still happy it went to a good home.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2020, 03:57:07 AM »
Does anybody have a good recommendation for my weak, shredding fingernails?  In the past things that have helped have been straight olive oil, vitamin e oil, and drinking a lot of water.  Unfortunately I’m now trending toward anemia and hacks that worked in the past no longer do much.  I eat a high protein diet and take supplements. 

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2020, 05:18:32 AM »
I agree on the RetinA! (love Hot and Flashy youtuber too :)
Also I use her suggestions for Timeless Vit C serums.
A few things I don't scrimp on first: 50spf for face, Clarisonic, Olaplex.
My hacks or tried true cheap stuff:

Cetaphil to wash face- always 40% off coupon usage at CVS
Rose hip oil for moisturizing face (I mix with vit c serum as I put on)
Home made deodorant (been making for over 10 years and love it! mix of coconut oil, baking soda and shea butter)
Wash hair (CGM curly girl method) with Suave conditioners.
Use my own homemade Flax Seed Gel for my curls (there are many youtubes on fsg)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2020, 07:38:47 AM »
Does anybody have a good recommendation for my weak, shredding fingernails?  In the past things that have helped have been straight olive oil, vitamin e oil, and drinking a lot of water.  Unfortunately I’m now trending toward anemia and hacks that worked in the past no longer do much.  I eat a high protein diet and take supplements.

Yes.  Cut your fingernails to under 1 mm, and you will not have a problem with weak, shredding fingernails.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2020, 08:24:40 AM »

I recently started putting a scoop of collagen into my coffee every day, and my nails have never been better. Should help with your goal of high protein, and great for your hair and nails.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2020, 11:29:47 AM »

You may consider getting more of certain foods in your diet, such as more dark leafy greens, nuts, legumes, and grains. They have a lot of nutrients nails require other than protein, like iron and omega 3, though some sources have lots of protein as well (obviously beans, lentils, quinoa, farro, etc.). Pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, and walnuts are great sources for omega-3 and you only need a little bit, but they also have a lot of other great benefits for nails you can look up. Also, try some brazil nuts which are really high in selenium. Sweet potatoes, potatoes, and dried apricots are also some inexpensive sources. I don't want to get into a long explanation or anything, but I think generally the body is better able to absorb certain nutrients when they're a whole food source rather than an isolated supplement because they tend to be 'packaged' with other nutrients that help facilitate better absorption. (E.g. vitamin c helps iron absorption)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2020, 07:19:24 PM »

Yes.  Cut your fingernails to under 1 mm, and you will not have a problem with weak, shredding fingernails.

Wow.  Fuck off. 
[MOD NOTE: What?  Forum Rule #1]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:23:38 AM by FrugalToque »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2020, 08:15:56 PM »

I wasn't aware that you aimed to be a "pretty" mustachian.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2020, 07:36:01 AM »
Alas, @GuitarStv, though I am sure you are kind and well intentioned, your suggestion does not work. Fragile nails just keep breaking, even when they're short.

Here's another tip for @MoolahLula to try. Buy a bunch of emery boards or files and stash them everywhere, so you always have one within reach. Gently smooth every little snag and split as soon as you notice it. Do not pick at or bite them! It really will help. My nails used to be strong and long, but menopause changed all that and nothing Ive tried since has made much of a difference, but the smoothing helps.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2020, 12:01:31 PM »
OK all over the place.

Everything that people mentioned before. Exercise, walking outside, hydrated, stop frowning and smile instead.
Things I've need to work on: posture. Pulling in my "gut" when I'm walking. Having clothes that fit your shape (something I need to work on).

I only pretty recently started defining my brows, and it DOES open the face.
coconut Vaseline for the lips, as well as feet.
I am a fan of cetaphil lotion and soap. The soap lasts a long time.
I feel that taking either a fish oil or flax seed oil supplement makes my skin look/feel better.

My daughter and I both inherited oily/breakout prone skin. We are both a fan of QUEEN HELENE Mint Julep masque. It used to be carried by the dollar store ($3?) but my supply is getting low  http://www.ebonyline.com/queen-helene-mint-julep-masque.html
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:08:28 PM by partgypsy »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »
Alas, @GuitarStv, though I am sure you are kind and well intentioned, your suggestion does not work. Fragile nails just keep breaking, even when they're short.

If they're still breaking while short, just use multiple layers of clear nail polish.  When I was doing Jiu-Jitsu and Judo, I'd regularly get my nails ripped in half or torn out as the rough material of a gi is pulled forcefully through your hands a lot.  I'd just use superglue to glue the nail bed back into place, and then layer several layers of clear nail polish to reduce the chance of it happening again.

