Author Topic: 'Pretirement' app instantly converts spending to FI date delta  (Read 29895 times)

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 'Pretirement' app instantly converts spending to FI date delta
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2017, 07:06:31 AM »
I was psyched to download this tonight ... but it doesn't work in Canada :(
1967mama, I just opened it up to Canada!

Lepetitange3

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
iOS app downloaded!  Awesome tool.

Also gave it a good review in the App Store :)

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »
I very much enjoy your app.

I was thinking on my way home today, what if the net worth was graphed. So when you said I'm going to spend an extra $20 a month, you would see on a graph what kind of different it would make towards FI.

I made a very crude graph to illustrate.

@cantgrowone: I added this plot into the latest version of the app (just pushed out to the app store). After you do a "whatif", there is a plot button at the bottom that provides this comparison. Thanks for the suggestion!

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2017, 08:24:12 AM »
Oh yay I can retire at 64 :-|

Better get working on paying off that debt and saving like crazy!

Danny - Love the clean, simple look of the app (and the piggy is super cute too). I found it easy to use, but as people have already said, your average person may not have those numbers on hand. However, the type of people who would enjoy this app are your FI crowd anyway, and we DO have access to those numbers.

Being able to track progress over time would be a worthwhile addition, as progress is usually a good motivator.

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »
Oh yay I can retire at 64 :-|

Better get working on paying off that debt and saving like crazy!

Danny - Love the clean, simple look of the app (and the piggy is super cute too). I found it easy to use, but as people have already said, your average person may not have those numbers on hand. However, the type of people who would enjoy this app are your FI crowd anyway, and we DO have access to those numbers.

Being able to track progress over time would be a worthwhile addition, as progress is usually a good motivator.

Thanks @SquirrelStashe for the feedback! The trending functions and that should be ready soon. The two trending graphs I have in mind are:
- Actual asset value and predicted asset value over time
- FI age/date over time
Any others that you'd like to see?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 08:10:25 AM »
Good app, I've had some fun playing with the numbers yesterday.  Now let's see if it helps keep my spending in line :)

justaguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »
Very fun app- sent notifications to my friends/coworkers for them to download

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2017, 11:03:29 AM »
I just looked at the app for the first time in a while and noticed some of the cool improvements.

My favorite is how your invested assets grows in real-time. I just earned 20 cents while I was sitting here typing this!!!!!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
@dannymurphy - you might consider simply opening up the app so that it's available in all countries.  I just discovered a couple weeks ago that Google defaults to US-only when publishing an app.  Apple defaults to be available worldwide.

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2017, 06:06:07 AM »
@zolotiyeruki - yes, very soon, just getting the kinks worked out of various currency formats, then I'll open it up everywhere.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2017, 06:52:41 AM »
Linked through from another thread, downloaded Android version and up and running in no time.

Minor suggestion, as it's used a lot down here, the Frequency option for Save/Spend could include fortnights, i.e. two weeks.  Most mortgage payments are made on a fortnightly basis.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:40:31 PM by GT »

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2017, 07:08:40 AM »
@zolotiyeruki - yes, very soon, just getting the kinks worked out of various currency formats, then I'll open it up everywhere.

Awesome. I hope I will be able to try it then.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »
Downloaded.  Interesting.  Not much there if you are already FI.  Perhaps something to think about (e.g. suggest higher withdraw rates or spending per year amount fir assumptions or tell how much a spend will impact legacy you will leave to heirs.  Right now it just says congratulations.

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2017, 05:16:08 AM »
Maybe I'm so not tech minded but I dont really understand how it works .
Is working assets  what you have now or what you plan to have to be FIRE?
If I do just minimum contributions it says time to retirement 22 years ... Ok fair enough :)
But when I put " increase by $3600 per month " it changes that I can retire TODAY!!! Hmm that would be nice but I still need to save my $3600 per month for a few years ... confused :(

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2017, 08:35:10 AM »
If I do just minimum contributions it says time to retirement 22 years ... Ok fair enough :)
But when I put " increase by $3600 per month " it changes that I can retire TODAY!!! Hmm that would be nice but I still need to save my $3600 per month for a few years ... confused :(
There is an option under preferences to choose whether you want your annual spending to be adjusted based on the "what if" scenario.
For example: if I save $5/day on my coffee, my annual expenses go down by 365x5=1825, so not only am I getting more gains on the money I'm saving but my target is lower.
For your example, if enabled (as it is by default), the assumption is that you are saving another $3600/month by spending less. So your annual expenses go down by $43k which apparently in your case means you meet the FI criteria.
If you are wanting to run a scenario where you are actually getting another $3600/month to save (maybe a promotion or something), disable that feature in your preferences. Does that make sense?

