Author Topic: $150 worth of mushrooms  (Read 3689 times)

wbranch

• Stubble
$150 worth of mushrooms
« on: May 06, 2018, 08:59:16 AM »
Found 2.5 lbs of morels yesterday, it looks like retail rate is around $60/lb but it is better to look at them as priceless. Eating some fresh and started the dehydrator this morning for the rest. Looking for mushrooms is also good exercise, covered 2+ miles with 500+ ft elevation change all off trail stepping over down trees, thick brush, etc and fresh mountain air. 

Cali

• Stubble
Re: $150 worth of mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »
That is awesome! We used to visit a place in Canada that had Chantrelles. They were such a rare and delicious treat! (and yes I know in the grand scheme of things Chantrelles are not really rare but mushrooming was super fun when i was a kid and I'm not paying for exotic mushrooms even as an adult)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:33:30 PM by Cali »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
Morel hunting is competive around here! Good find!!

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »
Awesome! 

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:21:03 AM »
Found another 1/2 lb yesterday afternoon on a quick hike! A little rain this week and snow keeps melting so I am assuming they will keep on popping at higher elevations as things warm up.

People are secretive about there spots around here. But there 100s of thousands of acres of state, national forest and industrial timberland within a couple hrs drive of us that it seems like nobody goes out on. Don't get me wrong, the roads and main trails are all extremely busy with people, but we never run into people once we are 1/4 mile off trail. There are probably thousands of lbs that go unpicked or eaten by wildlife. The areas we were in yesterday afternoon had heavy elk and deer sign, so they probably got to some of them. High black bear population as well so I am sure they get quite a few too. Good time of year for figuring out wild game habits for hunting season.

It is also a good time to ID other plants that are good for foraging. Serviceberries (June berries, saskatoons, etc.) are in full bloom, wild crabapples budding, elderberries are easy to ID this time of year but won't bloom for a while, and various other wild berries.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »
I went truffle hunting last summer in Italy and had so much fun. Cesare and his dog had the routine down, and it was so neat seeing the dog sniff them out (they’re apparently as good as pigs!) and stare at the spot until we caught up to dig it out. I could be very happy mushroom hunting as a hobby or job even, I think.

Congrats on your find!

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 10:55:38 PM »
Nice, that's awesome! Mushroom hunting is one of the hobbies I'd like to get into but haven't set aside the time as of yet...

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
I have been working to set aside time for things like this more often. Very rewarding after sitting in the office for 45-50 hrs a week!

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 05:49:34 AM »
We hit the jackpot a few days ago - 5 pounds of morels!  We wouldn't think of selling them, but it's awesome to think that we can share them with elerly relatives who can't get out in the woods anymore.  My Dad taught me how to hunt for shrooms, he's gone now, but when we get together with cousins from his side of the family, it's always a topic of conversation. 

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
No morels in my woods, but I'm eagerly awaiting chanterelle season, which should begin in June if the weather is good.

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
Only found a handful of morels this year.

Also hunt for hen of the woods, chicken of the woods, hericium, oyster mushrooms, dryad saddle.

Things found in smaller quantities, blewits, velvet foot, lobster mushrooms, lactarius indigo, gray knights, inky cap, giant puffball, chanterelles (usually have bugs in them), aborted entoloma (although have not found a good way to prepare), wood ears (good in stirfry). Have found but not eaten, or only tried once boletes, russulas.

Have maybe only sold a few times, but do go to a food swap to trade, also once traded chicken of the woods for actual chicken pound for pound. I've seen people selling chicken and hen of the woods on craigslist. I might try that this year, or selling to local restaurants.

Most of the fun is hunting them, not necessarily eating them.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »
If you're not having fun eating them, you're not frying them in enough butter.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 09:58:52 AM »

People are secretive about there spots around here. But there 100s of thousands of acres of state, national forest and industrial timberland within a couple hrs drive of us that it seems like nobody goes out on.

You are living my dream. I really want to do this because I love mushrooms, but I don't know (or haven't made a plan, I guess I should say) how to start/where to begin. Have you ever read The Mushroom Hunters by Langdon Cook? I think you might enjoy this.  Other thing I want to try is growing my own mushrooms.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 10:01:54 AM »
If you're not having fun eating them, you're not frying them in enough butter.

Advice to live (and cook) by, and not just for mushrooms!