SugarMagnolia77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2020, 04:15:46 PM »
I switched to The Ordinary for skincare. It's sold at Sephora, but the prices are lower than at the drug store. Most bottles are around $5-7 and they are super clear about what is in them. The products don't have cute names, it's just "Retinol 1% in Squalane." The formulas and packaging are simple. It makes you realize how much you're paying for pretty packages and marketing.

Also, Sephora staff will give you a fairly generous sample of ANYTHING they have in the store. All you have to do is ask.

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2020, 04:03:08 PM »
@MoolahLula , I agree with @Dicey and others, supplements are great but frequent filing does help too. One thing to note (as a beauty school drop-out) is that the way most people file their nails is wrong and can lead to further splitting. File from one side to the center, and then switch for the other side, then blunt the center in one direction only. The sawing back and forth that most people do causes micro-fractures in the end-grain of the nail that can lead to further splitting. (or so was the thinking 20 yrs or so ago). Also, wear rubber gloves every time when washing dishing. 

frugs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2020, 11:29:01 PM »

I wasn't aware that you aimed to be a "pretty" mustachian.

Being pretty has absolutely nothing to do with nails or makeup and everything to do with confidence. I wish more females would realize this.

I personally find nail polish to be unnecessary and decidedly anti-mustachian. Once I actually thought about all the toxic chemicals I was putting in our waterways and trash, I quit forever. I don't even own a nail file, I round them out with the clippers and it's fine. I have saved myself hours over the course of my lifetime of not doing my nails. Plus, the 3 day nail chip looks so, so terrible.

Don't get me started on nail salons. What a humongous waste of time and money, and the people who work there are exposed to noxious fumes daily.

@MoolahLula No reason to get mad at @GuitarStv - it is good advice and short clean nails are my MO. Now I don't have to worry about them breaking or bending backwards. By the way, if you are wearing nail polish or getting fake nails, there is your answer as to why they are brittle....

All you really need in your daily beauty regimen is sunscreen, some sort of oil to take it off with (I use avocado), moisturizer (recommend Cerave), reusable cotton rounds, and retinol.

I do have some makeup. It is about 5 years old and I hardly ever wear it. Who knows what carcinogens are in there. I do fill in fill in my brows with a pencil, that is about it. All that stuff about makeup expiring in a year is nonsense btw.

My dermatologist recommended to stick with Neutrogena retinol products. He said other brands don't really have guaranteed quality control and so you don't know what retinol they actually have, if they even have it.

I think foundation makeup actually ages you. I look much younger than my biological age and I credit it to clean eating, avoiding alcohol and constant aerobic and strength training.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:44:33 PM by frugs »

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: March 09, 2020, 02:54:24 AM »
@MoolahLula No reason to get mad at @GuitarStv - it is good advice and short clean nails are my MO. Now I don't have to worry about them breaking or bending backwards. By the way, if you are wearing nail polish or getting fake nails, there is your answer as to why they are brittle.... “

No, anemia would be the answer.  Also, please don’t tell me how to feel.  I’m about one more mansplaining away from  deleting my account here at MMM.   

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #274 on: March 09, 2020, 04:31:05 AM »
@MoolahLula No reason to get mad at @GuitarStv - it is good advice and short clean nails are my MO. Now I don't have to worry about them breaking or bending backwards. By the way, if you are wearing nail polish or getting fake nails, there is your answer as to why they are brittle.... “

No, anemia would be the answer.  Also, please don’t tell me how to feel.  I’m about one more mansplaining away from  deleting my account here at MMM.
Went to a family wedding recently. My sisters wanted to do the mani/pedi bonding thing. Whatevs, so I went. Don't mind painted toes, but can't stand it on my fingernails. I went for short-ish nails and the buff shine. Two weeks later, my fingernails all have these weird half moon shapes toward the cuticle and I'm sure it's an indication that I've contracted some dreaded disease...plus I wasted a perfectly good Benjamin. At least my toes are pretty. Well, when I get a glimpse of them as I'm changing my socks, lol. Oh, and I've broken three of my nails since...

frugs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2020, 08:09:59 AM »

[/quote]
Went to a family wedding recently. My sisters wanted to do the mani/pedi bonding thing. Whatevs, so I went. Don't mind painted toes, but can't stand it on my fingernails. I went for short-ish nails and the buff shine. Two weeks later, my fingernails all have these weird half moon shapes toward the cuticle and I'm sure it's an indication that I've contracted some dreaded disease...plus I wasted a perfectly good Benjamin. At least my toes are pretty. Well, when I get a glimpse of them as I'm changing my socks, lol. Oh, and I've broken three of my nails since...
[/quote]

Those foot tubs at nail salons are so gross. Ewww

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »

Fun fact: those half moons are called a Lunula. They are not a disease. :-)

Lunulae are part of your nail matrix. The matrix refers to the tissue just beneath your nail. It contains nerves, lymph, and blood vessels. It also produces the cells that become the hardened nail plate, which is what you see.