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
Downloaded.  Interesting.  Not much there if you are already FI.  Perhaps something to think about (e.g. suggest higher withdraw rates or spending per year amount fir assumptions or tell how much a spend will impact legacy you will leave to heirs.  Right now it just says congratulations.
Thanks for the feedback Steve. Yes, the target audience is really those who are working to become FI rather than those already there. However, the latest update (currently going through the app store), does a better job of letting FIRE users test whether spending breaks their FI. I'll think about other features to better serve the already-FIRE folks.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Steve. Yes, the target audience is really those who are working to become FI rather than those already there. However, the latest update (currently going through the app store), does a better job of letting FIRE users test whether spending breaks their FI. I'll think about other features to better serve the already-FIRE folks.

Maybe a dynamic calculation of safe withdrawal rate would be useful? If you wanted to get fancy you could use some of the same logic as firesim or firecalc (i forget which one it is) and calculate the probability of portfolio survival.

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2017, 05:00:10 AM »
There is an option under preferences to choose whether you want your annual spending to be adjusted based on the "what if" scenario.
For example: if I save $5/day on my coffee, my annual expenses go down by 365x5=1825, so not only am I getting more gains on the money I'm saving but my target is lower.
For your example, if enabled (as it is by default), the assumption is that you are saving another $3600/month by spending less. So your annual expenses go down by $43k which apparently in your case means you meet the FI criteria.
If you are wanting to run a scenario where you are actually getting another $3600/month to save (maybe a promotion or something), disable that feature in your preferences. Does that make sense?
Thanks for pointing it out. I knew it was definitely user error :) I've disabled one "what if" and now the projections look right ... off I go to play :)

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
The app is now available worldwide with support for any currency. Thanks all, and keep the feedback coming.

sturmgewehr762

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »
I started using this app a while back and I refer to it several times a week, it's fun to see the money grow.  Back in reply #30 a "baseline" feature was mentioned.  Do you still have plans for this?  I really liked that suggestion.  Btw, I'm on the paid version and appreciate the work you've put into this.

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2017, 03:22:48 PM »
I started using this app a while back and I refer to it several times a week, it's fun to see the money grow.  Back in reply #30 a "baseline" feature was mentioned.  Do you still have plans for this?  I really liked that suggestion.  Btw, I'm on the paid version and appreciate the work you've put into this.
@sturmgewehr762: thank you for supporting the project! Yes, that is still coming. Got sidetracked with updates to show results/plots in terms of your age instead of just dates (that update should make it through the app store this weekend). Shoot me a PM if you'd like to be on the beta tester list to see updates early, I'll definitely be looking for beta feedback on the new trending features as they roll out.

kenaces

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »
12 years 2 months 10 days 06:53:15 and counting

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2017, 02:04:36 PM »
The latest version on the app stores now has a beta "Trends" page that tracks movement in your FI date as you regularly update asset totals. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
Love the new feature!

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2017, 12:02:21 AM »
Great app :-)!

adraywin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
I can't find the Hong Kong Dollar (HKD) currency. I hope you could add it to the available currency list. Thanks !

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2017, 09:28:05 PM »
Just got the app. Love it!

Problem: I want to pay $6 for the premium version, because it is awesome and worth much more than $6 to me. BUT according to the app $6 will delay FIRE by 35 minutes...

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »
ah, good. That's the part I was missing. I look3d to see what would happen if I saved an additional 10k/yr and I suddenly only needed about 400k which didn't sound right.

I have been enjoying this app and my FI date has shortened by 75 days so far. One thing I would like to be able to see is what the final numbers are projected to be at FI and the what-if point. I did just find the setting to change the chart to age vs calendar year.

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
A simple thing to add that would help things is to add a date label to the x axis in trends :). Currently its just data points that appear like they are an arbitrary distance apart.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »
Thought of a possible feature... how about making a countdown widget?

Clookie

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2017, 03:22:37 AM »
Love the app. Just 0.5 $ spent daily on silly things sets me back by 4 months and 22 days.

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »
I got the app in IOS and I am loving it so far! Great job and thanks for all the work you put into it!

I got 7.5 years to retirement - which sounds especially amazing because I'm 32. But my question is this - if my assets and contributions are in tax sheltered retirement accounts that I cannot withdraw from (without a penalty) until 59 1/2...

Would it be possible to add the type of assets and its classifications? Thanks!

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »
I got the app in IOS and I am loving it so far! Great job and thanks for all the work you put into it!

I got 7.5 years to retirement - which sounds especially amazing because I'm 32. But my question is this - if my assets and contributions are in tax sheltered retirement accounts that I cannot withdraw from (without a penalty) until 59 1/2...

Would it be possible to add the type of assets and its classifications? Thanks!

You can withdraw from retirement accounts without penalty. Just takes a little planning.

