Author Topic: 'Pretirement' app instantly converts spending to FI date delta  (Read 29892 times)

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ever had this conversation with a spouse?
You: “That’s not in the budget.” Spouse: “So?” You: “So, we’re trying to become financially independent.” Spouse: “Well I’m sure this won’t change much” You: “Gee, I wish there was an app I could use to help explain this.”
...or this conversation with yourself?
You: “I’d like to get a new car, and it’s only $300/month. How does that affect my future financial freedom? Gee, it sure would be nice to have an app to help me with this decision.”

Good news, folks, this is an Android app that does exactly this. The ‘Pretirement’ app calculates how much a spending decision will change your financial independence date. Here’s how it works:
1.   You enter basic financials and assumptions (assets, baseline contributions, expected returns, inflation rates, etc) and it provides your baseline FI date
2.   Whenever you are faced with a financial decision (or argument), you open the app and find out how many years/months/days earlier or later that decision allows you to be financially independent

Download for Android and iOS:
The Pretirement App

As a disclaimer: I’m sure a lot of you mustachians will find the FI date calculation oversimplified, but hopefully the app is still useful for evaluating impacts of spending decisions. I’d love your feedback on any changes/additions that improve its usability for this very financially savvy crowd.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:49:40 AM by dannymurphy »

dhc

• Stubble
Re: 'Pretirement' app instantly converts spending to FI date delta
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 04:34:59 PM »
Nice!

I couldn't find it searching in the Play store, though; I had to follow your link.

lchu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
Wow, that looks nice!

At one point, I built myself a spreadsheet to do something similar and got frustrated when I made a mistake with some of the math behind it.  I can see myself playing around with your app, definitely planning on showing it to some family members who have the mental conversation you described.

As far as features/updates:

I feel like the general concept of your app would appeal to people just discovering FIRE or who are going through debt-repayment, but they might be turned off / overwhelmed by needing to input a lot of data when they first try to use the app. (IIRC, there was an article a while back about a large number of seniors giving up on using AARP's retirement calculator tools within 5 minutes because they just weren't financially literate enough or didn't have immediate access to that information).  Conversely, you said that you were concerned about the simplified FI date calculation for the "advanced mustache crowd" -- maybe give the user the ability to choose a "mustache level" that allows for different inputs?

Level 1 is an extremely basic calculation that is mostly built on average assumptions with $0 saved and $0 contributions, Level 2 allows you to enter the amount currently saved / contributions, Level 3 allows you to adjust expected returns and/or inflation, etc.  Top Level just automatically punches you in the face for even contemplating your purchase.  ;-)

How challenging / invasive would it be to add a feature that connects the app to Android Pay (or similar) and force the user to review the "Pretirement" effect before authorizing the purchase?

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »
:( not available in Mexico!

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »
I just do it with some simple math. Like lets say I want $3 coffee instead of my home made stuff:

$3x250 (working days a year) x25 (inverse of 4%) = $18,750 invested just to pay for coffee.

Or each $1 wasted a day costs $9,125 that I'll need.

your car at 300/month would be $90,000    shit, that's a used ferrarri in cash!

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
I downloaded the app, I'll give it a shot.  I punched in the set up numbers and it told me I was FI and congrats and then I double checked and I fat fingered an extra zero lol.

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
Nice!

I couldn't find it searching in the Play store, though; I had to follow your link.

Thanks dhc. It was probably a few pages down. Presumably Google doesn't give you first page status until you're a more legitimate app developer with more downloads. We'll see if this one moves up the list.
-Danny

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »
Conversely, you said that you were concerned about the simplified FI date calculation for the "advanced mustache crowd" -- maybe give the user the ability to choose a "mustache level" that allows for different inputs?
I've thought about this a lot. I think the first "advanced" features I would add would be to include time-tagged stuff in your baseline. For example, my mortgage is paid off in 5 years and at that point my baseline savings rate goes up by 1000/month, or whatever. I'd also like to separate the baseline into pre-tax and post-tax assets with some assumptions about tax rates of conversion for the pre-tax stuff. What other advanced features would you like to see?