Although everyone has a nail matrix, not everyone will see or have a lunula on each nail. Those who do have a lunula may notice that they vary in appearance across each nail.

FWIW: I can see mine on both thumbs and the first two fingers of my right hand. The rest are not visible.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: March 09, 2020, 01:07:28 PM »

Lunulae are part of your nail matrix. The matrix refers to the tissue just beneath your nail. It contains nerves, lymph, and blood vessels. It also produces the cells that become the hardened nail plate, which is what you see.

Although everyone has a nail matrix, not everyone will see or have a lunula on each nail. Those who do have a lunula may notice that they vary in appearance across each nail.

FWIW: I can see mine on both thumbs and the first two fingers of my right hand. The rest are not visible.

This is why I skim most of the threads that show up - I learn all sorts of stuff I didn't know I needed to know.  Seems I have visible lunulae on all 10 digits. 

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #278 on: March 19, 2020, 05:07:50 PM »
Here are some simple changes that have been working out well for me. My genetically induced and hormonal acne-prone skin has never looked better.

- Increasing my water intake. I heard this a lot before but never really took it that seriously. I thought I drank a lot of water before, but noticed I would still get dry lips, especially when I just wake up in the morning and I realized lip balm doesn't actually do anything for them. I started tracking my water to 75 oz in a day (approx 9-10 oz every hour in a normal 8-hr work day), and the lips are look and feel noticeably more plump/filled out and don't require lip balm. I also believe it helps with skin by hydrating it, making the cells appear more 'plump' and thus smaller pores, and helps reduce oiliness. I have indented acne scarring on my forehead and the scars look minimized when the skin is hydrated. Go figure. I'd been wanting to use ablative lasers but water is working out well for me.

- I feel silly, but this next change was spurred by (1) wanting to go on various camping trips this summer and not wanting to feel like I look any different from my normal life (2) wanting to improve my complexion and (3) my lovely coworker who just doesn't wear appear to wear any makeup. Inspired at how glowing her skin naturally is and perplexed by my own false, manufactured radiance, I stopped wearing foundation, blush, and lipstick for the month – though I still enjoy eyeliner, eyebrow pencil/powder, and sometimes mascara. I look more or less the same, I think, and haven't gotten a single side eye or 'You look sick,' comment coworkers sometimes give to women who show up without makeup. At first I thought my skin looked dull, but it's been getting better and more naturally glow-y every day. It's a bit tricky when I wear mineral sunscreen, though, so sometimes I am tempted to brush on some bronzer to warm up the ghostly/ashy effect it has on my tan skin tone. Foundation is $40 a tube and may need to be purchased as much as twice a year, so I'm glad I can kick this habit. Bonus: Not wearing as much makeup is a major time saver.

- Hydrating my skin and using gentle skin care products = no more oily skin. I used to have very oily skin, so this is a pretty amazing change. I also didn't realize niacinamide actually reduces sebum production, but it does, and I have been using a niacinamide serum. Well, it works. I use The Ordinary brand. Super cheap. After I put that on, I also put on a hyaluronic acid and vitamin b5 serum by the same brand. Moisturizer is Cerave PM. Stopped using oil cleansers (since I think it still contributes to breakouts) as the first step in double-cleansing my skin and use micellar water instead to remove sunscreen before I go in for a secondary cleanse with Cerave foaming cleanser or Cerave hydrating cleanser. Speaking of skincare products, Cosrx 2% BHA liquid works really well to prevent breakouts because it's really gentle and doesn't dry out the skin.

- No refined sugars, period! And waaaaaay less sodium intake. I already eat a crap ton of vegetables, legumes, nuts, low-sugar, whatever, since I'm a plant-based eater. But my work has candy, and since I started working there I've sometimes scrounged around for a bag of sour patch kids (that shit is my kryptonite). Well, I get instant breakouts from eating stuff like that. We all know sugar creates inflammatory responses and so on but it's good to know that actually exacerbates skin issues.