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
Thanks! I can see why planning would be very important... a quick google search lead me to: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-substantially-equal-periodic-payments

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
Thanks! I can see why planning would be very important... a quick google search lead me to: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-substantially-equal-periodic-payments

The Roth conversion ladder is a more popular option for early retirees... Mad Fientist has a great article on how to access retirement funds early.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »
The latest version on the app stores now has a beta "Trends" page that tracks movement in your FI date as you regularly update asset totals. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Very cool app.  How many downloads have you had?

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »

The Roth conversion ladder is a more popular option for early retirees... Mad Fientist has a great article on how to access retirement funds early.

I am new to this - and can I just say... mind.blown! Thank you!

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »
Nice app. Trying to figure out a way to set a custom FIRE amount. Right now, it seems set on 1Mil$
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:57:07 PM by vsanjay »

squirrel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2017, 02:44:51 PM »
This is so handy! Thanks for your work on this dannymurphy.
I have a DB scheme in hand already, but may want to jump ship even earlier than it will allow, so using this to tinker with my numbers for FIRE dates based on my separate investments and figuring out how to bridge an income gap until the DB is at optimum level.
Also - love the piggy icon!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2017, 06:11:12 PM »
Thank you for making this for iOS, Danny. Love that it is to the second. Great app!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2017, 02:58:21 AM »
I don't like that hitting the "save" button automatically reduces my expenses. What if it's a one-off gift or deciding to take on an extra job? My expenses would stay the same, but I'd have more going into savings.
Unless I"m missing something

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »
I don't like that hitting the "save" button automatically reduces my expenses. What if it's a one-off gift or deciding to take on an extra job? My expenses would stay the same, but I'd have more going into savings.
You can change this under settings>calculations untick the last option What-If: Include "what-if" recurring saving/spending in annual spending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »
So I'm using the following formula to calculate my anticipated FIRE date. If I increase the contributions by $500/mo, it changes my FIRE data (in excel) by about 8 months. If I add a reoccurring $500 savings increase in the application, it reduces my time to FIRE by over 3 years. Is this a bug in the application, my excel formula or a difference in how you are calculating the average return? I'm using a modest 6%.

=TODAY() +NPER(6%/12,-35000/12, -L10, 30000*25)/12*365.25

Edit: I should also note, that if I take my $35K annual contributions and increase it to $41K in the baseline section of the application, it reduces my time to FIRE by only 8 months (As my excel calculation does), not the 3 years which the hypothetical contributions would.

Edit 2: By removing the "What-If: Adjust 'what-if' reoccurring savings/spending with inflation" checkbox, the new calculation drops to 9 months. Interesting.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:40:30 PM by Rhoon »

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2017, 07:10:45 AM »
You can change this under settings>calculations untick the last option What-If: Include "what-if" recurring saving/spending in annual spending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that makes sense! Thanks!

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2017, 08:18:47 AM »
Nice app. Trying to figure out a way to set a custom FIRE amount. Right now, it seems set on 1Mil$
Thanks! The FIRE amount is a function of annual spending, safe withdrawal rate, and inflation. Amount = (Spending*inflation(time))/SWR

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
Hey, just wanted to say I like the trends feature, just started using it and it's pretty cool if you keep it updated on a regular basis

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2018, 05:28:11 AM »
I also Downloaded it and put it on my phone. It says I have to work until 90 BUT I have a guaranteed pension (eligible from 61 upwards) as well as a state supplied pensioen-like benefits (from. 67 and upwards)... So I'm actually saving to cover the FI to pension date, and not the permanently FI date.

AfricanMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2018, 06:55:44 AM »
Does the annual contribution amount go up with inflation or does it stay constant? There is no option to increase by x percentage per year.

I plan to increase my monthly/annual investment contribution through the years as my income trends up.

Great app by the way. Love it.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2018, 06:29:50 PM »
Download for Android and iOS:
The Pretirement App

As a disclaimer: I’m sure a lot of you mustachians will find the FI date calculation oversimplified, but hopefully the app is still useful for evaluating impacts of spending decisions. I’d love your feedback on any changes/additions that improve its usability for this very financially savvy crowd.

I thought cool app, I'll download it right now. And then it asks for my birthdate but won't let me enter and makes me go through the calendar. I'm not clicking back almost 500 times!!

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2018, 06:35:58 PM »
Download for Android and iOS:
The Pretirement App

As a disclaimer: I’m sure a lot of you mustachians will find the FI date calculation oversimplified, but hopefully the app is still useful for evaluating impacts of spending decisions. I’d love your feedback on any changes/additions that improve its usability for this very financially savvy crowd.

I thought cool app, I'll download it right now. And then it asks for my birthdate but won't let me enter and makes me go through the calendar. I'm not clicking back almost 500 times!!

I stuck with today's date and while my age is wrong it still gives me an idea to how much sooner/later I can retire with changes in saving or spending. I'll have to play with more but it seems pretty cool.