Level 1 is an extremely basic calculation that is mostly built on average assumptions with $0 saved and $0 contributions, Level 2 allows you to enter the amount currently saved / contributions, Level 3 allows you to adjust expected returns and/or inflation, etc.  Top Level just automatically punches you in the face for even contemplating your purchase.  ;-)
Punching in the face might be tough to do, but maybe I can work out a really loud painful sound that plays when you try to spend too much, ha ;)

How challenging / invasive would it be to add a feature that connects the app to Android Pay (or similar) and force the user to review the "Pretirement" effect before authorizing the purchase?
I really like this, but it would definitely be a lot of work (probably more than I have time available). It sure wouldn't make me best friends with the e-retailers either!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
That's cool! But it tells me "this item is not available in your country". :(  If you get a web version up I'd love to play with it!

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
:( not available in Mexico!
Hi LadyStache. I just opened it up for Mexico. Let me know what you think!

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 04:13:07 PM »
That's cool! But it tells me "this item is not available in your country". :(  If you get a web version up I'd love to play with it!
I just added Australia to the list... assuming that covers "Anywhere/Perth"?

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »
I just added Australia to the list... assuming that covers "Anywhere/Perth"?

Thanks, it works now! :) Finding it enjoyable to use so far!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 04:52:35 PM »
I've been enjoying using this app for the last few days. Makes what if questions super simple to answer.

krustyburger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 04:05:04 AM »
Whats your approx date for release of the apple version?
I've been keeping this tab open to check, now posting to follow :)

PrinsKheldar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 07:13:38 AM »
This sounds like it could be a rally handy app!

Looking forward to the iphone-version.. =)

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »
You: “That’s not in the budget.” Spouse: “So?” You: “So, we’re trying to become financially independent.” Spouse: “Well I’m sure this won’t change much” You: “Gee, I wish there was an app I could use to help explain this.”
...or this conversation with yourself?
You: “I’d like to get a new car, and it’s only $300/month. How does that affect my future financial freedom? Gee, it sure would be nice to have an app to help me with this decision.”

Good news, folks, this is an Android app that does exactly this. The ‘Pretirement’ app calculates how much a spending decision will change your financial independence date. Here’s how it works:
1.   You enter basic financials and assumptions (assets, baseline contributions, expected returns, inflation rates, etc) and it provides your baseline FI date
2.   Whenever you are faced with a financial decision (or argument), you open the app and find out how many years/months/days earlier or later that decision allows you to be financially independent

The Android app is available here: Pretirement: Financial Freedom on Google Play Store
It’s coming for iPhone, but not quite ready.

As a disclaimer: I’m sure a lot of you mustachians will find the FI date calculation oversimplified, but hopefully the app is still useful for evaluating impacts of spending decisions. I’d love your feedback on any changes/additions that improve its usability for this very financially savvy crowd.

Great idea to convert $ into a tangible amount of time taken out of your life.

I've thought about a "countdown" clock too that adjusts with monthly budget updates. Maybe it could be permanently stuck in the Android notification bar so you can see how many years/weeks/days whatever you have until FI/RE

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 04:04:44 PM »
Another suggestion would be to have a monthly check in option. You could input your net worth and see if you are getting better or worse than the baseline case you originally set up. Is that date shifting forward or backward...

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
Another suggestion would be to have a monthly check in option. You could input your net worth and see if you are getting better or worse than the baseline case you originally set up. Is that date shifting forward or backward...
I like this, it's definitely on the list of things to add. Thanks!

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
Whats your approx date for release of the apple version?
I've been keeping this tab open to check, now posting to follow :)
I should have it out in a few weeks. I'll make sure to let you know.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »
Very very cool app, thanks!

Can you make it so it can show you the numbers? Such as money needed for retirement, and the yearly draw down rate etc?  I love it when financial calculators show all the data

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 12:38:11 AM »
Posting to follow ... while waiting for the iphone version:-)

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »

I’d love your feedback on any changes/additions that improve its usability for this very financially savvy crowd.