- I've been doing this for a while since my hair is quite unmanageable and long but it's worth mentioning -  braiding the hair. Helps tame the frizz. It's not perfect for the hairs around my face, which tend to be the frizziest despite my best efforts, but it's perfect for sleeping or any other time and results in some nice, heat-free waves. Also, just not even brushing hair after emerging from the shower and letting it air dry completely untouched = natural waves. If I even try to comb it, though, at any step = frizz. So, I do have to live with a bit of frizz but it beats spending time heat styling it and causing damage. I can't use any hair products because it'll make my skin breakout, and I don't like the idea of hair products being mushed into my pillow as I sleep, also exacerbating skin issues. (I never use fabric softener for the same reason.)

cash2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: April 14, 2020, 02:13:51 AM »
+1 for CeraVe, epilator (I can only do my legs, everywhere else is too damn painful), tretinoin.

I used to spend a crap load of money on Kiehl's products but have not in a long time and will never go back. My skin is very happy with a good spf formulated for oily skin reapplied throughout the day, cerave face wash & moisturizer and retin-a on my face, chest & tops of hands (I'm 34 and my grandma told me to start this kind of thing in my 20's).

How on earth does anyone take the epilator torture device on their armpits!? Or not break out from coconot oil?
Dry shampoo is also a great thing when washing your hair twice a week now feels like one time too many.
Yoga every day so all my 5+ year all-black wardrobe looks decent.

Eyebrows drawn in (NOT like those instagram clowns!!!) with a natural shade shadow really does make a difference.

Don't pick your pimples, the scar will stick around forever, just slap the retin-a on it for a week.

water, veggies and hey maybe a little bit of botox once every 2 years ;) when the credit card rewards pay for every flight, I cut my own hair and eat lovely home cooked meals, that is my main splurge

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: April 14, 2020, 04:54:02 AM »
^ I actually wash my face with only coconut oil, and have fewer breakouts. Every day, I thoroughly rub coconut oil into my face, ears, and neck, then sort of rinse it with hot water, and then wipe it all off with a clean cloth.
It makes my skin look and feel amazing.

Quitting alcohol has also been huge, I was a regular wine drinker and I did not realize how much damage it was doing to my skin.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: April 14, 2020, 06:34:47 AM »
+1 for CeraVe, epilator (I can only do my legs, everywhere else is too damn painful), tretinoin.

I used to spend a crap load of money on Kiehl's products but have not in a long time and will never go back. My skin is very happy with a good spf formulated for oily skin reapplied throughout the day, cerave face wash & moisturizer and retin-a on my face, chest & tops of hands (I'm 34 and my grandma told me to start this kind of thing in my 20's).

How on earth does anyone take the epilator torture device on their armpits!? Or not break out from coconot oil?
Dry shampoo is also a great thing when washing your hair twice a week now feels like one time too many.
Yoga every day so all my 5+ year all-black wardrobe looks decent.

Eyebrows drawn in (NOT like those instagram clowns!!!) with a natural shade shadow really does make a difference.

Don't pick your pimples, the scar will stick around forever, just slap the retin-a on it for a week.

water, veggies and hey maybe a little bit of botox once every 2 years ;) when the credit card rewards pay for every flight, I cut my own hair and eat lovely home cooked meals, that is my main splurge

I literally cried the first time I did my armpits.  I did them in ~5 second bursts, then sat there and hyperventilated for another 30 seconds before I tried again.  But now it's not a big deal!  So if you really want to, know that it gets better over time :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2020, 07:14:16 AM »

This is why I skim most of the threads that show up - I learn all sorts of stuff I didn't know I needed to know.  Seems I have visible lunulae on all 10 digits.
Thanks, so do I, Dog, but this is something different. The surface of the nail actually has half-moon shaped indentations. At the base if the nail, where it's growing out, the nail is lower and the ridge is crescent shaped. It's the same curve as the cuticle, which is the opposite of the lunula. I think the manicurist just used too much pressure when she buffed my nails. And thanks, lexde. I know the function of the half moons at the base of the nails,  but had forgotten the name for them. I was worried that the manicurist had caused long-term damage to the nail beds, but I'm hopeful they'll be okay once they grow out. We'll just have to wait and see.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2020, 11:00:13 AM »

