Author Topic: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks  (Read 67955 times)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
Re: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks
« Reply #250 on: June 06, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
I just have to share here that I finally figured out how to give myself a complete Brazilian wax! There was a lot of trial and error and the first time I kept getting a cramp from the contorting, but now I'm saving $50 a month and getting a yoga workout! LOL

I have my own wax pot (it's like a mini crockpot that I bought for $50 about three years ago and it's still going strong) and I use the hard wax and wooden sticks that I buy in bulk from a beauty supply store. The key is to have a really large handheld mirror you can lay on the floor to see "the area" :)

I've also experimented with the sugar wax recipes on youtube with very good results for my legs and underarms (they use just regular sugar, water, and lemon juice that you cook on the stove into a gel). I might switch to that method once I run out of hard wax for even more savings.

I did my bikini (not Brazilian) a few years ago. Too painful.

But I love buying the pre-waxes strips for my legs. About $15 for 40 strips and I get 8-10 uses in.

DeniseNJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
1.  Cheap conditioner.  I use it to shave and I also never use shampoo.  I "wash" my curly hair with lots of conditioner, gentle scrubbing, lots of rinsing.  Then I use my nice conditioner in the normal way. I haven't used shampoo in many years.
2. Jojoba oil.  I use it all over, hair and body.
3. Store knock offs of expensive brands, like cerave.
4. Sunscreen!!!!!!
5. Retin A--worth every penny.  Can be had by prescription or bought cheap online.  It is the gold standard in anti aging.  If you only do one thing use sunscreen.  If you only do two things, use sunscreen and retin A.

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2019, 12:56:31 AM »
Retin A--worth every penny.  Can be had by prescription or bought cheap online.  It is the gold standard in anti aging.  If you only do one thing use sunscreen.  If you only do two things, use sunscreen and retin A.
Agreed. You can bypass a lot of expensive moisturisers by using prescription tretinoin instead. Does more and is cheaper.

Also, exercise, sleeping well, and a good diet will help your appearance more than expensive makeup. And posture. Can make a big difference to how you look, as well as make you feel better - https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en.

I'm trying to lift my game so am also half-heartedly splodging on lippy at work these days. Not sure the world has registered this yet.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: June 14, 2019, 06:11:49 AM »
How do you guys feel about cheap sunscreen vs expensive sunscreen?  After my younger kid got badly burnt at the pool a few days ago with her summer camp, I splashed out on Euro 17 sunscreen.  It's the brand (La Roche Posay) that my dermatologist recommends.  The cheap stuff costs around Euro 10 and seems to work ok but this stuff is really nice and apparently (according to my dermatologist) has some secret ingredient that blocks both UVA and UVB really well.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: June 14, 2019, 06:55:33 AM »
How do you guys feel about cheap sunscreen vs expensive sunscreen?  After my younger kid got badly burnt at the pool a few days ago with her summer camp, I splashed out on Euro 17 sunscreen.  It's the brand (La Roche Posay) that my dermatologist recommends.  The cheap stuff costs around Euro 10 and seems to work ok but this stuff is really nice and apparently (according to my dermatologist) has some secret ingredient that blocks both UVA and UVB really well.

My experience with European skincare is that it's crazy expensive relative to American prices, and I've never been able to figure out why.

I use the Environmental Working Group's site (https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/) and go for the cheapest stuff that's a 1 or 2. Typically that's Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry-Touch SPF 30, because there's often a store coupon or "buy one get one" deal going on at some point in the early summer.

Not sure how much this will help you, but best of luck!

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: June 14, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
1.  Cheap conditioner.  I use it to shave and I also never use shampoo.  I "wash" my curly hair with lots of conditioner, gentle scrubbing, lots of rinsing.  Then I use my nice conditioner in the normal way. I haven't used shampoo in many years.
4. Sunscreen!!!!!!
5. Retin A--worth every penny.  Can be had by prescription or bought cheap online.  It is the gold standard in anti aging.  If you only do one thing use sunscreen.  If you only do two things, use sunscreen and retin A.

Got any links for cheap retin A online?

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: June 14, 2019, 11:02:39 PM »
How do you guys feel about cheap sunscreen vs expensive sunscreen?

I use inexpensive sunscreen on my body & expensive on my face.

But even on my face I use a body sunscreen that is about 1/3 the price per volume compared to the same brand’s “face” version. The ingredient lists are almost identical so you are just paying for fancy packaging for the smaller vile.

https://www.frezyderm.com/sun-care/body-sunscreens/sun-screen-velvet-body-spf-50/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:07:26 PM by K-ice »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2019, 04:09:54 AM »
Yes this LaRoche Posay stuff is really nice as a face sunscreen.  Not too oily. 

DeniseNJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: June 19, 2019, 11:26:59 AM »
4. Sunscreen!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVa-wq59oaQ
FiftyPlusBeauty has some suggestions in the link above.  I recommend looking up a favorite and reputable beauty youtuber to search for retin A sources.

I also recommend HotAndFlashy on Youtube for all things anti aging, especially sunscreen.  She does really thourough sunscreen reviews and has recomendations for both pricey and drug store sunscreens.  You really don't have to spend a lot to get a nice sunscreen.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2019, 10:30:49 AM »
4. Sunscreen!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVa-wq59oaQ
FiftyPlusBeauty has some suggestions in the link above.  I recommend looking up a favorite and reputable beauty youtuber to search for retin A sources.

I also recommend HotAndFlashy on Youtube for all things anti aging, especially sunscreen.  She does really thourough sunscreen reviews and has recomendations for both pricey and drug store sunscreens.  You really don't have to spend a lot to get a nice sunscreen.

Thanks Denise!!