I do not have a smart phone, but I think this is a fantastic idea!  Yes, that above conversation has happened multiple times.  However, I'm not quite quick enough in the head to be able to show the calculation on paper or a calculator.  Does the app show how you come up with the number?  For example, let’s say SO wants to purchase a $25 thingamabob.  Does it show the math on how that $25 affects the greater overall investment/return?  So I can point to *this first number/$25*, that’s the cost right now, then *this next number* is the total cost over X time frame, and you’ll need Y amount..etc..  Or does the app already do this?  Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »
Just installed it! It's pretty!

Question: when I click "save" say $200/monthly, does the app assume that $200 is being invested or just not spent?

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
Downloaded!  Thanks for this!  I love it.  I hope it helps encourage my Wife to be less of a consuma sukka!

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »

Question: when I click "save" say $200/monthly, does the app assume that $200 is being invested or just not spent?

I believe it assumes that the default use for those savings is to invest them along with your other chunk of annual investments.

BrokeNoMo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 03:22:45 PM »
Looks like I can retire when I'm 92! yay.

Definitely eye opening. Thanks for the work you put into this app.

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 05:39:35 AM »
Sounds interesting , can't wait to play.. Waiting patiently for the iPhone version :)

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 06:11:24 AM »

I believe it assumes that the default use for those savings is to invest them along with your other chunk of annual investments.
That's exactly right. Similarly if you were to click "save $200 now" it would add 200 to your investment principal.

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 06:12:53 AM »
Yes! This is going at the top of the list. Thanks for the recommendation cheapass

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 06:16:44 AM »
Very very cool app, thanks!

Can you make it so it can show you the numbers? Such as money needed for retirement, and the yearly draw down rate etc?  I love it when financial calculators show all the data
I will definitely add this in. Thanks for the suggestion DieHard. I'll add a "drill-down" button to the results.

eagerlearner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 01:30:18 AM »
I'd love to try this,  says not available in the UK?

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
following so I know when the iphone app comes out!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »
Following because would also like the iphone version. Thank you!

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2017, 10:21:13 AM »
Excellent work. Thanks for doing this.

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
Looks sweet! Following for iPhone.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
Pretty cool. Another iPhone user here :)

crimwell

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
Really cool app, just downloaded it and played with it for a few minutes. I agree that a monthly or quarterly check-ins option with a graph would be good.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »
Looks cool.

Can't download in China, any chance that might change?

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 06:19:37 PM »
Oooo...sounds cool. Will wait for the iPhone version :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »
I have a suggestion for you.

Add an "Age" slow on the baseline page.  Then show how old we'll be on the results, along with the year and countdown.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
So cool - just installed, love it, finally something simple for people who are hopeless at math - THANK YOU!

Yes - showing age along with the date would be another great incentive.

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »
The iOS version is now available! Get it here:
Pretirement: Financial Freedom on iTunes

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
PTF - Thanks dannymurphy!

Edit: Just tried it out on my Chomebook Flip, and it works great :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:22:25 PM by ToTheMoon »

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 09:28:13 PM »
Downloaded for my iPad and rated! Thanks for making this!

krustyburger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 10:56:06 PM »
Awesome! I just tried it on my iphone. I left you a review on the app store :)

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
ToTheMoon, Half Stached, casserole_dish... thanks for the good feedback!

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2017, 09:52:57 PM »
I very much enjoy your app.

I was thinking on my way home today, what if the net worth was graphed. So when you said I'm going to spend an extra $20 a month, you would see on a graph what kind of different it would make towards FI.

I made a very crude graph to illustrate.

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »
I very much enjoy your app.

I was thinking on my way home today, what if the net worth was graphed. So when you said I'm going to spend an extra $20 a month, you would see on a graph what kind of different it would make towards FI.

I made a very crude graph to illustrate.

Great idea cantgrowone. I'm almost done with some of the other trending plots recommended by others above, so this will be easy to add. I'll let you know when its done!

moonpalace

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2017, 08:22:14 AM »
Very cool! Just installed on android and was up and running in about a minute! Looking forward to new features already.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2017, 01:35:44 AM »
I was psyched to download this tonight ... but it doesn't work in Canada :(