Thanks, so do I, Dog, but this is something different. The surface of the nail actually has half-moon shaped indentations. At the base if the nail, where it's growing out, the nail is lower and the ridge is crescent shaped. It's the same curve as the cuticle, which is the opposite of the lunula. I think the manicurist just used too much pressure when she buffed my nails. And thanks, lexde. I know the function of the half moons at the base of the nails,  but had forgotten the name for them. I was worried that the manicurist had caused long-term damage to the nail beds, but I'm hopeful they'll be okay once they grow out. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think I know what you're describing -- it happened to me when I got a gel dip manicure around Christmas. It was aqua glitter and SO beautiful for about 2 weeks and then my nails were damaged :/ They sort of dremeled the surface of my nail to rough it up enough to get the dip to stick properly, which meant that for a few months after I had it removed, there were half-moon-shaped depressions on the surface of my nail, like a sunken living room, and the half-moons faced the opposite direction as the lunulae.

It eventually grew out but made my nails weaker as the part with the ridge approached the fingertip. It's all gone now and I haven't been polishing my nails because what's the point when you wash your hands 15x a day?

BUT -- @MoolahLula I did find a product that makes a HUGE difference in the strength of my nails and in my cuticles, too -- CND Cuticle Oil. I'm not sure if it's the particular formulation of the oil that makes it so good, or just the delivery mechanism of a regular nail polish brush that makes it easier to apply, but either way, it really sinks in and makes my nails thicker and stronger and less likely to peel as they grow out.

cash2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2020, 12:53:41 PM »
@Malkynn I forgot to mention in my post that I gave up alcohol as well, the benefits fall into every category imaginable. After six months I had a glass of wine and regretted it the next morning.

Another one I forgot to mention is shaving my face with little face razors from the drug store. It does not grow back darker or thicker and makes the products I do use more effective.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2020, 12:59:25 PM »
^ I actually wash my face with only coconut oil, and have fewer breakouts. Every day, I thoroughly rub coconut oil into my face, ears, and neck, then sort of rinse it with hot water, and then wipe it all off with a clean cloth.

Quitting alcohol has also been huge, I was a regular wine drinker and I did not realize how much damage it was doing to my skin.

Re: coconut oil, I can't put it on my face because it causes my pores to clog, so I get tiny little whiteheads all over. I once purchased a highly rated pressed powder compact, didn't check the ingredients closely, and realized that it contained coconut oil only after my face turned into a lawn of whiteheads. A little more digging revealed that it's considered comedogenic and not recommended for oily skin, which explains why my mom can use it but I can't. Her skin looks great.

Gardo

• Stubble
« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2020, 05:09:57 PM »
1. Stay in shape.
2. Don't get out of shape.
3. If you are out of shape, get back into shape.
4. If you're a guy, feel lucky that most women aren't as shallow as we are. Your personality and physique can make up for less than perfectly symmetrical features.
5. If you're a lady, sorry we are so shallow.

While Guitarstv has a point, in real life attractiveness can matter. Up to a point.

I like to stay in shape....round shape.  :D:D

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »
In beauty news, I have shaved today.  Also changed my pants and shirt.  It had been a couple weeks for both.  :P

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »

THANK YOU!

I'm a guy, but I recently started taking a medication that will make me even more prone to acne. And I have issues with the feeling of soap on my skin, I rinse way too much and can't wash my face without getting water everywhere. This sounds like it'd be much easier approach for me.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: June 05, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »
I need a rec for my almost 12 year old daughter.  She has beautiful curly hair that lately has been going a bit flat.  I bought her some supermarket curly hair shampoo recently (Pantene) and we have a curly hair 'product' that she's been applying but still her curls are looking a bit less curly and she's upset about it.

It's possible that it's just all her hormones making her hair go straighter but I was wondering if maybe she would be a good candidate for the no-poo, curly girl hair washing techniques.  Being a wavy haired person myself, I have absolutely no clue about this.  I tried googling but came up with a bunch of really expensive hair products. 

O, curly haired mustachians - what do you recommend?

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: June 05, 2020, 11:31:21 AM »
1. Stay in shape.
2. Don't get out of shape.
3. If you are out of shape, get back into shape.
4. If you're a guy, feel lucky that most women aren't as shallow as we are. Your personality and physique can make up for less than perfectly symmetrical features.
5. If you're a lady, sorry we are so shallow.

While Guitarstv has a point, in real life attractiveness can matter. Up to a point.

I like to stay in shape....round shape.  :D:D

Me too.  Also, I hate to break it to you but us hetero women are shallow too.  If you pile on the flab, we notice and may dump you for Jason Momoa if he were to become single again.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: June 05, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »
I need a rec for my almost 12 year old daughter.  She has beautiful curly hair that lately has been going a bit flat.  I bought her some supermarket curly hair shampoo recently (Pantene) and we have a curly hair 'product' that she's been applying but still her curls are looking a bit less curly and she's upset about it.

It's possible that it's just all her hormones making her hair go straighter but I was wondering if maybe she would be a good candidate for the no-poo, curly girl hair washing techniques.  Being a wavy haired person myself, I have absolutely no clue about this.  I tried googling but came up with a bunch of really expensive hair products. 

I use TreSemme Botanique nourish and replenish with coconut milk and aloe vera for conditioner. It has to be that exact brand because you can't have silicone in it. No sulfates either for shampoo. Try go to Reddit's curly hair subthread; lots of good info there. I like the Cantu brand shampoos. I use the cheapest and strongest hair gel right after I'm done with showering and after the mass amount of scrunched in gel I scrunch my hair dry with a t-shirt. Then air dry.

The main thing is to not have silicates or sulfates and not brush your hair. Use really strong gel. Don't towel dry. Air dry.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2020, 10:19:24 AM »

I would recommend seeing if your library has the original Curly Girl Method book.  Also check out the method of hair plopping with a T-shirt to dry the hair post-shower, I forget what it's called exactly. 

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: June 20, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »

I've been doing th curly girl method for 10 years. There are some groups that are helpful on FB. My main things for my hair is to avoid silicones, sulphates, heavy waxes and oils, to get the protein and moisture balance right, and to style with homemade flax seed gel, a hard hold gel, and to 'plop'.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: June 20, 2020, 05:54:53 PM »
A YouTuber I follow recently recommended a hack I have been inadvertently doing for about 10 years - go through a makeup detox and readjust your eyes to what you look like without make up. It helps turn make up from something you have to do every day otherwise you look 'sick' into a fun thing you do to dress yourself up.

(in my case it's because my skin decided to develop dermatitis from all forms of make-up so I couldn't wear it)

The other one is to spend some time working out your best colours and shapes for clothes. I know know that mid-saturation colours are the most flattering for me- if I go too light I look washed out, too saturated and I suddenly have dark circles under my eyes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »
I’ve been increasingly disappointed with drugstore mascaras, so I shelled out $25 for this cake mascara from a small company that specializes in vintage-style cosmetics. It took a couple of tries but went on smoothly once I got the consistency right (used too much water at first). It looks like it will last a long time, and I won’t end up chucking plastic tubes in the trash every few months.

(I also bought one of their lipsticks, which don’t budge for hours after you apply them. The tubes last for ages. Plus, they smell nice and look pretty.)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »
I did a coconut oil treatment on the last couple inches of my hair (fine-textured, just past shoulder length) because it's seemed extra frizzy lately. After a couple of hours, I shampooed and conditioned normally and let it air-dry after only toweling the ends it lightly and finger-combing. I haven't seen my hair this curly in years!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: June 26, 2020, 06:57:49 PM »
I have oily skin and deepset eyes. Western eye products just don't work for me, but Japanese products do. I guess they have the same issues. The BEST mascara I have ever used is called Heroine Make, and can be purchased on Amazon. It's not even expensive. It will not shift at all during the day, not even slightly.

The best cleanser I've used is straight macadamia oil from the supermarket. I keep it in the fridge, and just wipe it on/off with some cotton makeup pads.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #298 on: July 01, 2020, 09:56:22 AM »

THANK YOU!

I'm a guy, but I recently started taking a medication that will make me even more prone to acne. And I have issues with the feeling of soap on my skin, I rinse way too much and can't wash my face without getting water everywhere. This sounds like it'd be much easier approach for me.

If you are prone to acne, don't use coconut oil, it's one of the few oils that clogs pores, most don't. You can google which oils are best for acne prone skin. My sister is extremely acne prone and uses jojoba oil, which is the most similar to natural skin oil.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: July 01, 2020, 10:00:38 AM »
I did a coconut oil treatment on the last couple inches of my hair (fine-textured, just past shoulder length) because it's seemed extra frizzy lately. After a couple of hours, I shampooed and conditioned normally and let it air-dry after only toweling the ends it lightly and finger-combing. I haven't seen my hair this curly in years!

Lol, the last coconut oil treatment I did left me with an afro, it was quite spectacular. Unfortunately, coconut oil can act similar to protein in hair, so the last inch turned to a crisp and started breaking off :(